Quantcast

Girl is dragged for saying braids aren’t a good enough birthday style

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
Braids are not our cultural hair, our hair is Afro, not braids, especially if you’re adding weave . Braids are just a style we do. If she would’ve said a blow out or silk press I’d understand bc that is also our style but she said bundles of someone else’s hair, so I get why they are bashing her.
How are braids not cultural?

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
How are braids not cultural?
I said it’s not our cultural hair. Our hair is Afro, not braids. Braids is our hairstyle and the braids they’re talking about involve weave just like her bundles are also weave. So it doesn’t make sense for that specific person to bash her when both were talking about hairstyles that involve weave and not our natural hair texture.

Aems

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,081 3,911 1,715
Alleybux
I think she deleted her account bc they found that tweet of her calling someone burnt.

If she's the type to call someone burnt, then I see now why she feels the way she does about what type of hair is "acceptable" and what isn't. :disdain

AfroSoul

MJ IS THE GREATEST PERFORMER OF ALL TIME .THE GOAT
Reaction score
Reactions
52,398 2,857 8,181
Alleybux
Braids are not our cultural hair, our hair is Afro, not braids, especially if you’re adding weave . Braids are just a style we do. If she would’ve said a blow out or silk press I’d understand bc that is also our style but she said bundles of someone else’s hair, so I get why they are bashing her.
Braids is cultural , Afro is natural . Culture is created and nature is innate . The braids style has been created by the black african peoples , so yes braids is our culture .

Last edited:

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
Barids is cultural , Afro is natural . Culture is created and nature is innate . The braids style has been created by the black african peoples , so yes braids is our culture .
If that’s the case, One could say sew ins are also our cultural hair as well then.

AfroSoul

Reaction score
Reactions
52,398 2,857 8,181
Alleybux
If that’s the case, One could say sew ins are also our cultural hair as well then.
Yes it has become a cultural thing in the black community , but a bad cultural habit since rooted in racism and self-hatred while braids are rooted in our ancestral kingdoms way of life when we were free .

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
Yes it has become a cultural thing in the black community , but a bad cultural habit since rooted in racism and self-hatred while braids are rooted in our ancestral kingdoms way of life when we were free .
Blow outs and water wave weave for twists/braids prep is not our natural hair texture either. That has nothing to do with “ancestral kingdoms”. Both styles involve weave and if both are “cultural hair” that involve weave, that defeats his point, that was my point.

TongueInCheek

Dirty Mouth?
Reaction score
Reactions
20,863 615 308
Alleybux
Blow outs and water wave weave for twists/braids prep is not our natural hair texture either. That has nothing to do with “ancestral kingdoms”. Both styles involve weave and if both are “cultural hair” that involve weave, that defeats his point, that was my point.
What? Blowouts and weave (also you probably mean extensions, not “weave”) aren’t necessary for braids or twists.

AfroSoul

Reaction score
Reactions
52,398 2,857 8,181
Alleybux
Since when do we need weaves or wigs for twists and braids ?
Also ancient african Kigdoms like ancient Egypte used wigs for braids and twists .Wigs and weaves is not the issue per se , it's the texture used . If the weaves and wigs are used to emulate our natural texture ( 4C ) or traditional haistyle like braids and twists , there is no problem . It's when they emulate white women texture that it becomes problematic .

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
Since when do we need weaves or wigs for twists and braids ?
Also ancient african Kigdoms like ancient Egypte used wigs for braids and twists .Wigs and weaves is not the issue per se , it's the texture used . If the weaves and wigs are used to emulate our natural texture ( 4C ) or traditional haistyle like braids and twists , there is no problem . It's when they emulate white women texture that it becomes problematic .
Since when do women who get their braids done professionally like he’s suggesting not use weave in the style?

An: You lost your point a long time ago when you agreed that sew ins are “cultural hair” as well. That was basically the end and the rest is pointless.

Helwa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,681 1,837 1,457
Alleybux
I didn't realize wearing braids was an issue for birthdays. I wore Marley twist for my birthday last year without a 2nd.

Braids are stylish and low maintenance. It's a get up and go hair

DinkDink1234

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,131 142 70
Alleybux
I'm the new girl in our unit. They have been passive aggressive and have tried Mean Girl antics on me. Ever since I arrived, this clique has been sh!tty to me. I reported them to HR and they will look into it Monday morning. I wrote everything down in an email.

There are some people who act like loc wearers are primitive and dirty. It's such a stupid stereotype. I wash my hair nearly every week because of the climate I'm in and because I exercise a lot. I baby my hair more since its locced.
As a perceived mean girl , the best way to deal with real mean girls, who are usually corny and jealous, is to SHUN them. Silence is mean. Like literally do a slight giggle and walk away. Don't talk to them avoid eye contact and all conversations. Idc what it is, ignore them. Let someone else approach you and ask why you don't talk to them and say "idk, they make so uncomfortable." And walk away from them too. Keep it lite. Especially if you know you're in regs.

Gene Mercury

They painting me out to be the bad guy
Reaction score
Reactions
4,493 364 799
Alleybux
It always it something serious or indicative of self hatred. Her and hundreds of other black girls in the comments saying they only feel attractive with bundles in their hair. Black hairstyles like braids or their natural hair aren’t good enough for special events like their birthday. It’s really sad to see. Plus the tweeter was exposed for being colorist. Your preference in hair is rooted in white supremacy just like preference in skin tone. I don’t have a problem with not liking braids, but the reasoning behind it is so sad and pathetic to see.

Black women will “Amen” in agreeance if you say black men preferring lighter women is colorist rooted in internalized self hatred but will drag you for dear life if you even imply that wearing foreign weaves is a form of internalized self hatred. Whether “assimilation” or not it’s still rooted in self hate. We have Madam CJ walker to thank for that, we was so busy applauding her being a millionaire we overlooked her making us conform to white beauty standards in the process.
& lets not get me started on the blonde weave argument cus bw will also argue to death about the black people in the Fiji islands having blonde hair knowing damn well that’s not who they was inspired /exposed to on a mass scale . They scapegoat the people of the Fiji islands. Groan me idc it’s true.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,879 360 168
Alleybux
Braids is cultural tho.............

DanniS_

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,160 1,544 216
Alleybux
Always the most ghetto people talking about what is and isn't classy

My plan for my birthday this year is to get Senegalese Twists and buy this outfit from Sincerely Ria

ad0c7306f1970a02cef52107f818b89b.png
Mariama snapped w her line. So proud of her. You'll look amazing w your twist and beautiful gown

Reaction score
Reactions
2,879 360 168
Alleybux
I said it’s not our cultural hair. Our hair is Afro, not braids. Braids is our hairstyle and the braids they’re talking about involve weave just like her bundles are also weave. So it doesn’t make sense for that specific person to bash her when both were talking about hairstyles that involve weave and not our natural hair texture.
Braids are not just a hairstyle; this craft is a form of art. .
Braids are cultural hair