Quantcast

Fonts who have studied abroad/lived in another country get in here

BobbeeJonsun

I'm always confused
Reaction score
Reactions
23,212 1,760 1,530
Alleybux
This is so true! In the area I was in there were a lot of older people. I had people saying hi to me in Japanese and when I responded back in Japanese they were surprised and smile. I was on the subway with my Japanese workbook and this old lady actually thanked me for learning the language. A lot of people will travel to another country and not even try to learn the basics.
That's similar to what I experienced in China. The elderly were so friendly. I just love older folks in general.

leeka22

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
712 12 6
Alleybux
I studied abroad in Spain for a semester in college. It was an immersive program so I stayed with a host family and studied at the university’s international studies college. Spain was beautiful! I felt safe, the people were nice, my professors were great, I met people from all over the world and I picked up the language fairly well. I really liked how laid back they were there. I’d highly recommend. If anyone is interested I’d be happy to elaborate.

Jojoloves

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
365 38 8
Alleybux
Can we discuss our dating experiences while living/studying abroad. I’m an African studying in London, and no one prepared me for the colorism I was going to witness. The white people don’t make their racism obvious, but black guys make their colorism obvious. Not to mention the tension between Caribbeans and Africans. Don’t know who else experienced this

Reaction score
Reactions
3,137 218 78
Alleybux
I did it my undergrad year back in 2019. Studied media production at Dongguk university in Seoul. I was there for like a month and I miss it so much, especially now with covid. I waited until after my classes ended to “party.” Me and my friends rented a Airbnb in Hongdae and went clubbing back to back lol.

sonoko

One Truth Prevails
Reaction score
Reactions
113,108 2,983 750
Alleybux
I did it my undergrad year back in 2019. Studied media production at Dongguk university in Seoul. I was there for like a month and I miss it so much, especially now with covid. I waited until after my classes ended to “party.” Me and my friends rented a Airbnb in Hongdae and went clubbing back to back lol.
Thank you for commenting your experience:) I forgot I made this thread!

I studied so hard during the weekday. I took Japanese and Japanese history and studied on the train as well. When Friday hit and I was done with my last class I had one friend there who was always ready to party. The other people in our study abroad group didn't even come with us. We just went hard on our own and walked around at night/early morning when we got tired of clubbing. I miss it but also don't know how I did it. I don't have the energy for that now lol

Reaction score
Reactions
3,137 218 78
Alleybux
Thank you for commenting your experience:) I forgot I made this thread!

I studied so hard during the weekday. I took Japanese and Japanese history and studied on the train as well. When Friday hit and I was done with my last class I had one friend there who was always ready to party. The other people in our study abroad group didn't even come with us. We just went hard on our own and walked around at night/early morning when we got tired of clubbing. I miss it but also don't know how I did it. I don't have the energy for that now lol
Yeah like it’s weird. I had so much energy in korea, yet now I feel tired all the time now lol. Maybe it’s the rush of being in a new environment?

TheLionQueen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,856 686 192
Alleybux
I studied abroad in Italy during my undergraduate degree program. The food was DELICIOUS, the architecture was amazing and the people were so nice! It’s also very cheap to travel around Europe.

Edit: the men were FINE, hunny! omfg
what cities did you see these men? and what did you eat?

I studied abroad in Greece for a month. It was the best experience! Athens was my least favorite. I liked the smaller towns a lot better.
what towns would you recommend?

I visited Scotland. In Edinburgh. I loved it so much. I swear, I could live there.
did you meet any Black Scottish ppl? what are they like compared to Black Brits or other Black ethnicities? did you go anywhere other than Edinburgh? Aberdeen is on my list of places to visit

Scotland is rugged beauty at its finest. I have visited Glasgow, Edinburgh and Lewis and Harris Island. I try and spend half my time in Edinburgh. Love it! Peaceful, a nice mix of city and nature. People are nicer than London. I am very comfortable there, there is a big young student population and they dress so cool and laid back. If you like nice outdoorsy walks and nature, you will like Edinburgh, plus the architecture is beautiful!
what did you like about this place?

My fave country was Costa Rica and Colombia. But I enjoyed basically every place I visited. Peru and Bolivia for culture and history. Argentina for nature, bbq and wine, big city life. Brazil for beautiful beaches, street parties, fun vibes etc.

I knew beforehand where I wanted to go and see and made a geographical logic travel plan. Started from Buenos Aires to the Andes and straight to Chile. From there we took the bus north to Peru and then headed south to Bolivia and then back to Argentina. Took buses around each country.

I flew in to Rio. I also took the flight to Colombia. From Colombia I took a catamaran and sailed for 5 days to Panama and then took the bus to Costa Rica.

I stayed at hostels and I do not speak spanish :)
what cities in each country did you visit? did you have a translator since you don't speak Spanish?

Bella8933

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,070 5,828 6,841
Alleybux
I am not a student :) but I went to The Netherlands and Luxemburg for work years ago and before that backpacked around Europe for a couple of months .... all of which I loved and really opened my eyes to how people live outside of America.

I encourage all young people to go to school abroad for at least a couple of semesters.

Years ago a Dutch company hired me and relocated me to The Netherlands which is where I have lived these last 21 years with no plans to ever return to America.

Best thing I ever did!

Ladybug 13

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
694 54 6
Alleybux
Ok ready?

France is a beautiful country, every region is different yet stunning. I loved the food, the healthcare is A1. The men are the best I seen in western Europe and well from what they say about French lovers, TRUE AF.

Buuut, overall French people are a pain in the ass. Learning the language was a struggle. French culture is not accepting of any other culture but theirs. They go on and on about people integrating but even when they do, it is not good enough for them. They are tone deaf AF about racism. My experience living there was not the best. I tried so hard to fit in and all ny efforts were deemed not good enough.

These people complain allll the time, I find their work ethic mediocre compared to Americans. There seems to be very little initiative for upward mobility and innovation due to the generous state benefits.

Customer service is the worst ever! Customer is not always right, the priority is the employee, so most shops or businesses, people are rude AF.

Yes they are rude in Paris but outside they are slightly nicer. They hate Muslims/Arabs, it is interchangable for them and they treat black people slightly better because they seem them as more docile and less threatening (my experience outside of Paris). Men don't hit on you like the states unless they are better acquainted with you or they are Magrebians ahahhaha.

The country is turning into a right wing hell hole and I am glad I left. I was disgusted at how Arabs are treated, I don't know much about how black people are overall treated because I was not in Paris or other cities with big black population and I am mixed race. The police are corrupt, violent, racist aholes and if they had guns, the news would be similar to the U.S.

To summerize, love the country but not the general population. Though French man can fµck. (y)
Finally someone had seen what i had to go through in France ... I could kiss you right now !! Omg Soo true everything you've said.
The health care is sh!t is as well. And if you're black they pretend not to be racist and push the narrative to the world that their not but the most hurtful racist things i have experienced in my life were in France . They look down on black people and are closet racists or try to say humiliating things through Jokes. Some can be friends but when you date them the family treats you like sh!t

J'en avais tellement marre de France, MERDE !! LOL

Last edited:

orita

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,419 328 145
Alleybux
I can speak on Qatar, and the UAE if anyone has any questions

orita

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,419 328 145
Alleybux
What's it like there as a woman? And were you banned from dating?
Qatar: Generally good experiences. There are VERY strict laws about the treatment of women so men are quite polite in public-- no catcalling or such and preferential treatment in government offices/skipping queues (although as a black woman men of a certain class will stare a LOT and "local" men will hit on you in some places). Separate seating lifts and offices in a lot of places which is nice when it's crowded and/or in places like the traffic department.

Been followed, called beautiful, sang to out of a moving car, etc. One guy put his number in a rolled up sock and threw it through my window at a red light. Wild lol. But they can get in trouble for this if you report them (and cameras are EVERYWHERE), so if you're not keen they keep it moving.

In mosques and government offices it's expected that legs, shoulders and arms are covered and you may be turned away if dressed inappropriately (ex: once I was wearing a knee length dress and not allowed in a police station). No need for local or Islamic dress or to cover your head. Most people do dress a little more modestly to respect local culture but shorts, t shirts, sleeveless dresses are fine. It's seen as tacky to dress really provocatively outside of clubs or beaches. If for example your ass is hanging out of your shorts or your'e wearing something that someone deems offensive security might come to you and ask you to cover up or leave, especially if someone complains.

I didn't date while I was there bc I went there whilst already in a relationship and then got married there, so I'll defer to others who may have had more experience. Premarital xes is against the law and if you get pregnant outside of a wedded relationship you may be arrested while in the hospital to give birth so a lot of women who these happens to hop on a flight, get an abortion (or have the baby) and come back. HOWEVER there is a dating and hookup culture, just be discreet and careful of married men. There's a small nightlife scene- lots of yacht parties, clubs, boozy brunches.

Living with a boyfriend is illegal. Again many do it and get away with it just fine but if you are reported it could mean arrest, a hefty fine and deportation.

PDA is discouraged strongly outside of holding hands.

Safety wise it's one of the safest countries in the world. Left doors unlocked, wallets and computers on tables, etc. etc. What I miss the most about the place when I come stateside is being able to walk/run outside at night without being scared of being murdered.

The UAE:

Similar to Qatar but a bit less conservative. Some emirates are more conservative than others (example, I've lived in Dubai and it's literally like living in Miami, T&A hanging out everywhere and huge party culture, while Sharjah and Abu Dhabi are more like Qatar, very quiet family scene.)

Premarital xes has recently been decriminalized and unmarried couples can now live together as well although most landlords choose to rent officially only to married couples. Pregnancy outside of marriage is still a no, you need to present a marriage certificate to deliver in a hospital (they will still give you medical care, first, obviously, but you may incur a fine and lose your visa.)

You will find a lot of guys to date but it's not where I'd go if you're looking to settle and get married.

No dress code, I've seen everything in the UAE (just watch Dubai bling LOL) although again it depends by emirate and in government offices folks tend to skew more conservative. People use VPN to use dating apps but from what I've heard it's very casual.

Safety is on par with Qatar. Feel safer here as a woman than anywhere else I have lived in the world. The only caveat is don't follow strange men home from clubs, bad things have happened to girls that way.

Sorry for the epic poem!

Last edited:

orita

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,419 328 145
Alleybux
was this for a college in virginia? i know a school that has a campus in qatar
Yeah, Georgetown, VCU, Carnegie Mellon, Weil Cornell, Uni of Calgary, and Northwestern all have campuses there. I worked there and did a grad degree at one of them. It's nice. You get an official degrees from the US Uni. Couple European schools there also