Quantcast

Game of Thrones Star Carice Van Houten Calls Fans 'Ungrateful' for Negative Response to Season 8

queenblair28

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,362 6,622 896
Alleybux
Carice-van-Houten.jpg

Carice van Houten of "Game of Thrones" fame is a bit unhappy with some of the show's fans.

The actress starred as Melisandre in the hit HBO drama, appearing in the show from its second season to its last -- which was panned by fans who claimed the show's end was unsatisfying.

"The fact that some people were so disappointed is because everything before that was so good," she explained.

In a recent interview with Insider, van Houten, 43, spoke about the negative reaction to the show's final episodes, claiming that the backlash was "a sign of how good the show was."

Van Houten said that high expectations led to the criticism and dislike for the final season, which she finds a tad unfair.

"So it feels a bit ungrateful," the actress said. "You've had such great times and then yeah, you're going to be disappointed because it's not going to go exactly how you anticipated."

The backlash toward the final season was so intense, fans wrote a petition demanding a rewrite of the season in its entirety.

"That's beyond fandom. That's extremism. That's scary," van Houten said. "Knowing the writers and knowing how f---ing great they are, they don't deserve that. I think they are probably cool enough to deal with that but still, they are human beings, they are trying to make a good product."

Unlike many fans, van Houten found herself satisfied with the show's ending.

"I loved my arc," she said. "I did get the turn of the character. At some point, her whole world starts falling apart, and that was my favorite moment. Up till then, it was fun to play someone who is so confident but it's not my forté.

"I enjoy playing people who are not sure of themselves. I have all sorts of flaws and neuroses and fears and doubts, I love that s--t," van Houten said.

Despite fans being unhappy, van Houten said the criticism was like water off her wings.

"People sometimes take it too far and get too personal, but I can't take that seriously," van Houten explained. "I just thought it's people being really emotional about this show. It just always amazes me how people can go behind their computer and just type 'die b--ch, die,' I'm fascinated by that human psyche."

Van Houten earned an Emmy nomination for her brief appearance in the eighth and final season of "Game of Thrones."

Reaction score
Reactions
10,326 238 7
Alleybux
They really still trying to gaslight us knowing full well we were served sh!t on a plate during that last season...the audacity.

Lil Pisces

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
276,478 7,843 514
Alleybux
I wanted to die with her character when I saw that ending
giphy.gif

Why can't they just admit that the finale was dog sh!t!!!!!

Last edited:

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,367 1,277 493
Alleybux
I am so sick and tired of these actors complaining about the fans reception of the last season. Look y’all fumble the bag towards the end, all this berating and down talking to fans like we are idiots and ungrateful isn’t a good look and frankly insulting. The show started off great and ended terribly...that’s all. Besides they weren’t fixing their lips to shun the fans when they were the highly anticipated, most watched and cult classic show when the praises were rolling in, you have to take the good with the bad

veraful

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,453 2 3
Alleybux
One thing I am grateful about the final sh!tty season is making me not missing the show... It's just like this show didn't even happen. It feels weird.

Last edited:

DisplacedVanity

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,466 1,828 1,320
Alleybux
b!tch we all saw that table read. Half the cast was WTF'ing too.

"I loved my arc," she said. "I did get the turn of the character. At some point, her whole world starts falling apart, and that was my favorite moment.

Sure, Jan.

The final season was so bad D&D couldn't even show their faces at conventions in the immediate aftermath, hid out with their families in what, Sweden? and lost their Star Wars gig. But sure, it was us ungrateful fans who were in the wrong. This is truly gaslighting at its finest.

Sorry Karen, oops I mean Carice, but when an overwhelming majority of an audience collectively agrees something was sh!t maybe they're onto something.

Lil Pisces

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
276,478 7,843 514
Alleybux

Sure, Jan.

The final season was so bad D&D couldn't even show their faces at conventions in the immediate aftermath, hid out with their families in what, Sweden? and lost their Star Wars gig. But sure, it was us ungrateful fans who were in the wrong. This is truly gaslighting at its finest.

Sorry Karen, oops I mean Carice, but when an overwhelming majority of an audience collectively agrees something was sh!t maybe they're onto something.
I will never forget the actor who plays Lord Varys' reaction to the script:
anigif_sub-buzz-14430-1559061155-7.gif

tumblr_ps7l6gHQ8u1vuztm4o1_250.gifv

tumblr_ps6rnoCNIJ1t8blma_540.gif

He threw it in disgust! What they did to his character was bµllsh!t! He's been outspoken on how sh!t it all was

Last edited:

nursev

Butterscotch Pimp
Reaction score
Reactions
87,403 984 1,276
Alleybux
The final season of GoT hurt my damn feelings it was so bad. Fans spent years watching this show because it was so good and fans deserved a better ending for these characters. Usually when fans love a show they can go back and rewatch episodes for years just cuz it makes them happy to do that, but not with GoT and that’s sad. I just went back to rewatch the very first episode when the Pandemic started and it didn’t feel the same. That’s very sad. They completely ruined that show.

Maxine

Diana Incarnate
Reaction score
Reactions
176,515 4,011 747
Alleybux
One thing I am grateful about the final sh!tty season is making me not missing the show... It's just like this show didn't even happen. It feels weird.

The final season of GoT hurt my damn feelings it was so bad. Fans spent years watching this show because it was so good and fans deserved a better ending for these characters. Usually when fans love a show they can go back and rewatch episodes for years just cuz it makes them happy to do that, but not with GoT and that’s sad. I just went back to rewatch the very first episode when the Pandemic started and it didn’t feel the same. That’s very sad. They completely ruined that show.

Y’all are right. I usually go back to watch episodes of my favorite shows but I can’t do it with Game of Thrones. I hate what D&D did to the show. It makes me sick.

Padme Selene

From the River to the Sea.
Reaction score
Reactions
86,674 1,401 445
Alleybux
No ma’am. They’re providing a product for our consumption. They write/produce/star in the show and we pay them for this service. People had issues w/the last season for several reasons before the show even started. People were hesitant from the jump w/ such a small number of episodes to wrap everything up. It was clear to all of us that d&d were done w/got and were simply fulfilling their final contractual obligations. The writing was rushed...and thus not of high quality. And there's no two ways about it. I see no problem with fans expressing that. Of course some ppl go overboard but in my own circles I haven’t seen anyone say anything that wasn’t true.

LaurieB

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,644 1,408 297
Alleybux
Carice of all people should have known fans weren't happy well before the last season, since her part of the story was dragged by many vocal fans from early on. The Dragonstone group were one of the most unique parts of the books and you could tell GRRM put a lot of time and effort into their psyches. D&D never ever understood anything about them and didn't even try. The actor who played Stannis said the writing never made sense to him. The fans who complained about this material were ignored or dismissed since people were still just here for Dany, Tyrion or Arya, but everything they said about D&D ended up being true.

The show started getting bad around season 4, season 5. It's just the people at the show were in a bubble until the end, when it got so terrible even the so-called 'normie' fans hit the roof.

I'm sorry if she feels bad about the reaction but at least the fans always only dragged D&D, not the actors. Some shows have psycho fans that go after everybody.

oumoub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,519 986 348
Alleybux
I wanted to die with her character when I saw that ending
giphy.gif

Why can't they just admit that the finale was dog-sh!t!!!!!
Jesus...don’t remind me how dark the lighting was in the last couple seasons were. Can you imagine if they had black characters? Whew! Talk about an invisibility cloak!

I had to watch the show in my room, in the dark, with black out curtains...under my blanket...in order to see what dark figures were moving around on my screen.

Such a big budget but no one could turn on the damn lights!!

oumoub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,519 986 348
Alleybux
I will never forget the actor who plays Lord Varys' reaction to the script:
anigif_sub-buzz-14430-1559061155-7.gif

tumblr_ps6rnoCNIJ1t8blma_540.gif

He threw it in disgust! What they did to his character was bµllsh!t! He's been outspoken on how sh!t it all was
Ooh what’s the story with the actor?
His character was robbed. Such a weak and unexplainable ending for his character. Gutter trash!

oumoub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,519 986 348
Alleybux

Sure, Jan.

Remember when D&D were producing that show “Confederate”? Lol The backlash was insane! Even whites didn’t want to watch a show with an alternate ending to the civil war!

Did they get dropped from Star Wars or did they “exit” their contract willing due to conflict of interest with Netflix (says Wikipedia)?

Johnny5

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,056 738 2,949
Alleybux
The showrunners for GoT are such trash that they were more involved with their Star Wars' planned trilogy smdh. They let Game of Thrones go to sh!t. Never have I ever seen a show fall so hard in its last season like GoT. This actress needs to take her frustrations out on them...not the fans imo.

ETeezey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,166 1,760 1,900
Alleybux
Melisandre was the WORST. She assaulted Gendry and burned Shireen. That old ho can kick rocks. Good writing would’ve had Davos cut her damn head off.

Having said that, fans are allowed to critique art. Once you put it out there for the masses, it isn’t yours anymore. It belongs to us. So if we say it’s sh!t, it’s sh!t. Season 5-7 were sh!t and season 8 was baby sh!t after they start eating solid food.

Last edited:

KurotoDan

DANgerousZombie
Reaction score
Reactions
22,237 741 214
Alleybux
Im so sick of Hollywood playing the fan entitlement card. YOU FUCKS MADE A BAD PRODUCT. If you don't want negative feedback then don't go through with stupid ideas or even double down on it.

This Marie Antoinette mentality will kill these people's income and careers. Faux wokeness and failing upwards be fµcked to oblivion

MoonMommy87

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,894 1,755 373
Alleybux
She needs to shut up. I'm still so upset at GOT, I cant even articulate my thoughts right now..

*Looks at my LSA username in disgust and hangs head in shame for ever being a fan*

Last edited:

Wondahful

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,239 93 20
Alleybux

This. I haven’t even been interested in a rewatch and I’ve just about rewatched all of the major HBO shows during this quarantine. I’m not sure why they don’t realize with a show like that fans are always watching to get to the end because it’s the GAME of thrones. It would have been better to have a mediocre season in the middle of the series than to have a terrible last season of the show.

Last edited:

DC100

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,590 607 637
Alleybux
I was just thinking about GOT yesterday and the fact that I have ZERO interest in rewatching cos of how bad the final season was. Such a shame.

BrieGotMid

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,472 872 1,288
Alleybux
Season 8 took GoT smooth outta my top 3 shows (after The Wire and Breaking Bad). It was that bad.

The onlyyyyyyyy thing I enjoyed about season 8 is the doll Arya Starks. What a fµck!ng story arch and a dope ass moment for her.

Other than that, they had so much great material to work with and they could've get it right:

-Danny and Jon's relationship, obviously

-The beef between Dannny and Saunsa. (Could you imagine and actual power struggle between those two??)

-Cersei's death was terrible for one of the greatest villains television has ever seen

-Davos never really got his revenge. Which was well passed deserved. I don't care of this b!tch helped save the world. It needed to happen just off GP, honestly

Like, I can keep going but I'm just gonna chill. I can poke holes thru their bµllsh!t all day. I hate that they ruined one of my favorite shows man.

DC100

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,590 607 637
Alleybux
Season 8 took GoT smooth outta my top 3 shows (after The Wire and Breaking Bad). It was that bad.

The onlyyyyyyyy thing I enjoyed about season 8 is the doll Arya Starks. What a fµck!ng story arch and a dope ass moment for her.

Other than that, they had so much great material to work with and they could've get it right:

-Danny and Jon's relationship, obviously

-The beef between Dannny and Saunsa. (Could you imagine and actual power struggle between those two??)

-Cersei's death was terrible for one of the greatest villains television has ever seen

-Davos never really got his revenge. Which was well passed deserved. I don't care of this b!tch helped save the world. It needed to happen just off GP, honestly

Like, I can keep going but I'm just gonna chill. I can poke holes thru their bµllsh!t all day. I hate that they ruined one of my favorite shows man.

Cersei going out like that was heartbreaking. I was hoping there was going to be another scene of her at the end, crawling her way out of the rubble, but nope! Out like Dorothy’s fat ass just fell on her head.

welpwelpwelp

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,075 288 66
Alleybux
F**k outta here Melisandre/Misguided you can go kick rocks!

They did almost ALL female characters wrong in the last season!

Hell overall the writing was pure garbage the hell is she talking about?

I'm still angry about this!

Madashelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,319 1,656 385
Alleybux
View attachment 1587156

Carice van Houten of "Game of Thrones" fame is a bit unhappy with some of the show's fans.

The actress starred as Melisandre in the hit HBO drama, appearing in the show from its second season to its last -- which was panned by fans who claimed the show's end was unsatisfying.

"The fact that some people were so disappointed is because everything before that was so good," she explained.

In a recent interview with Insider, van Houten, 43, spoke about the negative reaction to the show's final episodes, claiming that the backlash was "a sign of how good the show was."

Van Houten said that high expectations led to the criticism and dislike for the final season, which she finds a tad unfair.

"So it feels a bit ungrateful," the actress said. "You've had such great times and then yeah, you're going to be disappointed because it's not going to go exactly how you anticipated."

The backlash toward the final season was so intense, fans wrote a petition demanding a rewrite of the season in its entirety.

"That's beyond fandom. That's extremism. That's scary," van Houten said. "Knowing the writers and knowing how f---ing great they are, they don't deserve that. I think they are probably cool enough to deal with that but still, they are human beings, they are trying to make a good product."

Unlike many fans, van Houten found herself satisfied with the show's ending.

"I loved my arc," she said. "I did get the turn of the character. At some point, her whole world starts falling apart, and that was my favorite moment. Up till then, it was fun to play someone who is so confident but it's not my forté.

"I enjoy playing people who are not sure of themselves. I have all sorts of flaws and neuroses and fears and doubts, I love that s--t," van Houten said.

Despite fans being unhappy, van Houten said the criticism was like water off her wings.

"People sometimes take it too far and get too personal, but I can't take that seriously," van Houten explained. "I just thought it's people being really emotional about this show. It just always amazes me how people can go behind their computer and just type 'die b--ch, die,' I'm fascinated by that human psyche."

Van Houten earned an Emmy nomination for her brief appearance in the eighth and final season of "Game of Thrones."
Her character annoyed me.

letlive

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,863 1,382 487
Alleybux
I haven’t attempted to rewatch at all since the finale, it was just that bad. I’ve been able to rewatch Walking Dead several times even though GoT was way better.

Nachiya

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,458 54 46
Alleybux
She has to say that. The entertainment industry blacklists people who badmouth something they worked on.

The reason Dwayne The Rock Johnson works so consistently is because he works hard to hype up and promote even the bad movies he's in, staying positive even when they bomb. That's what the suits want.

An actor doesn't just act. An actor is a salesman too. Promotion is half the job or even more.