Quantcast

For those who had (or want) a baby registry?

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
Question...

Did you receive most of what you asked for or did you expect people to actually get any of it?

Asking for myself. Mostly. I didn’t have a registry, because I felt like most of what would go on it should have been what I and LO’s dad came out of pocket for. Understandably, not everyone has that luxury, but will usually still be grateful for whatever is given. Sis in law is saying when the time comes, don’t even bother showing up to her shower or anything planned for the baby if we don’t buy off the registry.

What the hell?

I guess the reason I wanted to ask this was due to the fact that I really don’t know very many people who set up a registry and got any/much of what they wanted... So an ultimatum like that has me shook lol.

Ambi D

Fishnets, Black panty hose.
Reaction score
Reactions
337,527 7,602 1,812
Alleybux
Why would anyone think it's okay to show up to a baby shower without a gift? That's the expressed purpose of a baby shower, to shower the baby and mother with gifts. It's a party with a purpose, for family and friends to help support the mother bring a new baby in the world.
If it were a libation ceremony or a christening, that would be something different.
Even poor families pull together to put in on a group gift. A pack of 5-10 onesies cost 10 dollars.

May Flowers

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
312,526 9,451 972
Alleybux
My shower was over 10 years ago and apparently I had a registry but I didn't pick anything on it lol. My shower was a surprise planned by friends and my mom so they picked things they knew I liked. I got many things I needed and everything else I purchased after the fact. I was grateful for all I received because they all got put to good use.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
Why would anyone think it's okay to show up to a baby shower without a gift? That's the expressed purpose of a baby shower, to shower the baby and mother with gifts.
If it were a libation ceremony or a christening, that would be something different.
Even poor families pull together to put in on a group gift. A pack of 5-10 onesies cost 10 dollars.

No, Sis, no. We’re not talking about not showing up with outfits and diapers. She expects strollers, the car seats (infant or one of those converter ones that the baby can go home in then use into toddlerhood), bottle sterilizer, etc.

Ambi D

Reaction score
Reactions
337,527 7,602 1,812
Alleybux
No, Sis, no. We’re not talking about not showing up with outfits and diapers. She expects strollers, the car seats (infant or one of those converter ones that the baby can go home in then use into toddlerhood), bottle sterilizer, etc.
Most moms put together a registry with all price points so people at all incomes can buy. If she's not doing that, then yeah, she a has a problem. She's not wrong for putting that stuff on the registry though. Most people do put strollers, cribs and carseats on the registry though.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
Most people put together a registry with all price points so people at all incomes can buy. If she's not doing that, then yeah, she a has a problem. She's not wrong for putting that stuff on the registry though. Most people do put strollers, cribs and carseats on the registry though.

And that’s fine and I’m not saying I haven’t seen that, but of the few (few, few) people I know who did, the majority ended up getting stuff like that themselves.. If they didn’t already have it handy.

It’s just weird that she made it so all or nothing, but then expects the essentials like diapers and wipes in addition to (I told her my gift ideas and she said “that’s fine, but you still need to come with one of these” what the hell?)

usernamusernam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,571 1,796 240
Alleybux
I always buy from the registry unless the things in the registry are too expensive for me to buy based on our relationship. For example I got my brother a stroller at his baby shower but I wouldn't buy such a big item for a friend or someone I'm not really close to.

Your sister in law is dramatic af though. Some people may not be able to afford the things in the registry or they might see a cute outfit or personalized gift they want to buy.

I'd probably do a registry but with the expectation that me and my husband will probably be buying most of the big items after the shower.

I'm honestly not even sure that I'd want a shower though. I don't think I'd want to be around a bunch of people touching my belly and making a big deal over me while a human is inside of me making me uncomfortable.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
I always buy from the registry unless the things in the registry are too expensive for me to buy based on our relationship. For example I got my brother a stroller at his baby shower but I wouldn't buy such a big item for a friend or someone I'm not really close to.

Your sister in law is dramatic af though. Some people may not be able to afford the things in the registry or they might see a cute outfit or personalized gift they want to buy.

I'd probably do a registry but with the expectation that me and my husband will probably be buying most of the big items after the shower.

I'm honestly not even sure that I'd want a shower though. I don't think I'd want to be around a bunch of people touching my belly and making a big deal over me while a human is inside of me making me uncomfortable.

Another thing that just really itches my ass with her request is that 90% of us expected to show up have kids! I have an infant and don’t get me wrong, I probably would have got a few things off her registry but her attitude and entitlement towards it all?! It’s yuck. It is seriously gross. Her friends are mostly at the same job and they don’t make that much (the job itself is low paying even for management), so it’s like she won’t take that into consideration.

Plus most of the items she wants exceed 100 bucks, that’s someone’s groceries or a paid bill, clothes for their own kid, so on.

Princess_A

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,829 441 72
Alleybux
I feel like not buying things on the registry & showing up with whatever is tacky. But that's why you include things at all price points.

bullish af

Well-Groaned Member
Reaction score
Reactions
393,369 11,589 7,232
Alleybux
I feel like you should buy from the registry. I had one and I got everything I asked for except for some of the clothes. I hate when people buy just any type of diaper and wipes. Buy the diaper and wipes brand that are on the registry. People who aren’t parents don’t understand that switching brands can cause irritation.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
I feel like you should buy from the registry. I had one and I got everything I asked for except for some of the clothes. I hate when people buy just any type of diaper and wipes. Buy the diaper and wipes brand that are on the registry. People who aren’t parents don’t understand that switching brands can cause irritation.

She’s only written down what she’s going to ask for, right now she doesn’t have a brand for diapers and wipes specifically - but made sure to put down a “case” being preferred. Off the top of my head I can remember

A crib that’s over 400
A stroller that 150/160$
A diaper bag that’s high as all get out, but that she also wants the baby’s initials monogramed on once she’s decided on a name.
Monogramed blankets only, at least 4.

Smh. Before anyone asks, she and my brother aren’t together, the baby is going to basically have double of everything (will stay with him whenever she decides to go back to work).

Blackpearl

in his arms, watching the tide
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
33,775 414 72
Alleybux
Registries are meant to show family and friends what a mom needs and desires for her baby, but people aren't obligated to give a gift at all much less one from the registry. I always buy something that is listed, but people do bring what they can afford and what they think a new mom needs. That's not always practical, unfortunately. But...that's what gift receipts are for...mom to be can just return what she doesn't like. I think that moms should generally buy their own car seats and strollers, but sometimes that depends on the norms within her family. There are families that will buy anything on a registry including a crib. Others, tend to stick to buying clothing, bouncers, diapers, etc.

No matter what, it is best for moms to put all the things needed on the registry--even big ticket items. Most stores with registries offer a nice discount to the mom to be for anything on the registry that wasn't gifted to her. She can use the discount to purchase the other items herself.

bullish af

Well-Groaned Member
Reaction score
Reactions
393,369 11,589 7,232
Alleybux
She’s only written down what she’s going to ask for, right now she doesn’t have a brand for diapers and wipes specifically - but made sure to put down a “case” being preferred. Off the top of my head I can remember

A crib that’s over 400
A stroller that 150/160$
A diaper bag that’s high as all get out, but that she also wants the baby’s initials monogramed on once she’s decided on a name.
Monogramed blankets only, at least 4.

Smh. Before anyone asks, she and my brother aren’t together, the baby is going to basically have double of everything (will stay with him whenever she decides to go back to work).

Oh wow...what about all the everyday items though? Buy the toiletries. She is looking for a come up.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
Registries are meant to show family and friends what a mom needs and desires for her baby, but people aren't obligated to give a gift at all much less one from the registry. I always buy something that is listed, but people do bring what they can afford and what they think a new mom needs. That's not always practical, unfortunately. But...that's what gift receipts are for...mom to be can just return what she doesn't like. I think that moms should generally buy their own car seats and strollers, but sometimes that depends on the norms within her family. There are families that will buy anything on a registry including a crib. Others, tend to stick to buying clothing, bouncers, diapers, etc.

