Quantcast

Hit Songs that were turned down by artists

Champ77

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,040 2,465 2,138
Alleybux
As I remember, that song Umbrella passed through a couple artists, Mandy Moore being another one of them. Dont think it was written for anyone in particular.

Im sure ya'll already know that "Just Like me" was recorded by Usher but didnt make the cut for here I stand

Chris Brown didnt pass but rather tried to beg/strong arm The Dream to give him "Bed". But thats old news

Maybe that's true. I just remember that Mary said in an interview a couple of years ago that Umbrella was made for her. According to her The Dream and Christopher Stewart reach out to her cause they had written a song for her called Umbrella, but she turned down the song.

Mandy Moore did cover Umbrella...but the way she talks about the song in this video before she starts singing, it doesn't seem like she would've turned down the song.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8Lpl6qCbU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8Lpl6qCbU&feature=related[/ame]

Anacaona Taino

I forgot my old tag line...
Reaction score
Reactions
230,369 4,870 1,417
Alleybux
i have an interesting case......

jennifer lopez recorded the song "i'm real" that samples the song "firecracker" by the yellow magic orchestra. the sample was originally supposed to go to mariah carey's song "loverboy" for the Glitter soundtrack. carey wrote the song to the melody of "firecracker" but tommy mottola beat her to the punch and got it to jennifer lopez for "i'm real". carey had to settle for another sample for "loverboy". the new sample for loverboy didn't really go with the song the way carey wanted and possibly why it wasn't as successful as it might have been. anyway, this was supposedly the reason behind the j.lo/mariah feud.

in the song loverboy da brat sing "Hate on me, much as you want to, you can't do what the fµck I do, b!tches be, emulating me daily" OVER the melody of "firecracker" which was allegedly a diss to mottola and lopez.

apparently that is the reason for carey's departure from sony and might have had a hand in her emotional breakdown...

I was wondering if Mariah & Da Brat are still friends?

Emcee

Wilkkommen
Reaction score
Reactions
10,906 3 2
Alleybux
That must have been a rumor, because I didn't think Prince dated brown-skinned AA women. All his women tend to fall in that "exotic" category.

Not true. He dated Nona Gaye, Marvin Gayes daughter. She's dark skinned.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,044 64 26
Alleybux
Tell Me by Dru Hill was originally supposed to be Blackstreet for Chauncey & Dave to sing lead on but when Levi & Dave left Blackstreet after their first album it was given to Dave Hollister to spark his solo career and did both verses by himself. But once execs from Island Records heard Dru Hill they wanted them to sing the song since Island executive produced the Eddie Soundtrack so the version with Dave Hollister's version was never heard but he did record it.

Incomplete by Sisqo was written originally by Montell Jordan for Michael Jackson in 99 for his Invincible album. During that time Sisqo wanted to meat Michael Jackson while Teddy was working on his Invincible album with him. Montell Jordan came in with a handwritten song but Michael told Teddy & Montell he had enough slow sappy songs to record for the album so Michael himself suggested Montell give it to Sisqo since he was in the studio.

No Diggity by Blackstreet was meant for Guy when they was supposed to work on their 3rd album Guy III in 95-96 but Teddy got into a heated argument with Aaron & Damion Hall and when they heard the song Teddy Chauncey & William "Skylz" Stewart written they said the song was bµllsh!t so Teddy said me & Chauncey about to make this a Blackstreet hit forget Guy so Aaron & Damion left Trinidad where they was working on the album.

Then Teddy & Chauncey learned that Dave Hollister & Levi Little wanted to leave the group so Levi got dismissed & Dave left so he & Chauncey decided to find two new members and then record Another Level Chauncey found his longtime friend Eric Williams in Jersey. Mark Middleton who had just split with his group Brik Citi then joined so they got back to Trinidad and recorded No Diggity along with Queen Pen then Queen Pen suggested they should get another dope rapper so due to them being on Interscope together they found Dr. Dre and the rest is history.

The real reason Dave left is cause Teddy wanted him to keep his abilites within the confines of the group and told him jealous folks was trying to split the group up so Dave told him if he can't spread his wings and do solo stuff with others outside Blackstreet he was leaving. So Dave quit while the Guy album was supposed to be in production but it never happened.

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,408 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
10. "…Baby One More Time" by TLC?

The debut single from Britney Spears was originally for TLC. T-Boz, Chilli, and the late-great Left Eye had huge success with "No Scrubs" from the Fanmail album in 1999 -- still, "…Baby One More Time" would've been a massive success for the girls. T-Boz's robotic voice would've fit perfectly and with a lil' rap from Left Eye -- they could've scored a fourth #1 hit. Without this song there probably would've been no Britney Spears to emerge in '99... maybe right now she'd be a regular momma in Kentucky with no drug problems.

9. "Dim All The Lights" by Rod Stewart?

Rod Stewart didn't necessarily turn down the song. Donna Summer wrote the dance-R&B track for Rod, who was on a disco kick for a few years. Summer loved the song so much she decided to keep it for herself. It was a good move, "Dim All the Lights" hit #2 in 1979. This is her only hit song that she solely wrote and holds the record as "the longest sustained note sung by a female artist in a top 40 song in both the U.S. and the UK, at about sixteen seconds."

8. "The Glamorous Life" by Apollonia 6?

The song originally for Apollonia 6's second album went to Shelia E. The first line, "She wears a long fur coat of mink even in the summertime" was allegedly about Apollonia. The two other girls of Apollonia 6 were extremely upset about losing the song, especially after having such a big hit with "xes Shooter" and dealing with the drama of the Vanity-Apollonia transition. "Glamorous Life" was a top ten Billboard Hot 100 hit for Shelia E. in 1984. Apollonia allegedly had no interest in the group after Purple Rain, she left and Vanity/Apollonia 6 disbanded.

7. "Love Shoulda Brought You Home" by Anita Baker?

Anita Baker declined on the top forty Billboard Hot 100 hit because she was pregnant. The song gave Toni Braxton her big break, who was clearly made to mimic Anita Baker's vocal. While I love Toni's version, the song is so much in the styling of Anita that it definitely would've been a hit for her.

6. "How Will I Know" by Janet Jackson?

This song was originally written for Janet Jackson in 1985. I could definitely see the '80's dance track on the Control album, it's strictly pop and doesn't require the vocal that Whitney Houston gave it. Nonetheless, Whitney definitely owns the song. "How Will I Know"and the cheesy video marked the beginning of backlash from the black community. The pop classic hit #1 in 1986. By the way, Nippy tried to pass on "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" but Daddy Clive Davis told her to shut up and sing - don't think! "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" became her seventh #1 hit.

5. "Irreplaceable" by Fantasia?

As the rumor goes, the song that literally saved Beyonce's B-Day album was originally for Fantasia. Fantasia turned down the track, supposedly saying it was "too pop." What a huge mistake -- I guess she thought "Hoodboy" was the route to go. "Irreplaceable" is a song that anybody could've made a hit, the song isn't R&B and sounds nothing like Beyonce. Actually, "Irreplaceable" is more country - still, this track would have balanced Fantasia's rough sound.

4. "Umbrella" by Britney Spears?

Again, anyone could've made this song a hit, it's a perfect pop record. If Britney would have accepted the song for her Blackout album, I guarantee the track would've equaled the success of Rihanna. "Umbrella" requires a nasal voice and someone who needs excellent production to compensate for the lack of everything else -- Rihanna was next in line. Imagine if Rihanna never recorded "Umbrella"? Her career would've been on that Christina Milan, Cassie path!

3. "The Pleasure Principle" by Prince?

One of Janet's few songs in the '80's and '90's that wasn't written by her or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Legend has it the song was originally submitted to Prince, who rarely took songs that he didn't write. Monte Moir wrote the song, who was a keyboard player for the Prince-produced group The Time. While "The Pleasure Principle" wasn't a massive pop hit for Jackson, it's a favorite for R&B lovers and her fans. Plus, the video had classic choreography -- letting us all know Janet is one of the greatest dancers in mainstream-pop music.

2. "Holiday" by Mary Wilson?

The former Supreme made a colossal mistake by turning down Madonna's 1983 classic "Holiday." The song transcended pop and R&B, becoming a top 20 hit Billboard Hot 100 hit and reaching #25 on the R&B charts. The song charted all over the world, reaching the top ten in Japan, Australia, and Germany. "Holiday" never had a video and at the time people thought Madonna was a black artist. This anthem song surely would've been a hit for Mary Wilson and easily rivaled Diana Ross.

1. "If You Don't Know By Me Now," "Oh Me Oh My (I'm a Fool for You Baby)," "I Feel Good," "Rush, Rush," and "Nobody's Supposed to be Here" by Patti Labelle?

No one has tossed away more hit songs than the legendary Patti Labelle.

First it was the 1972 classic "If You Don't Know Me by Now," which reached #3 with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and then #1 in 1989 when it was covered by Simply Red. Rumor has it Patti didn't exactly turn down the song, it was her's then handed over to Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.

"Oh Me Oh My (I'm a Fool for You Baby)" was originally recorded in 1969 for a Scottish singer. However, a soul version was offered to Patti-Patti, she declined and Aretha Franklin made it a top ten R&B hit in 1972. I don't see how she passed up that song!

"I Feel Good" became a #1 R&B hit for Stephanie Mills in 1987 after Patti Labelle passed.

According to one of Patti's many live albums she was offered Paula Abdul's 1991 song "Rush, Rush" but turned it down. Now, I don't know how the writers went from Patti to Paula, but Paula brought the song to #1.

Deborax Cox's massive 1998 hit is probably Patti's biggest mistake. "Nobody's Supposed to Be Here" spent fifteen weeks at number-one on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart -- a record that was broken by Mary J. Blige in 2006 with "Be Without You." The pop/soul ballad also peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Plus, the endless dance remixes gave the song more life.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,533 1
Alleybux
I don't know if this is an instance where the song was turned down or if they label just made the decision but B.O.B.'s "Nothin on You" and "Airplanes" were originally written for Lupe Fiasco.

Jazlyn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,963 1,785 973
Alleybux
Maybe that's true. I just remember that Mary said in an interview a couple of years ago that Umbrella was made for her. According to her The Dream and Christopher Stewart reach out to her cause they had written a song for her called Umbrella, but she turned down the song.

Mandy Moore did cover Umbrella...but the way she talks about the song in this video before she starts singing, it doesn't seem like she would've turned down the song.

You are absolutely right about Umbrella. except for the fact that Mary J turned it down. She loved the song but just did not get a chance to record it. By the time she did, Rihanna already snatched it up

In an interview with MTV News, Mary J. Blige revealed that this song was originally written for her by Tricky Stewart and The-Dream. She said, "They did the song for me. And it was during the Grammy time and I was really, really busy, and I heard it, and I was like, 'Oh my goodness, that's a smash. I love this song.' And it was like, 'It's yours.' So in the midst of it being mine, they were probably telling [Rihanna] it was hers. She's such a beautiful lady, and I love her to death. I was so glad that she caught it and knocked it out of the park, and it's still one of my favorite songs to date."

Reaction score
Reactions
1,044 64 26
Alleybux
Roni & Rock Wit Cha by Bobby Brown were written by Babyface for himself.

Ready Or Not by After 7 was written by Babyface & LA Reid for Babyface but decided to give the song to his brothers instead.

End Of The Road by Boyz II Men was originally meant for After 7 but execs at Motown mainly Jheryl Busby heard of the song cause Michael Bivins who works with Boyz II Men told him about the song cause Babyface who was working with BBD told them they was gonna find a breakout smash for After 7 but Kevon & Melvin didn't really wanna record it cause they felt Babyface was showing favoritism cause they was his brothers.

Michael Bivins told Babyface come meet his group Boyz II Men and Babyface decided to write it for them. Also I'll Make Love To You was meant for Babyface by himself but he felt folks were hating on him for singing too many love songs already so at the end of Boyz II Men recording II he decided to give them I'll Make Love To You & Water Runs Dry.

Half On A Baby by R. Kelly was a song he originally wrote for Bobby Brown's Forever album but Bobby decided not to work with Teddy Riley, Babyface, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, R. Kelly, & Rodney Jerkins as planned

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,408 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
Half On A Baby by R. Kelly was a song he originally wrote for Bobby Brown's Forever album but Bobby decided not to work with Teddy Riley, Babyface, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, R. Kelly, & Rodney Jerkins as planned

Oh my goodness, that would have been a great album if he had stuck to the original plan.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,044 64 26
Alleybux
We're Not Making Love No More written by Babyface was originally meant for Boyz II Men but Dru Hill was also in the running so Boyz II Men being the gentlemen said give that song to Dru Hill and give us the other one he was working on for the Soul Food Soundtrack.

So Babyface made a compromise and gave Boyz II Men A Song For Mama.

Nice & Slow by Usher was originally meant for Jagged Edge's album A Jagged Era it was written by Jermaine Dupri, Manuel Seal, Brandon & Brian Casey of Jagged Edge.

