Quantcast

Help me NOT regret this computer science major?

W I L L O W

Not home yet
Reaction score
Reactions
241,791 11,071 2,900
Alleybux
Hey, have you thought about working for the government in either a Cybersecurity or analyst role perhaps? I've heard the work-life balance for working for the government is excellent and how you can't work over a certain amount of hours for many. That's what I'm trying to go into after I graduate with my Computer Science degree. The field definitely needs more black women, how is your career going now? I see that you've posted this in 2018, are you now in your senior year or have you graduated from college? :)
Hey thanks for checking in! I greatly appreciate it! Yes,I'm looking more into cyber security (I'm a junior now. I don't have much interest in basic computer coding. However,I haven't been doing so good on interviews (havent gotten many interviews either) despite having experience in IT. I don't know what else to do...

AfroThunder

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,114 331 229
Alleybux
Also some times these professors go way too fast teaching through material and don't take the time out for students to actually understand what they ate teaching or the subjects they're teaching or how they all tie in together.

So if it feels like you're lost or that you're behind in a class don't get discouraged. A lot of times its the teaching that sucks. And once you find an actual quality teacher, you'll start to really understand things and you'll see how the previous teachers were actually really bad at teaching what Computer Science is or what Software Engineering is etc.

AfroThunder

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,114 331 229
Alleybux
I know. He kept saying if we needed help just call him. Half the time I was trying to decrypt what he was saying cause his accent was MAD thick Indian.

This is the main problem I feel with the school's. They hire teachers that can't teach or teachers that you can barely understand when speaking.

W I L L O W

Not home yet
Reaction score
Reactions
241,791 11,071 2,900
Alleybux
Also some times these professors go way too fast teaching through material and don't take the time out for students to actually understand what they ate teaching or the subjects they're teaching or how they all tie in together.

So if it feels like you're lost or that you're behind in a class don't get discouraged. A lot of times its the teaching that sucks. And once you find an actual quality teacher, you'll start to really understand things and you'll see how the previous teachers were actually really bad at teaching what Computer Science is or what Software Engineering is etc.
That is honestly true. Or they feel like you're incompetent if you don't catch on quickly. Everyone feels like a genius cause they can code a few words together. It's so tiresome. Everything can quickly become a sh!t measuring contest.

RepressedThot

Hoeness Deleted
Reaction score
Reactions
113,969 3,566 645
Alleybux
Does your school break up Computer Science and Information Technology into separate programs? My school has Computer Science, Information Technology, and Business Analytics & Information Technology... all under different academic schools. I was told Info Tech was the easiest then BA&IT and then Comp Sci. Maybe look for other variations that may have an easier course load or focus on topics more of your strength.

But I strongly advise going to a tutor who'll help you with you understanding and completing your homework. I found them extremely helpful.

That's why I changed majors from Comp Sci to Information Systems/Business Analytics.
I still had to take basic programming classes & Discret Math but it wasn't on steroids like Comp Sci.

I love to code & I enjoy it more when I'm learning on my own and creating projects for the fun of it & not because I have a class deadline to meet. Shyt was stressful

AfroThunder

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,114 331 229
Alleybux
That is honestly true. Or they feel like you're incompetent if you don't catch on quickly. Everyone feels like a genius cause they can code a few words together. It's so tiresome. Everything can quickly become a sh!t measuring contest.

That's a fact and a lot of the time the people with the arrogance are the ones that aren't that good in the first place. I see all types of typos in code and other things

Buoyancy

Laugh, it’s funny
Reaction score
Reactions
145,492 6,460 2,541
Alleybux
This is an old thread but I want to say I completely disagree. I don’t have a passion for computer science, but it’s my major and I’m getting good grades. I see it as a means to an end. The thing with computer science is that the learning curve is tough. As another font pointed out it starts out hard and gets easier as time goes on. With most other degrees it’s the opposite, therefore a lot of people end up discouraged and feel too stupid for the major.
Sure, just wait til you try to use it

LollyLoo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,812 670 493
Alleybux
Are you taking a summer class? Summer classes are typically accelerated because of the shortened semester. I made this mistake last summer and had an assignment due every 3 days for my computer class. It was crazy challenging but I really got a lot out of it.

What helped me was attending virtual office hours with my professor. Helped give me a personalized understanding of the topics and get the kinks out of my assignments. You might want to consider this strategy. Good luck!

Edit; also I heard Python is really beginner friendly

LLCoolFae

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
12,790 310 75
Alleybux
Thabks so much for the link. C++ has a lot to take in for a beginner. I don't even think my c++ teacher is good at c++. Just the other day he realized "function" was not a term used as a declaration in c++ but for python.

Comp sci professors are typically there because they understand the content well, not because they can explain it well. Like other fonts, I switched majors to analytics. At my first internship I worked alongside a lot of CS majors without being one myself.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,069 56 13
Alleybux
In other classes you are taught. In computer science you teach yourself, if you can't handle that look for a mentor/tutor or change your major.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,069 56 13
Alleybux
Im sticking to the major but pursuing another field in tech.

Glad to hear you are doing well in school still.
giphy.gif

MelinaRollins

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,265 1,053 609
Alleybux
Comp sci professors are typically there because they understand the content well, not because they can explain it well. Like other fonts, I switched majors to analytics. At my first internship I worked alongside a lot of CS majors without being one myself.
Things I wish I knew before getting into CS part.2!

Sazzie

oh here go hell come
Reaction score
Reactions
34,158 421 137
Alleybux
Honestly OP if you truly don't want to do CS leave it and go back to something that you like and comfortable with. You can always change CS to be a minor or teach yourself how to code in your own time, like a lot of self taught software engineers (who mostly got their non IT degrees).

EDIT: I see your updates and that this was an OLD thread. I hope you're doing better now with your change!