Not open for further replies.

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
I wonder, most people responded that they are apart of a religious organization but are you flexible as well? That there is a possibility that you're belief system may be wrong or have flaws and if there is evidence presented discrediting your religion would you even consider it or no?

Shuga Slim

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
877 1
Alleybux
I have to say I am very flexible... I cannot reconcile that someone else is wrong for their religious beliefs or going to hell because they do not believe what I believe.

mollflanders

defamationismygame
OLDHEAD
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
256,853 3,330 1,461
Alleybux
I'm flexible, yes. I recognize that there are a gang of different religions on earth, many which have existed longer than mine and have more followers than mine, and as such, the possibility exists that mine might not be the "chosen one". I already have heard of theories, etc directed toward discrediting my religion, but to answer the second question, I'm not a close-minded person, so yes I would listen, but that's about it. The foundation of my belief is not so much that I believe every single word in the Bible (I'm Catholic). That would be foolish, since various parts are contradictory, but rather, my foundation is faith. It's what sustains me. Not all people with religious convictions are religious because they stumble through religious services and lessons mindless and hearing only what they want to hear. Some of us maintain our convictions even while recognizing that some things do not quite add up. I have questions, logically, I even have some firm ideas that contradict what I read and hear, but at the end of the day, my faith is rock solid. Some people will disagree and say that the questions and faith cannot co-exist, but I could care less, because I know otherwise.

Curvy Jones

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
12,842 5 5
Alleybux
NO, I am right and you will go to hell for not believing the same as me.

I'm kidding. I have friends of all different religion, some no religion at all.

theunseen

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
the trick is...

religion is doctrine and tradition, dicated by men.

spirituality is you PERSONAL path to GOD.

PRAISE GOD in you OWN way.... nothing is wrong or right when praising the Lord.

My religion (i am not a christian) dictates certain things, but realizes the need to praise GOD in your own way. So i blend Christianity and my religion, and I am happy. I don't discredit anything, since we all as men have many flaws.

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
Thank you everyone who responded, this is the first thread I made up, so I appreciate it

PopLocLou

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,469 9 3
Alleybux
There is no room for flexibility in faith. The 2 concepts cancel each other out.

Religion is not a buffet. It about doctrine and traditions. Each time the word gets reinterpreted, the darkness gains strength.

SamariLane

Rookie
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I think you have to be flexible. As you gain more information and study more into whatever religious beilefs you hold, you may begin to disagree with some of them.

PopLocLou

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,469 9 3
Alleybux
2000 years ago there was maybe 5 religions/denominations. Now there are thousands.

Flexibility leads to loss of impact and faith.

Lack of flexibility leads to wars.

Tough call.

vanillaski29

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
There is a lot at stake if you choose not to study and seek the right path to God. I wouldn't make that decision carelessly. Ms. Ego, I would suggest that you put a lot of effort into finding out how God wants you to worship Him.Think about it, if you had a child, you fed him/her, loved raised and sacrificed for them, paid for college...would you want them just calling and treating anybody esle as if they were their mother? I know as a parent I wouldn't want my child to do that. I believe God is the same way. All paths don't lead to Him and He deserves for us to put in time and effort to worship Him the way He sees fit. Not the way that we see fit. Just something for you to ponder.

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
vanillaski29 said:
There is a lot at stake if you choose not to study and seek the right path to God. I wouldn't make that decision carelessly. Ms. Ego, I would suggest that you put a lot of effort into finding out how God wants you to worship Him.Think about it, if you had a child, you fed him/her, loved raised and sacrificed for them, paid for college...would you want them just calling and treating anybody esle as if they were their mother? I know as a parent I wouldn't want my child to do that. I believe God is the same way. All paths don't lead to Him and He deserves for us to put in time and effort to worship Him the way He sees fit. Not the way that we see fit. Just something for you to ponder.

Thank you and i do have a lot to ponder about but I have no problem with God (my God is simply the Creator of everything) of course my religious routines/acts need to be stronger it is the concept of Jesus that I am having a hard time grasping

vanillaski29

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Oh, that is the most important part! Maybe I can be of assistance. What are you having a hard time with?

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
Well, there's more I didn't tell you but I dont really go for the "heaven and hell" concept either and even if there is, it's like Jesus is an (just giving an example) intermediary where he is the only way to being or connecting with your higher being

Angel123450

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I'm definately flexible. I respect all peoples religions. I just don't appreciate people telling me that my religion is wrong.

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
Angel519 said:
I'm definately flexible. I respect all peoples religions. I just don't appreciate people telling me that my religion is wrong.

Yes, that is not good of them, its quite immature actually

vanillaski29

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Let me ask you this. Where do you stand on the Bible? This will help me with answering your question.

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
Oh boy, there are parts that are true and others that are not so true. And if i dont respond to your next post its because I'm not on the computer ( got two other people that want the computer but I will respond the next time I'm on so please continue to reply

vanillaski29

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Okay, now we are getting somewhere and since you probably won't be back on the computer for a while, I can make my response a little lengthy. :) First let me start by saying that I have heard some people say that they believe some parts of the Bible, but not others. I can assure you that either you believe in it wholly or not at all. God says that ALL of His word is trustworthy and true. If you believe that you have found conflicts, I am sure it is because it has not been taught to you correctly......next topic...Jesus. First let me say that the your initial description of Jesus is correct. He is the ONLY way. God had a plan for us even before He made Adam and Eve. This purpose was to unite us with Him in an everlasting fellowship. Before man is made, God first threw Satan out of heaven and down to earth as a holding place in response to his rebellion. When Satan rose up against God (Isaiah 14:12-15), God threw him out and to demonstrate His power over all He has created, he made man. He will ultimately defeat Satan through us...man. Our sole purpose is to give God glory as the creator of all things, to live in everlasting fellowhip with Him here on earth Revelation 21:1-4. Not as robots, commanded to love Him. But He gave us a choice. Showing Satan that God will defeat him with man who was created lower than him (as man was created lower than angels...but Revelations shows us that we will be exalted over angels) Getting to Jesus. Adam is made perfect in the image of God. He and his wife Eve. Satan tempts them...they fall for it and ultimately sin. Watch this carefully now...go to Genesis 3:15. This references Jesus. Jesus ultimately crushes Satan's head. I will explain in a moment. I reference this to show that His plan (God's that is) started long before the cross. As with any plan, there are stages that God puts into motion in order to accomplish it. If you reference John 1:1-5. Remeber in Genesis, God spoke the world into existence. "Let there be light"...and it was good. John 1 shows us that in the beginning the Word was with God, the Word was God and the Word became flesh. He is referring to Christ. When Adam and Eve sinned, they separated themselves from God. (As God and sin can not co-exist). They had to atone for their sins by making sacrifices...read about Cain and Able and all throughout the OT regarding sacrifices and atonement. Well...When Jesus came, He gave Himself as a perfect (as He never sinned) last and final sacrifice. The animal sacrifices you see in the old testament were a pre-cursor to the blood Jesus would expel for us. It was not sufficient, but a demonstration of God's ultimate plan. Paying for our sins with His blood forever, Jesus reconciled us back with God. We can never be perfect again (as Adam and Eve were prior to the fall) until we are reunited with God after our physical death. ****As long as we recognize Christ as our Lord and SAVIOR****That is the deciding factor. He paid the price for our sins (past, present and future)...so that we can be reconciled to God once again eternally. That is why He wants us to acknowledge Him as the only way.

vanillaski29

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
This also shows how Christ "crushes Satan's head". He defeated Satan on the cross. Referring back to Genesis 3:15, God said that Satan will bruise His heel and He will crush your head. How many people do you know die from a bruised heel? This refers to Jesus being tortured and ultimately hung on the cross. It was like a bruise because He rose again to ultimately reign forever. Now...how many people do know who survived once their head has been crushed? Jesus defeats Satan at the cross.

Ruby_Woo

Lyrical Miss
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,124 3 15
Alleybux
SamariLane said:
I think you have to be flexible. As you gain more information and study more into whatever religious beilefs you hold, you may begin to disagree with some of them.