When they was in the studio they was putting the track together at JD's Studios. Usher had walked him with some ladies and told them that song was tight and said he feelin the song so the twins asked Usher if he wanted to do the song for the ladies so Usher got in the booth and was handed the lyric sheets. Jermaine Dupri leaned over and told them that was a good idea and it will be a hit. The twins said it don't matter who singing it's still a win win so they was happy Usher sang it.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,044 64 26
Alleybux
Oh my goodness, that would have been a great album if he had stuck to the original plan.

Bobby wanted to prove his critics wrong cause they was saying the reason Bobby had all the hits is cause of the producers so he said he was doing the whole album with low profile producers like Derek Allen, Kenny Finnel, Rome, & himself. Yes the R&B singer Rome helped Bobby co-write on his Forever album and sang background on a couple songs. His ego took over he also said that he felt he could produce himself better than Babyface & it's best that he's solo and didn't wanna do New Edition again and he hated them. So he did a song It's Still My Thang where he mentioned his relationship and ruined friendship with some of the other members.

Mind you this is fresh off the big fight and gun battle on the Home Again Tour where Ronnie & Bobby got into it so understand he was not in his right mind at the time. He later apologized for the statement and said he loves his brothers in New Eidtion and would love to work with them again but everyone has to grow up and be men and not hold grudges. I guess that happened now.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,044 64 26
Alleybux
Freekin You by Jodeci was originally meant for Playa & Ginwine. DeVante wanted his artists on that song. Yep both former Bassment Crew artists Playa & Ginuwine was supposed to do it but DeVante got wind of DeVante trying to get a solo deal with Epic and scrapped their recording of it and when K-Ci walked in the studio and told him he was gonna sing this song the the next day. K-Ci refused at first cause they was getting to risque but DeVante said I bet you you will sing it so when K-Ci, JoJo, DeVante, & Dalvin walked in the studio DeVante told him remember that song I told you about you singing it cause he lit the room up with candlelights and had naked girls so K-Ci went in the booth with girls touching on him and sang the hell out the song like his life depended on it.

Ginuwine was trying to take his version and give Timbaland & Static the writing and production credit when DeVante was the one who did it. Playa was still loyal to DeVante longer than Missy, Timbaland & Magoo, Ginuwine, & Tweet were though.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,044 64 26
Alleybux
Part Time Lover by H-Town was written by DeVante for Jodeci originally, then K-Ci said he was going to record a remake of If You Think You're Lonely now while DeVante was trying to record. So DeVante was down to H-Town & Playa to record it and it went to H-Town.

Can U Get With It by Usher was orginally meant for Jodeci too and JoJo was supposed to sing lead on it but JoJo got sick and his voice got horse so Usher recorded it instead cause DeVante was already brought on board by Puffy & LA Reid to produce a couple songs on Usher's album.

Think Of You by Usher was written by Donell Jones & Faith Evans and originally meant to be sang by Donell Jones old group Porshe but they broke up and Donell wasn't given his solo deal with Laface yet so it went to Usher instead of him solo.

yoco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,272 63 66
Alleybux
That must have been a rumor, because I didn't think Prince dated brown-skinned AA women. All his women tend to fall in that "exotic" category.

True but he made two exceptions, Prince dated (or should I say sexed) Chilli from TLC and Marvin Gaye's daughter (can't remember her name). So maybe, Patrice was the 3rd exception :)

msIV

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,700 1
Alleybux
Someone beat me to it but Babyface wrote Love Should've Brought U Home for Anita Baker but she was preggers and said let the girl singing the demo keep....thus Toni Braxton was introduced

Wouldn't get far by The Game and Kanye was supposed to be Common's and then Nas' song

Of course we all know how Beyonce's Resentment was passed around. Recorded by both Victoria Beckham and Jasmine Sullivan

Speaking of Jazzy she wrote Everything to Me and was gonna keep it for herself but she & Missy decided to give it to Monica....so if Mo does get tht Grammy in Feb then Jasmine still wins lol

MelloFello

Black On Both Sides
Reaction score
Reactions
72,364 927 159
Alleybux
Damn by reading these comments, I know Babyface is paid.....Dude was consistent...

