Quantcast

First Look @ Selena Gomez' "Rare Beauty" Makeup Line

MorenaP

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,244 974 234
Alleybux
I have friends who have bought a few things and they really like the foundation and the liquid blush. I might take back on what I said about not trying it.

It's apparently doing really well, not as big as Fenty obv but a bunch of her stuff is on the best sellers list on Sephora and a few Sephora around me have sold out.

Foreign

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,046 29 15
Alleybux
I picked up the foundation, concealer and one of the lip balms from the line and I honestly really really like it. The shade match was great! Like my skin but better, very natural looking and lightweight, great for everyday use and it’s buildable so it covered my minor imperfections. I have combination skin and it lasted well on my face for at least 6 hours.

I grabbed the brow product but it was the wrong shade so I’ll be exchanging it soon. I’ll probably try out the blush and highlight next but will skip the other products.

It’s not for everyone and I know she’s not a fan favorite here but I like the line so far. I was pleasantly surprised tbh and I like the philanthropic goal of the brand as well as the design of the bottles that have people with disabilities in mind.

FDM

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
9,486 33 11
Alleybux
Main thoughts on Rare(cause the YT got the PR and haven’t really worn the products all day so take their videos with a grain of salt):

*The blushes are the best product of the line. They are really pigmented and a dot will do you. The texture is between Benetint and NARS liquid blushes, sorta mousse not cream ala Fenty’s cream blushes(which people don’t know how to use either but that’s another thread for another day). DON’T APPLY ON TOP OF POWDER IT WILL NOT SET BEFORE YOU CAN BLEND.

*The foundation and concealer are not really for oily/oil combo skin, but If u set it with your normal powder (not the Rare touch up powder, it’s has a sheen to it similar to the primer so no bueno for us oil slicks) & setting spray it can work for you.
*The primer isn’t great and has a pearl pigment in it, so it’s luminous, but if you don’t have a primer the foundation will separate on your skin and settle into every crease and pore on your face(making you look old).

*The Fenty primers and Milk Hydro grip work will underneath the Rare foundation.

* The shade range lines up with the ABH liquid foundations

* The Rare sponge sucks, use a brush, your fingers, or your beauty blender. The sponge makes the foundation patchy, the way it’s made it like those fx makeup sponges that are used to create texture ie for fake wounds and facial hair. I don’t know what happened there.

* The lip stuff is nice but you probably have something like it already. Nice colors. The Balm lipsticks remind me of the Fenty ones, the Fenty ones are more hydrating, but the Rare balms feel good too. Liquid lips remind me of Sephora cream stain matte liquid lipstick.

* Setting spray, meh! Get UD all nighter.

* there’s a learning curve for the liner, it reminds me of the KVD Tattoo liner but the tip is too big, imo, but super Black and quick dry time. Looks fantastic on.

Overall it’s a cool line, but it really for the dry girlies. If you like being caked up full beat, this foundation ain’t for you either. The color range could use more neutrals, the one Selena picked for herself is hella yellow(& I was like girl why? ). The foundation is REALLY thin and must be shaken well and stores up right ALL the time. The marketing was not great, so many people didn’t even know this line was coming out & Selena isn’t known for makeup looks so the push was not really there(& this was pre- COVID). I actually think she missed the mature skin market, because the texture and finish of the foundation might be up their alley. It needs some tweaking,& everything ain’t for everybody, but it’s promising but the best Products aren’t the main products of the line. The timing also didn’t help the launch and everybody and their mama is having makeup sales for Labor Day. I don’t see the foundation being anybody’s favorite.

MaxineFactor

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
7,601 203 31
Alleybux
Main thoughts on Rare(cause the YT got the PR and haven’t really worn the products all day so take their videos with a grain of salt):

*The blushes are the best product of the line. They are really pigmented and a dot will do you. The texture is between Benetint and NARS liquid blushes, sorta mousse not cream ala Fenty’s cream blushes(which people don’t know how to use either but that’s another thread for another day). DON’T APPLY ON TOP OF POWDER IT WILL NOT SET BEFORE YOU CAN BLEND.

*The foundation and concealer are not really for oily/oil combo skin, but If u set it with your normal powder (not the Rare touch up powder, it’s has a sheen to it similar to the primer so no bueno for us oil slicks) & setting spray it can work for you.
*The primer isn’t great and has a pearl pigment in it, so it’s luminous, but if you don’t have a primer the foundation will separate on your skin and settle into every crease and pore on your face(making you look old).

*The Fenty primers and Milk Hydro grip work will underneath the Rare foundation.

* The shade range lines up with the ABH liquid foundations

* The Rare sponge sucks, use a brush, your fingers, or your beauty blender. The sponge makes the foundation patchy, the way it’s made it like those fx makeup sponges that are used to create texture ie for fake wounds and facial hair. I don’t know what happened there.

* The lip stuff is nice but you probably have something like it already. Nice colors. The Balm lipsticks remind me of the Fenty ones, the Fenty ones are more hydrating, but the Rare balms feel good too. Liquid lips remind me of Sephora cream stain matte liquid lipstick.

* Setting spray, meh! Get UD all nighter.

* there’s a learning curve for the liner, it reminds me of the KVD Tattoo liner but the tip is too big, imo, but super Black and quick dry time. Looks fantastic on.

Overall it’s a cool line, but it really for the dry girlies. If you like being caked up full beat, this foundation ain’t for you either. The color range could use more neutrals, the one Selena picked for herself is hella yellow(& I was like girl why? ). The foundation is REALLY thin and must be shaken well and stores up right ALL the time. The marketing was not great, so many people didn’t even know this line was coming out & Selena isn’t known for makeup looks so the push was not really there(& this was pre- COVID). I actually think she missed the mature skin market, because the texture and finish of the foundation might be up their alley. It needs some tweaking,& everything ain’t for everybody, but it’s promising but the best Products aren’t the main products of the line. The timing also didn’t help the launch and everybody and their mama is having makeup sales for Labor Day. I don’t see the foundation being anybody’s favorite.

What’s the best way to apply the Fenty cream blushes versus her liquid blush?

MamasGunnn0001

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,525 825 455
Alleybux
I wasn't thrilled with the packaging at first until she explained that it's intended to help those with arthritis and other disabilities that may have trouble grasping more sleek designs. I have a new appreciation for it now.
Oh wow now that’s cool. It’s quite specific too, I’ve never heard of a beauty line with those intentions. I don’t wear makeup but I have a younger cousin who LOVES doing makeup but she has severe arthritis in her hands that’s gotten worse over the years. I’ll have to tell her about this

FDM

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
9,486 33 11
Alleybux
What’s the best way to apply the Fenty cream blushes versus her liquid blush?
Your fingers or a brush on top of foundation before you powder. Liquids and creams together before you set( it won’t blend down if you powder your foundation 1st or it will break up your foundation)

scorpiomoon6

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,237 333 98
Alleybux
I picked up the foundation, concealer and one of the lip balms from the line and I honestly really really like it. The shade match was great! Like my skin but better, very natural looking and lightweight, great for everyday use and it’s buildable so it covered my minor imperfections. I have combination skin and it lasted well on my face for at least 6 hours.

I grabbed the brow product but it was the wrong shade so I’ll be exchanging it soon. I’ll probably try out the blush and highlight next but will skip the other products.

It’s not for everyone and I know she’s not a fan favorite here but I like the line so far. I was pleasantly surprised tbh and I like the philanthropic goal of the brand as well as the design of the bottles that have people with disabilities in mind.

You convinced me to do an order. Regardless of how people view her, if the makeup is good, it's good.

1SilkyBabe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,243 932 1,271
Alleybux
Everyone did all of that hating for nothing. The foundation, concealer, blush, lip balm and lip souffle are all nice / natural looking products. I'm still on the fence with the eyebrow duo, but I can say that it lasts and did not smudge all day.

Her team put a lot of thought into this brand. The color payoff is pigmented so that people who struggle with rheumatoid arthritis and lupus do not have to have to be heavy handed to get desired color payoff. Also, the bottles are designed so that people with arthritis/lupus can easily open the bottles.

Overall, you must set the foundation and concealer with a light setting powder, but it feels and looks like skin, got several compliments. My skin is normal to dry.

scorpiomoon6

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,237 333 98
Alleybux
So I bought the primer, foundation, concealer, blush and lipstick (I know I went overboard). Here's my honest review that will be helpful hopefully:

Primer - GREAT for dry skin. The luminosity / pigment was a bit much. If you like that glossy/dewy look, this primer is great for that. But if you have oily skin, avoid.

Foundation - ummmm what is this henny? You have to shake it first which is fine. But it is extremely watery and slippery. Like, extremely. The color match was good but I couldn't get over how it slipped everywhere. You can NOT apply this with your fingers or a brush. A sponge is the only way it works with the foundation. A hard pass.

Concealer - same as above. I just don't understand the texture.

Blush - not as slippery but the pigment packed a punch. The color (Faith) was GORGEOUS. A little bit truly goes a long way. I liked this product.

Lipstick - URGH. Same texture as the foundation/concealer buuuut it gives a blurred/blotted effect which can kind of be sexy? It does feel nice on the lips and lasted around 4~.

Would give my purchases and experience with this brand a C.

Green Light

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
105,679 1,025 754
Alleybux
This brand launch has been getting rave reviews.

The expectations when it was announced was collectively low and seems to have surpassed them.

That liquid blush looks amazing especially on the woc gurus.

Angel Salvadore

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
124,431 1,672 294
Alleybux
This brand launch has been getting rave reviews.

The expectations when it was announced was collectively low and seems to have surpassed them.

That liquid blush looks amazing especially on the woc gurus.

Yeah I’ve seen quite a few Black Youtubers review the line and they’ve all looked great. I’ll probably try the foundation next month when I pick up my bday gift from Sephora. I like light coverage bases, so I may like the foundation.

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,319 4,977 407
Alleybux
Jackie Aina's review:

So I bought the primer, foundation, concealer, blush and lipstick (I know I went overboard). Here's my honest review that will be helpful hopefully:

Primer - GREAT for dry skin. The luminosity / pigment was a bit much. If you like that glossy/dewy look, this primer is great for that. But if you have oily skin, avoid.