No matter what, it is best for moms to put all the things needed on the registry--even big ticket items. Most stores with registries offer a nice discount to the mom to be for anything on the registry that wasn't gifted to her. She can use the discount to purchase the other items herself.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

Oh wow...what about all the everyday items though? Buy the toiletries. She is looking for a come up.

She didn’t have much listed as far as everyday use except those cases of diapers and wipes.

Oh, except the breast pads. She wants 10 or 11 boxes of those. I could actually understand that, though. Except I think the largest amount I saw that they could come in was 60 (I could be wrong), so wtf is she gonna do with 600 pads?!

Last edited:

MistressNae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
366,756 7,937 4,307
Alleybux
If there is a registry then I buy off the registry. Most people usually have a mix of cheaper and more expensive items. Family members usually get the big token items and friends usually get the cheaper items.

Car seats, strollers and tubs are usually on the registry as well.

My future registry if I have kids probably won’t have the stroller or car seat since I want a 1k stroller and my family would curse me out. My mom might buy it though if I give her a grandchild.....

Blackpearl

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
33,775 414 72
Alleybux
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

She didn’t have much listed as far as everyday use except those cases of diapers and wipes.

Oh, except the breast pads. She wants 10 or 11 boxes of those. I could actually understand that, though. Except I think the largest amount I saw that they could come in was 60 (I could be wrong), so wtf is she gonna do with 600 pads?!
I nursed both of my kids. Those nursing pads get used up quickly, especially in the beginning when leaking is more common. 10 to 11 boxes isn't a bad idea.

I am serious about the discount for items that are listed but not gifted. New parents use those coupons and discounts to buy the more expensive stuff. Here's a blurb about it that I found online:

There are a few key factors to consider when choosing where to register:

• Convenience: Is it more convenient for you (and your friends/family) to have your main baby registry at an online retailer like Amazon, or do you prefer an in-person experience?
  • Completion Discount: As your due date gets close, you’ll receive a coupon or discount code to purchase any remaining items that aren’t purchased for you from your registry. This is known as the completion discount, and it is a HUGE factor in deciding where to register. You will likely need to buy some items off your registry for yourself, so this definitely helps when you’re making such a big and important purchase.
  • Return Policy: Stores will usually provide a more generous return policy for items purchased from your baby registry. Since most baby showers happen weeks before your due date, this gives you a chance to get settled with your new items and also try them out once your baby is born.
  • Product Selection: Even though a lot of baby registries are now universal, meaning you can add products to your registry from any website, the retailer’s own product selection is an important factor. If you’re primarily looking for gentler baby products, for example, it’ll save you time to register with a retailer that carries these products.
  • Price Match Policy: A price match policy is important, because it helps ensure that you get the most competitive pricing on any items you buy from your registry.
Most retailers will also give you a free welcome box for creating your registry. While I think it’s fun, I don’t think the contents of the free welcome bags should sway you when trying to choose from the best baby registry sites for you!

Blackpearl

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
33,775 414 72
Alleybux
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

I have to ask: what items are the mom and your brother buying themselves? Have they purchased anything for their own child?

Ambi D

Reaction score
Reactions
337,527 7,602 1,812
Alleybux
So you're the baby's fathers sister. Sounds about right.

You have no well wishes for her and are nit picking her nursing pads sis. Just stay home.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
I have to ask: what items are the mom and your brother buying themselves? Have they purchased anything for their own child?

I was just about to post on this thread about that. Okay, my brother pretty much has the nursery together (it’s been repainted, decorated) he has a lot of the necessities (crib, rocker, etc) at his place. (They’re still married, but live apart - complicated sh!t).

He gave her money to get whatever she wanted the baby to have and she basically split it between maternity shots and planning for their gender reveal in a couple of weeks (catering, DJ, the location, etc). So now she won’t just tell him she blew the money and I’m damn near certain that’s why we’re being held to the standard to make up for it.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
So you're the baby's fathers sister. Sounds about right.

You have no well wishes for her and are nit picking her nursing pads sis. Just stay home.

Not nitpicking, I said I could understand the pads definitely... But 600 (if I were to get the 60 to a box)??

Whatever floats her boat, I’m just saying. There was nothing technically unreasonable about it, though she isn’t a fan of breastfeeding or women who do it (publicly), so I’m not certain she will ... Hence the confusion with needing breast pads in excess... I get leaking after birth and everyone is different so maybe it’s just preparation in case she leaks longer than others? Regardless the pad thing is not technically unreasonable, I didn’t mean to come across that way. I understood that one more than anything else I saw.

Had to rephrase...

Last edited:

Blackpearl

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
33,775 414 72
Alleybux
I was just about to post on this thread about that. Okay, my brother pretty much has the nursery together (it’s been repainted, decorated) he has a lot of the necessities (crib, rocker, etc) at his place. (They’re still married, but live apart - complicated sh!t).

He gave her money to get whatever she wanted the baby to have and she basically split it between maternity shots and planning for their gender reveal in a couple of weeks (catering, DJ, the location, etc). So now she won’t just tell him she blew the money and I’m damn near certain that’s why we’re being held to the standard to make up for it.
Now this info changes everything. Listen, I love babies and I love to send gifts to help the little one(s) and new parents get off to a good start. I especially feel this way about blessing the birth of a black child. I spend more on gifts for close friends than I would for a coworker, church member, or acquaintance. If a family is struggling, then I'm also willing to spend a bit more.

But...clearly, this mom had the money to buy what is needed and instead she wasted it. Dad prepared his home wisely. Mom really should have done the same. It's not the fault of fmaily and friends that she was more concerned about maternity pics (nice to have but not a necessity like the items on her registry) and gender reveal catering/venue/dj (sounds like fun but not a necessity like the items on the registry). This woman has her priorities mixed up, and since she is separated from her husband, then she'll soon realize that it is more costly to maintain separate households than it is to maintain just one jointly. She sounds selfish and entitled.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
Now this info changes everything. Listen, I love babies and I love to send gifts to help the little one(s) and new parents get off to a good start. I especially feel this way about blessing the birth of a black child. I spend more on gifts for close friends than I would for a coworker, church member, or acquaintance. If a family is struggling, then I'm also willing to spend a bit more.

But...clearly, this mom had the money to buy what is needed and instead she wasted it. Dad prepared his home wisely. Mom really should have done the same. It's not the fault of fmaily and friends that she was more concerned about maternity pics (nice to have but not a necessity like the items on her registry) and gender reveal catering/venue/dj (sounds like fun but not a necessity like the items on the registry). This woman has her priorities mixed up, and since she is separated from her husband, then she'll soon realize that it is more costly to maintain separate households than it is to maintain just one jointly. She sounds selfish and entitled.

When I tell you how she called us (me, my brothers and both sets of parents) over to see that she did 3 separate sessions but with 3 different photogs...

I was not ready. Lmao. She looked beautiful as hell, like a Barbie doll in each and every last one of them, but it couldn’t have been me. Especially not knowing how big of a party I planned on having for the baby?! I was floored, laughing like hell but just amazed.

Once the registry is official/available to us all, I’ll get her a gift or two. But I still hate how it’s been gone about.

Blackpearl

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
33,775 414 72
Alleybux
When I tell you how she called us (me, my brothers and both sets of parents) over to see that she did 3 separate sessions but with 3 different photogs...

I was not ready. Lmao. She looked beautiful as hell, like a Barbie doll in each and every last one of them, but it couldn’t have been me. Especially not knowing how big of a party I planned on having for the baby?! I was floored, laughing like hell but just amazed.

Once the registry is official/available to us all, I’ll get her a gift or two. But I still hate how it’s been gone about.
I'm sure she looked beautiful, and I'm sure that she had them done because she's excited about her new baby. But...three photo shoots with three photographers??? That's ridiculous! If she could afford it that's one thing, but to spend money on that and then need EVERYONE and their mother to buy what she does need for HER baby??? No, ma'am! I do not mind buying a gift for a new baby, but since I didn't impregnate you, please don't act entitled.

NumbLove

Sitting Pretty in my Palace
Reaction score
Reactions
72,564 5,686 4,633
Alleybux
I don’t do those for baby showers..I give diapers and wipes. Necessities only.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
I'm sure she looked beautiful, and I'm sure that she had them done because she's excited about her new baby. But...three photo shoots with three photographers??? That's ridiculous! If she could afford it that's one thing, but to spend money on that and then need EVERYONE and their mother to buy what she does need for HER baby??? No, ma'am! I do not mind buying a gift for a new baby, but since I didn't impregnate you, please don't act entitled.

She’s been hung up on everything being perfect since she found out, but all it’s done is stress her out, cost her both arms and one and a half legs and emphasize bratty behavior.

That’s why I was trying to work with her going about all of this, because I get it and we want her to be happy (happy mom, happy baby). I just felt a little offended. Like she’s finally bending that last straw. We (friends and family) try to do what we can, but that threat was really unnecessary/hurtful.

I don’t do those for baby showers..I give diapers and wipes. Necessities only.

Lmao I had to tell someone else in the family about this sh!t before I asked you all for your opinions. Only one other relative knows what’s going on (not going to tell my mom or brother... Not unless she’s not ready within a month) and she said “what the hell happened to pampers, wipes and butt paste?!” Gone are the days, I guess lmao.

I was gonna spice it up with a gift card. *shrugs*

Blackpearl

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
33,775 414 72
Alleybux
She’s been hung up on everything being perfect since she found out, but all it’s done is stress her out, cost her both arms and one and a half legs and emphasize bratty behavior.

That’s why I was trying to work with her going about all of this, because I get it and we want her to be happy (happy mom, happy baby). I just felt a little offended. Like she’s finally bending that last straw. We (friends and family) try to do what we can, but that threat was really unnecessary/hurtful.

Lmao I had to tell someone else in the family about this sh!t before I asked you all for your opinions. Only one other relative knows what’s going on (not going to tell my mom or brother... Not unless she’s not ready within a month) and she said “what the hell happened to pampers, wipes and butt paste?!” Gone are the days, I guess lmao.

I was gonna spice it up with a gift card. *shrugs*
Please come back after the shower to update us.

PinkPancakes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,378 2,778 141
Alleybux
I stick to necessities and practical items only. I also always include a book with my gifts. A lot of new moms have no idea what they actually need and include a bunch of bs that never gets used.

From what I've noticed, many people with registries don't even get half the sh!t that they asked for. There's only ever 2-3 people who actually buy from it.

djanex

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,543 189 15
Alleybux
I made one, but everybody just bought what they wanted to anyway. I wasn't going to make one just because of that.
Most of the people that bugged me about making a registry didn't even buy off of it or anything close to any of the items on it lol. Matter of fact, my mom was the only person that bought anything off of it.

AfriLux

Pampered princess from the ghetto
Reaction score
Reactions
29,034 1,507 616
Alleybux
I'm a great gift giver. For baby showers, I do "gift baskets". Its usually a monogrammed diaper bag filled with other items like clothes, burp cloths, bottle cleaners, nail clippers, thermometers, shoes, wipes, etc. It has a little bit of everything. If she isn't happy with that gift, then she shouldn't expect anything else from me. That's very ungrateful.

The only person that could even think they'll get a stroller/car seat from me is my blood sister.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
Please come back after the shower to update us.

Don't think I'm going.

The Good:

1. Cake idea the bakery came up with is superb. Even the cake made of cupcakes was gorgeous. Adorable mini, regular and jumbo cakes with ombre icing. Looks like a tribute to the Eiffel Tower, almost?

