Give Kim Fields Her Flowers!

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
I did not enjoy Kim at all when she joined the RHOA. However, I adore her otherwise. She, Chip, and Lex are black Hollywood royalty (in my eyes).
LOL! I'm sure she felt the same about herself. That's why she took her check for the season, paid the IRS, and never returned. Her talent and fame is above that ratchet mess.

Last edited:

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
Yall sensitive asses would have never survived the black sitcoms from the 70s, they said whatever they wanted. If you think thats bad imagine a white man using slurs against every ethnic group of people, yall clearly couldn't handle archie bunker. The upshaws is good to me, i watched the whole series and looking forward to season 2.
ALL IN THE FAMILY was fine. The issue was that Archie was considered a bigot, but he was an ol', grumpy, and opinionated man who didn't like anybody. Was he gratuitously throwing out the N-word? I don't recall. He said some questionable stuff, but I don't recall him saying the N-word so cavalierly. To use certain words, it has to make sense within the storyline and have a need for it. Just like I don't agree with gratuitous nudity. It has to make sense for the storyline and there must be an actual need for it NOT a director's sick attempt to get a peek.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Yall sensitive asses would have never survived the black sitcoms from the 70s, they said whatever they wanted. If you think thats bad imagine a white man using slurs against every ethnic group of people, yall clearly couldn't handle archie bunker. The upshaws is good to me, i watched the whole series and looking forward to season 2.
Excuse me but the difference is that OTHER ethnic slurs are NOT in music and TV/movies the way the N word is these days.

Remember how Michael Jackson was involved in controversy for using a Jewish slur and they forced him to remove it? When is the last time a record label forced someone to remove the N word

Please don't play this game as if it's the same as it was back then.

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux

Poor example. I understand the use of the N-word here. She was teaching a valuable lesson here. It's not the same as when brothas on the street gratuitously say "what's up my N------" after hundreds of black folks have died over those words at the hands of white people. I think you're missing the argument trying to be made in this thread.

Miza

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
328,262 13,229 3,429
Alleybux
Poor example. I understand the use of the N-word here. She was teaching a valuable lesson here. It's not the same as when brothas on the street gratuitously say "what's up my N------" after hundreds of black folks have died over those words at the hands of white people. I think you're missing the argument trying to be made in this thread.
There was also another episode where she used the n word out of anger but, as I mentioned it was used on the Jeffersons and Sanford and Son between black people. You're not familiar with tv shows from the 70s.

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
There was also another episode where she used the n word out of anger but, as I mentioned it was used on the Jeffersons and Sanford and Son between black people. You're not familiar with tv shows from the 70s.

On the contrary, I'm very familiar with these TV shows. Again, I said "gratuitous." The use of the word has to make sense. I get what Fred Sanford was trying to do here.

Miza

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
328,262 13,229 3,429
Alleybux
On the contrary, I'm very familiar with these TV shows. Again, I said "gratuitous." The use of the word has to make sense. I get what Fred Sanford was trying to do here.
That was only one example of when it was used. I don't understand how if offends you on Netflix but not the Jeffersons or Sanford and Son or when James used the word spook to describe black people.

msdeelite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
209,421 6,106 3,326
Alleybux
ALL IN THE FAMILY was fine. The issue was that Archie was considered a bigot, but he was an ol', grumpy, and opinionated man who didn't like anybody. Was he gratuitously throwing out the N-word? I don't recall. He said some questionable stuff, but I don't recall him saying the N-word so cavalierly. To use certain words, it has to make sense within the storyline and have a need for it. Just like I don't agree with gratuitous nudity. It has to make sense for the storyline and there must be an actual need for it NOT a director's sick attempt to get a peek.
How did it not make sense, did you see where he was and the people he was with?

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
How did it not make sense, did you see where he was and the people he was with?
Who is the "he" you were referring to? If you're talking about Mike Epps, like I said before, I need to watch THE UPSHAWS and commented based on what another font said.

csu13

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,775 358 655
Alleybux
One of the most underrated and versatile actresses in Hollywood. Her career spans 4 decades but, she has never gotten the credit she deserves. She's a legendary child actress who transitioned from child star to adulthood flawlessly.
She has slayed every role she played...from Kim on Good Times to Tootie on Facts of Life to Regine Hunter on Living Single and now Regina Upshaw on The Upshaws. Kim is a legend, and she deserves all the kudos they lavish on people like the Olsen twins, and others.
an
kf5.JPG

gty_kim_fields_tootie_wy_131127_16x9_992.jpg

tumblr_pijz6k3BlT1vt10pl_1280.jpg

kim-fields-khali-spraggins-UPSHAWS_107_Unit_00972RC-2.jpg
She's also an excellent director
She and her mama directed several episode of Tyler Perry's tv shows. She's also about to direct that new male strip club drama.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
That was only one example of when it was used. I don't understand how if offends you on Netflix but not the Jeffersons or Sanford and Son or when James used the word spook to describe black people.
I mean damn people in the 70s used rotary phones does that mean we need to do that just because that's how it was "back in the day"??

Miza

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
328,262 13,229 3,429
Alleybux
I mean damn people in the 70s used rotary phones does that mean we need to do that just because that's how it was "back in the day"??
No, but I won’t knock them if they did. I don’t use the n word but I’m not writing off the show because Epps used it.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
No, but I won’t knock them if they did. I don’t use the n word but I’m not writing off the show because Epps used it.
Well I think it would be different if we heard the ethnic slurs of other racial groups just as much as the N word but we don't. I hate that it has been put in so much of music and TV shows/movies. It's not like using the word makes the show funny (because it doesn't). It's lazy and disrespectful to ancestors who died hearing that word while being shot or lynched.

Ocean Mama

Your Favorite Plot Twist
Reaction score
Reactions
84,690 3,602 2,670
Alleybux
One of the most underrated and versatile actresses in Hollywood. Her career spans 4 decades but, she has never gotten the credit she deserves. She's a legendary child actress who transitioned from child star to adulthood flawlessly.
She has slayed every role she played...from Kim on Good Times to Tootie on Facts of Life to Regine Hunter on Living Single and now Regina Upshaw on The Upshaws. Kim is a legend, and she deserves all the kudos they lavish on people like the Olsen twins, and others.
an
kf5.JPG

gty_kim_fields_tootie_wy_131127_16x9_992.jpg

tumblr_pijz6k3BlT1vt10pl_1280.jpg

kim-fields-khali-spraggins-UPSHAWS_107_Unit_00972RC-2.jpg
Yes to all of this!

Watching her now on "Watch What Happens Live". She's radiant!

Still trying to wrap my mind around all that hair, but her smile, skin, intellect: OMG!

I love her resting b!tch face. Then she turns on like a lightbulb when it's time to smile. What a veteran!

Didn't know she's close with Janet Jackson. They literally look like they could be sisters!

Remember Kim's love song to Michael Jackson (awwww!)...? :)

Queen Kim!

Ocean Mama

Your Favorite Plot Twist
Reaction score
Reactions
84,690 3,602 2,670
Alleybux
I love her, but I don't like the Upshaws. I don't really like the new comedic based shows that are out today.
She's singing praises on how excited she is to return to an old school multi camera live audience sitcom format (at Sunset Gower where final seasons of "Facts Of Life" took place).

I see a Netflix bill every month, so I'm willing to check it out.

yourgayuncle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,227 1,207 1,064
Alleybux
Mortifying!!!!!!!!!!!! What? How did we go from clean family comedy to now gratuitous use of the N-word? Why would Kim co-sign on this? On another note, I can't stand Mike Epps.

Not a Mike Epps fan either, he does a good job in this but wish they had cast someone else in this role.

I gave the show a few episodes before passing judgement on it. I don't care for this kind of comedy show formula and it felt stale at first, but after a few episodes I let go of that judgement and just let myself enjoy it. There were some legitimately funny lines and around the 4th episode it started to click for me.

I think they wanted the dialogue in the show to be more realistic (according to them) than what you would hear on a network show. Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps have exec producer credits so this is what they want to put out there. They both are from stand up and I think that's why they wanted the show to be a little more edgy.

yourgayuncle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,227 1,207 1,064
Alleybux
Well I think it would be different if we heard the ethnic slurs of other racial groups just as much as the N word but we don't. I hate that it has been put in so much of music and TV shows/movies. It's not like using the word makes the show funny (because it doesn't). It's lazy and disrespectful to ancestors who died hearing that word while being shot or lynched.

Does this mean you haven't listened to or purchased any music that uses the Nword? Cause if you have I see no reason why you are having a problem with this tv show. It's not on a network being broadcast to anyone with a tv set, you MUST seek it out in order to watch it.

The music that has been popular for about, what, 30 years that has blasted the Nword all over the world is way more damaging than any tv show or movie for that matter because it's everywhere all over the radio. Even when they bleep out the word over the air waves you still know what is being said. For all of you complaining about this show I hope you've never spent one moment or any of your money listening to any artist that uses the Nword in their music.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Does this mean you haven't listened to or purchased any music that uses the Nword? Cause if you have I see no reason why you are having a problem with this tv show. It's not on a network being broadcast to anyone with a tv set, you MUST seek it out in order to watch it.

The music that has been popular for about, what, 30 years that has blasted the Nword all over the world is way more damaging than any tv show or movie for that matter because it's everywhere all over the radio. Even when they bleep out the word over the air waves you still know what is being said. For all of you complaining about this show I hope you've never spent one moment or any of your money listening to any artist that uses the Nword in their music.
Imagine if people would have said "But lynching has been going on for years and that's just how it is. You're still alive. Why complain?"

I cannot believe on a black site people are arguing about the N word not being a big deal.

Another sign the demographics on this site have changed.

yourgayuncle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,227 1,207 1,064
Alleybux
Imagine if people would have said "But lynching has been going on for years and that's just how it is. You're still alive. Why complain?"

I cannot believe on a black site people are arguing about the N word not being a big deal.

Another sign the demographics on this site have changed.

Where did I say that the Nword is not a big deal?

Do you have a problem reading? I said that the music that comes out from Rap, Hip Hop is a far greater offender of using the Nword than that tv show is. I said we have had about 30 years of Rap and Hip Hop using the Nword in songs, blasted all over the world. Unless those who are having a problem with The Upshaws boycotted the artists and their music that frequently used the Nword then they need to shut up about the use in that tv show.

Music is what made using the Nword popular in the first place, that is where all this started. So if you've never protested our music using the Nword then why are you bumping your gums now?

THAT is my point.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Where did I say that the Nword is not a big deal?

Do you have a problem reading? I said that the music that comes out from Rap, Hip Hop is a far greater offender of using the Nword than that tv show is. I said we have had about 30 years of Rap and Hip Hop using the Nword in songs, blasted all over the world. Unless those who are having a problem with The Upshaws boycotted the artists and their music that frequently used the Nword then they need to shut up about the use in that tv show.

Music is what made using the Nword popular in the first place, that is where all this started. So if you've never protested our music using the Nword then why are you bumping your gums now?

THAT is my point.
Aren't YOU the one that said those Norman Lear shows used the N word frequently? Rap music came AFTER those shows and didn't use the N word until gangster rap came about but gangster rap was NOT initially played on the radio or MTV. Because of FCC rules about radio they STILL bleep out the N word in songs but on streaming services they allow the N word to be said.

YOU said it had been going on for 30 years and that was very dismissive. Who cares that it's been 30 years? Who cares if it came from music or TV shows first (even though it was TV).? The larger point is that it is TIRING to hear that word and Kim Fields and Mike Epps didn't have to include this word in their show. It hasn't made the show funny.

Do you work for this TV show or something? Why are you getting so defensive at the idea that people don't like hearing this on a comedy show? Why are you assuming that this is the only thing we're outraged about? What makes you think some of us haven't stopped listening to certain music because of this very issue?

Things have really changed on LSA when you have to argue with someone about the N word being used and their only defense to you is "But what about the music the past 30 years?" DUH. It's BEEN problematic!

Ntsap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
199,939 5,633 2,257
Alleybux
RHOA nutjobs hate her. Smh she’s a great actress and she is underrated.
Those weirdos really do lol. They all mad and the cast that Kim only came on that show for a quick check to pay her back taxes and dipped. She acts nothing like she did on RHOA. Meanwhile since then she’s had multiple Lifetime movies, directing gigs, and now a leading role on a Netflix show.

yourgayuncle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,227 1,207 1,064
Alleybux
Aren't YOU the one that said those Norman Lear shows used the N word frequently? Rap music came AFTER those shows and didn't use the N word until gangster rap came about but gangster rap was NOT initially played on the radio or MTV. Because of FCC rules about radio they STILL bleep out the N word in songs but on streaming services they allow the N word to be said.

YOU said it had been going on for 30 years and that was very dismissive. Who cares that it's been 30 years? Who cares if it came from music or TV shows first (even though it was TV).? The larger point is that it is TIRING to hear that word and Kim Fields and Mike Epps didn't have to include this word in their show. It hasn't made the show funny.

Do you work for this TV show or something? Why are you getting so defensive at the idea that people don't like hearing this on a comedy show? Why are you assuming that this is the only thing we're outraged about? What makes you think some of us haven't stopped listening to certain music because of this very issue?

Things have really changed on LSA when you have to argue with someone about the N word being used and their only defense to you is "But what about the music the past 30 years?" DUH. It's BEEN problematic!

I just don't see the point in giving one tv show so much heat about the Nword when no one has made any noise about using the word in rap music which blasted it in popular culture. You admit it's been problematic in music, so what was your response? Still listened to the music and supported those artists anyway?

And if the past 30 years of the Nwords used in music doesn't matter, then you are saying the past and it's effects on the present doesn't matter.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
No I was not the one who said anything about Norman Lear shows.
Apparently, Sanford & Son was listed as having Norman Lear as "uncredited" as a producer of the show but his imprint is all over the show. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only time I saw them use the N-word was in that clip in the courtroom that is on Youtube. The reruns of the show that I've seen on TV don't include anything with slurs. I wonder if this means that certain episodes were scrubbed or if it means that the word simply wasn't used as much as people thought it was.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,483 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
I just don't see the point in giving one tv show so much heat about the Nword when no one has made any noise about using the word in rap music which blasted it in popular culture. You admit it's been problematic in music, so what was your response? Still listened to the music and supported those artists anyway?

And if the past 30 years of the Nwords used in music doesn't matter, then you are saying the past and it's effects on the present doesn't matter.
I never said the past 30 years doesn't matter. But I find it highly problematic that there was an entire generation of black people who DID oppose the use of this word in music and whatnot but the white/Jewish decision-makers in the industry were the ones who decided to keep having it pushed to the forefront.

This is more than just "one TV show". I'm just tired of the word being used so much when no other ethnic group has slurs used against them. Even Hispanic rappers don't call themselves W----k or S---c they call themselves the N word and would get heated if a black person called them those slurs. I'm just tired of it. Just because it has been happening for 30 years doesn't mean it's okay to accept today.

diditonthem

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
410,566 14,821 5,727
Alleybux
I was wondering how that NETFLIX show was doing. What's the issue? I concur about most sitcoms out today. I don't know if the writers are bad or if the writers' room lacks diversity. Either way, I miss the hey days of when Asaad Kelada and Norman Lear had a great team to entertain us.

Norman stole from a black man

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
Norman stole from a black man
I assume you're referring to Monte. Look, Lear is Jewish just like the rest of the Hollywood gatekeepers and sports owners. It's par for the course. That's what they do. They make money off of black talent and off of black bodies. Honestly,THE JEFFERSONS and GOOD TIMES would have never made it on air without Jewish assistance given the racial climate back then and how deals were made.

diditonthem

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
410,566 14,821 5,727
Alleybux
I assume you're referring to Monte. Look, Lear is Jewish just like the rest of the Hollywood gatekeepers and sports owners. It's par for the course. That's what they do. They make money off of black talent and off of black bodies. Honestly,THE JEFFERSONS and GOOD TIMES would have never made it on air without Jewish assistance given the racial climate back then and how deals were made.

So you're justifying his theft. Interesting....

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,933 8,538 5,079
Alleybux
So you're justifying his theft. Interesting....
Nope. Don't put words in my mouth. What I'm saying is Monte's work would have never seen the light of day, period, because considering the time, black folks were not dominant in the writers' room or exec positions. So unfortunately, I almost expect some of what he's saying because a black man wouldn't have been in Lear's position as an EP/showrunner. So either Monte was going to get NO CHECK AT ALL vs. getting a check but having to deal with the rigmarole of working with Jewish gatekeepers. The 60's and 70's were a different time. Nowadays, you can sue and win for being outspoken and principled. Look, Mo'Nique just collected a huge check from NETFLIX for calling them out. Notice she's now silent.

Last edited:

HeidiH

only here on the weekends
Reaction score
Reactions
578 25 26
Alleybux
Kerry Washington giving Kim her flowers last year after Live In Front Of A Studio Audience

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom