First Year Blues

URObsessed

"Boy bye."
Reaction score
Reactions
10,885 265 9
Alleybux
Well!
I'm back with another post. After three weeks of misery (my days are getting better though), I took off last Monday to see a therapist. I was diagnosed with major depression, anxiety and panic attack disorder. After losing so many hours of sleep, I had to seek help because I felt like I was going "insane".

My colleagues and administrators are always complimenting me but I am stressed out. They're so helpful, but I want to put in my two weeks notice every day. I love children but I don't know if the classroom setting is for ya girl. I know the first year is hard and I'm starting to love my kids, but I don't think I'm mentally capable of giving my all in the classroom right now. I'm strongly considering anti-depressants but my next therapy appointment is not until October 11th. The psychiatrist gave me a referral, but I want to talk deeply about my issues before I start medication.

Now, I went from being extremely stressed out to not giving a single f***. The lady said that my body would go back and forth between the two. I feel trapped and I want to crawl under my sheets and cry all day. I've been open about my diagnoses (personally, I don't care about people's opinion, life is life.) so my principal and AP knows that I'm mentally struggling. Idk, I just need advice or an uplifting message. Something chile Lol
(Also, should I quit or hold on??)

SeminoleSista87

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,002 27 1
Alleybux
The first year is the hardest. I cried everyday my first year, both before and after school. I caught my stride in year 3. I’m in year 11 now and I’m coasting. I spend less time grading and lesson planning and instead focus my attention on more engaging activities. I think teaching has a lot to do with understanding that you can’t reach everyone and to not feel bad about it.
I’ve never been clinically diagnosed with depression but I am a very anxious person. Sometimes I think my job has helped with my anxiety in that it allows me to focus on others and I can get out of my head for a while.

I would try and hold on. Look forward to the weekends and vacations. The time off in our field is a blessing. In my district I only work 196 days of the year.

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
581,035 19,675 2,219
Alleybux
So sorry to hear this OP......

Children these days are super difficult to deal with, it's like there are a million and one reasons for their behavior but no solutions....I feel for this generation

What type of community do you teach in?