Quantcast

Food-addicted woman too fat to fit in a plane seat sheds 182 lbs during lockdown

Mr. Biggs

引きこもり
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
90,906 51,314 712
Alleybux
0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (1).jpg
0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS.jpg

A super slimmer has shed a whopping 13 stone after living in fear of being too fat to fit in seats in restaurants or on planes.

Carla FitzGerald has dropped from 23st to slim 10st in the past 14 months after her weight left her constantly being terrified she would be left red-faced about not being able to fit into seats in public.

The 34-year-old started her weight loss journey in January last year and successfully shed 13st during lockdown after struggling with her weight for her whole life.

Since losing over half her body weight, Carla no longer has to worry about whether or not she will be able to fit in the seats when going out for meals, or whether she will be too big for the seats on aeroplanes.

The transformation has allowed her to ditch her daily uniform of black leggings and black baggy jumpers and enjoy dressing up for the first time in her life.

Carla, from Dublin, said: "I decided I was ready to start my weight loss journey in January last year after going through some therapy to help me.

"I have struggled with my weight and disordered eating for as long as I can remember.

"I tried every diet under the sun but nothing would stick.

"Prior to my weight loss I had been diagnosed with food addiction, I was constantly thinking of where my next piece of food was coming from even while I was eating.

"I would go out on my lunch breaks from work and eat thousands of calories.

"Each day I would consume between 3000 and 5000 calories.

"I ate takeaway food every day for lunch while I was at work, and I would have a takeaway at least one evening a week too.

"If I wasn't having a takeaway I would stuff myself with huge portions of pasta, nachos and just really carby and calorific food.

"But after going through my most recent bout of therapy, I realised my body wasn't the enemy and I felt worthy of changing my life for the better.

"So I was ready to lose weight for the final time and began my calorie-controlled diet where I would be in a calorific deficit and walk for one hour each day."

After years of avoiding mirrors, Carla said she doesn't think she wasn't actually aware of how big she was and tried to embrace her size for some time.

Her everyday life remained a real struggle however.

"I parked close to the shops because I couldn't walk far and going upstairs was exhausting to me," she added.

"I worried about being able to walk down the aisle of the bus in case I couldn't fit.

"I was constantly worrying about situations such as going out for meals or lunch for work meetings in case the chairs had arms and I wouldn't be able to fit in them.

"Going on holiday was even a nightmare for me because I'd panic about not fitting in the seat on the plane or finding a way to subtly ask for a seat belt extension.

"It was torture. But I don't even have to think about things like that now. I feel so free."

1_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS.jpg
0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (3).jpg
0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (2).jpg

Carla, a social enterprise manager, made the best out of a bad situation when lockdown came into force and managed to lose a huge amount of weight.

Carla said: "I had lots of victories along the way with my weight loss. I remember the first time I was able to cross my legs, and the first time I could put my socks on while standing up.

"My skin started to glow, my eyes brightened and my hair was glossier.

"Reaching my goal weight just happened so fast it had been hard to get used to the way I am now. It's still a shock when I see my reflection.

"I finally feel like the woman I have always wanted to be.

"I've put a lot of work into myself and it's like I have unzipped myself and I am finally free.

"I am a different person now. I am full of pride, joy and hope. I've never felt like this before."

To see more of Carla's weight loss journey, search halfofcarla on Instagram and Youtube.

Carla's food diary
Before diet

Breakfast: Croissants, packet of raspberries and a larger coffee

Lunch: Large tray of takeaway sushi and a portion of Five Guys fries

Dinner: Chinese takeaway box: Salt and chilli chips and tofu, fried rice, curry sauce, spring rolls, soup and prawn crackers

Snacks; Tortilla crisps, cereal bars, pop corn, chocolate, bread with butter and cheese

After diet

Breakfast: Coffee

Lunch: Salad packed with vegetables

Dinner: Vegan sausages, with roasted tomatoes, spinach and cauliflower

Snacks: Apple with peanut butter, fruit, vegan ham and lower calorie crisps.

she used bodyslims

0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (5).jpg
0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (4).jpg

Attachments

• 0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (5).jpg
    0_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS (5).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 1_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS.jpg
    1_PAY-13-STONE-WEIGHT-LOSS-TOO-SCARED-TO-SIT-IN-CHAIRS.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 102

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,517 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
She looks great. I actually thought the first pic was the before and the second was the after.

I didn't realize a size 10 was so small. Media would have you believing a 10 is plus sized.

Ethereal Spirit

Black girls do it better
Reaction score
Reactions
192,841 6,681 8,083
Alleybux
I've always said the early days of the pandemic was a good time to focus on health and fitness since there wasn't much we could do at that time anyway. The weight loss looks good on her.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,497 831 193
Alleybux
wow congratulations to her. That is alot of weight loss for a fairly short amount of time

Mr. Biggs

引きこもり
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
90,906 51,314 712
Alleybux

MajesticLife

Beautiful Everything
Reaction score
Reactions
50,834 1,817 334
Alleybux
She must be tall because she looks like she lost about 75 pounds from the before pictures. She carried an extra 182 pounds as good as you can possibly do it and not have a naturally thicker build.

ETA:
This is the before picture she should have used. The before pics in the OP do not look like someone who weighed over 300 pounds. This pic is a better representation of where she came from (another poster even said they thought it was an after pic). She did well.

Last edited:

Sweetiepiie

I'm walking on sunshine
Reaction score
Reactions
155,925 4,475 2,414
Alleybux
Why is it that when people loose a lot of weight, they tend to look much older and a little gaunt?

She looks great, but also looks like she's aged 10 years at the same time.

Edit: Not sure about the skeptical
Yes, its great she's healthier and lost weight but she looks gaunt and old. Almost looks like she's lost the life in her.

Last edited:

LuvMissDee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,956 5,061 2,012
Alleybux
Yes. Also, the US now has been vanity sizing for at least 3 decades. A US size 10 today would have likely been a a US size 14 in 1970.
We need to tea on this I’m about to look up what sizes today would have been back in the 50s-70s I’m sick of being lied to.

Found a chart atleast
imrs.php

UtuNoranti

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,538 749 46
Alleybux
An inspiration! I also have the worry about fitting in the plane seats. Some planes I fit fine, others I don’t. My issue is that a lot of foods give me issue, so sometimes the bad foods is what I can eat. If I had a better job I wouldn’t mind experimenting more.

LaLa Aicha

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,521 332 110
Alleybux
Why is it that when people loose a lot of weight, they tend to look much older and a little gaunt?

Loss of fat in the face. A rounder, fatter, more cherub face looks younger.

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,391 2,302 906
Alleybux

Because they are losing fat in their face too. It's more noticeable when you lose a large amount of weight like 100+ lbs.

But it's a trade off especially when your older and your skin's snap back game isn't as strong.

Imo, she still looks pretty good despite that. She can also get a minor facelift to remove the loose skin.

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,734 10,709 6,562
Alleybux
She must be tall because she looks like she lost about 75 pounds from the before pictures. She carried an extra 182 pounds as good as you can possibly do it and not have a naturally thicker build.

ETA:
This is the before picture she should have used. The before pics in the OP do not look like someone who weighed over 300 pounds. This pic is a better representation of where she came from (another poster even said they thought it was an after pic). She did well.

Since when is 180 lbs a size 6? It’s 50 pounds heavier than I am and I’m a 4-6. I’m a bit stunned here.

She looks amazing though. Such amazing work! She looks like she weighs less than 180 but maybe it’s muscle.

highgemini

in a chronic existential crisis
Reaction score
Reactions
1,517 86 100
Alleybux
Loss of fat in the face. A rounder, fatter, more cherub face looks younger.
I thank gawd for my selena gomez cheeks. I'm closer to 30 than 18 and people still think I'm 16-17. I used to hate it but now I hope it lasts forever lol, especially because I do not feel like an adequate adult and I'm not ready for my 30s :(

highgemini

in a chronic existential crisis
Reaction score
Reactions
1,517 86 100
Alleybux
Since when is 180 lbs a size 6? It’s 50 pounds heavier than I am and I’m a 4-6. I’m a bit stunned here.

She looks amazing though. Such amazing work! She looks like she weighs less than 180 but maybe it’s muscle.
I think she meant she had lost 181lbs (she said -181) from the first picture, so she'd be at around 139 in the after pic.