Quantcast

Has anyone attended Western Governors University (WGU)?

Goal Blooded

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,827 1,330 378
Alleybux
Has anyone on this site attended Western Governors University (WGU)? If so, what was your experience like? Did you obtain a degree from this institution? If so, how long did it take you?

The reason why I’m asking is because I’ve seen a lot of people enrolling in this school. It’s seems like a good choice for those who opt for distance learning, as well as going at their own pace to obtain a degree. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and reading on reddit about people’s experiences with this college. Some have said that they’ve gotten their degree in 4-6 months and even in 9 months.

I’ve been debating for a while now in going back to school to get my masters. I currently have an associates degree and bachelors degree in Business Administration. I applied for UMUC last year and got accepted but I was a bit apprehensive about the tuition cost overall and how I would be able to finance it. So, I decided not to attend.

I’ve been out of school since 2013 and I’m ready to take this next step. I’m all about affordability which is another reason why I’m looking into WGU. I’m interested in getting either the MBA in IT Management or the MS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance. I want to apply at the end of the year for next year.

Last edited:

ceecee

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,577 1,100 613
Alleybux
My sister did. It was a bad deal for her. She never graduated & left after 2 years w/ student loan debt and had to start over somewhere else because no one would accept their credits. She went for data management. The degree included several top industry certs. They switched all those certs for low level certs no one ever heard of. There are no instructors. It's basically self-study using text books and videos. She had to meet with her student advisor every week by phone & the person was always late. She went in 2012 or 2013. I don't know if it's any better now.

DolceDiva

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,367 2,853 865
Alleybux
I know a few people who are on faculty at WGU. They are all industry professionals in subject they instruct through the school. They love it and have regular contact with their students. Distance/online learning isnt best for everyone but it has been a godsend for a lot of people.

jaefali

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,208 1,276 824
Alleybux
I know someone who finished theirs in 2018, cause they really needed an official degree to get through HR.

I think it was a business management degree, since they had years of sales experience. Worked out well for them and finished in like one term and got a comfy government job.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,680 495,014 222,891
Alleybux
Posted by @hanginbyathread

I think it depends on your major. I have worked with a lot of nurses who got their bachelors or master’s from there. The nursing programs are accredited and reputable. Not sure about the other programs.

Last edited by a moderator:

usernamusernam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,572 1,796 240
Alleybux
I went for my mba and graduated. It took me 6 months but that was a very difficult 6 months. If I wasn't working I was studying, writing a paper or taking a test. I barely had time to eat. I'm in tech and have been sought after by big companies after receiving my degree. I already had tech experience and even then the curriculum was challenging. Anytime I was having trouble with something I'd schedule a meeting with a course instructor and they were always super helpful. I'd definitely recommend. The only thing that annoyed me was having to meet with my counselor once a week. I felt that I shouldn't have to meet with him unless I was struggling or not on track.

SuckinToes

Gunther can chop these t!tt!es....
Reaction score
Reactions
30,752 1,236 1,339
Alleybux
I'll be finishing my bachelors there next year and getting my MBA as well. I like studying at home on my own.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,413 6 1
Alleybux
I graduated from WGU in 2009. It took my 2 years to get my Bachelor in HR. I went back and got my MBA. The school is accredited and reputable. I work in Silicon Valley and it hasn't stopped my career growth or been looked down on from a career perspective.

Has anyone on this site attended Western Governors University (WGU)? If so, what was your experience like? Did you obtain a degree from this institution? If so, how long did it take you?

The reason why I’m asking is because I’ve seen a lot of people enrolling in this school. It’s seems like a good choice for those who opt for distance learning, as well as going at their own pace to obtain a degree. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and reading on reddit about people’s experiences with this college. Some have said that they’ve gotten their degree in 4-6 months and even in 9 months.

I’ve been debating for a while now in going back to school to get my masters. I currently have an associates degree and bachelors degree in Business Administration. I applied for UMUC last year and got accepted but I was a bit apprehensive about the tuition cost overall and how I would be able to finance it. So, I decided not to attend.

I’ve been out of school since 2013 and I’m ready to take this next step. I’m all about affordability which is another reason why I’m looking into WGU. I’m interested in getting either the MBA in IT Management or the MS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance. I want to apply at the end of the year for next year.

ATLlioness

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,942 397 130
Alleybux
I do not have a personal experience with the school, but I will say that I know someone who went there to get a certified teaching degree. She had a business degree, and went back to change careers. She has been teaching elementary school for at least 6 years now, so I'm guessing they've had a decent reputation for awhile now.

AshlandCortesso

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,110 976 1,431
Alleybux
I know this guy that plans on doing their online masters in teaching program a few states away. It sounds like a pretty good gig but he's going in seeking a specific program with a specific path.

I sometimes have my doubts about schools like this but I'm a firm believer if you walk in with a plan, you can walk out with something useful. School is school.

I'm looking at some of their graduate online programs myself but with online programs, schools normally strip the bµllsh!t and it's straight forward: you take this online class and you move to the next one...and so on until you get your degree. They normally strip all the unnecessary required classes for grad/online students.

However, in terms of moving out there and dealing with the physical campus. I would look at their graduation requirements and classes youd have to take. With colleges like that you might find that they're forcing you to pay 15 credits worth of unnecessary classes.

SoLovely

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
13,152 472 167
Alleybux
I got my B.S. there and am now working on my masters. I LOVEEE my school. I love that I work at my own pace, at whatever time I want to. I also love the competency model. If you are a self motivated and disciplined person like me, this will work out well for you. I did my B.S. in one year after transferring credits from my A.A. I could have done it in six months if I didn't take breaks. Now I'm aiming to complete my MBA in one year. But be aware, it is not easier.

Do you have specific questions? I can definitely help.

Chareb8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,377 416 316
Alleybux
Do you have specific questions? I can definitely help.

I am about to start at WGU in March but I'm have to accept my financial aid package before I can attend orientation and get my schedule of classes. The problem is that I do not really want to be in debt or owe anything so I def do not want to accept the entire 15K that they are offering. I am doing the MS in Bus management and leadership which is about 4300 a term. I dont want to rush, as I have to do 36CUs (is that 3 credits per class?) My question is, what do you suggest?

usernamusernam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,572 1,796 240
Alleybux
I know you're not talking to me but... I'd suggest you accept the amount you need for each term of the financial aid year. Most classes are 3 credits and some are 4 credit but you don't have to worry about that since your tuition isn't based on how many credits you take. Its a set amount for the 6 month term. You could definitely do 36 cus in 2 terms, 3 at the most. If you accept financial aid for 2 terms but end up finishing in 1 term like I did the 2nd half of your financial aid doesn't get disbursed so you won't owe the 2nd half.
I am about to start at WGU in March but I'm have to accept my financial aid package before I can attend orientation and get my schedule of classes. The problem is that I do not really want to be in debt or owe anything so I def do not want to accept the entire 15K that they are offering. I am doing the MS in Bus management and leadership which is about 4300 a term. I dont want to rush, as I have to do 36CUs (is that 3 credits per class?) My question is, what do you suggest?

SoLovely

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
13,152 472 167
Alleybux
Everything @usernamusernam said. You decide how much funds you receive so don't take the full amount. This is also a good time to apply for scholarships if you haven't already. I've gotten them both for my undergrad and at the graduate level. Not sure of its luck or they are widely disbursed but you should try. I took my sweet time my first semester and only did 4 classes. My second term starts February and I'm trying to knock down these 7 classes so I can graduate later this year in Philly. Join the Facebook groups for your degree program, check reddit/wgu, and UTILIZE Quizlet. Good Luck!

Ms. PrettyMac

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,446 328 52
Alleybux
I'm thinking about going for my Bachelor's in June. I'm looking into Network Operations and security.

Itsmebaby

Flight attendant + Registered nurse
Reaction score
Reactions
29,428 216 105
Alleybux
I plan to apply for the prelicensure program for nursing this year. Almost done with my courses. I have a coworker who is in the program and loves it.

Chareb8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,377 416 316
Alleybux
Currently enrolled in a masters program in business; started in March/soon after I posted here. I will say that just because it's online, doesn't mean that its a cake walk. There's so much damn reading and writing.

rainey151

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,069 84 23
Alleybux
Currently enrolled in a masters program in business; started in March/soon after I posted here. I will say that just because it's online, doesn't mean that its a cake walk. There's so much damn reading and writing.
Agreed I’m in DDDM now

Chillin4Life

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Reactions
29,772 418 131
Alleybux
I am considering the MBA. Is the courses just lecture based or is there project work too?

Thank you.

SuckinToes

Gunther can chop these t!tt!es....
Reaction score
Reactions
30,752 1,236 1,339
Alleybux
Hey did you continue to pursue your MBA with WGU? If so how was/is the program?

Hi there! I'm still paying off my tuition balance at Ashworth so unfortunately I can't transfer yet. On top of that I'm still unemployed. As soon as things get better financially I'll be able to get into WGU. I honestly thought I'd have my bachelors by now but covid messed everything up for me.

Chillin4Life

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Reactions
29,772 418 131
Alleybux
Hang in there!

Hi there! I'm still paying off my tuition balance at Ashworth so unfortunately I can't transfer yet. On top of that I'm still unemployed. As soon as things get better financially I'll be able to get into WGU. I honestly thought I'd have my bachelors by now but covid messed everything up for me.

Chareb8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,377 416 316
Alleybux
I am considering the MBA. Is the courses just lecture based or is there project work too?

Thank you.

Projects, Papers, and tests

What @rainey151 said. If the MBA is anything like the MSML, then there is a ton of reading. But as you go, you'll be able to determine what needs your time to complete the assignments.

Agreed I’m in DDDM now

I opted not to take that; been reading too many horror stories.

Chareb8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,377 416 316
Alleybux
Here's an update:

I started in March. I only want to pay for on term so my term ends 8/31. I'm currently in my second to last class (11 total) and I have hit a wall. Between being tired of working, tired of working from home, tired of being in the house, tired of not being able to travel, tired of the same ol' day to day, tired of reading and tired of writing damn papers, I am struggling to finish this first paper. I have a few more chapters to read before I start my second paper and I am trying to have it graded by 8/10 so that I can qualify for an extension on my capstone.

Take away: This school and program aint no joke!

Goal Blooded

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,827 1,330 378
Alleybux
Here's an update:

I started in March. I only want to pay for on term so my term ends 8/31. I'm currently in my second to last class (11 total) and I have hit a wall. Between being tired of working, tired of working from home, tired of being in the house, tired of not being able to travel, tired of the same ol' day to day, tired of reading and tired of writing damn papers, I am struggling to finish this first paper. I have a few more chapters to read before I start my second paper and I am trying to have it graded by 8/10 so that I can qualify for an extension on my capstone.

You’re almost at the finish line sis keep pushing! All that hard work is paying off. I know it can be tough to stay motivated and focused but based on your updates you have came far from when you started. You got this!

Chareb8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,377 416 316
Alleybux
You’re almost at the finish line sis keep pushing! All that hard work is paying off. I know it can be tough to stay motivated and focused but based on your updates you have came far from when you started. You got this!

*Tears*

I really appreciate this message. I'm going to push through. Thank you very much. xo

Teigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,493 909 240
Alleybux
Here's an update:

Thanks for the update. I was going to post and ask how it was going but didn't know if you were here.

Keep the faith. You can pull through it. Just keep eye on the prize and repeat... ummm.. I don't want to pay another 4k.

Brenda Leigh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,788 170 28
Alleybux
I just started in March too. I'm in the accounting program. If you decide to enroll, join every FB group you can. There's an accelerators group that will help with tips for passing courses quickly. There are also groups for the different programs and levels. I will say that the masters pages I joined looks to be visited way less frequently than the bachelors pages. But there is help nonetheless. Reddit is helpful as well.

Some students post about their success finding jobs. Sometimes even while they still have classes left. They've mentioned interviewers being impressed with them being able to complete their programs online. And with Covid, even the employers who may have looked down on distance learning will have to reevaluate their biases. My program mentor told me they're seeing more people enroll lately. With the program being so cheap, it makes more sense to go here than an expensive, bigger named school if possible. I kind of wish I'd done this with my first degree.

On the subject of program mentors, yes you have to speak to them once a week. But that's just during the first term. It changes to every 2 weeks for subsequent terms. My meetings last a couple minutes unless we start talking about other things. My PM is really nice, so sometimes we just talk about how our week has been.

Last edited:

Chareb8

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,377 416 316
Alleybux
Thanks for the update. I was going to post and ask how it was going but didn't know if you were here.

Keep the faith. You can pull through it. Just keep eye on the prize and repeat... ummm.. I don't want to pay another 4k.

I LOL'ed at that 4K! You aint lying!!

Thank you! I'm going to keep at it with that in mind.

I can send another update once I finish my capstone. Just submitted my last paper for my second to last class.

Goal Blooded

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,827 1,330 378
Alleybux

I can send another update once I finish my capstone. Just submitted my last paper for my second to last class.

Please do because your updates motivates me to want to give WGU a try.

Brenda Leigh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,788 170 28
Alleybux

They prorate the cost of your last semester if you have less than 8 credits left (12 for undergrad).
Tuition Information for Part-Time Enrollment - WGU Community

Your progress is impressive! I'm looking forward to your update saying you're finished.