Quantcast

HBO's "Tina" Documentary: Official Viewing Thread

oumoub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,519 986 347
Alleybux
Also, am I the only one who feels like she used the abuse as a publicity move to reinvent herself as a solo artist after the divorce? And continued to make money off it? It was sensational at the time and then she wrote a book and I’m sure was paid for the rights to her story for the movie. So it’s a double edged sword. Once you put that out there, it’s no longer yours/private. Of course she was going to be asked about it at every interview. She promoted it herself! I’m not buying her bellyaching about it in this documentary! You literally made money off that story!
Unpopular opinion but I agree! She kept asking people to leave her alone but then she wrote the book and gave the rights to the movie...how sway?!

Reaction score
Reactions
6,713 94 28
Alleybux
Unpopular opinion but I agree! She kept asking people to leave her alone but then she wrote the book and gave the rights to the movie...how sway?!

I think that's a bit moot/mute point now. I mean sure she has profited off of it to a certain degree. It's one of the reasons people like her. But does she have the work go back it up? Yes, she does. That is undeniable. Even without the abuse, the story is still remarkable. It inspires people. Some people claim it changed their life. Whether it was to leave an abusive situation or go for their dream. This doc has just reached a new generation of people to inspire. At its core, it's a Cindrealla story, another twist on the story of the underdog overcoming adversity. People love those stories. If she makes money off it I think she deserves it.

ashleybanx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
110,401 6,161 3,763
Alleybux
Did anyone cheer was she was telling the story of crossing the freeway when she left Ike. It was a miracle she crossed safely. I got teary eyed when she talked about never having love from her parents and how she looked in the mirror and asked “what’s wrong with me?”

The combo of her storytelling and that fire Asian warrior music had me soaring. It was like when Mulan finally made it to the top of that post with the weights.

I’ve been so empowered since watching that doc I’m telling you. I’ll be 30 next month and Tina just got me feeling so inspired. I’m the captain of this ship baby! No one else!!!!

whodattea

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,873 69 2
Alleybux
yeah that movie is hitting different. tina was lonely for decades.

more truth than fiction with that film.

still want an explanation for the anti-Blackness, but that's another discussion.

wait what you mean anti-Blackness?

whodattea

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,873 69 2
Alleybux
Beautiful documentary. You can tell it was packaged as a goodbye to fans as advertised. Her life shouldn't be defined by abuse, but remembered for an extraordinary second act. Don't let your upbringing, the falls you take, and your age make you think there isn't something great out there for you in the world.
wait this was advertised as a goodbye??? whatttt

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,120 18,671 4,883
Alleybux
wait this was advertised as a goodbye??? whatttt

Yes, Tina's 81 years old. They'll be no new music, no tours or performances. It seems no more interviews or big public appearances. She'll just enjoy her last years in private.

nique71

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
347,494 8,758 3,183
Alleybux
I feel like parts of it didn’t delve into her private life. I may watch it again just to make sure I didn’t miss anything since I caught it in several viewings.

Diamond Marie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,447 39 26
Alleybux
I feel like parts of it didn’t delve into her private life. I may watch it again just to make sure I didn’t miss anything since I caught it in several viewings.
Riiight. I felt like so much was missing. Maybe I'm just too nosey lol. I wish her sons had been involved even if they were a little salty during interviews like can we just see their version of the truth put together into her complete story for once? I wish they had explained her relationship with her father also. Her first book paints him super complex but she never ever talks about him.

LuvKaya

gotta have kaya now
Reaction score
Reactions
134,566 6,464 2,932
Alleybux
Riiight. I felt like so much was missing. Maybe I'm just too nosey lol. I wish her sons had been involved even if they were a little salty during interviews like can we just see their version of the truth put together into her complete story for once? I wish they had explained her relationship with her father also. Her first book paints him super complex but she never ever talks about him.

IMO, she repeated the same behavior as her mom, leaving the kids behind. I know her reason was work.

Diamond Marie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,447 39 26
Alleybux
Well someone went to Fox news and said much of what was said in this and other threads about Tina's distance from the kids.

It seems like they don't understand that they can also write a book or do a documentary, I wish they would just go ahead and tell their story already. They do have the right to also tell their life story. Just do it and stop peddling little articles to trashy outlets.

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,053 7,013 9,249
Alleybux
Some fonts just don’t know when to turn off the “woke” during any kind of situation or discussion. It’s mad annoying...

Tina being abused for 16 years and watching her parents abandoned her, yet she still found strength to survive should be the focus on her.
THIS!

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,053 7,013 9,249
Alleybux
Just watched it:

I think Tina repeated some of her family's patterns. It looks like she abandoned her kids from the Private Dancer era onwards & photos in recent years show her with her white husband's grandkids. That has to be hard for her family. I do think it's hard to be a woman in the zone at the top of your game & focused on the needs of kids/families, which is why so many of the top women in their fields are childless. To me, it's hard to think of being separated from your kids, even adult kids, and being overall happy.

She didn't seem at peace. She seemed to have the same affect as in the old videos where she would smile & laugh while talking about something really horrible.

I'm glad she acknowledged that the good outweighed the bad. In the USA, we have a long tradition of calling evil good or trying to convince ourselves that evil can be outweighed or overcome by other things. Sometimes, something is so bad that it just is what it is.

The part about the lifelong abandonment by her mom was heartbreaking. Her mom must've really been through some things & that trauma passed generationally. Women in that era had racial discrimination, gender discrimination & men who came home & abused them as an outlet for the abuse they received. They also had no reproductive control.

I would've liked to have seen more of her life. This seemed like the documentary version of the movie that we're already familiar with. HBO had the money & resources for a 2 parter if necessary to get it right. PBS is about to do a 6 parter on Hemmingway.

It's interesting to see this repeated pattern of black mega-celebrities caring for parents who were emotionally abusive - Tina, Tyler Perry, Oprah, etc. Tyler Perry teaches in his body of work that it's the duty of black women to care for their abusers.

I'm surprised that Tina Turner came out as so beloved. It could've been because she built a white audience before going public with Ike's abuse. There was a whole black man machine that would tear black women down for publicly accusing a black male celebrity of rape or abuse. Farrakhan was part of it. It was never about her experience or pain but about the industry trying to tear down a black man.

It sounded to me like he was twisting it into your behind.
Tina said the bad outweighed the good...actually...

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,053 7,013 9,249
Alleybux
Thanks. That's what I meant to say and the point I was trying to make - that it's rare for people to say the bad outweighed the good no matter how bad things are.
Agree wholeheartedly.

I learned a lot about her and see so many black women’s stories in her own.

sigh.

Pacemaker

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,622 320 60
Alleybux
Also, am I the only one who feels like she used the abuse as a publicity move to reinvent herself as a solo artist after the divorce? And continued to make money off it? It was sensational at the time and then she wrote a book and I’m sure was paid for the rights to her story for the movie. So it’s a double edged sword. Once you put that out there, it’s no longer yours/private. Of course she was going to be asked about it at every interview. She promoted it herself! I’m not buying her bellyaching about it in this documentary! You literally made money off that story!
I agree. She used her victomhood to come up then made her son's suffer by leaving them there. If he was so abusive and crazy why save yourself and leave the children and mess them up. That was selfish. I don't care what anyone says

Pacemaker

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,622 320 60
Alleybux
Tina has said on more than one occasion that rape and cake scene did NOT happen yet women want it to be real so bad. It was a Hollyweird filler storyline

Diamond Marie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,447 39 26
Alleybux
It’s heartbreaking to hear her lament that she wanted love and she wanted to love someone. I get that she’s talking about Romantic love but damn! What about the love for her children? Many parents say it’s transformative. I get it’s hard for someone with a traumatic childhood but it seems like she didn’t end the generational traumaAnd her children are a footnote in this documentary. Only the oldest’s voice is heard. What happened to the rest?

Her mother - that’s a stone cold killer! Wow. The expression on the mother’s face is the same as Ike’s when they were both asked about Tina. Blank! She got away from Ike but remained tethered to her mother! That’s the source and it needed to be cauterized.
There is a whole ESSAY about how similar Ike and Tina’s mother are and how the relationships psychologically intertwined, now I gotta go find it

Tina’s chapter starts on page 79.

I first read this years ago and was grossed out, but it makes muuuch more sense now in my 30s

Last edited:

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,646 1,522 996
Alleybux
There is a whole ESSAY about how similar Ike and Tina’s mother are and how the relationships psychologically intertwined, now I gotta go find it

Tina’s chapter starts on page 79.

I first read this years ago and was grossed out, but it makes muuuch more sense now in my 30s
Damn! I gotta read this because I was so struck by the similarity. I can’t find it online though. Ugh.

Diamond Marie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,447 39 26
Alleybux
Damn! I gotta read this because I was so struck by the similarity. I can’t find it online though. Ugh.
You can get access through that link. Just click on the search bar on that page and type in Tina where it says “preview this book”. It will get you inside of the book preview, then clear the search. Her entire chapter is not there maybe 5-6 pages.

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,146 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Finally got to watching this documentary. She’s lived such a complicated life and when you grow up in a chaotic home you either break the cycle or you repeat the cycle. I have family members who speak about hating their childhoods and how their parents raised them to this day, yet they can’t see they are doing the exact same as adults in their late 20’s and up. I think she just needed to get away completely from the life she lived when she moved to Europe and I can understand that. I thought this was a good overall documentary and she was honest she wasn’t around as much as she wanted to be as a mother. I also always felt her mother seemed a bit off, but seeing that interview she did made it clear she wasn’t emotionally connected to her daughter. Tina wasn’t able to learn how to love because she didn’t receive it growing up. She was winging it.

Diamond Marie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,447 39 26
Alleybux
Of course they do and celebs always throw hints as well. MJ was very blatant about it.
This happens to non-celebs too. Most people have a sixth sense about when they’re going to pass away and will say and do things that forecast it.

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,021 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
I watched it for the first time last night. I cried but I felt inspired. Going through everything she went through and then becoming a major star in her 40s! WOW! I know Ike was SICK when she crossed over. Did we ever discover the executive who called her the old N-word? I was HEATED!

Sidenote: From a storytelling perspective one of my favorite things about this documentary is how they used recent footage of their 1970s home, dilapidated and worn out, and then juxtaposed it with footage from when it was new. Brilliant.

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,149 10,635 3,127
Alleybux
Bump! I respect her I really do but I wish she would’ve broken the cycle. Her mom left her as a kid and she essentially did the same with her sons. Yes she helped raise them but was on the road a lot and when they entered their 20s, she up and left the country. Yes they were grown men but still you want to make sure the kids are ok mentally and emotionally too even if they are grown. Her sons really suffered