Quantcast

Hair type?

josie831

KK Slider
Reaction score
Reactions
2,390 15 2
Alleybux
So I am currently trying to transition and help my curls due to giving myself heat damage one day because I didn’t deep condition before flat ironing and I was in a rush eeksad

but I am genuinely confused about the hair type as in (type 2 3 and 4) and density. I’m not sure if I’m wrong but I think I have a mixture of fine and thick strands? I definitely have high density.

does color/heat damage make the strands larger/thicker?

also I was wondering if I have type 3 hair and type 4 hair cause around my perimeter is pretty tight while the front/back half is loose. I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and with my thick hair it can be so hard to manage. I tried to do a sew in to give my hair a rest and within a week I had so many flakes and patches and my scalp was literally burning because of how tight the braids were so I really wanna go natural to be able to wash and just go!

If you guys have any tips for my scalp condition as well as transitioning I’d appreciate it! I have done about two big chops because when I bleached my hair I went all the way to the root(focusing on the front) and my hair was 15 inches. Each haircut I did about 4 inches so I still have a few inches of bleached hair left especially on my top half. The oil treatment my dermatologist gave me led to balding and hair loss and I had to stop using it because my hairline was receding. I now try to control my condition with my shampoo and peppermint oil mixed with castor oil. The shampoo my dermatologist gives is never enough because I have so much hair I have to use half of the bottle for each shampoo day.

picture after big chop and deep condition(the back half):
4884ED63-277A-497E-9B98-F70336F2A21B.jpeg

here’s after heat damage:
1BEC5E18-18FA-4EAE-BC23-DE11630E8FC4.jpeg

Here are my strands:

0062651A-5555-488B-B82C-24580DED832B.jpeg

Attachments

• 9ECDD1DC-32BF-4E27-A0ED-218FF0863889.jpeg
    9ECDD1DC-32BF-4E27-A0ED-218FF0863889.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 31

SugarBeeHair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,644 28 11
Alleybux
3b/3c imo, you’ll need to let your hair grow out a few more ringlets before fully determining though, length weights down a curl pattern.

josie831

KK Slider
Reaction score
Reactions
2,390 15 2
Alleybux
Looks 3b to me. However porosity is far more important.

I just did the porosity test and I’m low porosity! When I was natural and wore my hair curly for a few years I always had to use water leave in oil and gel or my hair would not be moisturized. If I don’t use gel or oil it’ll feel so brittle and dry.

The best products for me were the devacurl and ouidad products but I found out devacurl causes relaxed hair and damages your hair so I threw alllllll my deva products out :cry:

M A R S

Free The Robots
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
7,357 59 18
Alleybux
I wouldn't focus too much on all of that hair type mess.
As stated previously porosity matters way more. Also if you try to find your porosity do not use that water cup method.. it doesn't work.
Try this quiz: curly hair Porosity Test
For your strands in my opinion they're thick but in the long run I don't think strand thickness matters.
For your scalp/seborrheic dermatitis I'd suggest a few things:
-Pre poo on dry hair overnight before shampooing to protect your hair. Use coconut oil, babassu oil or uccuuba butter.
-Once or twice a week use DHS Sal shampoo or some other salicylic product on your scalp
-If your scalp is still flaky, red and inflamed use hydrocortisone cream. If that doesn't work use tinactin anti fungal on your scalp. You can use both the hydrocortisone and tinactin on your scalp.
-If salicylic acid doesn't work use an anti fungal shampoo like Zinc Pyrithione or Ketocanzole. I believe your body can work up a tolerance to Ketocanzole so I'd be wary of it.
If you have any more questions feel free to let me know. I'm always happy to help!

josie831

KK Slider
Reaction score
Reactions
2,390 15 2
Alleybux
I wouldn't focus too much on all of that hair type mess.
As stated previously porosity matters way more. Also if you try to find your porosity do not use that water cup method.. it doesn't work.
Try this quiz: curly hair Porosity Test
For your strands in my opinion they're thick but in the long run I don't think strand thickness matters.
For your scalp/seborrheic dermatitis I'd suggest a few things:
-Pre poo on dry hair overnight before shampooing to protect your hair. Use coconut oil, babassu oil or uccuuba butter.
-Once or twice a week use DHS Sal shampoo or some other salicylic product on your scalp
-If your scalp is still flaky, red and inflamed use hydrocortisone cream. If that doesn't work use tinactin anti fungal on your scalp. You can use both the hydrocortisone and tinactin on your scalp.
-If salicylic acid doesn't work use an anti fungal shampoo like Zinc Pyrithione or Ketocanzole. I believe your body can work up a tolerance to Ketocanzole so I'd be wary of it.
If you have any more questions feel free to let me know. I'm always happy to help!

Thank you so much!! I pre poo before shampooing always now and I apply the oil then I use a fine tooth comb to scratch the flakes off I found that this works the best I know it’s probably bad and not directed by doctors but I’ve been dealing with this condition since I was 4 and it’s so painful sometimes and embarrassing.

I use my prescribed shampoo but since I ran out I use the t gel shampoo/conditioner from neutrogena and let it sit on my head for 10 minutes. I noticed the neutrogena shampoo keeps flakes away longer than the prescribed shampoo. The shampoo my doctor gave me will keep flakes away for maybe 3 days and then I’ll start flaking and itching.

nyahsky

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
8 2 1
Alleybux
I think you are 3b....I struggle with the same thing as well not understanding what my curl type is. I just recently did a big chop video on youtube hoping to figure out my curl type more and define it but I am still unsure. Go check out my video and let me know what you guys think my hair type is too.

Bux Heaux

Sprinkle Sprinkle
Reaction score
Reactions
289,115 13,951 8,694
Alleybux
Hair type is good to know how your how your hair can be defined but that’s basically just it

To actually take care of it porosity will be more important.

josie831

KK Slider
Reaction score
Reactions
2,390 15 2
Alleybux
I think you are 3b....I struggle with the same thing as well not understanding what my curl type is. I just recently did a big chop video on youtube hoping to figure out my curl type more and define it but I am still unsure. Go check out my video and let me know what you guys think my hair type is too.

Ever since I did my second haircut and saw my natural pattern in the back it's making me excited to see it all over!
I think I have maybe about 1.5 years left til I get all my new growth in and I usually cut 1-2 inches off every month!
:b72

I'm not good at hair type but I believe your hair is 3b as well! I see the ringlets and they look very bouncy. I am gonna take the other fonts advice and wait til my ringlets grow out to get a really good hair type since length does weigh down hair texture.

Last edited: