Quantcast

Has Anyone Here Had Luck With Literary Agents?

Msangelbaby

LSA’s Favorite Villain
Reaction score
Reactions
146,772 6,738 2,401
Alleybux
I’ve been writing for as long as I could hold a crayon and everyone always asks, “why don’t you write a book,” or, “why don’t you try to get published,” as if it’s just SO easy.

I gave up on actually publishing something years ago because I don’t have time for these literary agents. They’re extremely particular about what they want and it seems like they rarely accept anyone’s work. I don’t think anything I’ve ever written meets their little criteria.

I’m in desperate need of extra cash and I was considering taking another stab at trying to get a literary agent. I’m just not sure how to go about it.

sunburnt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,919 1,042 503
Alleybux
You have to finish your manuscript first and foremost. A literary agent isn't going to accept unfinished work or 'ideas'. It's an extreme rarity that an agent will ever look at an unfinished manuscript from an unpublished and unheard of writer.

If you're just interested in writing because you need money, then don't write. Or atleast don't strive to make the NYT Bestsellers through traditional publishers. Traditional publishing can be very rewarding, but there is also an elitist factor within the big publishing houses, so I can see why you might feel a little defeated in having confidence in your work. But don't count yourself out when you don't even have a finished piece

I mean, you can just do it for the money. I know a self published author that was making $14k/month on her work at one point but she was just doing it for the money and didn't actually like the genre she was writing in. She was catering to a particular audience. She also wrote 1-2 books (200+ page) every month. If you are that desperate for cash, I suggest researching the hell out of popular fiction niches and subcategories, pick one, write and self-publish some FREE novellas and novels to build an audience, then roll out $0.99/book series. This will take some time and a lot of effort and planning (which is why I don't think someone that is desperate for cash should do it) but it can pay off if you do it right.

If you don't want to do that then just suck it up and sell some stuff on ebay.

Last edited:

BrownCapital

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,347 1,900 1,905
Alleybux
You have to finish your manuscript first and foremost. A literary agent isn't going to accept unfinished work or 'ideas'. It's an extreme rarity that an agent will ever look at an unfinished manuscript from an unpublished and unheard of writer.

If you're just interested in writing because you need money, then don't write. Or atleast don't strive to make the NYT Bestsellers through traditional publishers. Traditional publishing can be very rewarding, but there is also an elitist factor within the big publishing houses, so I can see why you might feel a little defeated in having confidence in your work. But don't count yourself out when you don't even have a finished piece

I mean, you can just do it for the money. I know a self published author that was making $14k/month on her work at one point but she was just doing it for the money and didn't actually like the genre she was writing in. She was catering to a particular audience. She also wrote 1-2 books (200+ page) every month. If you are that desperate for cash, I suggest researching the hell out of popular fiction niches and subcategories, pick one, write and self-publish some FREE novellas and novels to build an audience, then roll out $0.99/book series. This will take some time and a lot of effort and planning (which is why I don't someone that is desperate for cash to do it) but it can pay off if you do it right.

If you don't want to do that then just suck it up and sell some stuff on ebay.

What do you think agents look for and don’t look for?

MrsSamCooke

From the moonlit wilds
Reaction score
Reactions
28,073 1,040 98
Alleybux
To find an agent as a new and as yet unheard voice, you must first have written (and edited) a complete manuscript!

I have a finished and as-perfected-as-I-can get-it manuscript which I've been sitting on for quite a while now. Literary agents do come off as particular but they need to. Each agent deals with different genres. Each agent is yearning to hear a voice/read text which strikes them in an unforgettable way. Each agent wants writers who present themselves - and their work - in a professional manner. And, yes, whether or not they feel a writer can bring in the money is also important to them. As an author of literary fiction (as opposed to commercial fiction), I feel a bit intimated and daunted in going the traditional route. Still, it is the way I wish to go. There are agents seeking my kind of work. I suppose I ought to move it already.

We mustn't allow ourselves, as writers, to lose heart (or patience). Confidence in one's craft and voice are crucial! And agents do work hard toward getting writers published. Indeed, they publish many authors. Most of those books lining shelves in the stores and at-home are, in part, there because of them.

But like @sunburnt said, if you're in quick need of cash, this really isn't the way to go because it takes time. In having said that, most writers who sit down and write on a routine basis - those who work at honing their craft while in pursuit of publication - end up doing quite well for themselves.

Last edited:

Nutella

Single Guy of the Month
Reaction score
Reactions
148,543 6,964 1,088
Alleybux
Most agents don't make a salary. They're on 15% commission. It takes a lot of time and labor to pitch and sell a book to editors hoping they'll get paid off the sale in the end. So they only pick books they think will succeed.

Nutella

Single Guy of the Month
Reaction score
Reactions
148,543 6,964 1,088
Alleybux
Today is the last day of Autumn Fest. Try your luck.

Also try PitMad

You just missed PitDark, and DVPit (which I got 6 requests from reputable agents in) this week.

PitchWars was about a month ago.

OlliexAngel

Manifesting my Dreams
Reaction score
Reactions
47,798 4,831 2,064
Alleybux
More rejections... : unamused:

I get what you mean OP. It’s frustrating. I might just go the self publishing route.

OlliexAngel

Manifesting my Dreams
Reaction score
Reactions
47,798 4,831 2,064
Alleybux
Have you looked into getting some beta readers? They can really help you refine your work through critiques.

Im so afraid that someone will steal my work or bits and pieces of it. Do you k ow a somewhat safe/trustworthy website?

sunburnt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,919 1,042 503
Alleybux
Im so afraid that someone will steal my work or bits and pieces of it. Do you k ow a somewhat safe/trustworthy website?
Try Critique Circle. Your work cannot be stolen and the way it's set up is that everyone has to provide a critique and in order to receive one.