Quantcast

HER is killing R& B she’s a threat in every category!

TennisKing

King Of All Tennis
Reaction score
Reactions
265,292 7,058 6,463
Alleybux
So she’s over the whole hiding her identity thing ?

Well, she had to stop doing the hiding thing because the gimmick wasn't working. While talented and able to play multiple instruments, sing decent live, and write her own music she still wasn't fully connecting with the public. She needed a push which is why she signed up with Alicia Keys old management. They got HER favor with the right award shows and is now trying to make people interested in her talent.

I have nothing against H.E.R. I think she's talented but something is amiss. I don't know what it is because all the elements seem to be there but I don't feel like she's relatable enough in her music and I also feel like a lot of her stuff sounds the same.

Deepshallow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,170 373 392
Alleybux
Well, she had to stop doing the hiding thing because the gimmick wasn't working. While talented and able to play multiple instruments, sing decent live, and write her own music she still wasn't fully connecting with the public. She needed a push which is why she signed up with Alicia Keys old management. They got HER favor with the right award shows and is now trying to make people interested in her talent.

I have nothing against H.E.R. I think she's talented but something is amiss. I don't know what it is because all the elements seem to be there but I don't feel like she's relatable enough in her music and I also feel like a lot of her stuff sounds the same.
I said that when I saw her live it was like she was signing music she really wasn’t connected to it just preforming which ion mind but maybe she’s on meds and they make her so laid back sh!t mine do lol. I love her music tho I can relate but I’m in not into prostitutes, stripper hood and pimp music so she’s just what I needed. I’m talking about her old eps!

I think Billie Ellish is a try hard I cant stand her!

Last edited:

PhooeyNewton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
173,598 8,414 8,247
Alleybux
I said this about Janelle Monae’s artistry and was dragged. However, I’m very happy to see Janelle booked in some of her early branding endorsements. It’s refreshing to see her skin and hair be booked for Pepsi and Cover Girl like Brandy was. Can’t be mad at their plugs lol.
I could see that about Janelle but she was legit bringing in something wholly different and fresh. The tuxedos with her mix of her pin-up style was truly fresh. Then she switched it up.

Plus, her music style was unique. In the age of early Flo-Rida, she came out rapping and singing during a time such was taboo even for the men. Janelle Monae had something new to offer.

In contrast with H.E.R., everything she's done I can find at least 10 more girls on my iTunes playlist doing the same the vibe but executing it better.

The one key difference with her is that she is a multi-instrumentalist. I will always give her props for her talent.

However, musical theory is only half of the battle. You still have to figure out to sell a compelling story to the listener.

Deepshallow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,170 373 392
Alleybux
I could see that about Janelle but she was legit bringing in something wholly different and fresh. The tuxedos with her mix of her pin-up style was truly fresh. Then she switched it up.

Plus, her music style was unique. In the age of early Flo-Rida, she came out rapping and singing during a time such was taboo even for the men. Janelle Monae had something new to offer.

In contrast with H.E.R., everything she's done I can find at least 10 more girls on my iTunes playlist doing the same the vibe but executing it better.

The one key difference with her is that she is a multi-instrumentalist. I will always give her props for her talent.

However, musical theory is only half of the battle. You still have to figure out to sell a compelling story to the listener.
I dont think u find a girl who can play instruments better, make adult none ratchet Sounding music or rap better than her! She has flow too these young girls who shole not Swaeetie!

Akimbo

Cheverly Remembrance Week: April 15-21
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
332,631 20,845 4,108
Alleybux
I love HER and she’s fantastic in concert. She and ChloexHalle are my faves among the younguns.

Connie Flemming

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,683 2,922 1,876
Alleybux
Grow up music is different than hood bops there’s no telling how many of those ppl on the Grammies “she knew” when she was young & how much they paid for her Grammies. They gave boo’d up a Grammy. I like Ella Mai but that song is trash.
Billboard & the Grammies are payola hand me outs to the biggest amount paid by the label! I felt
She should have gotten 3 Grammies that year imo!

Yo when Janelle came out With that tuxedo, I sat up straight. I was a teen, so I can't speak on previous generations impactful artists, but for me at the time I felt was the first time an artist had an image that was truly breaking the mold. I always think what her career would have been like had she maintained that lane creatively. She don't feel the same to right now tho.

Prosecutor014

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,761 2,803 930
Alleybux
Her music is calming and for adults so if u looking for ratchet hood bops or upbeat fast tunes all the rest of them are making those tunes but yes she does put me In a calm state but her rapping is energy!

But weren’t you hating her not too long ago because she wasn’t a lesbian ??

Ambi D

Fishnets, Black panty hose.
Reaction score
Reactions
337,464 7,601 1,811
Alleybux
Meh...
Very talented but her music is generic and boring. It’s standard big concert jam band r&b down to the dated processed guitar effects and bouncy toms. Obviously, she’s very well connected in the industry.

I don’t begrudge her though. She just sounds like some middle aged A&R’s idea of “good” R&B. Nothing about her feels organic or raw. To me, a 23 year old making something akin to adult contemporary music is not really interesting. There’s just nothing innovative about it.

I am happy to see a black woman playing guitar on TV though. So there’s that. I guess that’s supposed to satisfy me but it doesn’t.

Last edited:

Deepshallow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,170 373 392
Alleybux
But weren’t you hating her not too long ago because she wasn’t a lesbian ??
Yes and lesbians we’re hating on me the other day because I was listening to her music but my gf sings like her a little bit so I’m over it. I hate picturing she’s signing about Skip ugh but I like Damage but my gays not so much! Let me enjoy this last single!

Last edited:

TennisKing

King Of All Tennis
Reaction score
Reactions
265,292 7,058 6,463
Alleybux
I said that when I saw her live it was like she was signing music she really wasn’t connected to it just preforming which ion mind but maybe she’s on meds and they make her so laid back sh!t mind do lol. I love her music tho I can relate but I’m in not into prostitutes, stripper hood and pimp music so she’s just what I needed.

I think Billie Ellish is a try hard I can stand her!

She tried to keep up the mystique thing by cutting down the lights at her concerts and hiding behind sun glasses but people want to actually feel you're connecting with the music. I don't think that H.E.R. is on meds but I don't feel like she has the life experience to sing some of the songs she does. I would like to hear her sing music that she connects with rather than formulaic R&B because I feel that would be her truth. This takes nothing away from her talent but it will be interesting to see how Alica's old management handles her. They've done a good job so far with getting her all the right looks.

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
Wasn’t OP just talking about how HER was a lesbian pregnant by one of the Marleys?...like a few months ago? Now she’s talking nice about her. Wild.

Deepshallow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,170 373 392
Alleybux
Wasn’t OP just talking about how HER was a lesbian pregnant by one of the Marleys?...like a few months ago? Now she’s talking nice about her. Wild.
How u know she wasn’t pregnant and I think she is still with the Marley dude idc she won me over with the rapping and she not gay I wish she would dress straight all the time & Not get my ppl hopes up but we have MKXYZ.

Last edited:

LWillyNY

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
9,407 21 29
Alleybux
She's cool. But I don't see how her music is any different from any of the other R&B girls right now.
It's not. She has a lot of money and connection pushing her right now.

That being said, mediocre white and spanish women get pushed by the industry everyday so whatever. I won't complain about a black woman getting fame and money

Ataraxic

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
131,780 3,639 1,430
Alleybux
I do agree she is talented, but the name is terrible. I’m sure she thought it was clever but it just ends up being confusing.

AfriLux

Pampered princess from the ghetto
Reaction score
Reactions
29,034 1,507 616
Alleybux
I wish I could upload these videos from the many HER concerts I’ve attended to shut the naysayers down. Baby girl was singing live and HITTING notes!

But this janky ass site...

Oh, and I want the glasses and big hair back! Y’all don’t need to look into everyone’s eyes tf.

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
How u know she wasn’t pregnant and probably still with the Marley dude idc she won me over with the rapping and she not gay I wish she would dress straight all the time & Not get my ppl hopes up but we have MKXYZ

Lol sis I don’t care what HER does in her personal life. I just like her music.

Deepshallow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,170 373 392
Alleybux

That being said, mediocre white and spanish women get industry backing everyday so whatever.
Who playing instruments and not showing their ass or talking about selling ass and that fine..I’ll wait

Genovese

Glitter Addict
Reaction score
Reactions
75,448 3,430 1,201
Alleybux
She's actually a breath of fresh air pertaining to R&B.

R&B was dying ever since Lovers and Friends was labeled a "Love Song". :bulgyeyes

chanelframes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
63,501 2,174 1,362
Alleybux
I love boring every lit girl I know is a hoe not saying she can’t be a boring hoe! Lol
Let me clarify: I think she is a little too private but it is also refreshing to see people private. I love her music sometimes it sounds the same or monotone to me and I personally feel like I have to be in a certain mood for her music. This is just my take. Anyways I didn't mean boring in negative way. Oh well.

Giudecca

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,870 2,766 889
Alleybux
I like HER, and she make good songs. Some of y’all are coming off as haters. That girl doesn’t do anything to nobody, but music. She’s a true musician, not a pop star.

TetrisJam

Square Peg In a Round Hole :(
Reaction score
Reactions
191,604 11,958 10,514
Alleybux
OP, you sound like her PR.

She's tremendously talented and a pretty girl. Despite being an industry plant, she got more talented than over half her peers out now.

However, I only like three songs she made. And those songs are from her EPs. I hate mainstream music. I hate what happens to music that is watered down for the masses. Because H.E.R. was more interesting than she is now.

While she's a great guitarist and songwriter, her music sounds like your garden variety, moody, sleepy, cut-and-paste composed, Xanax-induced Gen Z R&B. :sleepy

Dead Yella Rose

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,153 1,585 461
Alleybux
She’s talented, but I can’t remember which album felt like a Miseducation remake.

ETA: I actually stopped listening to it cause I was Like I can just listen to Lauryn for all this.

Last edited:

Ambi D

Reaction score
Reactions
337,464 7,601 1,811
Alleybux

That being said, mediocre white and spanish women get pushed by the industry everyday so whatever. I won't complain about a black woman getting fame and money
That’s exactly where I am with it. She should get money while it’s getting and enjoy life.

TheChanteuse

LSA: where the average bw looks like Mariah!
Reaction score
Reactions
71,165 1,901 724
Alleybux
I need to see proof that HER can really sing because from what IVE heard, I’m not impressed.

She an average singer

Definitely not a sanger like Whitney, Mariah, Patti, Aretha

But compared to the whisper singers she looks like she's up there with them but is nothing of that sort. Tells you the state of r&b..... TRAGIC.

Last edited:

PhooeyNewton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
173,598 8,414 8,247
Alleybux
OP, you sound like her PR.

She's tremendously talented and a pretty girl. Despite being an industry plant, she got more talented than over half her peers out now.

However, I only like three songs she made. And those songs are from her EPs. I hate mainstream music. I hate what happens to music that is watered down for the masses. Because H.E.R. was more interesting than she is now.

While she's a great guitarist and songwriter, her music sounds like your garden variety, moody, sleepy, cut-and-paste composed, Xanax-induced Gen Z R&B. :sleepy
PR is all up and down this thread. They trying to act like we're stupid. It's rollout time.

FluffyEyes1129

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
128,981 2,122 808
Alleybux
She’s talented, but I can’t remember which album felt like a Miseducation remake.

That’s the one that made me jump off the HER train a bit. Spoken word is a pet peeve of mine and I can’t take that sh!t with my music. If she releases an album, I’ll listen, but I cannot do spoken word.

TetrisJam

Square Peg In a Round Hole :(
Reaction score
Reactions
191,604 11,958 10,514
Alleybux
Meh...
Very talented but her music is generic and boring. It’s standard big concert jam band r&b down to the dated processed guitar effects and bouncy toms. Obviously, she’s very well connected in the industry.

I don’t begrudge her though. She just sounds like some middle aged A&R’s idea of “good” R&B. Nothing about her feels organic or raw. To me a 23 year old making something akin to adult contemporary music is not really interesting. There’s just nothing innovative about it.

I am happy to see a black woman playing guitar on TV though. So there’s that. I guess that’s supposed to satisfy me but it doesn’t.

Her guitar sounds aren't dated. Nothing is dated if you have the talent of incorporating it in a modern setting.

She's just carefully controlled. I think this is mostly because she is dark-skinned and curvy which is seen as a bad thing in this sh!tty ass music industry. Light skinned chicks who are thin or have build-a-bodies tend to get more passes to be as carefree or experimental as they want in the industry because labels know their light-skin, alone, will help them sell.

Sadly, in 2020, mainstream audiences are still more comfortable seeing a brown-skinned or dark-skinned woman who is:
-bigger than a size 6
-singing gospel or R&B
-being asexual or unappealing (even though Jill Scott kind of managed to be sexy but even she was bashed for being sexy because of her weight)
-being a lesbian or trans or butch like
-being some sassy M###my archetype like Lizzo.

The only exception I can think of is SZA which puzzles me because she is truly not that talented! Pretty but not some huge talent.

It's truly sad. Even though HER's music is boring she is too good for this industry talent wise.

FluffyEyes1129

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
128,981 2,122 808
Alleybux
Oh u forgot about her and Skip that quick and they kept that Chris Brown affair hidden but ur right she isn’t a try hard like Cardi, Beyoncé, Ciara & others pretending to be so obsessed and In love with no hood sleazy or dl men.

What the hell???

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
Meh...

I don’t begrudge her though. She just sounds like some middle aged A&R’s idea of “good” R&B. Nothing about her feels organic or raw. To me a 23 year old making something akin to adult contemporary music is not really interesting. There’s just nothing innovative about it.

it’s funny I like her music but not her guitar playing as much. It’s too sterile for me. Idk if I’m just too used to other guitar players wailing on the guitar, but it’s missing a bit of emotion for me. It’s not bad, I just crave a little more for her guitar playing. Like it needs more feel to it.
Kingfish is a young guy killing on the guitar he’s about 21, sings and plays guitar(blues specifically) and his guitar play is just out of this world.

Still like her music though, just need a bit more from it at times. It lacks a bit of personality.

Ambi D

Reaction score
Reactions
337,464 7,601 1,811
Alleybux
it’s funny I like her music but not her guitar playing as much. It’s too sterile for me. Idk if I’m just too used to other guitar players wailing on the guitar, but it’s missing a bit of emotion for me. It’s not bad, I just crave a little more for her guitar playing. Like it needs more feel to it.
Kingfish is a young guy killing on the guitar he’s about 21, sings and plays guitar(blues specifically) and his guitar play is just out of this world.

Still like her music though, just need a bit more from it at times. It lacks a bit of personality.
I feel the exact same way about her guitar playing. It’s sterile, no feeling and the effects choices turn me off. I say that as someone who would love for guitar based black music of all genres to make a strong resurgence and has played myself for 20 years.