Quantcast

For The Notary / Signing Agent Side Hustlers

ClassySexyFirst

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,347 2,143 2,431
Alleybux
So from what I've gathered so far about this is there are two avenues.

There's being a notary and then there's being a loan signing agent.

I can see how a notary wouldn't be in high demand being that most businesses that require documents to be notarized have someone in-house.

But the loan signing agents are somewhat in demand because people who need loans signed are usually people who work in real estate and don't have easy access to authorized officials to sign loan agreements 24/7.

To become a loan signing agent essentially you have to become a notary which is where the lines cross but the videos of the young women posted in the thread make most of their money as loan signing agents.

good points! signing agents make money i am also looking at remote agents

Reaction score
Reactions
16,435 380 29
Alleybux
Hey everyone,

I still haven't taken my training but I'm starting tomorrow but I had a few questions.

When it comes to loan signing is there a free course or any books that you recommend? And can I group that training with my notary training? The next exam in California is not available until the next 3 weeks for me. I was hoping that I could group that all together.

And if I register to be a LSA do I need a separate exam for that as well?

Thanks!

Shelleee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,413 54 48
Alleybux
I've been following this thread for a while, looked at YouTube videos and joined FB groups. I think I'm ready to jump in.
For the application (Florida) there's a section where you have someone sign unrelated to you that's like a reference. I don't really have anyone here I know like that and that's where I'm stumped. Not even a coworker bc I work remote and everyone is spread out.

Bonnieboop

Daddy, am I your baby?
Reaction score
Reactions
153,970 7,747 38
Alleybux
I've been following this thread for a while, looked at YouTube videos and joined FB groups. I think I'm ready to jump in.
For the application (Florida) there's a section where you have someone sign unrelated to you that's like a reference. I don't really have anyone here I know like that and that's where I'm stumped. Not even a coworker bc I work remote and everyone is spread out.
Do you have a neighborhood app like Nextdoor? A lady posted she needed a notary reference and I needed one too so we met at the gas station and signed for each other, I also had my hair stylist sign for me.

Shelleee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,413 54 48
Alleybux
Do you have a neighborhood app like Nextdoor? A lady posted she needed a notary reference and I needed one too so we met at the gas station and signed for each other, I also had my hair stylist sign for me.
I didn't even think about that, thanks for the suggestions!!

Reaction score
Reactions
16,435 380 29
Alleybux
Update:

I’m in the Bay Area. I went through https://www.notarylearningcenter.com/.

Luckily they had a training yesterday that I was able to get in. I got the $235 package that includes:

6-hour training course
Same day exam ( extra $40)
Loan signing agent course

I also paid for my livescan (+85) and 2x2 passport photo (+15)

so I paid about $375

it was ALLLLLL day (7:30a-8p). I think the training course was great. Very informative. The exam was pretty tricky though. Later in the loan signing class the instructor told us that on some of the questions there is no “right” answer and that they expect you to pick the answer that is “closest” to the actual answer FYI

The loan signing class was filler and I semi felt robbed out of the additional money. She spent the first hour telling random stories and going over supplies..:I got there at 7:30am and was there until 8pm so I was kind of over it. We went through a few documents and that was it. She gave us a binder that we have to read through and THEN we have to take an exam and get a 90% ( this was not mentioned anywhere on the site) but luckily this is an open book test and we have three attempts.

I definitely recommend the notary training course but I would do my LSA elsewhere.

Mavis Gary

Young Adult
Reaction score
Reactions
69,379 1,698 714
Alleybux
1) how wildly diff are the steps to become a basic notary from state to state? I read three pages and no one has mentioned timelines, classes, sunk costs.. hard to get a sense of the initial investment needed both monetary and otherwise

2) so $2-$10 a doc, how exactly do folks rack up money? Do you eventually link up with a small business? or is there really that many leads from the online registries? Seems like a lot of effort per sell for just $2.

Reaction score
Reactions
16,435 380 29
Alleybux
1) how wildly diff are the steps to become a basic notary from state to state? I read three pages and no one has mentioned timelines, classes, sunk costs.. hard to get a sense of the initial investment needed both monetary and otherwise

2) so $2-$10 a doc, how exactly do folks rack up money? Do you eventually link up with a small business? or is there really that many leads from the online registries? Seems like a lot of effort per sell for just $2.
In California you can get started for a relatively low amount.

$25 for a 6hr course is the lowest I’ve seen
$40 to sit for the exam

you get your results in 2-3 weeks. If you pass you can then submit your fingerprints/background

$85-$100

you then need to wait on your commission packet and background results (another few weeks)

once approved you need to order your $15,000 surety bond ($50 ish) and supplies: journal, seal/stamp etc ($80 ish lowest)

then go to your County Clerks office within 30 days of receiving your commission and then you complete your oath with them
And you are ready to go.

total process should be 8 to 12 weeks

in California for notaries the maximum we can charge for signatures is $15. yes that is slow but you also add in your travel fees. That’s where people get money.

BUT after you are an official notary you can now become a loan signing agent making up words to $250 per signing appt. there are different sites that you create a profile and companies will reach out to you. I was suggest finding a course to learn loan signing. ($150 ish) you will also need to get additional insurance to protect yourself (E&O $100,000)

Then of course you may want to get business cards etc and a good laser printer if you will be doing a lot of signing

Shelleee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,413 54 48
Alleybux
I can only speak for Florida, but FL has a free 3hr notary training. I took it a few years ago, but I forgot everything. Just tonight, I ended up paying for the training on NNA as well as the Remote Notary training. Paid $98 for both. NNA also has packages. But look up your state's notary requirements.

Not a notary yet, but from what I've been seeing, people are charging travel fees, after hours fees, fees to come out on a holiday, etc. on top of the general notary fee.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
6,865 236 4
Alleybux
I have clients that reside in the Hamptons during the summer. They've asked me to call a mobile notary out to their property several times this summer. The notary charges $395 for the convenience of an at-home visit. She charges $450 if she is very busy or if it is a last minute appointment. Providing a mobile notary service to the lazy, uber-wealthy and self- important clearly is the way to go.

Princestub

I touched Prince's butt
Reaction score
Reactions
50,712 2,006 1,348
Alleybux
i'm studying for my BA in Real Estate so this might be good for me. My niece's mom just got hers, she's in the Bay Area. I would definitely be concentrating on the Dublin/SanRamon/Pleasanton areas.

I went on the CA sec of state website and found an approved vendor for the study materials. It's a six hour class, you can take it online and the instructor clocks your time. you don't have to do it in one sitting. I paid and printed out the text and study guides.

After I complete the class, I'll submit my application with my completion credentials and $40 to take the exam.

Last edited:

Mavis Gary

Young Adult
Reaction score
Reactions
69,379 1,698 714
Alleybux
In California you can get started for a relatively low amount.

$25 for a 6hr course is the lowest I’ve seen
$40 to sit for the exam

you get your results in 2-3 weeks. If you pass you can then submit your fingerprints/background

$85-$100

you then need to wait on your commission packet and background results (another few weeks)

once approved you need to order your $15,000 surety bond ($50 ish) and supplies: journal, seal/stamp etc ($80 ish lowest)

then go to your County Clerks office within 30 days of receiving your commission and then you complete your oath with them
And you are ready to go.

total process should be 8 to 12 weeks

in California for notaries the maximum we can charge for signatures is $15. yes that is slow but you also add in your travel fees. That’s where people get money.

BUT after you are an official notary you can now become a loan signing agent making up words to $250 per signing appt. there are different sites that you create a profile and companies will reach out to you. I was suggest finding a course to learn loan signing. ($150 ish) you will also need to get additional insurance to protect yourself (E&O $100,000)

Then of course you may want to get business cards etc and a good laser printer if you will be doing a lot of signing

a laser printer, to print the customer’s documents? Lol can I charge for that too lol

Reaction score
Reactions
16,435 380 29
Alleybux
i'm studying for my BA in Real Estate so this might be good for me. My niece's mom just got hers, she's in the Bay Area. I would definitely be concentrating on the Dublin/SanRamon/Pleasanton areas.

I went on the CA sec of state website and found an approved vendor for the study materials. It's a six hour class, you can take it online and the instructor clocks your time. you don't have to do it in one sitting. I paid and printed out the text and study guides.

After I complete the class, I'll submit my application with my completion credentials and $40 to take the exam.
Good luck!!

Individual

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,331 1,268 399
Alleybux
Just a little update:
  • I got commissioned the last week of December.
  • Became NNA and LSS Certified last week
  • Purchased my E&O insurance ($100,000)
  • Set up my LLC/EIN and business account
  • Purchased printer, still need to order my scanner and other supplies
I’ve made a lot of progress over the last month, but I still want to study and prep for a couple more weeks before I create my profiles on the signing services websites. Good luck to everyone!

This bomb as fµck ma! I wish you super blessings as well. I been looking into this for a while to add to another hustle as mines.

Upendo254

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,491 1,518 251
Alleybux
Just a little update:
  • I got commissioned the last week of December.
  • Became NNA and LSS Certified last week
  • Purchased my E&O insurance ($100,000)
  • Set up my LLC/EIN and business account
  • Purchased printer, still need to order my scanner and other supplies
I’ve made a lot of progress over the last month, but I still want to study and prep for a couple more weeks before I create my profiles on the signing services websites. Good luck to everyone!
How’s the journey going?

The Throne

Black.women.are.top.tier
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
314,753 1,985 406
Alleybux
I got NNA certified/background checked last week. The loan signing test was easy got two wrong they didn’t say which 2.

Waiting for my remote notary authorization so I can get my feet wet doing remote notary with notarize. I just have to purchase a digital certificate.

Insurance and bond already taken care of. I will purchase LSA insurance later on. I’m going into this slow because right now I’m not crazy about meeting in person for loan signing. Still studying both notary and loan signing 2 hours a day tho.There’s a ton of content on YouTube and I got study guides from my nna training.

alluregoddess

I wish you… an ounce of luck.
Reaction score
Reactions
292,204 3,426 476
Alleybux
How’s the journey going?
This bomb as fµck ma! I wish you super blessings as well. I been looking into this for a while to add to another hustle as mines.
I decided to pause on this as I’m focusing on transitioning into a new career field. I’ve seen many people doing well with loan signings so I definitely will encourage anyone to go for it if you’re willing to put the work in.

Individual

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,331 1,268 399
Alleybux
I decided to pause on this as I’m focusing on transitioning into a new career field. I’ve seen many people doing well with loan signings so I definitely will encourage anyone to go for it if you’re willing to put the work in.

I respect that, thank you. This thread been up for a while and I was meaning to come through reading throughout it to give me tips as well.

SageDew

Lighten up, it's just LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
9,987 141 23
Alleybux
Just wanted to throw this in here bc some are using Notary and Notary Loan Signing Agent interchangeably, but they are not the same: All Signing Agents are Notaries, but not all Notaries are Signing Agents (this is where the $$$ is). The article and picture below from the National Notary website break it down (Link from NationalNotary.org):

What is the difference between a mobile Notary and a Notary Signing Agent?

The main difference between a mobile Notary and a Notary Signing Agent is the focus of their work. While Notaries encounter a wide variety of documents, Signing Agents specifically handle home loan documents.

Mobile Notaries and Notary Signing Agents are both required to have a traditional Notary commission, but NSAs must also pass a background check and an exam every year. Some states have specific restrictions related to real property documents and may require additional professional licenses.

