Quantcast

Haitian Fonts: Who among you ate at this Haitian restaurant in South Florida?

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
Haitian restaurant blends new ideas with traditional flavors in suburban Lake Worth
Wilkine Brutus
wbrutus@pbpost.com

ghows-LK-200718478-09832538.jpg

It remains so despite the pandemic and despite the fact that Marseille had to temporarily close the dine-in services. Still, regulars line up for takeout favorites like legumes (hearty vegetable stew), Haitian griot (marinated and fried pork), spaghetti al' Haitienne (spicy Haitian spaghetti) and other traditional dishes.

“It’s been a different pace, but customers are very loyal to us,” says Marseille. “They love what we do and I’m just happy to be able to offer what they like.”

The local photographer and entrepreneur, whose family opened the popular Haitian restaurant in 2006, was raised throughout the tri-county area. In 2014, he took over the restaurant as owner and just recently renovated the place, expanding indoor seating and adding beer and wine.

Some of his favorite dishes, like the pwason gros sel (fish stew) and his own plantain-turkey sandwich (tender, fried turkey stacked with veggies between twice-fried green plantain slices), star in the photos he has tweeted. They’re “definitely a piece of art,” says Marseille, who uses his photography and social media skills to connect fans to the newfound popularity of Haitian food and culture.

It’s his way of showcasing the legacy of Haitian immigrants.

“We’re millennial Haitians, so right now we’re reaping what our parents have sown for us,” Marseille says. “Our culture is instilled in us but now that we are an Americanized population of Haitian people, we can cultivate and take what they did and take it to the next level.”

Inside the Lake Worth restaurant:

The moment you enter Alberte’s Restaurant, located in the southwest corner of Hypoluxo Road and Military Trail, you're hit with a dose of Haitian history before the marinated flavors even touch your palate. On the left side of the space there’s an infographic wallpaper featuring Citadelle Laferrière (a mountaintop fortress and World Heritage site in northern Haiti), Le Marron Inconnu (the Haitian symbol of freedom in Port-au-Prince), Cap-Haïtien Cathedral and Jean-Jacques Dessalines (leader of the Haitian Revolution).

The restaurant’s name, Alberte’s, is short for Alberta Marseille, Jordan’s mother, who was adamant about making everything “as authentic as possible.” So the restaurant makes “everything from scratch,” he says.

“My mom cooks - she’s a beautiful, great chef. Everything I learned is from her in the kitchen,” says Marseille, who's been in the restaurant business since he was 15 years old. “Most of the dishes you guys see me post [on social media], they might look crazy, but they’re definitely delicious.”

Create Account
In normal times, Alberte’s is known for its popular brunch and dinner specials. During the coronavirus crisis, those specials are served to go.

The family opened another Alberte’s restaurant in Oakland Park in 2013. The two locales differ in atmosphere. The Broward eatery, which is open for dine-in service, hosts Haitian events and musicians while the Lake Worth location serves a “more come and go” clientele, says Marseille.

What drives him?

Family. Marseille, who usually gets up at 6 a.m. to get his workout in and make sure food and supplies are organized for the restaurant, says he’s modernizing what his family built.

“This is her [Alberta Marseille] dream. This what she built for us to take over,” he says.

His immediate family was part of the 1980s wave of Haitian immigrants who were determined to own businesses and enter the medical field. Through sheer grit and perseverance, they were able to establish themselves in the Haitian community and attract customers from “Florida’s melting pot.”

“The truth is Haitians came down here during the early 80s, and ever since then, our population has really increased in South Florida,” Marseille says. “The more acquainted people get with Haitians, especially in the workplace and stuff like that, the more popular and the more attraction gains toward our food.”

Who eats at Alberte’s?

The restaurant brings in a mix of locals, from young professionals seeking brunch to families and older Haitian food lovers seeking authentic dishes in a nostalgic setting. Thanks to the recent building renovation, the place is attracting a crowd that’s less niche and more modern and diverse.

But the roots of it are all about family, culture and traditional flavors. Marseille believes so strongly in the concept that he’d like to expand it throughout South Florida. He says he may even “test the market up north.”

IF YOU GO
Alberte’s Restaurant has two locations in South Florida:

-- In suburban Lake Worth at 4595 Hypoluxo Rd., 561-649-6766; serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.

-- In Oakland Park at 1201 NE 38 St. (next to Funky Buddha brewery), 954-990-4360
Haitian restaurant blends new ideas with traditional flavors in suburban Lake Worth

Last edited:

maplesyrupisguud

Scarlet the Socialite
Reaction score
Reactions
4,876 98 11
Alleybux
Went to their Oakland Park location, terrible service (which is a given because it's a Haitian restaurant) and the food was nothing special (basically mediocre). Sorry to say

07poetry

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
534 7 3
Alleybux
the one in lantana- food is too spicy, horrible customer service (wish they were organized and had better customer service.. but eh.. i haven't found any good Haitian restaurant in S.Florida)

Audacity

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
174,602 9,396 5,720
Alleybux
Went to their Oakland Park location, terrible service (which is a given because it's a Haitian restaurant) and the food was nothing special (basically mediocre). Sorry to say
That’s disappointing. I was really
Hoping to hear good things about this brothers business

blumyst

Minding my business
Reaction score
Reactions
36,219 751 214
Alleybux
I used to be a big fan. Was always at their Oakland Park location. Then their service went down the toilets. Haven't been back there in 2 years now. Food is great but they need better servers

FrenchToast92

½ Haitian ½ Nigerian ½ Suburban Pisces
Reaction score
Reactions
28,396 440 240
Alleybux
as a fellow Haitian & with family in Kendall Miami, i will def visit when covid is safer

Ressaj_

I ain’t from Africa I’m from Crenshaw Mafia!
Reaction score
Reactions
42,521 2,044 3,725
Alleybux
Wilkine Brutus
wbrutus@pbpost.com

ghows-LK-200718478-09832538.jpg

It remains so despite the pandemic and despite the fact that Marseille had to temporarily close the dine-in services. Still, regulars line up for takeout favorites like legumes (hearty vegetable stew), Haitian griot (marinated and fried pork), spaghetti al' Haitienne (spicy Haitian spaghetti) and other traditional dishes.

“It’s been a different pace, but customers are very loyal to us,” says Marseille. “They love what we do and I’m just happy to be able to offer what they like.”

The local photographer and entrepreneur, whose family opened the popular Haitian restaurant in 2006, was raised throughout the tri-county area. In 2014, he took over the restaurant as owner and just recently renovated the place, expanding indoor seating and adding beer and wine.

Some of his favorite dishes, like the pwason gros sel (fish stew) and his own plantain-turkey sandwich (tender, fried turkey stacked with veggies between twice-fried green plantain slices), star in the photos he has tweeted. They’re “definitely a piece of art,” says Marseille, who uses his photography and social media skills to connect fans to the newfound popularity of Haitian food and culture.

It’s his way of showcasing the legacy of Haitian immigrants.

“We’re millennial Haitians, so right now we’re reaping what our parents have sown for us,” Marseille says. “Our culture is instilled in us but now that we are an Americanized population of Haitian people, we can cultivate and take what they did and take it to the next level.”

Inside the Lake Worth restaurant:

The moment you enter Alberte’s Restaurant, located in the southwest corner of Hypoluxo Road and Military Trail, you're hit with a dose of Haitian history before the marinated flavors even touch your palate. On the left side of the space there’s an infographic wallpaper featuring Citadelle Laferrière (a mountaintop fortress and World Heritage site in northern Haiti), Le Marron Inconnu (the Haitian symbol of freedom in Port-au-Prince), Cap-Haïtien Cathedral and Jean-Jacques Dessalines (leader of the Haitian Revolution).

The restaurant’s name, Alberte’s, is short for Alberta Marseille, Jordan’s mother, who was adamant about making everything “as authentic as possible.” So the restaurant makes “everything from scratch,” he says.

“My mom cooks - she’s a beautiful, great chef. Everything I learned is from her in the kitchen,” says Marseille, who's been in the restaurant business since he was 15 years old. “Most of the dishes you guys see me post [on social media], they might look crazy, but they’re definitely delicious.”

Create Account
In normal times, Alberte’s is known for its popular brunch and dinner specials. During the coronavirus crisis, those specials are served to go.

The family opened another Alberte’s restaurant in Oakland Park in 2013. The two locales differ in atmosphere. The Broward eatery, which is open for dine-in service, hosts Haitian events and musicians while the Lake Worth location serves a “more come and go” clientele, says Marseille.

What drives him?

Family. Marseille, who usually gets up at 6 a.m. to get his workout in and make sure food and supplies are organized for the restaurant, says he’s modernizing what his family built.

“This is her [Alberta Marseille] dream. This what she built for us to take over,” he says.

His immediate family was part of the 1980s wave of Haitian immigrants who were determined to own businesses and enter the medical field. Through sheer grit and perseverance, they were able to establish themselves in the Haitian community and attract customers from “Florida’s melting pot.”

“The truth is Haitians came down here during the early 80s, and ever since then, our population has really increased in South Florida,” Marseille says. “The more acquainted people get with Haitians, especially in the workplace and stuff like that, the more popular and the more attraction gains toward our food.”

Who eats at Alberte’s?

The restaurant brings in a mix of locals, from young professionals seeking brunch to families and older Haitian food lovers seeking authentic dishes in a nostalgic setting. Thanks to the recent building renovation, the place is attracting a crowd that’s less niche and more modern and diverse.

But the roots of it are all about family, culture and traditional flavors. Marseille believes so strongly in the concept that he’d like to expand it throughout South Florida. He says he may even “test the market up north.”

IF YOU GO
Alberte’s Restaurant has two locations in South Florida:

-- In suburban Lake Worth at 4595 Hypoluxo Rd., 561-649-6766; serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.

-- In Oakland Park at 1201 NE 38 St. (next to Funky Buddha brewery), 954-990-4360

[/QUOTE]
why i was i just talking about this restaurant on LSA last week lmaoo best griot ever

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
I used to be a big fan. Was always at their Oakland Park location. Then their service went down the toilets. Haven't been back there in 2 years now. Food is great but they need better servers
the one in lantana- food is too spicy, horrible customer service (wish they were organized and had better customer service.. but eh.. i haven't found any good Haitian restaurant in S.Florida)
That’s disappointing. I was really
Hoping to hear good things about this brothers business

they have a good Review on Yelp and Google from Haitians and non-Haitians

Haitian1

ghetto girl with a degree
Reaction score
Reactions
87,681 13,395 5,096
Alleybux
They have a good atmosphere I like it but the food is just meh since the chef and some cooks at the Broward location left to work at a strip club he now has his restaurant that chef and his cooks are the best period. The palm beach location food is good but very busy so I would order online or by phone

blumyst

Minding my business
Reaction score
Reactions
36,219 751 214
Alleybux

Ok and? You asked if it we tried their food and we all answered with our anecdotal experiences. My last time there a party of 10 people left because the service was so bad and my party ended up getting our food for free because our server was just that god awful.

ashe012

Kikyo's Apprentice
Reaction score
Reactions
3,632 63 22
Alleybux
I'll have to check it out since I'm in south Florida. My mom's actually getting food from a restaurant called JJ gourmet and it's pretty good from what I've tasted.

Anyone ever been to browards best bakery? The patties are really good. The line can be killer doe and it's a long drive..but idk where else to find good fresh patties.

