Quantcast

Help! My curry is all watery & tasteless need thick vindaloo

greyrainyskies

Lil Exotical's Mother
Reaction score
Reactions
11,683 25 40
Alleybux
So I spent the whole weekend trynna make lamb vindaloo & in the past my curries never turned out okay not spicy enough not thick enough.

I tried to make this lamb vindaloo [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3kulJRzGY]Lamb Vindaloo - YouTube[/ame]

but mines was bland. Any tips?

Or any other spicey you tube recipes, not as complicated?

I know I could of added flour for thickening but its not authentic.

I need spicy non complicated recipes

Sharap Its Ova

"Mi ah cougar. Mi ah jaguar. Mi ah every guar"
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
71,887 3,310 3,201
Alleybux
Don't add water. The meat has it's own. Personally I'm not too keen on Indian curries. I only go to one Indian Restaurant and the food is good.

Remy Newport

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
298,653 6,108 4,258
Alleybux
Add potatoes for thickness, or even cornstarch but I like potatoes. As far the spiciness, add more spice, preferably a scotch bonnet pepper.

Reaction score
Reactions
14,991 40 20
Alleybux
I googled

Thin or runny curry is often the result of using unthawed frozen vegetables or adding too much cooking liquid. Attempts to tone down a too-spicy taste with coconut milk can remove some of its heat, but also cause the sauce to become thin. While thin curry is undesirable, it is not a reason to panic. There is more than one way to thicken curry and in the process restore its thick, saucy texture.
Step 1

Turn your stove burner to medium high, remove the cover from the saucepan and let the liquid simmer just below boiling point for about 5 minutes without stirring. Simmering curry without additional thickening ingredients allows excess liquid to evaporate into the atmosphere and is a good choice for sauce that is only slightly thin. Watch the sauce closely during this time and, if necessary, adjust the heat to ensure the sauce does not boil.
Asian Women for Dating Here to Meet 16940 Asian Women! Asian Women Singles Seek True Love. www.Asiamatchonline.com
Sponsored Links

Step 2

Stir 1 tbsp. of arrowroot into the saucepan for each cup of liquid. Arrowroot is a flavor-neutral thickener that works much like cornstarch. Turn your stove burner to medium-high and stir constantly until the sauce starts to thicken. This method is a good choice for sauce that is thin but not runny.
Step 3

Heat a thickening paste consisting of 2 tbsp. of flour and 2 tbsp. of melted, unsalted butter for each cup of curry sauce in a separate saucepan until the butter just starts to turn brown. Pour in 1 cup of the thin curry sauce and mix well. Add this mixture to the curry sauce, bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the burner heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Use this method if your sauce is thin to the point of being runny.

Tips and Warnings

• Your goal is to thicken the sauce without changing its flavor. While you can use cornstarch as a substitute for arrowroot, it has an aftertaste you may find unacceptable. You can also thicken curry by stirring in 1 to 2 tbsp. of tomato puree. Keep in mind that unless your curry already includes tomatoes, using tomato puree will change its taste.
Things You'll Need

• Spoon
  • Arrowroot
  • Flour
  • Butter, unsalted
  • Saucepan
References

Article reviewed by Will McCahill Last updated on: Jul 22, 2011

Also, from my own experiences, Tandoori powder is amazing for taste

greyrainyskies

Lil Exotical's Mother
Reaction score
Reactions
11,683 25 40
Alleybux
In all fairness, that recipe says to add sugar & vinegar & I had none in my kitchen so I skipped I wonder if thats what made the difference.

Also, the only peppers I found at the grocery store were the long & skinny ones, they were red & I learnt color aint sh*t, can be red but not hot in the past I have had roundish very hot.

Thanks ladies any more tips?

Reaction score
Reactions
14,991 40 20
Alleybux
Scotch bonnet peppers will have you shitting fire for a week.

When you do the initial sauteeing of onions and adding spices etc, grind some hot pepper into a paste and add some hot pepper sauce into it and add it to the onions and then carry on with your curry

Reaction score
Reactions
1,738 1
Alleybux
So I spent the whole weekend trynna make lamb vindaloo & in the past my curries never turned out okay not spicy enough not thick enough.

I tried to make this lamb vindaloo Lamb Vindaloo - YouTube

but mines was bland. Any tips?

Or any other spicey you tube recipes, not as complicated?

I know I could of added flour for thickening but its not authentic.

I need spicy non complicated recipes

LOL, well there goes the whole theory of "Don't worry everything curry"

chirish1025

Byeeeeeeeeeee
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
make a slurry (cornstarch and water) to thicken and play with the seasonings for spice. I would love up curry recipes just to see what spices are used that adapt that to what I have spice wise

GOODY

Love your enemies
Reaction score
Reactions
74,972 41 45
Alleybux
I love Indian curry. I'm not big on heat though.

And be careful with those scotch bonnet peppers.

I remember once this white chef was making some sort of jerk glaze for his pork (or lamb), anyway that fool threw in like 4 whole scotch bonnets into the food processor thinking he could handle it...well, he soon found out! :dead:

The seeds are deadly so be careful with those.

Remy Newport

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
298,653 6,108 4,258
Alleybux
Don't be afraid of the scotch bonnet pepper. It imparts a wonderful flavor and you can control the heat. Use one pepper and poke it with a fork, extrac it when done cooking. Or if you like heat then dice it up, seeds and all. It's the seeds that make it hot.

Lots of people eat this pepper without lighting their behinds on fire.lol

EgoTrippin

Nikki Rosa
Reaction score
Reactions
31,296 20 8
Alleybux

Waterlover

Meek-ri Marvey
Reaction score
Reactions
45,865 1,501 1,261
Alleybux
Next time you want authentic tasting curry, you must have

Authentic East Indian curry or purchase the spices separately (cloves, fenugreek leaves and seeds, cumin seeds:green and black, etc) and burn them alone in the pan. The West Indian curry will NOT do and will impart a different flavor on the finished dish flavor.
Use Indian chili pepper: Google Image Result for http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/493729/493729,1258508161,1/stock-photo-hot-chili-peppers-high-resolution-image-of-indian-chili-peppers-in-a-row-subject-isolated-on-41125807.jpg scotch bonnet pepper. Again the latter will impart a different flavor.
Purchase authentic cumin seeds and use the color they specify.
You will always have to use more spice than they specify.
Purchase Gram/Basam flour like someone else posted. THIS IS the KEY to that thick paste you desire.
if you need to add extra water, add it by the TB to 1/4 cup. Mix it and let it cook a bit before adding more. You will know by eye how much more you need.
Get some GARAM MASALA this stuff is the truth. It is only sold in an East Indian Store. Its super cheap and will last a long time.

I LOVE Indian curry dishes and my dishes did not come out right until I went down to the East Indian section of Manhattan to get my spices.

hood_farmer

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,782 355 29
Alleybux
Seeds of Change makes about three curry sauces you can buy right out of the store (to keep in cabinet for emergencies). Also if you don't want to use flour as a thickener, okra is a good way to add a unique veggie and get the thickens going too...

Milannia

#MJ INNOCENT
Reaction score
Reactions
4,827 114 46
Alleybux

I prefer to use curry powder (not paste) when making my curries and I've found a really good organic one.

I spice up my curries by adding fresh ginger, garlic cloves and habanero (extremely hot!!) or chilli peppers to it. You can also use those ginger and garlic purees that come in those tubes.

To thicken my curries I add the above ingredients, half a medium size onion (the other half I dice) to a blender or food processor and use that as a sauce base. I also brown large chunks of potato and after simmering, it ends up thickening the curry. I sometimes add coconut cream (the cream that comes as a solid block not liquid in a can) if I am going for a Caribbean flavor.

If all else fails try Pataks brand of curry sauces they are pretty error proof.

greyrainyskies

Lil Exotical's Mother
Reaction score
Reactions
11,683 25 40
Alleybux
UPDATE: I finally got it right through practice & error.

I hope this helps someone out here:

1) To thicken I use a blender & mix either raw onions & Indian spices. Dr Oz always talking about Tumeric spices so I heap that sucker up to avoid aging & add color

2) Again instead of using flour to thicken I use a vegi eg cooked Brocolli, etc but bottom line make vegis a part of the blender mix.

3) Spices: When you go grocery shopping, not all spices are equally potent.You are better off using one scotch bonnet than 10baby spices. I was so uneducated in this. I was using a super mild spice. First one I used was long & thick. Thats a baby spice, Next to that you have short & thin even spicier. The most spiciest is not even long but roundish like & is called scott bonnet. One max is enough & if you use more do not blend it use it raw.

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT: My next curry question wood be how to tenderize meat? I read somewhere to use pineapple or papaya juice. I tried didn't work.

Oh one more thing I bought corriander(sp?) in a pot & I trimmed off the leaves & tried to wet the roots with water its been a while & its not growing? TIPS?

PS: If this makes you hungry, ask & you shall be given I might post pics weekend.

chefblaise

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Curry should always be cooked first to bring out the flavor, and also because it becomes impure during shipping & handling it carries micro bacterias, vermin waste and insect larvae, that is the reason why some people have stomach ailments after eating curried foods. Also It should not be added to cooked foods to season to enhance flavoring. The proper way to curry a dish is to saute the powdered curry in a fat or oil or butter till browned resulting making a paste and adding it to your meat fish or chicken dish and then cooking the combined ingredients. Potato flakes is the best thickener for curry dishes because it stabilizes better than water in a dish

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom