Quantcast

Home School Black Children

inmydreams

Tom’s baby mama
Reaction score
Reactions
193,190 5,098 2,469
Alleybux
I support more black families homeschooling their children. A lot of schools and curricula are toxic to black children. Black children are disciplined more often and much harsher than others, too.

BlancheDuBois

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
113,060 7,615 7,714
Alleybux
Save all your money now, and travel.
No class / home / church will ever top seeing the world
Nothing. Also, do not hole them up, let them decide what they want start with smaller schools and allow them to grow.
Volunteer.

BlancheDuBois

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
113,060 7,615 7,714
Alleybux
All schools should have more funding to allow smaller classes, better paid teachers and out of the classroom trips.
We all should demand that teacher are paid more, and have tuition assistance. IMO unpopular I know, there also needs to me more men teachers and not just coaches. Young men need to be around strong male influence , and the presence of a male in a school will improve over all well being of students.

BillieOcean

Stepped-Up Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
40,804 1,363 520
Alleybux
For the dame reason people take French, Italian, German and Mandarin. MOST of those AMERICAN people never move to France/Belgium/Qeubec, Italy, Germany or China but they still learn about culture, art, history through language acquisition! Hell, Harvard just started a Gullah course!

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with teaching a child ANY language. There are Czechs and Hungarians in Chicago teaching their children, Russians in Brooklyn, Jews with Yiddish AND Hebrew all teaching children their language but when it comes to African languages...

Children should definitely learn Swahili or Yoruba or Amharic or Tigrinya. Several African economies are on the rise. We need the children to grow up to do business, be self employed and employ other Blacks. Africa is where the opportunities will be. The Chinese know it, the Indians know it, the Europeans know it.

apocalipton

Powerhouse Titties
Reaction score
Reactions
144,447 6,180 2,470
Alleybux
We homeschool; this is our 2nd year. I have two boys and they are in 1st and 2nd grade. We do coop groups, they have the opportunity to play sports (or whatever extra curricular activity they desire; they pretty much do everything traditional students do. We actually spend more time out of the home than we did when my oldest was in public school. We have scheduled trips - educational and fun/age appropriate field trips. We are a part of the traveling homeschoolers, so we meet new people often, sometimes friendships stick, sometimes they don't. My children have friends though and they are not socially awkward. Lol. Even if they were it would be ok, I was a bit socially awkward throughout elementary school... Lol so was my sister, but we grew out of it.
I'd like to know more about the co ops. Are they predominately Black?

PinkRage

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Reactions
77,151 1,448 628
Alleybux
I'd like to know more about the co ops. Are they predominately Black?

I think that really has a lot to do with your location. The best I could find was a "diverse" group, and honesty, it wouldn't be diverse if it weren't for my family and one other family. I have yet to find a predominately Black group.

Chrissieha

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,997 50 13
Alleybux
U can always just supplement their education at home but I can understand why you would want to homeschool.

Just know that for some kids it would work while other personalities it may not. It’s not a one size fits all.

Also be sure to keep well rounded with extracurricular activities, sports, or whatever is appropriate for that child.

I was thinking the same thing but while she's supplementing, she would also have to be undoing what they are taught daily. I'm not saying it can't be done. I think it can.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,150 199 76
Alleybux
If I didn’t have to work I would consider home schooling, but that’s not a viable option for my family. I think it’s a good idea but once high school hits i don’t even want to try to remember calculus, trig etc. my children are young so you never know but right now I don’t see it happening.

Carielle

Carielle_Carriere 9th Ward's Gem
Reaction score
Reactions
89,990 10,064 3,151
Alleybux
You can look in to Historically black Catholic schools. If homeschooling gets too hard. They are way better than public schools.

My first school I went to was a all black Catholic school ranging from grades Pre-k to 8 grade. The all the teachers, bible study teachers, substitute teachers, students, cafeteria workers, janitors, principle, vice principle were all black. The only white person that was involved with the school was the priest. Of the church my school went to.

Emerald Diamond

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,081 89 66
Alleybux
We'll have to see. I definitely will find ways to teach my future/possible kids about black history and my lessons will go back passed slavery as this was not the 'start'. I want to convey lineage, what the diaspora entails and time spend in some different countries (fam and friends in Caribbean and parts of Africa).

But wherever they go, the education needs to stimulate and encourage critical thinking in addition to using creativity skills as a norm. Standard education can be very cookie cutter - no thanks! I am bias towards getting them interested in stem and maths as foundations so they know how to do and make stuff and can apply themselves in this world without getting caught up with a bunch of useless info...

These poor kids! :dazed

Emerald Diamond

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,081 89 66
Alleybux
I pulled my daughter out of a "good public school" to homeschool her. And, she graduated and he is is super smart. Is working as an accountant by the age of 20 for the biggest at auction my city . She passed the exam with a 96 the first time. She was the youngest applicant and had the highest score. She has her own office and extension at her job. She has her own apartment townhouse. Her car is paid off. It is worth it

That's great - congrats on her achievements and to you for putting in the work. What were your main challenges with homeschooling? I imagine a major benefit is being able to create your own objectives and build a curriculum around that?

Would love to know your take as one who went that route

Didyme

Flat Tummy Teas
Reaction score
Reactions
93,213 5,060 1,399
Alleybux
I plan on putting my children in private Montessori or Walden schools if I am unable to do unschooling. I was a Montessori child as well and it gave me a great head start. Homeschooling in my area often goes wrong and the children are behind their peers.

Reaction score
Reactions
5,227 216 13
Alleybux
I think that really has a lot to do with your location. The best I could find was a "diverse" group, and honesty, it wouldn't be diverse if it weren't for my family and one other family. I have yet to find a predominately Black group.
There are a lot of predominately black co op groups in the DMV area many are faith based through churches that have homeschool co op groups.

PinkRage

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Reactions
77,151 1,448 628
Alleybux
There are a lot of predominately black co op groups in the DMV area many are faith based through churches that have homeschool co op groups.

Yep! I started to mention this, but didn't. There are so many in the DMV, but I'm in Florida and there aren't many black groups in my neighborhood//community.

The churches that have homeschool groups here are predominately white. Very white. Lilly white. Lol. It's cool, but it's not for us.

apocalipton

Powerhouse Titties
Reaction score
Reactions
144,447 6,180 2,470
Alleybux
I'm gonna do all of the research I can and start my own. My son will be entering elementary school in 4 years. I think that's enough time.

beninoisequeen

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
854 21 2
Alleybux

Look into Mocha Moms Inc. They have a homeschooling network when you join a chapter

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
We have decided to homeschool for a multitude of reasons. We saw issues within even the top notch preschool Montessori.
We refuse to let this country instill self hate, falsehoods, half truths and the like, into our children. Nope!
And all of the homeschool families black and white, the children no matter the age are much more grounded and 'normal' than these schooled kids. Smh.
We love that our children are being taught in a tailor made way that's best for them individually.
We also have a woman who homeschooled all of her now adult kids, come in 5x per week for an hour a day just to vary it up.
I know people of varying income levels who’ve homeschooled INCLUDING PAYING for trained teachers to come to their home.
Black children aren’t safe in public/government funded schools