How do Signing Agents make money?

Notary Signing Agents are independent contractors and decide how much they charge for their signing services. As contractors, Signing Agents typically charge per assignment, ranging from below $100 to a couple of hundred dollars. The amount you make will be based on how many assignments you can complete in a day.

Other factors that affect the cost of an assignment is the contracting company, whether you're working for a lender or an escrow office, and their budget. In addition to the notarization fees set by state law, Signing Agents can also charge for courier services, which includes printing and delivering completed loan packages to the contracting company. All fees should be agreed to before the signing.

Why become a Notary Signing Agent?

Becoming a Notary Signing Agent has a few benefits. The first is the income opportunity. The fee you can charge for handling loan document packages is separate from the fee for regular notarizations, which means you'll earn more per assignment. The second benefit is that you can be your own boss. Since Notary Signing Agents are independent contractors, you'll control your schedule and decide how many notarizations you want to take on for the day.

If you're already commissioned as a traditional Notary Public, you're one step closer to becoming a Notary Signing Agent. If you're not currently a Notary, you'll need to meet the eligibility requirements and follow your state's rules regarding Signing Agents.

1630237485634.png

SageDew

Reaction score
Reactions
9,987 141 23
Alleybux
Does anyone know how I can go about signing up to be a notary agent in NYC and Connecticut ?
I'm in NYS and studying now for my exam. To be a Notary you just have to read through the NYS Notary Law License packet and then take your exam. Unfortunately there is no formal exam prep-training provided to us by our state, but there are notary websites that do have state-by-state trainings (for a fee).

On the NY DOS website it has a pdf link to the law license packet and a schedule of all the testing sites/dates that are available now through October. Here's the link Notary Public

StayinSane

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,499 316 274
Alleybux
For those that are currently loan signing agents about how much money do you make a month after taxes?

nycsladyval

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Alleybux
Hey y'all. Is there anyone here in the DC area who is becoming a notary/signed lease agent? Looking for some guidance as DC's guidelines are somewhat confusing

destormabove

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,783 19 4
Alleybux
I am going to take plunge.

Will keep y’all updated!!

I did not come from a wealthy family but a wealthy family will come from me in Jesus name Amen!!

ETA: I am in MO for reference. I read over the Notary Public Handbook for my state many times over a few days. Looked up YouTube videos, last week. Today, I went to my Secretary of State website and I took the training exam and passed, completed the application online and paid my $25.00 app fee.

I called the Secretary of State office to inquire about mailing in my certificate, and was told that it was not necessary.

The woman I spoke with was kind enough to look up my information. I could hear her making comments to herself while reviewing it and she said yup, I got it and you should be receiving your commission via mail and gave a run down of the next steps I should take. She said I could callback if I had any questions.

Ultimately, I am become a Loan Signing Agent as a side hustle.
How's this been working for you? I'm also in MO and looking to get licensed.

Reaction score
Reactions
16,435 380 29
Alleybux
Update: I passed the notary for California. I thought I failed, scheduled another test and everything lol.

I literally got a 70! Now waiting on my background and commission!

Reaction score
Reactions
4,925 146 31
Alleybux
Heyyyy y'all so I'm in an attorney state so I'm going to start off with general notary work (GNW) and transition in loan signing (LSA). However I'm having a hard advertising my GNW. I currently am signed up for Thumbtack and paid for leads but no leads have come through. I have a Google ads page but if you get your family and friends to leave reviews it will mess you up on the algorithm ( Google doesn't play with fake reviews). I don't have money/budget for business cards to handout. My question is any suggestions on how I can advertise my GNW so I can finally start getting Google reviews lol?