c/s

and then

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,806 134 77
Alleybux
vanillaski29 said:
Okay, now we are getting somewhere and since you probably won't be back on the computer for a while, I can make my response a little lengthy. :) First let me start by saying that I have heard some people say that they believe some parts of the Bible, but not others. I can assure you that either you believe in it wholly or not at all. God says that ALL of His word is trustworthy and true. If you believe that you have found conflicts, I am sure it is because it has not been taught to you correctly......next topic...Jesus. First let me say that the your initial description of Jesus is correct. He is the ONLY way. God had a plan for us even before He made Adam and Eve. This purpose was to unite us with Him in an everlasting fellowship. Before man is made, God first threw Satan out of heaven and down to earth as a holding place in response to his rebellion. When Satan rose up against God (Isaiah 14:12-15), God threw him out and to demonstrate His power over all He has created, he made man. He will ultimately defeat Satan through us...man. Our sole purpose is to give God glory as the creator of all things, to live in everlasting fellowhip with Him here on earth Revelation 21:1-4. Not as robots, commanded to love Him. But He gave us a choice. Showing Satan that God will defeat him with man who was created lower than him (as man was created lower than angels...but Revelations shows us that we will be exalted over angels) Getting to Jesus. Adam is made perfect in the image of God. He and his wife Eve. Satan tempts them...they fall for it and ultimately sin. Watch this carefully now...go to Genesis 3:15. This references Jesus. Jesus ultimately crushes Satan's head. I will explain in a moment. I reference this to show that His plan (God's that is) started long before the cross. As with any plan, there are stages that God puts into motion in order to accomplish it. If you reference John 1:1-5. Remeber in Genesis, God spoke the world into existence. "Let there be light"...and it was good. John 1 shows us that in the beginning the Word was with God, the Word was God and the Word became flesh. He is referring to Christ. When Adam and Eve sinned, they separated themselves from God. (As God and sin can not co-exist). They had to atone for their sins by making sacrifices...read about Cain and Able and all throughout the OT regarding sacrifices and atonement. Well...When Jesus came, He gave Himself as a perfect (as He never sinned) last and final sacrifice. The animal sacrifices you see in the old testament were a pre-cursor to the blood Jesus would expel for us. It was not sufficient, but a demonstration of God's ultimate plan. Paying for our sins with His blood forever, Jesus reconciled us back with God. We can never be perfect again (as Adam and Eve were prior to the fall) until we are reunited with God after our physical death. ****As long as we recognize Christ as our Lord and SAVIOR****That is the deciding factor. He paid the price for our sins (past, present and future)...so that we can be reconciled to God once again eternally. That is why He wants us to acknowledge Him as the only way.

Me taking some parts seriously and others not is my own doing, for example there is evidence that there was a super flood but i think there is more symbolism and "hidden messages" of the truth, and of course there is the idea that the Bible was created to control the masses but I completely respect your beliefs

NaturaleBella

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
vanillaski29 said:

I really like the way you worded this post and I agree.

SWEETnSOUR

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
26,749 520 810
Alleybux
Are we talking about flexibility, openess within yourself, or tolerance, acceptance of others? I see answers to both questions here.

I consider myself very flexible in my religion. I am open to learning new things and considering those things. I must admit there are very few things that I have been exposed to that make me "question" my beliefs. While, I am very strong in my beliefs, I am extremely tolerant of other religions as long as respect is given.

NaturaleBella

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I am open to learning about other people's religions. That is not to say that I will ever change my beliefs. My beliefs don't have a whole lot to do with religion because I use the Bible as my guide. Recently, have had Bible studies at my home with some women who travel from door to door. I began studying with them because I wanted to learn their beliefs on my own. I needed to do that because I will never take anyone's word for anything.

Anyway, as we were studying, I learned that whatever book they were using (because it wasn't the Bible) was different from my Bible. I would also use their hand book that they gave me as a study aid and found many biblical inaccuracies. I asked them how they felt about Revelation 22:18-19. They had nothing to say. It's always good to explore. I love to learn but I use the Bible as my guide. I have noticed that these same people will try to force their religion on you and would care to hear nothing of your religious beliefs.

From my understanding, people that are more seasoned in their beliefs will not waiver.

Treasure Chest

Just open me up....
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
CurvyGurlATL said:
NO, I am right and you will go to hell for not believing the same as me.

I'm kidding. I have friends of all different religion, some no religion at all.

You're going to hell in a wicker basket for even typing this demonic post. How can you be friends with non-believers!!! I'm calling the cult leader right now!!!!

For real though, I don't look at it as flexibility, but more of a respect factor. I don't take the bible as the "end all, be all" because I know that it was written by man. As long as I have a relationship with _______ then I'm okay.

CaramelCutie757

Non Conformist
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,877 1,224 1,730
Alleybux
I think you should have your own personal relationship with God, I respect everybody religions they have their opinion about things it's ok to disagree. At the end of the day i'm gonna still believe what i believe, and they will too. I'm not a holier than thou person, but i'm very spiritual I like to learn different things about God, i'm flexible to a certain extent I won't do things to compromise my faith. If i'm not sure about something that i'm learning about spirtually, then I pray about it and ask God to reveal it's truth or false perception. I take the bible as truth because i see things about it that makes me believe it is true, True the bible is written by men. And human beings make mistakes. But overall, the bible is a book about human history and a book of instruction, a book about life written by men but God as the narrator. Even though it was written by men, those men had visions and dreams. And from my knowledge, those biblical visions and dreams were the only way that God got his messages across to people. So therefore spiritually wise, it wasn't men who came up with the idea of the bible God gave men the knowledge to write the words of the bible. I believe in visions and dreams. But then again you gotta be careful about where you get info from because men are not perfect that's why it pays to read the bible yourself instead of letting some man tell you this is this and that and do some biblical research and ask the Lord to guide your path. Because I feel there are things we still don't know about God some things, we won't know until the end when God reveal everything about the world. And i think there are things we as christians believe, those things might not be true who know. Only God knows for sure.

PECANCUTE

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Ms-Ego said:
Well, there's more I didn't tell you but I dont really go for the "heaven and hell" concept either and even if there is, it's like Jesus is an (just giving an example) intermediary where he is the only way to being or connecting with your higher being

God has revealed Himself in the written Word, the living Word (Jesus) and in Nature (Romans 1) and those who respond to the working of the Spirit and follow the truth that has been revealed to them through nature are still brought to the Father through Christ -why? Because everything was made by Christ and without Christ nothing was made that has been made, so when someone comes to know God through nature it is because of and through the work of Christ.

bigbuttjudi

Cali Girl in a DC World
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
103,699 2,515 879
Alleybux
Shuga Slim said:
I have to say I am very flexible... I cannot reconcile that someone else is wrong for their religious beliefs or going to hell because they do not believe what I believe.

yeah, i agree. i hate to say it and i know my pastor would chastise me for this...but i have a hard time wagging my finger at someone and telling them they are going to hell for not believing what i believe to be true. i mean, i definitely have my beliefs...and i often look at the judaism and i think it's very flawed in so many ways....however, there is so much about religion/christianity that is so hard to grasp and explain. i usually just chalk it all up as being another "wonder of the world" that i'll just never have a full explaination/understanding for and to just leave it alone and know that it's all in God's hands and maybe it's not meant for me to fully understand.

bigbuttjudi

Cali Girl in a DC World
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
103,699 2,515 879
Alleybux
bonitaapplebum said:
I'm flexible, yes. I recognize that there are a gang of different religions on earth, many which have existed longer than mine and have more followers than mine, and as such, the possibility exists that mine might not be the "chosen one". I already have heard of theories, etc directed toward discrediting my religion, but to answer the second question, I'm not a close-minded person, so yes I would listen, but that's about it. The foundation of my belief is not so much that I believe every single word in the Bible (I'm Catholic). That would be foolish, since various parts are contradictory, but rather, my foundation is faith. It's what sustains me. Not all people with religious convictions are religious because they stumble through religious services and lessons mindless and hearing only what they want to hear. Some of us maintain our convictions even while recognizing that some things do not quite add up. I have questions, logically, I even have some firm ideas that contradict what I read and hear, but at the end of the day, my faith is rock solid. Some people will disagree and say that the questions and faith cannot co-exist, but I could care less, because I know otherwise.

i hear what you're saying on the contradictory parts of the Bible. i hear this all the time and i KNOW what people mean. however, people have to sometimes understand that a lot of those contradictory items they are referring to are from the old testament vs. the new testament. and i always think that if God said "an eye for an eye" (for example) in the old testament and then Jesus said, "turn the other cheek" in the new testament (and people often use this as an example of the contradictions in the Bible) you must understand that things were different in this world BEFORE Jesus came. 'an eye for an eye' worked for the jews in the old testament, but when Jesus came, none of that vengeful retaliation was necessary or WANTED by God. so things were different. so as opposed to it being contradictory, it's just a reflection of life on earth BEFORE Jesus and life AFTER Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.