Has anybody ever hired an interior decorator?

Reactions
15,898 199 90
Alleybux
I've thought about it before but just couldn't wrap my head around paying someone thousands on top of dishing out thousands for the pieces they pick out.

It was much easier to just use Pinterest. It's what I used to revamp my bedroom.

Reactions
26,636 300 82
Alleybux
Yes, I did. However, her price was factored into the cost of the the furniture and other items. I’m pretty good at design, so I usually changed things myself and don’t really need one. People actually asked for my input on their homes. I would still hire one again because certain things only designers have access to.

Reactions
968 41
Alleybux
I hired someone fresh out of college. She had a great portfolio of things she did at her place and for family/friends, so I let her do my living room. To this day, I keep in mind with things she told me about decorating. Has helped me decorate my home throughout the years. Very worth it.

Reactions
146,980 6,516 5,892
Alleybux

Used houzz
find a room you like
buy everything
Geez you always have valuable information to share thanks

OLDHEAD
Reactions
18,832 214 72
Alleybux
I hired someone fresh out of college. She had a great portfolio of things she did at her place and for family/friends, so I let her do my living room. To this day, I keep in mind with things she told me about decorating. Has helped me decorate my home throughout the years. Very worth it.
This is what I want when I move. I was thinking it would be cheaper to get someone fresh out of school and eager to build their portfolio. How exactly did you find the person from school?

i have an idea of the style I like but I find decorating to be overwhelming. I would rather pay someone, but I don't need a fancy expensive decorator. Just someone with a good eye and knows how to maximize spacing. My $$ will go towards the furniture.

Queen B
OLDHEAD
Reactions
2,923 8 8
Alleybux
If you have someone whose style you like, see if they will help. I hired my mama. Lol. I know what I like but I’m too lazy to do all the leg work. My mama doesn’t mind staying out in the stores all damn day until she gets it done. She loves that crap. My best friend even flew my mama out to decorate her house.

I did have an idea of what I wanted my dining room table to look like. I went into Z gallerie and spent a couple of hours with the sales associate and I put together some ideas on the table. It really helped. The SA liked it so much that they left it up as the display.

my mama talked about my guest room like a dog. She told my sister it “made her sad” . I put no effort into that room because I never go in there. And I only have guests occasionally. She showed up at Christmas and redid the entire room. Now she says it matches the rest of my house. Best part is she didn’t ask for any money for the things she bought.

Reactions
47,587 345 142
Alleybux
I’m a raced about interior designer. I could offer you my work on a budget, but I also have more expensive work. One of the most important things to me is knowing my clientele.

Here’s some of
B9FD8896-4D95-48A8-AC01-35CCAA9A8098.png
my work:

And I have a lot more!! You should contact me.

Reactions
18,638 472 356
Alleybux
Yes. 3 times.
1st time was an apartment. My budget was 3-4K. Mostly accessories. I remember there were some custom barstools. I already had the big items.

2nd time and house rental.
3rd time at the pre construction stage of a condo.

You start with a budget.
They like to present custom ideas to your space.
I had to wait up to a months for completion.
How did you find them, seriously considering one for my apt.

Reactions
6,113 257 28
Alleybux
I search through decorating ideas online. And then steal like elements from it. Like my kids hallway is almost an exact of what I saw on Pinterest. I just searched mirror, Butterfly decor, and light fixtures. Until I found something beautifully similar for my girls. And I did their rooms the same.

Reactions
51 2 6
Alleybux
I can't decorate for shit. I can go to stores and pick out things I like pretty easily but I can't put it together right. I live in a townhouse now and plan on moving in another 1.5 to 2 years. I refuse to go out sad in my new house and I WILL hire a decorator. I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg but it is what it is.
This is a subject close to my heart. I majored in the subject and consulted recently housed people on low income through a social enterprise.

Quick fix tip:
Cheapest paint is white. (Blank canvas)
Accessorise with colour. (Like soft furnishings, art work etc)
At a later date paint/wallpaper an accent/focal wall. (To complete/bring together)

Floors/ceilings. They can match or contrast the walls depending on your chosen look.

just remember. It’s personal. You’ll have to live in it. colour affects us in more ways than you’d think.

If you’re able to have someone working for you to create your dream space. Remember they’re human too and if you micro manage and want to make changes AFTER you’ve finalised the design. The job won’t get finished on time and may end up costing you more.
The advantage of having someone work for you is they’ll be able to draft or 3D render the space so you can see how it’ll look along with sample boards so you can feel see the finishes.

Hope this is helpful.

Reactions
357 49 80
Alleybux
Yes. 3 times.
1st time was an apartment. My budget was 3-4K. Mostly accessories. I remember there were some custom barstools. I already had the big items.

2nd time and house rental.
3rd time at the pre construction stage of a condo.

You start with a budget.
They like to present custom ideas to your space.
I had to wait up to a months for completion.
I want to hire a decorator for my apartment. I want to budget 4K but the furniture I have I want to get rid of. Do you think this is enough?

Reactions
24,891 148 61
Alleybux
Came here to recommend these 2 options. Many designers to choose from and affordable.

I too cosign havenly. Just used them back in March for my place. It was a great experience.

I will recommend to anyone that you should cross reference the prices of products the designer recommends. They do a price match only for their seller partners. If a wayfair item on havenly is more expensive than on the wayFair site, they’ll honor the lower price.

They also honor seller promotions but you can not use a havenly code plus a code from the partner site.

because their partners fulfill the order, I also recommend checking to see if an item is on back order. There were several items on havenly from west elm & pottery barn that were shown on back order when I went to those websites. Def check that before pulling any triggers on buying directly through havenly.

I didn’t buy my couch thought havenly because if this. It would have been late summer or early fall before I had my couch. I have ordered some of the less expensive items through havenly since the designer earns commission on those items.

Reactions
1,722 5 1
Alleybux
Try spacejoy. They do a 3-d 360 degree design of your space once you provide measurements and tel, you where to get everything, they also include a free redesign the space if there are things you don’t like in the first two options they give. I used it for my living room and it gave me some great ideas.

OLDHEAD
Reactions
181,749 1,730 424
Alleybux
No just me, my mom, and aunt who have an eye for home decor and decorating. If you have friends or family near you that like to decorate I’d use them and give them something for helping. You’re moving in another few years too so it’s not much of a big deal

Reactions
31,987 198 33
Alleybux
No, but I want to get to that point in life. I probably would'nt ever hire one, but would maybe consult w/ one then do my own thing. It's not like i have a large house to tackle.

My parents are renovating, and I would like for them to get one eventually bc you can't use the old furniture after the renovation, and the layout will be different.

Reactions
41,916 647 264
Alleybux
I want to hire a decorator for my apartment. I want to budget 4K but the furniture I have I want to get rid of. Do you think this is enough?
My sectional was 1800 on sale. A 9x12 rug can run you 2000 easily. I would up that budget or repurpose the items you have.

Reactions
169,521 2,741 1,503
Alleybux
I prefer to spend my entire budget on the things I need for the house. What I've learned from my own experiences is that function comes first. Having a beautiful room that doesn't flow well with your lifestyle is a recipe for disaster.

Once you figure out function, collect pictures on Pinterest to figure out your style and possible color scheme. Create a mood board and then source the items you love but at a reasonable price. Clip pics add them all to your mood board to see if they mesh. Once you figure that out get as many samples as you can. Also, focus on the accessory items last. Those are the pieces you can get from thrifting, antique stores and estate sales. Those are the items that will give the room character. Also, if you're trying to paint the rom do that last. Once you get everything set up you can get a feel for the wall color.

I'm in the process of doing this now and the best part is being able to change things on a mood board instead of buying things and realizing it doesn't work well. It takes time but the more planning you've done the better. I used to spend so much money redecorating when the problem wasn't what I purchased it was because it didn't work well with my lifestyle.

Reactions
5,610 59
Alleybux
I plan to hire one when I purchase my home, hopefully later this year. For me, it's a good investment as I'll be spending the majority of my time at home (working, etc.) I have a good idea of what I'd like, just need someone with the vision and expertise to help make it happen.

Reactions
5,226 57 4
Alleybux
Pinterest! It’s free 99! Copy and paste. Even with interior design they’re going to ask what you like or what your vision is ( maximalist? Minimalist? Cozy? Coastal? Scandinavian, mid modern century? Colors? Lighting?) if you can’t answer that yet I wouldn’t even hire one simply because you end up with someone else’s touch in YOUR home. Parlay that on to Pinterest search and make boards. They even have design styles quizzes online that can generate your “style” based on how you answer the questions. If the quiz results says your style is “Scandinavian flare” plug that result into Pinterest and thousands of pics come up. Then save and narrow down. If you’re creative with your search the ideas start flowing and I’m pretty sure you won’t have to pay anyone or if you do they won’t have to do much but tack on to what your ideas are.

Last edited:
Reactions
5,226 57 4
Alleybux
My sectional was 1800 on sale. A 9x12 rug can run you 2000 easily. I would up that budget or repurpose the items you have.
I repurpose and upcycle like crazy and I get a lot of compliments. I’m revamping my living room again : unamused:and I found a gorgeous Fenton lamp that goes with my “vision” along with a shell backed arm chair that was dirt cheap at an estate sale. The rest of the things I already are being painted painted or swamped out to another room. I saved a lot of money doing this vs clearing everything out and starting all over again with a clean slate. Nothing wrong with that but it’s pricey and people generally want to change things every 3-5 years.

Reactions
15,664 182 73
Alleybux
Not me personally, but my home is under 2000 sq ft so I can't see paying someone to decorate. I would get decorating or design ideas from magazines etc.

The Culture

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

SWV "Weak" Almost Went To Bobby Brown
I think I can hear it..it would have probably been good, but not nearly as inconic.
  • Poll
UPDATE Do You Think My Professor Was Being Racist?
If you're a basic bitch that lacks critical thinking skills with no upward mobility and a bad case of victimhood, just say that! It's only...
Virgo moons, why are y’all so trifling shady and boring?!
Can't relate. I've never been called boring & those other words don't describe me either. Out of curiosity, do you know any of these Virgo moon...
UPDATE Reddit Users Are LEGALLY Gaming The Stock Market...
Not sure why you'd have to send them more info? Either way it's pretty easy to transfer your coins to another wallet. Don't you have to fill out...
The Official Gigi Beauty / Luchetti Family Thread
I’m glad she admitted that she was a completely different person in her older videos. I was watching them back and she steadyyy had me crying...
US Black male tourist killed in Puerto Rico after no-photo warning
that threw me off lol. wtf so much random shit? were they at someones house? Bish I was screaming when I saw deep fryer :joy:
D.C groupies
What's her new IG _itsherbeauty
South Carolina Adds Firing Squads to Methods of Execution. Death Row Inmates Get To Choose...
I don't understand all the pearl-clutching over the firing squad method when the electric chair is worse. There's not as much gore, so people...
SNL embarrassing themselves yet again with terrible 'Gen Z Hospital' sketch
They’ve done a skit or two parodying every generation, nothing special or out of the ordinary.
Ma'khia Bryant's family tell their story of what happened before the shooting
I want these black-faced white supremacists to eat CROW. What kind of low life do you have to be to demonize a CHILD? They couldn't even wait to...
Top Bottom