Foundation - ummmm what is this henny? You have to shake it first which is fine. But it is extremely watery and slippery. Like, extremely. The color match was good but I couldn't get over how it slipped everywhere. You can NOT apply this with your fingers or a brush. A sponge is the only way it works with the foundation. A hard pass.

Concealer - same as above. I just don't understand the texture.

Blush - not as slippery but the pigment packed a punch. The color (Faith) was GORGEOUS. A little bit truly goes a long way. I liked this product.

Lipstick - URGH. Same texture as the foundation/concealer buuuut it gives a blurred/blotted effect which can kind of be sexy? It does feel nice on the lips and lasted around 4~.

Would give my purchases and experience with this brand a C.

Jackie also noted and said the same thing about the foundation and concealer wrt the consistency and application. She also said the concealer was too sheer.

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
I just ordered the liquid blush. I'm not going to lie, they look absolutely gorgeous on medium/deep skin tones. The rest of the line I don't care but the blushes immediately spoke to me.
yes I bought the blush as well. I like it a lot.
the rest of the line seems like what glossier should produce - i.e. lighter coverage products, instead of zero coverage.

blkbarbie310

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
299 11
Alleybux
I bought the foundation, concealer, a liquid dewy blush and two of the matte lip products. I am surprisingly impressed. The foundation is the best color match I've had to date. I wore it for 14 hours yesterday and it held up pretty well set with Nars loose powder. My girlfriends commented how great my skin looked versus noting my makeup looks good. I'm happy I tried this line.

milk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,824 892 334
Alleybux
I kinda want to try out the foundation but I'm clearing up my skin to use the mac face and body foundation. Might try out the lip souffle though

Swan

Secular Woman
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
400,070 5,387 939
Alleybux
Jackie Aina's review:

Jackie also noted and said the same thing about the foundation and concealer wrt the consistency and application. She also said the concealer was too sheer.

The bright orange lip shade looked so much better on her than I imagined it would. Noted.

I went back and bought the Faith blush shade after using and liking the deluxe sample I reviewed earlier. Beautiful but soooo soo pigmented. You need the LIGHTEST hand with this shade.

rare-beauty_faith_002_product.jpg

The Teraccota shade I wanted was sold out in-store so I will just order online once I get my %15 code later this week. Seems to be a really popular shade.

rare-beauty_love_001_product.jpg

They gave a me also a foundation sample but I haven't used it yet..the shade in the pack doesn't look like it will work for me, plus I didn't like when Arnell said that it felt oily. It's looked pretty good on the people who I've seen review it but..oily was a turnoff.

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,319 4,977 407
Alleybux
I'm honestly positively surprised by this brand. I'm interested in trying it.

brioche

gilded
Reaction score
Reactions
105,423 3,073 1,515
Alleybux
People are claiming the thing about it being better for people with disabilities is a lie made up by STANs.

Lady Ruffalo

Divinity in Motion
Reaction score
Reactions
51,103 1,554 712
Alleybux
I wanted to purchase her stuff but honestly i cant bring mysf to purchase something from someone who is so ugh to me.

Her blushes look amazing like seriously breath taking especially on woc, like nyma and jackie killed it...imma need to find me some dupes.

W3irdscience

Old skool heaux!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
29,565 543 680
Alleybux
I’m passing till there is a value kit or suntin... I’d try a sample but most stores aren’t making them at this point.

I have combo oily skin and the mere thought of the foundation and concealer sliding around is just a NO, especially with mask wearing!!!

The blushes do look interesting but the rest, meh...

anna7

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,257 3,551 483
Alleybux
Foundation is trash on my dry skin. I don’t have texture issues but it looks like I do when I wear this.

scorpiomoon6

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,237 333 98
Alleybux
Foundation is trash on my dry skin. I don’t have texture issues but it looks like I do when I wear this.
I had to return the foundation. I'm not even trying to be mean but that was the worst, most unflattering foundation I have ever worn. The primer, blush, and lip souffle are great though.

anna7

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,257 3,551 483
Alleybux
I had to return the foundation. I'm not even trying to be mean but that was the worst, most unflattering foundation I have ever worn. The primer, blush, and lip souffle are great though.

Yeah I don’t have texture issues but it looks like I do with this foundation, like I’ve aged years. I only bought it because I read it was good for dry skin smh. Is the blush dewy?

scorpiomoon6

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,237 333 98
Alleybux
Yeah I don’t have texture issues but it looks like I do with this foundation, like I’ve aged years. I only bought it because I read it was good for dry skin smh. Is the blush dewy?
The blush has a matte and dewy formula! Obvs I went for the dewy :love:

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,319 4,977 407
Alleybux
The Rare Beauty blusher was much more pigmented than i expected.

Sailor Pluto

in the Kuiper Belt
Reaction score
Reactions
218,859 7,720 1,269
Alleybux
The blush is really nice! I got Grateful...very pigmented (fenty 450 btw), i was amazed lol. I want to try more products from this line