2. Location is very nice, spacious. We don't have to worry about being on top of one another.

3. Dress is STUNNNNNNNIIIINNNNNGGGGG. Goes perfect with the theme/colors in mind. Planned decor is equally gorgeous. Pricey as hell, though.

4. She secured the MUA and hair stylist she wanted, which is always a plus. Because she and ol' girl are cool and she's been working with her since before she picked up steam... This meant a discount - Leading to

5. She's willing to pay for me and two other friends to get our nails, hair and face done for the event. Because, ideally, outside of a few pics of us standing/posing with her, we should be in almost every picture taken at random. Photog has this noted that a picture is only taken if one of us is present.

The "okay":

1. There's a dress code/ hierarchy. Me and the other two people are expected to wear a similar color to her so that the pictures taken with her or around the place by the photog don't clash and your attention is automatically pulled to us. Her gran/mom/aunt and an older family friend through her mom are expected to wear a particular color (I wasn't told what. Just that the same applied to them, too), this is to make sure that in pictures people know they also hold weight in her life. Also won't "clash" in pictures.

2. Wanted to know if people would know to attach money to her mom to be sash. Or if it would be more fool proof to just leave a box at the door letting them know.

3. There's a limit placed on consumption while photographers are present as far as food and punch goes. Once they leave, she doesn't care how much anyone eats.

*For the people who don't get in, you have to drop you gift off at her house after the event. She's placed a time frame on when or how long she'll accept. She needs the gift before her LO is 3 months old. If she doesn't receive it in 3 months, there's nothing you have to say to her or her baby. Which I actually can agree with to a fault. Too many people show fake love or say whatever comes to mind to stay in one's good graces. I wasn't mad at this at all, but I can see how it's problematic.

The Ugly/My biggest complaints:

1. Men were invited to act as volunteer help. Not to enjoy the event or help her celebrate, but to act as clean up grew, keep drinks and snacks refilled, etc. If the man is not willing to, he can't come. Period.

2. Names she has in mind are all colors. BUT not just specific shades, but with a middle name also starting with same letter. The only one I specifically remember was Cobolt Clay, but others would be like a Violet Victoria, Lime Lennon, so forth.

3. She had us do a survey on what food we would prefer for a main cuisine. Soul food or sushi. Tells me today, 4 days from the event that she decided not to go with soul food (the majority vote), because it doesn't seem as "chic and sophisticated". So, it's going to be hella unsuspecting people who are going to show up to really only having sushi to eat. The pro of it all is that it'll be different kinds of sushi, but that's still not everyone's thing.

Other things people might view as woes: Water, herbal tea (still deciding on which) and veggie-fruit punch (of which she wants me to help her in juicing, the least I can do). BUT there's also going to be some alcohol cocktail mix that sounded good as hell, alas only one glass per person. No "drunk asses".

Snacks/appetizers: mushroom or Italian pinwheels; pineapple and lamb mini sandwiches/burgers/sliders(?)

4. NO KIDS. No kids, but she's having this sh!t on a Wednesday after school hours. Unless a man is there to open the door, if you aren't at the place by 5:30, then you just don't get in. If it was a Saturday or Sunday, I'd understand "no kids", but during the week?!* (See "The Okay")

5. She wants someone to direct the cars (she's willing to pay), but older cars park in the back and newer cars in the front of the building.

sugarwraith

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,342 830 1,771
Alleybux
I'm a great gift giver. For baby showers, I do "gift baskets". Its usually a monogrammed diaper bag filled with other items like clothes, burp cloths, bottle cleaners, nail clippers, thermometers, shoes, wipes, etc. It has a little bit of everything. If she isn't happy with that gift, then she shouldn't expect anything else from me. That's very ungrateful.

The only person that could even think they'll get a stroller/car seat from me is my blood sister.

I didn't see your post originally, but I agree with you. To me, that would be a fine gift and is actually what I considered (in addition to a gift card for her to shop wherever she wanted the baby to have clothes or whatever else from), but we're still stuck with also getting a one item minimum off the registry.

That said, it's looking like I'm just going to have to drop my sh!t off at her place and keep it pushing.