Quantcast

Game of Thrones reveals details from cancelled prequel

Mrs. Graham

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
193,370 15,015 8,775
Alleybux
As you most likely know, the first Game of Thrones prequel unofficially titled The Long Night by George R.R. Martin was very short-lived as it was cancelled last year after filming just the pilot episode. Since then, House of the Dragon was announced and casting for the Targaryen civil war adaptation is now underway.

But the curious tidbits about The Long Night (codenamed Bloodmoon) aren’t quite finished. Redanian Intelligence has found some casting information that could be of interest to those of you who wonder what might have been.

Naomi Watts’ character had a daughter
inCollage_20200720_143946181.jpg

You may have heard that young actress Amy McPherson has been cast as a character named Aurelia in the untitled prequel as she updated her IMDb pageherself. Redanian Intelligence has since learned that Aurelia is in fact the daughter of Naomi Watts’ character, who was announced as a series lead playing “a charismatic socialite with a dark secret”. Sadly; nothing else is known about either of them.

Children of the Forest

inCollage_20200720_151029580.jpg

As teased in the official synopsis of the prequel, the show would have explored the true origin of White Walkers, whatever that means. And where there are White Walkers, there are Children of the Forest. We have learned that at least three Children would have appeared in The Long Night.

First is the one we have seen already in the original Game of Thrones series and in two iterations, no less. Leaf was first played by Octavia Alexandru in Season 4 and later recast with Kae Alexander in Season 6. In The Long Night, Leaf would have been played by young actress Doyin Ajiboye and this time she would have been a series regular.

Two other Children we have learned about are called Cloud and Lake, played by Seyi Andes-Pelumi and Felicia Mukasa respectively.

The twins

gayers.jpg

Back when the show was in its casting period, there was a curious report from Recapped, a reliable leak and NSFW site. They reported that Bloodmoon was looking for twins, young caucasian women in their 20s, but only a week later HBO changed their minds and started looking for real triplets instead.

It appears that in the end they settled for twins. Enter Caera and Vera, played by Leah Gayer and Mhairi Gayerrespectively. You might recall us bringing up Caera from a Watchers on the Wall post way back. Turns out she was one of the twins.

We won’t begin to speculate who they are as it’s rather pointless now, but Caera does sound rather Valyrian with the “ae”.
A princess, an enclave boy and others
inCollage_20200721_022820905.jpg

As George R.R. Martin has said, Westeros around the time of the prequel had a hundred kingdoms, not even seven. And these kingdoms probably had kings, queens, princes and princesses. We don’t have the casting for the princess herself, but we know of a “Princess double”, played by a Gabriella Morales. One can only guess which kingdom the princess belongs to.

Another casting is of two characters named Ianthe and Reynard. Ianthe was played by Rosy McEwen, and Reynard by Sean Rigby. Sadly, that’s all we know about these two.

If you recall the set photos from a year ago captured by BloodmoonIrl, there was a mention of an “enclave” on one of the schedule sheets. Now this enclave is mentioned again. Zephan Hanson Amissah played an “Enclave boy” in the cancelled pilot.

In the same batch of photos there was mention of an “oubliette” which is a form of a dungeon. Ewan Bailey was cast as Dungeon keep. We’re assuming he is the keep of the same oubliette. For the Witcher fans out there, Ewan Bailey might be known as the man who lent his voice to the charismatic banker dwarf Vimme Vivaldi in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Old actors, new names

inCollage_20200721_020046405.jpg

Initially, about a dozen of actors were announced for Bloodmoon, but none of their character names were ever disclosed. Among the newly revealed cast from the initial announcement were Richard McCabe and Dixie Egerickx. They played characters named Robbenand Maiev respectively.

Later, two others were discovered, two Georginas at that: Georgina Campbelland Georgina Beedle. The former played a character named Sorcha, the latter played Flavia.

The undead

Lastly, here’s one more curious tidbit. HBO hired Alex Reynolds as a choreographer and movement director. One of her duties includes “movement design for undead“. So, as there would be White Walkers, there would be undead as well.

And that’s it for The Long Night. From now on, Fire and Blood will reign, and plenty of it.

The cancelled Game of Thrones prequel featured a character from the original show and other new tidbits

thephoenixslays

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
274,257 5,057 2,758
Alleybux
So why exactly did they put a stop to this prequel? Also, I would like for them to start at Aegon's Conquest and go from there.

LoveyDove

Black market Daily Defense Tender Apple reseller
Reaction score
Reactions
88,743 2,274 98
Alleybux
I would much rather have seen this one with the white walkers than a story about Targaryens. :cry: I wonder what made them decide to nix this version and go with the Targaryen show.

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,365 1,277 493
Alleybux
I would much rather have seen this one with the white walkers than a story about Targaryens. :cry: I wonder what made them decide to nix this version and go with the Targaryen show.

House Targaryen is that house, been that house and forever be that house :arrogant they know who the people want to see most especially since we know how it ends :eyeroll the Targaryens are popular still within the fandom besides the Targs have great drama and foolery for entertainment. On its own I don’t think the WW story is interesting enough to carry the show alone. It can be done in a few episodes across a season or two since we already know why they were made and their purpose
tumblr_n78d6zPRUr1tol2yko1_500.gif

mthrbrd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,625 2,510 536
Alleybux
Hmmm.... not sure how I feel about them casting all Black people as the children of the forest.

thephoenixslays

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
274,257 5,057 2,758
Alleybux
House Targaryen is that house, been that house and forever be that house :arrogant they know who the people want to see most especially since we know how it ends :eyeroll the Targaryens are popular still within the fandom besides the Targs have great drama and foolery for entertainment. On its own I don’t think the WW story is interesting enough to carry the show alone. It can be done in a few episodes across a season or two since we already know why they were made and their purpose
tumblr_n78d6zPRUr1tol2yko1_500.gif
I’m still pissed how House Targaryen ended up in the series like what was the point of having Dany or revealing Jon to be a Targaryen just to having that sh!t ending.

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,365 1,277 493
Alleybux
I’m still pissed how House Targaryen ended up in the series like what was the point of having Dany or revealing Jon to be a Targaryen just to having that sh!t ending.
Right! Even with Dany not getting the throne and dying, the way House Targaryen went out was utterly shameful. Hell, I would have been much more impressed and happy with the ending if:

a) Jon was playing the long game all along to be on the throne with the reveal of him being a Targaryen earlier particularly after his resurrection. The resurrection of Jon was a missed opportunity especially when Beric asked what he saw when he died later on and Jon said “nothing”. With the way this world is built on gods, magic, walking dead people, holy weapons and so forth he saw nothing...right :disdain I truly believe they messed up by making Jon a goody-goody character after his resurrection he should have been more gray and ambitious concerning his needs especially after being reborn. First half of the series should have been him living and dying like a Stark while the later half could have been him being reborn and re-emerging as a Targaryen but without the ties to the past like Dany. It still could have been a semi Stark/semi Targaryen ending where most people would be happy. (She D&D/GRRM it isn’t that hard : unamused:)

Or

B) Drogon killing Jon right then and there.

Nothing is going to convince me as to why Bran got the throne especially on the show.

Mrs. Graham

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
193,370 15,015 8,775
Alleybux
Right! Even with Dany not getting the throne and dying, the way House Targaryen went out was utterly shameful. Hell, I would have been much more impressed and happy with the ending if:

a) Jon was playing the long game all along to be on the throne with the reveal of him being a Targaryen earlier particularly after his resurrection. The resurrection of Jon was a missed opportunity especially when Beric asked what he saw when he died later on and Jon said “nothing”. With the way this world is built on gods, magic, walking dead people, holy weapons and so forth he saw nothing...right :disdain I truly believe they messed up by making Jon a goody-goody character after his resurrection he should have been more gray and ambitious concerning his needs especially after being reborn. First half of the series should have been him living and dying like a Stark while the later half could have been him being reborn and re-emerging as a Targaryen but without the ties to the past like Dany. It still could have been a semi Stark/semi Targaryen ending where most people would be happy. (She D&D/GRRM it isn’t that hard : unamused:)

Or

B) Drogon killing Jon right then and there.

Nothing is going to convince me as to why Bran got the throne especially on the show.

Jon should have gotten the throne...the whole damn concept of the book is fire and Ice and he’s literally the only fire and ice character!

VampiraDelaine

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,817 2,148 438
Alleybux
It doesn't surprise me this mess got cancelled. There's nothing compelling here. At least do a series about the Night's Queen, which really is the only way to resuscitate the white walkers and present them in a way that could excite viewers.