Quantcast

Former Congressman Barney Frank Comes Out as an Atheist

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...barney-frank-finally-comes-out-as-an-atheist/

August 3, 2013 by: Hemant Mehta

Yes, former Congressman Barney Frank is gay. Yes, Barney Frank is liberal. Yes, Barney Frank is a Democrat from generally-progressive Massachusetts. Yes, we all probably assumed he was an atheist.

But until now, his official religious affiliation (PDF) had always been “Jewish.”

Last night, after taping Real Time with Bill Maher, Frank referred to the fact that he was a “pot-smoking atheist” on the post-show segment “Overtime” (about 0:50 into the segment):

Bill Maher: … you were in a fairly safe district. You were not one of those Congresspeople who have to worry about every little thing. You could come on this show, and sit next to a pot-smoking atheist, and it wouldn’t bother you…

Barney Frank: [Pointing back and forth to himself and Maher] Which pot-smoking atheist were you talking about? [Laughter]

Bill Maher: Ooh, you are liberated!

Barney Frank: No, I would tell you now… I regret… I had asked my governor to appoint me to the open Senate seat and he decided not to, and I was looking forward to having my husband Jim hold the Constitution, not the Bible, and affirm, not swear, that I was gonna be a wonderful Senator.

Bill Maher: You would’ve been a wonderful Senator…​

It’s one of those things you wish he could’ve said more openly during the 32 years he sat in Congress. Somehow, it was okay to be a gay liberal, but saying he was an atheist would’ve been taking things too far…

In any case, former Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA) still remains the only openly atheist member of Congress in our history.

Queen Nandi

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
65,501 2,588 1,350
Alleybux
"Comes out" I guess atheist bashing will soon become a hate crime. Lawdhavmercy will finally have his revenge on me:laugh:

teddturn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,676 6 14
Alleybux
Of course he's an atheist, what else would he be with the corruptible actions he engaged in as a congressman?

JCKeepitreal

Hey, Just Keeping It Real
Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
I'm not in the least surprised. Actually, if you are gay you will probably be an atheist as well IF you want to keep your peace of mind. Established religions are not at all fond of homosexuality soooo that leaves a homosexual with really one peaceful choice --- atheism.

Karin

Reaction score
Reactions
70 2
Alleybux
fµck Jesus, get money.

LOL

Some of y'all have so much hate for people that don't believe what you do lmfaoooo

ETA- Its a shame that someone has to hide their religious views, it's really upsetting. I WOULD say more but im not in the mood & im watching beyond scared straight lol

BluffCityBelle

Paul say something stupid
Reaction score
Reactions
4,997 224 687
Alleybux
It's too bad politicians have to cultivate this faux-religious attitude to get elected. They're swearing to uphold the Constitution, not any one of a hundred different holy texts.

BluffCityBelle

Paul say something stupid
Reaction score
Reactions
4,997 224 687
Alleybux
I'm not in the least surprised. Actually, if you are gay you will probably be an atheist as well IF you want to keep your peace of mind. Established religions are not at all fond of homosexuality soooo that leaves a homosexual with really one peaceful choice --- atheism.

That is not true at all. At least in the US, there are thousands of houses of worship that accept and affirm gay congregants.

http://www.gaychurch.org/

Reaction score
Reactions
195 10 16
Alleybux

Or...join you in that closet. :question:

michelleo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,763 291 70
Alleybux

Yeah that why there are some many homesexuals in church.:disdain:

:yawn:Gay people have been here since the beginning of time and they are not going anywhere..

Karin

Reaction score
Reactions
70 2
Alleybux
How can you be proud of being lost?

How is being an Atheist being lost? Majority of the smartest people on earth & in history were Atheist LMAOOOOOOOO

lmaooo the Jesus freaks on here

HomoSeparati

Pretentious Homosexual
Reaction score
Reactions
30,890 5,537 2,727
Alleybux
How can you be proud of being lost?

He's unsaved so is millions in this world. It's their choice. You can't force people to love the Lord. The more you try the more they will hate him. Remember, when you were not saved? Or where you saved ever since you were a child?

Steeler Fan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,803 108 21
Alleybux
It's too bad politicians have to cultivate this faux-religious attitude to get elected. They're swearing to uphold the Constitution, not any one of a hundred different holy texts.
The one thing that will always be hard for religionists to accept is the fact that the "founding fathers" were theists and atheists, not Christians as fundamentalists continue to deceive people into believing. History doesn't lie. If there is still doubt, the Constitution lays the facts of their "religious" positions out.

JCKeepitreal

Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
Yeah that why there are some many homesexuals in church.:disdain:

:yawn:Gay people have been here since the beginning of time and they are not going anywhere..
They do remain in the Black church as long as they keep their mouths shut about their sexuality. A relative of mine told me recently that a guy that she really liked was going to be promoted to a position in the church --- until they found out that he was messing around with men. His name was taken out of the hat and now he only occasionally visits that church. The Black church appears to wrestle with this dilemma but normally follows the laws in the Bible when confronted with a problem like this.

HomoSeparati

Pretentious Homosexual
Reaction score
Reactions
30,890 5,537 2,727
Alleybux
SUCH an evil belief.

The ultimate dehumanization of outsiders.

Get over it. That's life. Most religions makes a distinction between "us and them". So do most philosophies and ethnic groups. So it's not evil, just life. If I'm okay with Christian beliefs, and I'm a homosexual. I don't know why you would be so against it.

michelleo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,763 291 70
Alleybux
They do remain in the Black church as long as they keep their mouths shut about their sexuality. A relative of mine told me recently that a guy that she really liked was going to be promoted to a position in the church --- until they found out that he was messing around with men. His name was taken out of the hat and now he only occasionally visits that church. The Black church appears to wrestle with this dilemma but normally follows the laws in the Bible when confronted with a problem like this.

That maybe for your relatives church, but not true for many churches..People don't care about other peoples personal lives like that anymore..Especially more progressive Churches.

HomoSeparati

Pretentious Homosexual
Reaction score
Reactions
30,890 5,537 2,727
Alleybux
That maybe for your relatives church, but not true for many churches..People don't care about other peoples personal lives like that anymore..Especially more progressive Churches.

The purpose of the Church is to ensure that nobody falls into sin. If the church doesn't care about people's personal lives, than they're doing it wrong.

Btw, atheist- Why are you always on Christians' balls? Why can't you let them believe what they want to believe?

JCKeepitreal

Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
That maybe for your relatives church, but not true for manyA FEW churches..People don't care about other peoples personal lives like that anymore..Especially more progressive Churches.
I don't believe they ever had issues with your sexuality esp. if you are the organist or choir director. They'll take tithes from anybody. But in my REGION of the country your sexuality will definitely hold you back from certain positions within the church IF you are openly gay. But, most gays where I am from already know this and keep their mouths shut and their personal biz on the low.

michelleo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,763 291 70
Alleybux
The purpose of the Church is to ensure that nobody falls into sin. If the church doesn't care about people's personal lives, than they're doing it wrong.

Btw, atheist- Why are you always on Christians' balls? Why can't you let them believe what they want to believe?

I'm not an Atheist, nor am I gay..I'm just not judgemental and believe God loves all..It was you who made the blanket statement that homesexuals are Atheist..You have no proof of that.

The purpose of the church is to teach the word and not to judge. Everyone that's in the church are sinners..

JCKeepitreal

Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
The purpose of the church is to teach the word and not to judge. Everyone that's in the church are sinners..
Everybody judges. It's insane to even ask that ppl be non-judgmental. How else are we going to determine what is appropriate or inappropriate behavior if we don't have acceptable parameters/boundaries? Parents judge their children's behavior and adults judge the behaviors of other adults. That's one of the ways you determine how you want to live your life.

Rhizo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
64 2 5
Alleybux
Progressive churches could care less about one's personal life, being or walk with "God":yawn:

Their goal is all about the "Money"
Therefore they Speak, Teach & Preach" anything u wanna hear OR don't wanna hear 2 keep U Comming back with the:
"Almighty Dollar":moneymouth:
"The doors of the church r open" Come on Down??????:pwink:

bluevelvet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,396 84 28
Alleybux

But human beings are born into sin, the church doesn't ensure that you do not fall into sin, per se. I always thought Church is suppose to be a place of worship, fellowship and community.

Twirl

“Good to hear from you, b!tch”
Reaction score
Reactions
39,602 2,726 875
Alleybux
Don't judge. I hung out with him all night at the Black Caucus. He was hella cool.

Zeb Coulter

RACIST WHITE TROLL
Reaction score
Reactions
67 2 2
Alleybux
I must say I am extremely shocked he is an Atheist. And all of this time I thought the flaming queen that is Barney Frank was a Mormon.

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
Originally Posted by Don Lemon
He's unsaved so is millions in this world. It's their choice...
SUCH an evil belief. The ultimate dehumanization of outsiders.
Get over it. That's life. Most religions makes a distinction between "us and them". So do most philosophies and ethnic groups. So it's not evil, just life. If I'm okay with Christian beliefs, and I'm a homosexual. I don't know why you would be so against it.
Religions... correct.
Secular humanistic philosophies... nope.
Evil... yep.
Why am I so against dehumanization of outsiders? Are you serious? Maybe because most historians and scientists consider it the number one basis for bigotry, oppression, and war.

BTW, Christian - YOU'RE the one who came in to this positive thread about atheism with insults. And the very fact that Barney Frank could be open about his sexuality in Congress yet not his atheism, where ninety percent of members are Christian, proves it's hardly ATHEISTS not letting CHRISTIANS believe what they want, but OBVIOUSLY the other way around.