Quantcast

FX- "Mrs. America" (WATCH THREAD)

Bourgie Boho

Igbo girls dey maintain
Reaction score
Reactions
236,722 9,040 6,388
Alleybux
Update on timeline: We are in 75-76. Ford is president. ERA needs 4 more states until ratification. Bella is now a congresswoman. Stop ERA is suffering getting new bodies into their movement.

This Jill lady had Phyllis unhinged the entire episode lol. Lmao you can tell Jill and Phyllis hated each other. You could tell Phyllis wanted to be her.

It's interesting to see the split within the Republican Party over the ERA. Phyllis and her family were feeling left out and talks of Regan going third party over it..interesting. Phyllis dislike for Ford moves her to start shilling and mobilizing for Regan.

As someone who isn't conservative or Republican, it's interesting to see the split between moderates/socially liberal republicans, and alt right/straight, all round conservatives. Kind of directly connects to what's going on right now in the Dem party.

The creepy congressman groped her as she walked the door and Jill said she's "use to suffering for the cause." Sad. I was dead at Phyllis' face when she saw sis had hairy armpits lol.

Phyllis and Stop-ERA start collaborating and mobilizing with a multitude religious dominations and created the Eagle Forum. Precusor to what helped to give birth to the Christian Right we know as so well today. LOL at Jill saying the Regan revolution is going to fail. I bet she bit her words 5 years later.

Damn so many of the congressional secretaries were experiencing harassment and assault. Glad to know Shirley was sticking up for them. In pre-Anita Hill days, that is comforting. Too many rape apologists in this episode I can't. Not surprised about Phyills. But, Shirley tells Bella that congressmen are asking women if they engage in oral xes during interviews and her response is to play party politics??? Shirley was really the only one about the actual people throughout this entire series so far.

It's quite funny how Reganites are being portrayed and framed like Trump supporters in this episode. Far-right, radicals, crazies. LOL. Phyllis yet again wants to be taken serious but excuses the men for the dumb behavior.

I'm happy you touched on this. Bella is by far one of the most annoying women on this series and is truly what white feminism is all about. Gloria just rode the wave and was just blahh

simplereminder

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,520 1,604 403
Alleybux
Tonight’s ep was very interesting.
At first I thought the whole loopy drug thing was annoying and slowed down the momentum of the episode but I love how it ended with Sarah Paulson’s character looking at these other women around her with an open mind and finally asking questions about what they’re fighting about

I feel like if more Republican woman just loosen up and get to know people that are different than them they’ll realize the fallacies of their thinking

britvp96

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,483 406 60
Alleybux
Timeline Update: Nov. '77, ERA needs 3 states until ratification

Wow women really ran from NY all the way to Houston? The dedication lol. I also wonder why they decided to hold the convention in Houston of all places. The hypocrisy in the bathroom stall scene between Paulson and the other woman...sheesh. Talking bout it is his right to say you can't come. You would think if Phyllis were to send her minions out to do her bidding, she would at least media train them.

Lmao I happy they should that seen between Paulson and the lady from NOW. Hope it showed them that they have more in common with the "libbers" than they think. Paulson's triptastic voyage montage scenes...epic. I wonder if Alice will become a feminist. It was interesting to see her journey and how she started to really question what she was fighting for. I was about to see their anti-ERA rally was nothing but White people, but I saw one little speckle of Black lol. But nothing like someone waving a confederate flag to make you look like a joke.

Also, I didn't like how the STOP ERA would go for the low-blow and malicious taglines. I liked how the ERA movement fought back with actual fact.

Again, all this shows is that Phyllis was a hypocrite and all the people that followed her were idiots. Like NOW said, she WAS the most liberated woman out there at the time. She was founding organizations, attending law school, doing press interviews, running for political office. She was no different than most of the feminist she was advocating against.

Anyway next week is the last episode of the series! Get ready for the unfortunate Regan era.

CerebralRecess

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,381 1,793 1,103
Alleybux
Phyllis Schafly is a shepherd for the devil. Rose Byrne, Uzo and Neicy Nash are my favorites. All of characters represent pioneers in real life which is awesome. It’s a great historical piece.

britvp96

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,483 406 60
Alleybux
It's been a great ride.

Timeline Update: It is 1979, ERA is 3 short states, Congress gave a 3 year extension on the deadline

Lmao at Phyllis coming to campus in that ratted brown wig thinking she looked like a whole other person. Pam started to listen to Phyllis again when it comes to her abusive husband. Sad that no one except Alice was actually trying to help her get out. Rose was right though. Even though the movement started out as a focus on getting rid of the ERA, it's been years since it was about that. Nor did Phyllis want that to be her only legacy. She was also looking at the bigger picture- the religious conservative moment. She was definitely cut-throat and again more liberated than her followers realized.

Sad that Gloria had to sell Ms. toward the end of the decade. Seems like feminism wasn't as hot then. The Gala was weird as hell. And the impersonators of Bella and Gloria for a minute I thought were drag queens lol. Both Alice and Phyllis's daughter are not with the sh!ts lol. Phyllis' gay son is a whole ass clown and self-hating man.

Damn, it was cold that Phyllis didn't even acknowledge her sister-in-law considering she raised her children for her lol. Only White men can run for president with rumors of a throple circulating. Phyllis wants women to stay in the house but is out in these streets negotiating for a Cabinet position? Send her to the streets. Alice gave Phyllis all the heat and I'm happy Eleanor finally gonna get a man. Regan was considered anti-establishment? LMAOOOO. Fred getting fed up again. I couldn't be with someone who doesn't work with me as a team.

Good to know MAGA wasn't originally lmao. Aw sister loyalty standing up for Bella. I'm happy Alice got a job and she feels more empowered now. I truly believe Phyllis liked feeling she had more power and opportunity than the women she was "friends" with. Her mother did not say she was anointed by God. LMAOOO. Now Phyllis got a political consulting firm? LMAO. Send her to the streets. Roger Stone and Paul Manafort... BOO. Of course they were Regan's people. Seems like crazy, religious alt-right conservatism hasn't changed them.

Fred is hella salty and Phyllis really organized and became a household name around a single issue- the ERA. Now is in the room consulting with presidential candidates on strategy. Even though I don't agree with her that was some real boss sh!t.

ELECTION NIGHT- 1980

Ugh...Regan. Ugh...Regan era.

True that the1980 presidential election was a landslide. Carter got 49 electoral votes to Regans 489. Only winning Georgia (his home state), Michigan, and West Virginia. Sad that right after Regan's election, all the women's lib movement leaders knew it was over for them. Phyllis did all the work for Regan, basically securing the religious right and some conservative women vote for him, and he didn't give her nothing. Not a cabinet position nor appointment. That's what she gets honestly. She was a clown all the all the way toward the end.

So many of these actresses look EXACTLY like the people they were portraying.

Phyllis fought so hard against the ERA just for Regan, her conservative Adonis, to appoint a pro-ERA woman as the first UN Ambassador. That what she will be remembered for fumbling her own bag. Of course Phyllis would be a Trump supporter and her last book would be called, the "Conservative Case for Trump."

The true legacy of the ERA, is that it never died like Phyllis and all the anti-ERA people thought it would. Even though it failed after the extension deadline in 1982; 35, 36, and 38 years later, Nevada, Illinois, and Virginia all ratified it. The House has also passed a resolution to rescind the deadline.

I guess that's another thing to look forward to with the 2020 election. If the Dems get control of the Senate, the ERA has a strong chance to be amended into the Constitution.

Ashley Del Rey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
417,146 12,389 1,265
Alleybux
Gloria was a badd bihhhh

large_gloria_steinem_phone.jpgde.jpg

ValentineGirl81

Mrs Huston
Reaction score
Reactions
104,844 2,384 286
Alleybux
Phyllis was a monster and a hypocrite. She was the most liberated woman out of all of them. Her sister in law and maid basically raised her kids and she did what the fµck she wanted.

Oksana

#TeamMajor #MajorHive
Reaction score
Reactions
69,597 1,137 81
Alleybux
Damn this was a really fantastic series. She did all of this terrible sh!t and she STILL didn’t get a seat at the men’s table. You hate to see it.

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,934 1,770 409
Alleybux
they should have made a series about shirley chisolm, phyllis schlafly was a piece of sh!t whose legacy doesn't need any more notoriety than it already unfortunately has. she should have been a side character in a series about shirley chisolm, just to remind people of what a piece of sh!t she was, and nothing else.

This is a great show. I love the actors. Cate Blanchett is amazing, as is everyone else. I love Uzo Aduba as Shirley Chisholm. I love Rose as Gloria Steinem.

I agree with a series about Shirley Chisholm @awazing and I think this series could make that series a reality and should. Did you see the Chisholm '72 documentary? It was amazing.

Lr1127

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,972 206 58
Alleybux
This series should have been on TV instead of online. I love how
Phyllis was a monster and a hypocrite. The show paint her out just like what she was a hypocrite. PS I want to know if Phyllis and Phil Crane had xes? Phyllis strike me as the type to do anything to climb to the top.

britvp96

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,483 406 60
Alleybux
I hope there's a season 2. There's so many other notable feminist leaders to explore.

There won’t be for Mrs. America. The last episode was the series finale. But who knows, Murphy might do eventually make another series focusing on another period of the women’s movement.

Bourgie Boho

Igbo girls dey maintain
Reaction score
Reactions
236,722 9,040 6,388
Alleybux
This series should have been on TV instead of online. I love how
Phyllis was a monster and a hypocrite. The show paint her out just like what she was a hypocrite. PS I want to know if Phyllis and Phil Crane had xes? Phyllis strike me as the type to do anything to climb to the top.

I feel like they did! Her followers see her as this pure woman, but she's conniving and phil wasn't a bad looking guy.

MargaeryTyrell

I Don't Want To Be A Queen. I Want To Be THE Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,132 1,600
Alleybux
I need to watch that finale episode again. It was great! Phyllis is insufferable, she really wanted a high powered job as ambassador to the UN. I’m so glad Reagan gave the job to another woman, even though the women libbers didn’t get what they wanted. They still had political sway and Reagan had to consider how they’d reacting to him selecting Phyllis for the job. I know she was fuming lol. I loved that scene of her in the kitchen preparing a meal for her man. That’s what you fought for, now live it! She didn’t follow her husband’s lead, the way she spoke over him and made her own decisions (as she should) yet tried to act like she was traditional. She didn’t even raise her kids, she was a full time worker! Phyllis was incredibly selfish, narcissistic and honestly evil too. The series was kinda easy on her.

Alice had an interesting transition, I’m glad she broke free from Phyllis. A lot of these women were just terrified, scared of change that seemed to be happening too fast in their eyes. They believed they could not work and provide for themselves. I felt so sorry for Pamela who was obviously dealing with domestic abuse but had to endure it because she relied on her husband for everything. None of those anti-ERA women helped her, I wonder what happened to her? Women like that usually end up dead smh.

Im glad to see the ERA legacy live on, there is still a lot to do and I can’t wait to be active again once the virus pandemic is over.

jell0

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,050 117 156
Alleybux
Damn this was a really fantastic series. She did all of this terrible sh!t and she STILL didn’t get a seat at the men’s table. You hate to see it.

That’s the thing, though.

She devotes the better part of a DECADE on this (facade) battle for the right of women to be housewives.

The reward for the victory in that is the right to remain a housewife. It is not a cabinet position. She got what the patriarchal environment she helped create gives to traditional women :sneaky:

They played her, though. Her “helpmate” act ended up sealing her fate in and of itself.

On a side note I LOVED the music in the elevator scene; it was like they used it to transition us into the 1980s (synthesizer sound) and show the resultant momentum of the Reagan election built up by the very people in that elevator.

Anyone else notice how old the music at the end is? I liked the irony and that tie-in. It sounded like some ancient diddy from the 1920s.

petty_grey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,773 206 104
Alleybux
Timeline Update: Nov. '77, ERA needs 3 states until ratification

Wow women really ran from NY all the way to Houston? The dedication lol. I also wonder why they decided to hold the convention in Houston of all places. The hypocrisy in the bathroom stall scene between Paulson and the other woman...sheesh. Talking bout it is his right to say you can't come. You would think if Phyllis were to send her minions out to do her bidding, she would at least media train them.

Lmao I happy they should that seen between Paulson and the lady from NOW. Hope it showed them that they have more in common with the "libbers" than they think. Paulson's triptastic voyage montage scenes...epic. I wonder if Alice will become a feminist. It was interesting to see her journey and how she started to really question what she was fighting for. I was about to see their anti-ERA rally was nothing but White people, but I saw one little speckle of Black lol. But nothing like someone waving a confederate flag to make you look like a joke.