Haitian1

Reaction score
Reactions
87,681 13,395 5,096
Alleybux
I'll have to check it out since I'm in south Florida. My mom's actually getting food from a restaurant called JJ gourmet and it's pretty good from what I've tasted.

Anyone ever been to browards best bakery? The patties are really good. The line can be killer doe and it's a long drive..but idk where else to find good fresh patties.
Wow I pass by it in the plaza on my way to Randy's Caribbean restaurant never knew it was a Haitian bakery lol.
any one ever go to Artibonite Haitian restaurant in Coral Springs.

edit: I meant Alberte's in Oakland park yall not Artibonite

Last edited:

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,135 11,495 3,304
Alleybux
I went here and that's only good Haitian food I had, I got the fried lobster with rice. Everything was good.
Chef Creole Seasoned Kitchen

blumyst

Minding my business
Reaction score
Reactions
36,219 751 214
Alleybux
Wow I pass by it in the plaza on my way to Randy's Caribbean restaurant never knew it was a Haitian bakery lol.

In my opinion their food is trash. I go to merlys which is across the street from them.

Haitian1

Reaction score
Reactions
87,681 13,395 5,096
Alleybux

since your in west Broward I would suggest trying Daloune Creole Cuisine in Sunrise, Sterlin's Paradise in Margate, Caribbean delight in Tamarac, H & R Grill also in Sunrise, and Pearl of the Island Caribbean Cuisine in Margate. These are the best Haitian restaurants in west Broward to me anyway lol

Last edited:

Haitian1

Reaction score
Reactions
87,681 13,395 5,096
Alleybux
they got good patties or bread? put me on game because ill be in pompano/oakland for clinical...wpb too dry
Very good patties and bread they sell Bread to local stores all over South Florida only thing is I stopped going their like 8 years ago when they started making their patties smaller lol still buy their bread from the Caribbean grocery stores and they taste great.

Haitian1

Reaction score
Reactions
87,681 13,395 5,096
Alleybux
In my opinion their food is trash. I go to merlys which is across the street from them.
I had a brain fog moment I meant Alberte's in Oakland park don't know why I put this place I only go to it cause it's on my way to and from work but tanks for letting me know about Merlys I'll try it out on my way home today.

SparklySkets

Resident Crafty Sketel
Reaction score
Reactions
4,335 254 28
Alleybux
When I lived in Boynton I went there all the time. The food is the best I’ve had.

blumyst

Minding my business
Reaction score
Reactions
36,219 751 214
Alleybux
Well I'm here to report. Went back to Albert today. Matter fact just leaving and the service still sucks. Food and drinks never came out 40 mins after ordering. Server never came back after taking our order and we were the only peeps there. We decided to just walk out.

Kenny Cash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,846 2,914 1,933
Alleybux
Well I'm here to report. Went back to Albert today. Matter fact just leaving and the service still sucks. Food and drinks never came out 40 mins after ordering. Server never came back after taking our order and we were the only peeps there. We decided to just walk out.

Oh Rete, Se pa posib, do they have a beef with you ?

SaraE

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,048 25
Alleybux
Before Covid I went to the one in Oakland park for brunch and the drinks were great. The food was okay, but I’ve had way better Haitian food. The Lake Worth location used to be my go-to years ago but now every time I hear people mention Alberte they complain about the service and food.

cestmoi92

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,695 128 16
Alleybux
Does anyone have recommendations for Haitian restaurants in Miramar or Pembroke Pines?

Sunshine22

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,967 268 64
Alleybux
The food is great but the service still sucks! I just want to say how proud I am of Jordan. He is taking over very well. He never leads by discussing this family business but has pride in it.

He's a great individual on a personal level and it shows professionally as well. When he is around in the business, the staff is more courteous. Major props to his parents for laying down the foundation for him. I hope more Haitian parents (millennial generation) will do the same for those coming up. And hopefully the service and wait times improve.