HELP!! How Do I Sell My Furniture??

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
Hey all.

The lease for my apartment is about to be up soon and I'm about to make a big move and leave my city for another one. This is all very new to me so bear with me here.

Since I need to finish paying off my rent and I don't have anywhere to store my furniture, I figured my best option is to sell everything!!

But....how do I go about this? I don't want to set up on craigslist because it's only me here and I don't want to bring a suspicious person to my location.

Has anybody sold their furniture before online? How did you do it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

RLB X

I speak when I have something to say
Reaction score
Reactions
27,722 366 399
Alleybux
I sold mine on letgo, but that involves allowing people into your home. But I only let them come during the day when others were home.

~whew...

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,919 533 244
Alleybux
There are some apps you can use to sell things Offerup, Letgo. and Declutr for tech.

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,180 7,126 2,872
Alleybux
Furnishare is a good site.

But beware, they don’t take Ikea furniture. No one takes Ikea. You literally can’t give it away.

inmydreams

Tom’s baby mama
Reaction score
Reactions
193,166 5,097 2,469
Alleybux
Do you have a trusted male friend? Maybe you can have someone be there with you when someone stops by.

Surf

Your Slut Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
72,361 6,568 8,536
Alleybux
letgo is a great option like that font said there's another app called 5 mile and facebook has a marketplace now last time i checked

be careful and be alert for creeps and who you let in your home

SoyTres

Medium Risk Offender - Monthly Monitoring Required
Reaction score
Reactions
205,858 8,387 2,787
Alleybux
I did LetGo. I would suggest get a rental storage with a free month and move your stuff there.

Then I would meet the people there where security measures are in place.

I don't trust people in my home bc once they pay you, they can send some one back to get the money later.

kboogie55

It Really Is Like That
Reaction score
Reactions
74,229 2,583 247
Alleybux
I did LetGo. I would suggest get a rental storage with a free month and move your stuff there.

I don't trust people in my home bc once they pay you, they can send some one back to get the money later.

I did LetGo and Offer Up. We were moving so I let them come to the house (we moved the following week).

I have to say it was a little nerve wrecking though because you would get folks asking for your address before even saying they were interested in the item.

I always made sure my husband was home too when they came to pick up.

I agree with renting a storage unit if you can if you're not moving right away.

doeja

Thanos was right.
Reaction score
Reactions
219,900 29,362 1,005
Alleybux
In addition to the tips already given:

Try nextdoor. People have to use their home address to even make an account so that might cut down on the weirdos.

When you're communicating with potential buyers, make it seem like it's your husband or boyfriend who will be home doing the trade off. Instead of saying "you can come pick up at..." say "my hubby will be home at..."

Schedule pick up for times when the most people are going to be home in your building (after work, weekend mornings).

Move the stuff as close to the door as you can and find a way to prop the front door open. When the buyer arrives, prop the door open right away.

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
In addition to the tips already given:

Try nextdoor. People have to use their home address to even make an account so that might cut down on the weirdos.

When you're communicating with potential buyers, make it seem like it's your husband or boyfriend who will be home doing the trade off. Instead of saying "you can come pick up at..." say "my hubby will be home at..."

Schedule pick up for times when the most people are going to be home in your building (after work, weekend mornings).

Move the stuff as close to the door as you can and find a way to prop the front door open. When the buyer arrives, prop the door open right away.
Wow thank you so much!

So I'm selling a couch, a table set, a mini fridge, a lamp, a TV, aaaaand a coffee table. Does the buyer bring their own means of transportation? Because I can't afford to get a U-Haul or anything.

cozy

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,485 158 125
Alleybux
When I was moving I posted my furniture on offerup and letgo. I had a few people show interest but none actually bought anything. I ended up donating everything to the salvation army. Donations are tax deductible and they also do free pickups.

doeja

Thanos was right.
Reaction score
Reactions
219,900 29,362 1,005
Alleybux
Wow thank you so much!

So I'm selling a couch, a table set, a mini fridge, a lamp, a TV, aaaaand a coffee table. Does the buyer bring their own means of transportation? Because I can't afford to get a U-Haul or anything.
Just specify pick up only. Also, you might want to list the items separately (except any sets)... it's going to be harder to find one buyer who wants everything. Make sure you also specify cash only so someone doesn't try to give you a check that bounces when you go to deposit it.

cozy

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,485 158 125
Alleybux
Wow thank you so much!

See my post above, a big reason why none of my sales panned out was because potential buyers wanted me to also pay for delivery. In your advertisement you can put delivery not included, but some will still try to get you to pay as a negotiation tactic.

Also, If you decide to use offerup or letgo make the asking price double what you would like to sell it for. I noticed that people automatically offered half my asking price when inquiring about buying.

hanonymous

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
13,788 797 532
Alleybux
Hey all.

The lease for my apartment is about to be up soon and I'm about to make a big move and leave my city for another one. This is all very new to me so bear with me here.

Since I need to finish paying off my rent and I don't have anywhere to store my furniture, I figured my best option is to sell everything!!

But....how do I go about this? I don't want to set up on craigslist because it's only me here and I don't want to bring a suspicious person to my location.

Has anybody sold their furniture before online? How did you do it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance guys!
The same way you sell dope! Stand on the corner slang it!

Purplecharm

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,063 1,188 796
Alleybux
Unless you need the money to help with your move, I would suggest that you contact a charity to pick up your furniture. You’ll be able to write off the donation on your taxes.

I have tried selling furniture on CL in the past and it never worked out. People are flaky as hell. They would email/call but none of them would follow through. They would say they were coming but never show up. Very frustrating.

Princefanxo

At the wrecka stow
Reaction score
Reactions
136,412 1,887 1,059
Alleybux
People are cheap and they don't want to pay for sh!t. You probably won't even get half of what you paid for it. You'll need to buy everything over again so just take it with you.

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
Unless you need the money to help with your move, I would suggest that you contact a charity to pick up your furniture. You’ll be able to write off the donation on your taxes.

I have tried selling furniture on CL in the past and it never worked out. People are flaky as hell. They would email/call but none of them would follow through. They would say they were coming but never show up. Very frustrating.
That's unfortunate. I NEED to sell this furniture though because it's the only way I'll be able to finish paying off rent. I don't want to move to another city with a broken lease on my record.
People are cheap and they don't want to pay for sh!t. You probably won't even get half of what you paid for it. You'll need to buy everything over again so just take it with you.
Can't. When I say I'm moving I mean I'm moving to an entirely different state, miles away. All of this big stuff? I gotta get rid of.

This is all hand me down furniture anyway. I'm not selling anything over 200.

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux

The problem is that I don't have enough money to get a rental storage for this stuff nor a U-Haul or anything of that sort to move it to storage. The only way I can do this is:

A. Invite someone over to my house to come pick it up or

B. Go through an online store that takes care of transportation.

SoyTres

Medium Risk Offender - Monthly Monitoring Required
Reaction score
Reactions
205,858 8,387 2,787
Alleybux
The problem is that I don't have enough money to get a rental storage for this stuff nor a U-Haul or anything of that sort to move it to storage. The only way I can do this is:

A. Invite someone over to my house to come pick it up or

B. Go through an online store that takes care of transportation.

Actually, we used a storage company who had a free move in and first free month.

The only thing we paid for was the $100 cash deposit for the truck that was given back the same day, $10 for gas and $10 for a lock. We then turned in the 30 day notice the day we moved in.

So we spent about $20 total. I don't recommend selling out of your home unless you will be moving immediately after selling. In addition, there will be people who do not show. So the risk of giving your address to people you never even meet is high. If you can sell via Facebook or through family, you atleast will have a way of knowing who the person coming to your home is.

Either way, be safe!

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
Actually, we used a storage company who had a free move in and first free month.

The only thing we paid for was the $100 cash deposit for the truck that was given back the same day, $10 for gas and $10 for a lock. We then turned in the 30 day notice the day we moved in.

So we spent about $20 total. I don't recommend selling out of your home unless you will be moving immediately after selling. In addition, there will be people who do not show. So the risk of giving your address to people you never even meet is high. If you can sell via Facebook or through family, you atleast will have a way of knowing who the person coming to your home is.

Either way, be safe!
See that $100 right there...
giphy.gif

Baybay when I say I'm broke I mean $20 is looking like 5 TV dinner meals over here.

Thank you for the info though. Unfortunately me and my family are not on good terms so I can't use their help. I am moving out in exactly a month so the timing won't be an issue. I'm thinking about going through AptDeco rn though. It might be my best option.