Quantcast

GRRM says he considered making the Targaryens Black

The Red Woman

President of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
109,216 7,409 6,519
Alleybux
I don't know if this has ever been brought up or discussed here, but I found a very interesting quote from grrm pretty much saying that he considered making the targaryens black. He mentioned he only thought about it in more recent years and It that it would've been a nice twist, but I still found it intriguing.

[R]ight from the start I wanted the Targaryens, and by extension the Valryians from whom they were descended, to be a race apart, with distinctive features that set them apart from the rest of Westeros, and helped explain their obsession with the purity of their blood. To do this, I made a conventional ‘high fantasy’ choice, and gave them silver-gold hair, purple and violet eyes, fine chiseled aristocratic features. That worked well enough, at least in the books (on the show, less so).

But in recent years, it has occurred to me from time to time that it might have made for an interesting twist if instead I had made the dragonlords of Valyria… and therefore the Targaryens… black. Maybe I could have kept the silver hair too, though… no, that comes too close to ‘dark elf’ territory, but still… if I’d had dark-skinned dragonlords invade and conquer and dominate a largely white Westeros… though that choice would have brought its own perils. The Targaryens have not all been heroic, after all… some of them have been monsters, madmen, so…

Well, it’s all moot. The idea came to me about twenty years too late.

Now, I'm not really a fan of daenerys or the targaryens however, I always thought It would've been more interesting if daenerys had been a black woman, (although that has it's pros and cons) so it's interesting that grrm even considered it at all at one point. It definitely would of counteracted the whole "there are no black people on game of thrones" thing and the "white savior trope".

I don't think the story would of changed at all, but no doubt this would of been very controversial. A white male author writing a black female main character? And considering the messed up things both her character/family does (including incest) and she goes through, it seems better this way. I'm sure most would also prefer her to be as she is on the show, especially seeing how it all ended, but anyways what do you guys think of this? I mean could you imagine dany and the targaryens being black?

tumblr_npkf3w69jX1s7mbxno1_500.jpg

6b35746d7f8405b11dff621e6e5e3fc6.jpg

c5b55d0f302db144ca9eb1c94839f1ec.jpg

cedecdcbba12a0ee9b6783e1a51ff7a2.jpg

Wow very cool idea definitely would of been controversial. They would of been even more beautiful though if they were that's for sure.

nyane_2_galore_mag.jpg

565ec984c1a99235918b3979f70f5788.jpg

So they'd all have bone straight hair and/or light skin?

Melb4life

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,845 92 36
Alleybux
So they'd all have bone straight hair and/or light skin?

Ummm the women I posted in my op are not all light skin, there is a darkskin and brownskin woman there so idk where you got that from but ok And I clearly put other hairstyles including braids and locs as just ideas and examples I never said they had to look like that.

The Red Woman

President of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
109,216 7,409 6,519
Alleybux
Ummm the women I posted in my op are not all light skin, there is a darkskin and brownskin woman there so idk where you got that from but ok And I clearly put other hairstyles including braids and locs as just ideas and examples I never said they had to look like that.
They're either light or have bone straight hair

SeekSolitude

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,659 5,288 2,697
Alleybux
I agree. It would’ve been horribly done.

No matter how beautiful they would’ve looked with white hair, I’m giving two thumbs down to a family of black ppl engaging in incest.

Yooo…I just started watching GOT and that scene of the brother and sister fµck!ng almost took me out. Not only was it disgusting but he was breaking her off and she was taking it…:sick:
I was legit traumatized. And then pushing the child off the ledge.

Black people haven’t achieved humanity in the eyes of non Blacks yet so yeah….this would not work. Also don’t know why Black people want to be involved in this sh!t. This is white nastiness at its finest.

RoijaRhaa

Rosando XV Rhaasan of Moluu
Reaction score
Reactions
11,945 2,067 303
Alleybux
Yooo…I just started watching GOT and that scene of the brother and sister fµck!ng almost took me out. Not only was it disgusting but he was breaking her off and she was taking it:sick:
I was legit traumatized. And then pushing the child off the ledge.

Black people haven’t achieved humanity in the eyes of non Blacks yet so yeah….this would not work. Also don’t know why Black people want to be involved in this sh!t. This is white nastiness at its finest.
They were Cersei and Jaime Lannister, they're not Targaryens.

RoijaRhaa

Rosando XV Rhaasan of Moluu
Reaction score
Reactions
11,945 2,067 303
Alleybux
I’m sorry. I’m totally unfamiliar with all this. Really was just trying to Netflix and chill and see what the hype was about. Don’t think I’ll even be finishing the series.
I understand, I had to take breaks and some relationships made uncomfortable, too.