Jazlyn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,963 1,785 973
Alleybux
I heard that there is a version of "Same Girl" by with Tyrese on it instead of Usher. Usher seemed to be dragging his feet and wasnt sold on recording the song with him so Kells when out and got Tyrese. This is what made Usher cave in and finally agree. Supposedly...dont know for sure

Emcee

Wilkkommen
Reaction score
Reactions
10,906 3 2
Alleybux
True but he made two exceptions, Prince dated (or should I say sexed) Chilli from TLC and Marvin Gaye's daughter (can't remember her name). So maybe, Patrice was the 3rd exception :)

Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread. He dated Nona Gaye, Marvin Gaye's daughter and she's brown skinned.

T.O.P

The best at being me...
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,327 13 12
Alleybux
Beautiful was supposed to be Linda Perry's comeback song but when she heard Christina Aguilera sing it she told her she could have it

Who is Linda Perry?

In *almost* all of these instances, I'd love to hear the other artist sing it because it doesn't sound too different from their style anyway. Especially the Britney/JLo/Janet things.

And I'd love to hear Pink on "Since You've Been Gone"

SoulMusicStan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,707 28 2
Alleybux

Her name is Nona Gaye, she's a singer and a actress. :)

Champ77

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,040 2,465 2,138
Alleybux
Who is Linda Perry?

In *almost* all of these instances, I'd love to hear the other artist sing it because it doesn't sound too different from their style anyway. Especially the Britney/JLo/Janet things.

And I'd love to hear Pink on "Since You've Been Gone"

The chick from the group 4 Non Blondes who had a huge hit with the song What's up back in the early 90s.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCt0YQPn7g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCt0YQPn7g[/ame]

Love Gun

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
186,759 3,453 682
Alleybux
Jazmine Sullivan wrote Say I and she was gonna keep it for herself but Christina Milian really wanted it so she gave it to her

Love Gun

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
186,759 3,453 682
Alleybux
Jennifer Lopez's "Play" was written by Christina Milian and Christina's label told her that she already had a party track on her album (AM To PM) so she needs to give up one of them. She chose to keep AM To PM and gave up Play.

Selam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,100 1,831 3,824
Alleybux
'How Will I Know' (1985) intended for Janet Jackson, recorded by Whitney Houston
'Where Did Our Love Go?' (1964) intended for The Marvelettes, recorded by The Supremes.
'S.O.S' (2005) intended for Christina Milian, recorded by Rihanna.
'Miss Independent' (2005) intended for Christina Aguilera, recorded by Kelly Clarkson
'Girlfriend/Boyfriend' (1999) intended BlackStreet and Spice Girls collab, insteadsong features Janet Jackson, Eve and Ja Rule.
'Unbreak My Heart' (1995) intended for Celine Dion, recorded by Toni Braxton

Selam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,100 1,831 3,824
Alleybux
Chris Brown's camp turned this song down:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd555_E5Qzg[/ame]

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,064 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
lol rihanna would not have been on the cassie path if she had never recorded umbrella since her album a girl like me did really well and she had a ton of endorsements in 06

G0G0 YuBari

Divinity In Motion
Reaction score
Reactions
14,371 336 52
Alleybux
Lady GaGa wrote Telephone for Britney Spears but her record company (or her) turned it down and she recorded it herself and added Beyonce on the track.

Britney's Demo
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFBDHhDkCg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFBDHhDkCg[/ame]

Filthy McNasty

Unbothered
Reaction score
Reactions
43,625 1,447 192
Alleybux
Kelly Clarkson Breakaway was offered to Avril Lavigne

Britney Spears Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know was offered to Shania Twain

I'm not surprised, because it sounds like a Shania Twain song.

I heard that "1 Thing" was originally supposed to be sung by Jennifer Lopez.

Pretty Nique

ღ♥♡sittin pretty♡♥ღ
Reaction score
Reactions
8,859 5 2
Alleybux
Umbrella turned down by Christina Millian- i would've been depressed as hell ♥

Love Gun

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
186,759 3,453 682
Alleybux
Jennifer Lopez's "Louboutins" produced by The-Dream & Tricky was first recorded by Brandy but when she got dropped by Epic Records they gave it to Jennifer Lopez. After it failed to chart Jennifer Lopez got dropped by Epic Records shortly after.

G

Toxic by Britney Spears was given to Kylie Minogue first but she turned it down.

Ben was originally given to Donny Osmond .

Fantasia turned down Irreplaceable by Beyonce :confused:.

That right there, is my fave brit brit song.