Has anyone written a fairytale for the adult audience? (not really fantasy)

“Don't watch the clock; Keep it moving.”
Reactions
94,598 7,794 3,927
Alleybux
I don’t even know any adult fairytales... but I have this story I’m thinking about that has all the fairytale elements “fairies, magick, princess, castles” but it’s really not quite fantasy either.

and at least 30K words or more... not short stories like most fantasy.

I’m just thinking if anyone did it and if there’s any tips for it?

aesthete | ˈesˌTHēt
Reactions
16,677 1,072 131
Alleybux
The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter could be an example for you. I’m not a writer so I can’t offer any tips, unfortunately.

General Manager
Reactions
78,753 1,485 1,064
Alleybux
So you're looking for tips on how to write adult fairy tales? I don't have any tips but you may want to check out author Helen Oyeyemi, her books are twists on fairy tales.

General Manager
Reactions
24,274 289 35
Alleybux
I've tried but it's a lot of work because there are a lot of world building questions that need to be answered. Don't let it overwhelm you because even George RR Martin, the writer of A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, admits even he didn't get everything right with his series.

Of course don't let it overwhelm you, keep writing as much as you can, just make sure you have a document/bible of everything that happens in the series and things that might not be overly stated in the novel. Like they might live on a peninsula instead of an island, they only have 2 season, stuff like that.

Starter
Reactions
598 13 2
Alleybux
Wicked series by Gregory Maguire. It has magic but it is rare at first and you really see how people interact, the city, the poor, etc and it feels very gritty and bleak, like Charles Dickens. very human and less about the magical elements, though those pick up as the books go on.

Its like it drags you and then brings you back up and says, "oh yeah this is a fantasy here's some sparkles for you, some mythical characters" and then proceeds with the emotional trauma of the people around you, the manipulative gas lighting and sleeping outside, getting your next meal etc. If I wrote some adult fantasy I would def want it to be in the same lane as this

Starter
Reactions
4,849 8 11
Alleybux
The Ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman. American Gods by him is one of my favorite fantasy books. There are actually a lot, try searching for magical realism or contemporary/urban fantasy if you want things set in the modern world.

General Alley

Recent Posts

Official childfree by choice random thoughts
I started reading selfish, shallow and self-absorbed and THIS PART!!!! “I remember being astonished to meet contemporaries who had decided to...
How many times a week do you strength train, and do you see any results?
I strength train each time I'm in the gym... so 4-5 times a week. I used to split days into upper body/lower body, but now going to the gym post...
How come people with unibrows just don't shave the hair in the middle?
i love unibrow men, I find them damn hot. There’s no need to shave, it makes them more masculine and natural. On women I find it yuckie and nasty...
Israel Said, "We Won't Stop Bombing Until There Is Complete Silence"; They Sent War Planes To...
trust me they arent a single good people among them. some of them pretend to be peaceful to avoid backlash, you know "good cops, bad cops" we...
  • Poll
If you were very rich would you marry a poor man?
Even rich I’d never fuck with a broke man. He needs an education and a normal job.
Is It Selfish To Be Hesitant About Donating Organs To A Family Member?
Why would you say that? For the same reason I say that not all parents are willing to donate organs to their children. You didn’t know that?
MsVaughntv's new vlog series "MY REAL LIFE"
I watched the autism vlog bc I needed something to watch while I cook. I like Vaughn (as pretentious as she is) and I think it would be best for...
Matthias Schoenaerts Appreciation/Tea Thread
he has so much potential. I think about Mathias time to time bc I know mans has way too much talent to be simply idling like that
Top Bottom