UtuNoranti

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,538 749 46
Alleybux
Heyyyy y'all so I'm in an attorney state so I'm going to start off with general notary work (GNW) and transition in loan signing (LSA). However I'm having a hard advertising my GNW. I currently am signed up for Thumbtack and paid for leads but no leads have come through. I have a Google ads page but if you get your family and friends to leave reviews it will mess you up on the algorithm ( Google doesn't play with fake reviews). I don't have money/budget for business cards to handout. My question is any suggestions on how I can advertise my GNW so I can finally start getting Google reviews lol?
Try posting on Nextdoor and online Notary directories.

TreeHundred

Another Perspective
Reaction score
Reactions
16,358 250 239
Alleybux
I found this book on payhip that gives you the overview of the different business ideas you can do as a notary..............click this link..... The Notary World
I can’t help but to see this as a money grab.

The creator was in such a rush to place the guide on sale that they left the default “about me” section on the bottom of page.

It’s like buying a photo frame at the store and leaving the default picture then placing it on your walls to represent your family. It’s inauthentic.

Not only that, the section still has instructions “ You can describe who you are and what you're all about here” .

There’s no thought or effort for the consumer, just a digital product and price. Even books on major platforms put in the effort when publishing.

I bet the information provided is also as unoriginal and can be found with a little effort.

When someone recommends a product like this, I often think it’s their own. Which isn’t a big deal, but for a price point, you must treat your customers better.

If you’re going to recommend something, either you created or found, please do your due diligence. Everyone trying to make $ but don’t scam ppl.

Also, if you “found” the book, did you read it? Did you find it useful? Is the information worth the cost? Why should the fonts buy it? Because of the title and you said so? Don’t do that.

Last edited:

Kamehameha

Three hole hoe
Reaction score
Reactions
41,252 2,190 1,010
Alleybux
I can’t help but to see this as a money grab.

The creator was in such a rush to place the guide on sale that they left the default “about me” section on the bottom of page.

It’s like buying a photo frame at the store and leaving the default picture then placing it on your walls to represent your family. It’s inauthentic.

Not only that, the section still has instructions “ You can describe who you are and what you're all about here” .

There’s no thought or effort for the consumer, just a digital product and price. Even books on major platforms put in the effort when publishing.

I bet the information provided is also as unoriginal and can be found with a little effort.

When someone recommends a product like this, I often think it’s their own. Which isn’t a big deal, but for a price point, you must treat your customers better.

If you’re going to recommend something, either you created or found, please do your due diligence. Everyone trying to make $ but don’t scam ppl.

Also, if you “found” the book, did you read it? Did you find it useful? Is the information worth the cost? Why should the fonts buy it? Because of the title and you said so? Don’t do that.
Yup it's definitely hers, she promoted it somewhere else right after mentioning that you could make like $15k doing notary work... also who finds a book on payhip?? That's like saying you found a book on PayPal.

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,355 10,641 3,127
Alleybux
So I’m looking into it. I’m in Georgia and my county requires two people who can attest to your good character and it can’t be family members. We are new to this county and I don’t know my neighbors like that lol. I think an old college friend of mine lives in our county and an old coworker too I’m going to do some digging through old contacts ugh.

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,355 10,641 3,127
Alleybux
So I’m looking into it. I’m in Georgia and my county requires two people who can attest to your good character and it can’t be family members. We are new to this county and I don’t know my neighbors like that lol. I think an old college friend of mine lives in our county and an old coworker too I’m going to do some digging through old contacts ugh.
I forget my hairstylist lives in our county. I’m going to ask her to be one of my good character witnesses. I’ll have to get in touch with my old college friend to confirm that she still lives in the county

SageDew

Reaction score
Reactions
9,987 141 23
Alleybux
Waiting on results from my notary exam I finally took last week. Hoping I passed

Shelleee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,413 54 48
Alleybux
I forget my hairstylist lives in our county. I’m going to ask her to be one of my good character witnesses. I’ll have to get in touch with my old college friend to confirm that she still lives in the county
Yeah I’m in Fl and only needed 1 person, I ended up asking my hairstylist too and she was fine with it.