Also, I didn't like how the STOP ERA would go for the low-blow and malicious taglines. I liked how the ERA movement fought back with actual fact.

Again, all this shows is that Phyllis was a hypocrite and all the people that followed her were idiots. Like NOW said, she WAS the most liberated woman out there at the time. She was founding organizations, attending law school, doing press interviews, running for political office. She was no different than most of the feminist she was advocating against.

Anyway next week is the last episode of the series! Get ready for the unfortunate Regan era.

Phyllis is the epitome of "congratulations, you played yourself."

Her hypocrisy was the thing that stuck out to me most while I watched this series. How can someone who for all intents and purposes was acting like THE most liberated woman be actively working against her own interests. She was out here meeting with men at night and drinking scotches. Lobbying for legislation and mobilizing women who were previously uninvolved in politics. Not too long ago, they wouldn't have let her regressive ass GO to law school period.

The scene where she met with Reagan's people and the men were making awful jokes about shutting up their secretaries by dumping them in rivers and putting dicks in their mouths all while she was there really encapsulated everything about Phyllis. You still sitting act the kids table with zero respect from men.

The show did a very interesting job humanzing her while simultaneously showing what a damn hypocrite she was. She did all that stuff to never really make any of the real power strides she truly wanted.

alex1994

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
62,099 939 674
Alleybux
I watched the first three episodes but fell off with this show for some time. I’m currently watching the rest and my goodness, I can’t stand anti woman, women. Such dodos afraid of change. The gag is, they benefit from the change feminists at large want/have made but they have the audacity to turn their noses up to the cause.

Phyllis Schaffly was a wretched woman. May she rot for eternity.

BXCALI

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
44,042 352 259
Alleybux
Late reply, but yes her eldest son is gay. She actually used him as a prop when she lobbied against gay rights and gay marriage, he supported her. He lived at home all his life, honestly I think he just lived an oppressed life and didn't act on his desires. That's probably why his mama kept him in the house all those years, to keep an eye on him.

Edit: Didn't see you mentioned this in your last post. Yes, he is a very sad man, what a life.

What a horrible life! That poor man, I wonder what happen to him when his mother pass on?

He runs her organisation, the Eagle Forum. So, not much has changed lol.

Yes both he and the rest of his siblings have pretty much taking up the mantle their mother set forth. Looked them all up, they all still run her organization in some capacity, carrying on her tradition sadly.

This series was a wild ride and everyone, did a great job in there roles. It's sad that we are in the damn 21st Century still fighting for the same damn thing!

Schlafly is the epitome of a dangerous person, in every sense of the word. It's ok for her to want to be ambitious but any other woman should be ashamed! Like Bella said she's the biggest Feminist there is and all of you fell for her bull!

I wonder and worry whether or not there was a real life "Alice" and the fact the Phyllis encouraged that woman to stay with an obvious to everyone but her that he was clearly abusive. It is such a shame that SAHM like her ultimately didn't realize the Women's Movement did start to included them and they would have benefited the most.

It was a lot to take in.

Victoria Baker Harber

I'm not seasonal. I'm a fµck!ng timeless classic.
Reaction score
Reactions
70,608 2,255 110
Alleybux
Can we talk about Phyllis embarrassing her mother during that photoshoot? So cringe. I felt so bad for that old lady. The entire family looked uncomfortable. Does Phyllis respect any women in her life at all? How does she have such a strong network? She seems to put every single woman in her life down at some point. It’s mind boggling to me that friends and family stand with her.
I agree.

She looks down on her mother when her mother was the one who supported the family when the father lost his job/doesn't get the support from the government. It was telling her own husband had to say to her that her idea about what the government does to protect women is a myth.

Oooo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,246 1,696 617
Alleybux
I just binged this today and Chile Phyllis is a horrible person. As everyone else said, she was extremely liberated and was just pissed she could never get the type of power she wanted. Had she been a Congress woman or appointed to an administration, I doubt she would have been battling against her ERA.

Also all the concerns about abolition of alimony and child support were daft. The women where so concerned about the false sentiment of being left in the cold by the ERA, but they ended up left in the cold by their husbands any way.

Look a Betty Broderick! She was the SAHM and early on took on jobs to support her family while her husband was in school.

Dan Broderick didn’t need the ERA To screw over his wife. He did it with the law he knew well and the connections he had. The same women who were worried about the ERA stripping their support still ended up screwed as the 80s arrived. They were the women, who like Betty Broderick, married young in the 50/ & 60s and saw divorce smack them in the face as the 80s arrived. They had no skills to fall back on and the Husbands only wanted to move on with the new young piece of ass.

congrats they “killed” the ERA but still played themselves in the end. They still ended up divorced, broke with no skills and middle aged with no direction, while Phyllis’ pockets were fat and her life extra comfy.

And hypergamy won’t protect you from being assed out, a rich man is more vicious about divorces. He has way more connections and money to screw you over worse than a poor or middle class man. Look at what happened to Pilar Sanders.

phyllis didn’t give a damn about the ERA. She wanted fame, power, and prestige. The ERA was a means to an end. She got close to the summit but never reached the peak! GOOD!

She, Jerry Falwell, and Paul Weyrich helped birth the sh!tty direction the Republican Party has been going for 40 some odd years.

Bourgie Boho

Igbo girls dey maintain
Reaction score
Reactions
236,722 9,040 6,388
Alleybux
I just binged this today and Chile Phyllis is a horrible person. As everyone else said, she was extremely liberated and was just pissed she could never get the type of power she wanted. Had she been a Congress woman or appointed to an administration, I doubt she would have been battling against her ERA.

Also all the concerns about abolition of alimony and child support were daft. The women where so concerned about the false sentiment of being left in the cold by the ERA, but they ended up left in the cold by their husbands any way.

Look a Betty Broderick! She was the SAHM and early on took on jobs to support her family while her husband was in school.

Dan Broderick didn’t need the ERA To screw over his wife. He did it with the law he knew well and the connections he had. The same women who were worried about the ERA stripping their support still ended up screwed as the 80s arrived. They were the women, who like Betty Broderick, married young in the 50/ & 60s and saw divorce smack them in the face as the 80s arrived. They had no skills to fall back on and the Husbands only wanted to move on with the new young piece of ass.

congrats they “killed” the ERA but still played themselves in the end. They still ended up divorced, broke with no skills and middle aged with no direction, while Phyllis’ pockets were fat and her life extra comfy.

And hypergamy won’t protect you from being assed out, a rich man is more vicious about divorces. He has way more connections and money to screw you over worse than a poor or middle class man. Look at what happened to Pilar Sanders.

phyllis didn’t give a damn about the ERA. She wanted fame, power, and prestige. The ERA was a means to an end. She got close to the summit but never reached the peak! GOOD!

She, Jerry Falwell, and Paul Weyrich helped birth the sh!tty direction the Republican Party has been going for 40 some odd years.

You summed everything up perfectly. The ERA benefitted them,but hated what they thought feminism was and bulked at anything that associated with it. These women didn't understand that they're husband can up and leave, which some did and you can be passed out like you said.

Tidnotbnot

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,927 326 216
Alleybux

The white gays would have blackmailed his mother continuously. They showed a scene where this gay man came to drop off a wallet her son accidentally left at his place. At the time the gay man probably didnt know he was her son. That man in the episode said to Phyllis( she answered the door) " he's lucky that I'm not like other guys" (along those lines). Her son must sloppy. I mean his mom is one of the faces of anti-gay republican, he should have been more careful. The white gays love dragging people out of the closets with explicit exposes. Very descriptive exposes about how the xes went.:coffee::ROFLMAO::sick:

Tidnotbnot

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,927 326 216
Alleybux

The white gays would have blackmailed his mother continuously. They showed a scene where this gay man came to drop off a wallet her son accidentally left at his place. At the time the gay man probably didnt know he was her son.

That man in the episode said to Phyllis( she answered the door) " he's lucky that I'm not like other guys" (along those lines). Her son must be sloppy. I mean his mom is one of the faces of anti-gay republican, he should have been more careful.

The white gays love dragging people out of the closets with explicit exposes. Very descriptive exposes about how the xes went.:coffee::ROFLMAO::sick: