Quantcast

Healthy Relaxed Hair LSA Edition - 2020

Humbled

Ms. Queen.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,140 8,263 3,758
Alleybux
Hi Ladies. Where y’all at? Any new tips? Routines? Suggestions?
I'm still around, just make sure to keep your ends clipped and actual hair moisturized, keep your scalp clean from blockage and that includes not being heavy on your oils. I grew up thinking I had to put grease on my scalp, while it did help growing up, as an adult keeping my scalp clean and hair moisturized grew my hair just as much. During the Winter I may add some peppermint oil. Other than that I haven't greased or oil my scalp in a few years and my hair is down my back. It's all about your actual hair and having a clean scalp. Also as relaxed I only relax my hair a max of two times a year.

Barb E Cue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,371 172 17
Alleybux
Hi Ladies. Where y’all at? Any new tips? Routines? Suggestions?
I'm here too! I don't really use anything on my scalp except leave in conditioner and sometimes oil. I do however use grease along with oil moisturizer or leave in conditioner on the length of my hair. Weirdly enough, it isn't greasy and my hair does feel moisturized. I don't use a lot and I don't really use heat cause I'm lazy. I need to figure something out for the winter because it gets brutally cold where I am. I do wash my hair weekly, and I vary my deep conditioners between moisture and protein. On a daily basis I'll wear my hair pinned since it's neck length. My hair looks funny in the ponytails because of the length, but I do wear them occasionally. Idc girl lol. I'm probably gonna wear more wigs in the winter to keep my head warm and hair protected from the weather.

Humbled

Ms. Queen.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,140 8,263 3,758
Alleybux
I'm here too! I don't really use anything on my scalp except leave in conditioner and sometimes oil. I do however use grease along with oil moisturizer or leave in conditioner on the length of my hair. Weirdly enough, it isn't greasy and my hair does feel moisturized. I don't use a lot and I don't really use heat cause I'm lazy. I need to figure something out for the winter because it gets brutally cold where I am. I do wash my hair weekly, and I vary my deep conditioners between moisture and protein. On a daily basis I'll wear my hair pinned since it's neck length. My hair looks funny in the ponytails because of the length, but I do wear them occasionally. Idc girl lol. I'm probably gonna wear more wigs in the winter to keep my head warm and hair protected from the weather.
I wear box braids nearly the entire Winter season, I usually wear my braids for 3 weeks, wash and repeat. It gets brutal here too where I live, especially when I go back home during the holidays (PA).

QueenieB

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,092 843 475
Alleybux
HELP!!!

i relaxed my roots last night and realized some parts are slight underprocessed. When I washed it, my roots felt relaxed but as It dries, the roots are still kinky. I still have some premixed relaxer left. Should I relax my hair again or leave it as it is? I kinda don’t want to to avoid overprocessing my hair and washing it. No breakage so far, just normal shedding. I have a hair appointment on Sunday so either way my hair will be braided down. I dont like for my hair to be super straight so I don’t mind the kinky roots. What should I do?

Barb E Cue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,371 172 17
Alleybux
HELP!!!

i relaxed my roots last night and realized some parts are slight underprocessed. When I washed it, my roots felt relaxed but as It dries, the roots are still kinky. I still have some premixed relaxer left. Should I relax my hair again or leave it as it is? I kinda don’t want to to avoid overprocessing my hair and washing it. No breakage so far, just normal shedding. I have a hair appointment on Sunday so either way my hair will be braided down. What should I do?
Most people suggest to leave it as is and correct it on your next relaxer. If it's no lye relaxer that you premixed some time ago I don't suggest you use it.

QueenieB

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,092 843 475
Alleybux
Most people suggest to leave it as is and correct it on your next relaxer. If it's no lye relaxer that you premixed some time ago I don't suggest you use it.
Yes it was no lye ORS normal strength that came with the activator. I did this last night but you’re right I will leave it as is.

atljawga

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
50,887 1,070 347
Alleybux
I relaxed my hair Nov 2020 after being natural for about 7 years. And honestly I’ll never go back, I’ll be relaxing until I’m 80. Not having to spend 3 days for a friggen wash day is amazing. And fairy knots and tangles no more.
this part. just relaxed my hair last month and I’ve never felt more ease with my hair. I’m actually looking forward to wash day! It would take me days to detangle, wash, and style my hair when natural. And no matter how gentle or careful I was, it would still be matted, tangled and knotted. I dreaded wash days :sob:

My hair has been fine so far re. breakage. Going to do an Olaplex and protein treatment today. Hoping my hair will actually get healthier (it got so thin while natural bc of all the tangling and breakage).

I went back and forth for so long about getting a relaxer (literal years). If it fails then I’ll just chop again, but I hope I found the solution to my hair woes. My hair’s been kicking my ass all my life :-(

Barb E Cue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,371 172 17
Alleybux
this part. just relaxed my hair last month and I’ve never felt more ease with my hair. I’m actually looking forward to wash day! It would take me days to detangle, wash, and style my hair when natural. And no matter how gentle or careful I was, it would still be matted, tangled and knotted. I dreaded wash days :sob:

My hair has been fine so far re. breakage. Going to do an Olaplex and protein treatment today. Hoping my hair will actually get healthier (it got so thin while natural bc of all the tangling and breakage).

I went back and forth for so long about getting a relaxer (literal years). If it fails then I’ll just chop again, but I hope I found the solution to my hair woes. My hair’s been kicking my ass all my life :-(
Welcome to the dark side lol. I hope it works out for you.

tinyddancer

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,301 29 27
Alleybux
This is the longest I've stretched my hair in-between relaxers in a while. I think I'm going to go to 17 weeks and then do my touch up.
I used to get severe matting that caused me to lose a lot of hair anytime I was 12+ weeks post relaxer. Detangling my hair better during wash day and not using as much protein conditioner has helped me the most.
I've been washing weekly or bi-weekly and just leave my hair completely alone in a protective style during the week.

QueenieB

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,092 843 475
Alleybux
This is the longest I've stretched my hair in-between relaxers in a while. I think I'm going to go to 17 weeks and then do my touch up.
I used to get severe matting that caused me to lose a lot of hair anytime I was 12+ weeks post relaxer. Detangling my hair better during wash day and not using as much protein conditioner has helped me the most.
I've been washing weekly or bi-weekly and just leave my hair completely alone in a protective style during the week.
How do ya go long weeks with touch up relaxers? My stylist warned me of that. The line of demarcation between new growth and relaxed hair can cause extreme breakage.

Barb E Cue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,371 172 17
Alleybux
How do ya go long weeks with touch up relaxers? My stylist warned me of that. The line of demarcation between new growth and relaxed hair can cause extreme breakage.
I do regular light protein treatments if I'm not in a protective style.

Honey Pot

Feelin The Glow
Reaction score
Reactions
1,645 8 26
Alleybux
Thank you everyone in this thread, going to relax after 2 years of being natural on Friday and these tips will help me so much, thank you all!!!

tinyddancer

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,301 29 27
Alleybux
My issue was protein overload. I thought deep conditioning with protein every other week was beneficial for my hair. My hair is so much more manageable now that I focus on moisture and just do light protein treatments. I've seen some youtubers/influencers go 20+ weeks with no issues

Barb E Cue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,371 172 17
Alleybux
I have those both but my thing is how often should i use it? I dont want protein overload!
It depends on your hair needs. I personally alternate between moisture and protein. Protein one wash day and moisture the other. Tip: If you use heat frequently (1x week or more), then you're gonna want more protein in your regimen.

Snickerd00dle

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,764 99 7
Alleybux
View attachment 1797156

Just got back from my virgin relaxer appointment! All smiles. I was natural for almost 5 years; the last 2.5 of those years I had microlocs. I spent 2 months combing them out up until less than 2 weeks ago. The growth! I got a much needed trim. I just wanted to look my age (baby faced) and not spend so much time on hair. Cheers to being free to make our own choices! P.s. old schoolstylists are my fave. I wish I could recommend her to everybody! So gentle.

UPDATE: My hair started breaking off at the demarcation line so badly that I big chopped and returned natural 5 months after this post on Jan 7, 2021. After so much manipulation from combing out microlocs, my hair was too weak to relax in the first place but I didn't know better and apparently, neither did the stylist. Yikes. After everything I've decided to remain natural. Be careful, ladies!

QueenieB

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,092 843 475
Alleybux
UPDATE: My hair started breaking off at the demarcation line so badly that I big chopped and returned natural 5 months after this post on Jan 7, 2021. After so much manipulation from combing out microlocs, my hair was too weak to relax in the first place but I didn't know better and apparently, neither did the stylist. Yikes. After everything I've decided to remain natural. Be careful, ladies!
Thats what I said and told from a stylist that that would happen.

BreannaBarnes

F*CK THE RULES!
Reaction score
Reactions
88,926 6,594 611
Alleybux
After dealing with my natural hair for almost three years new growth is nothing to me. I only relax my hair twice a year.

lover86

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,828 658 141
Alleybux
I need to start getting my hair trimmed on a regular basis. I want to learn how to do rollersets too.

lover86

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,828 658 141
Alleybux
I might relax my hair in a couple of weeks. I am running out of ideas for no heat styles.

circadian93

Michael "Cakesoap" Jackson
Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
Since relaxing my hair I cant find a good edge control that will lay my edges. I've tried edge booster and shine and jam but in a couple of hour my edges are just oily and frizzy.

Any recs?

opiumbaby

Reaction score
Reactions
10,155 529 58
Alleybux
Since relaxing my hair I cant find a good edge control that will lay my edges. I've tried edge booster and shine and jam but in a couple of hour my edges are just oily and frizzy.

Any recs?
i like the she is bomb collection edge control, you can find it on amazon or your beauty supply store

circadian93

Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
Do yall use heat protectant when straightening your hair?
Also do yall moisturize and seal your relaxed hair?

I figured since I wear my hair straight most of the time and it's chemically relaxed what is the heat protectant for? Can relaxed hair get heat damaged?

Also I stopped moisturizing and sealing when I was natural and my hair felt much better. I tend to stick to a leave in before blow drying and a little bit a serum. I only use oils on my scalp before wash day.

bonitaapplebum

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,645 1,906 312
Alleybux
Do yall use heat protectant when straightening your hair?
Also do yall moisturize and seal your relaxed hair?

I figured since I wear my hair straight most of the time and it's chemically relaxed what is the heat protectant for? Can relaxed hair get heat damaged?

Also I stopped moisturizing and sealing when I was natural and my hair felt much better. I tend to stick to a leave in before blow drying and a little bit a serum. I only use oils on my scalp before wash day.
I use olaplex 7 as a heat protectant. A little goes a long way and it doesn't weight down hair.
I use So Much Moisture from As I am. Doesn't weigh down my hair either. Half a pump is enough per section for me.

bonitaapplebum

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,645 1,906 312
Alleybux
What relaxers are you all using?
81FRR5XtJ5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

speaches

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Hey all, pretty new here. I'm not new to relaxers (was relaxed from 15-24) but I am new to healthy hair. I looked through all of my old pictures and realized I never made it past shoulder length. Now that I've restarted my relaxer journey, i'm trying to learn how to retain length... any suggestions?

bonitaapplebum

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,645 1,906 312
Alleybux
Hey all, pretty new here. I'm not new to relaxers (was relaxed from 15-24) but I am new to healthy hair. I looked through all of my old pictures and realized I never made it past shoulder length. Now that I've restarted my relaxer journey, i'm trying to learn how to retain length... any suggestions?
Moisturize, keep ends healthy and trimmed. Make sure your iron levels are where it needs to be.

circadian93

Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
Um how do yall deal with new growth. I'm going into my 4th month stretch and holy smokes. I'll be getting a touch up soon but what do yall do?!

elbi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,762 190 72
Alleybux
I have never found stretching beneficial,i prefer my hair full with body than long and thin.i loose too much hair with stretching so i stopped. I touch up every 8weeks.max9
Redken acidic bonding concentrate is goat especially for ends.i use morrocan oil brown lid mask,for my second month i alternate that weekly with theorie hair products i use various.Rich conditioner and shampoo from the 5th week is beneficial.

News Alley

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

Top Bottom