Quantcast

Homeowners Had Their Day Ruined

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,590 4,864 254
Alleybux
With more free time on our hands than ever, and most of it spent in the comfort of our homes, people are seizing the opportunity to renovate their houses. But not everything that looks simple, yet splendid on those countless craft videos on YouTube, is so in reality. In fact, oftentimes it goes quite to the contrary.

From renovating and realizing you just removed a load-bearing wall and putting a nice decoration over the toilet only for it to drop all over, to felling cabinets as if there was some meteor shower, these are some of the most “thank god, it’s not me” home improvement efforts.

Have you had some renovation disasters similar to these? Hit us in the comment section below!

What Happens When You're Renovating And Remove A Load-Bearing Wall​

What Happens When You're Renovating And Remove A Load-Bearing Wall

pf3

Spraying Weed Killer Instead Of Weed N Feed​

Spraying Weed Killer Instead Of Weed N Feed

hilltophermit

There are seemingly an infinite fountain of readily available resources to help do-it-yourselfers, such as books with step-by-step instructions and online how-to videos. In the past five years, the demand for such videos has boomed since most people have realized it’s easy to save some bucks handling cosmetic improvements alone. Those who tried and succeeded have gone on to more complex endeavors like installing tiles or replacing countertops.

And with so much free time on our hands, more and more people are willing to try out and undertake home projects that they feel comfortable with. The last part is crucial, since making a spontaneous decision when you haven’t a single clue on what you’re about to be doing is a red flag that you may be better off without doing it yourself.

DIY Fail​

DIY Fail

jetaimezombies

To avoid renovation disasters that are unfortunately all too common, Bruce Irving, an independent renovation consultant and real estate agent from Cambridge, Massachusetts, suggests not rushing renovations if you just bought a new house. “Learn its flow, where the groceries land, where the laundry wants to go, how the sun hits it, where the choke points are, which way the rain slants, even get a sense of its soul,” he argues.

It’s So Hot In Australia, Our Outdoor Lights Melted​

It’s So Hot In Australia, Our Outdoor Lights Melted

disnerdbeth

A Friend Sent Me This Picture Today​

A Friend Sent Me This Picture Today

"Wife went to get the Christmas tree from the attic. Told her not to step on the drywall. She later admitted she didn't know what drywall was"
reddit.com

The second crucial thing is being realistic about the renovation budget. “If you don’t have the funds,” cautions Irving, “cut the job back. If you happen to beat these projections, then your surprises are happy ones.” A good rule to follow is to always add 20 percent to what you think the project will cost, and make sure that it will very likely take much longer than you initially realize.

Rude Awakening​

Rude Awakening

Scaulbylausis

Sometimes things are better entrusted to pros. “You are about to spend more than you ever thought possible. It might as well be for a correctly-designed thing,” Irving says. Hiring an interior designer or an architect from the start will prevent you from making bad decisions that will cost you too much to fix.

Wife Bought A New Plant Pot And Put It On The Shelf Over The Toilet. And Hour Later We Heard A Crash...​

Wife Bought A New Plant Pot And Put It On The Shelf Over The Toilet. And Hour Later We Heard A Crash...

hinrichs98

Kitchen Cabinets Decided To Yeet Themselves At 4 In The Morning​

Kitchen Cabinets Decided To Yeet Themselves At 4 In The Morning

weeJwontC10

Here’s another tip. No matter how much we’d like to think we know things best, there are things that we truly have no idea about, and it’s fine. Realizing that asking questions will make the process smoother and more efficient is another simple trick to make your renovation work. Pretending that you know stuff, like reading blueprints, is not an option, especially when it’s you who are paying the money.

Went Down To The Basement To Do Laundry...​

Went Down To The Basement To Do Laundry...

drkwtrs

Time To Move, I Guess​

Time To Move, I Guess

Missburr

However, changing things around as you go with remodeling is also a no-go. Sticking to the plan, listening to the pros, and trusting your gut are things that should guide you through the process no matter what. Don’t let yourself get carried away by some way nicer paint for the kitchen walls, because there are always better things out there.

A Storm Came Through. The Plastic Furniture Barely Moved But The Grill Blew 30 Ft Into The Pool​

A Storm Came Through. The Plastic Furniture Barely Moved But The Grill Blew 30 Ft Into The Pool

sleepybuddha44

When You Live In Svalbard, Norway And Forgot To Close The Window To The Home Office​

When You Live In Svalbard, Norway And Forgot To Close The Window To The Home Office

Kjakan

Main Water Valve Was Not Shut Off For The Winter In A Cabin​

Main Water Valve Was Not Shut Off For The Winter In A Cabin

kentiiboyy

@3x DinnerRolls
@7Million
@A La Tart
@AlexMcQWEEN
@allwaswell
@Amanda Woodward
@Anagogic
@AoTLBG
@apocalipton
@aquilo
@Arristance
@Ashy Larry
@AwesomeAvaStin
@Bad Eleanor
@badjuju_xo
@BarbaraLee
@Beautifullefty
@Bella Sofia
@BIANCA JAGGER
@Bidoor
@BillieJeanDab
@BillieOcean
@binks
@BOHO GODDESS
@bonitaapplebum
@boogie79
@BootsOnThat
@brandy716
@buela
@Camille Bordey
@CandyAppleRed
@caramel15
@CeCe24
@cestina
@Chinchilling
@Coco Campbell
@CranberryJuice
@Crunchy Nipples
@CUPCAKKE
@curlyheadheffa
@daybreaks bell
@Demeter
@dianiah23
@Dior Addict
@Dojakat
@dollparts
@eazybreezy
@Elisa Maza
@elvynn
@FridaKahlo
@G A Z
@GalaxyQueens
@Gigiangel
@Goodgyalknd
@GrtGzu
@GummyBearJuice
@Hatshepsut
@HelenSade
@heyma_
@HotDamn
@HowsItGoinDown
@InBloom
@InjoyLelo
@Isisleo86
@Jadam
@jazmyne
@Jodie Landon
@Johnny2X4
@Juelz
@Kelenerz
@Kelly Kapowski
@Kiku
@KittyKins
@kotd
@LadyJess
@LanaThaGod
@LazyDaisy
@LegalizeRanch
@Lema3
@Leona Helmsley
@Lilo9
@LIMONADE
@LittleRayofPostiveEnergy
@Locitita
@Love Me
@MaRain
@MicheleK
@Mirabilia
@misspeanut
@MissShawna
@MissSmith
@Moxy
@Mr Loopy
@Mrs. Curly Fu
@Ms Elle Driver
@MsGemstone
@Mute Swan
@MyKnee Hurtin
@MysteriousMW
@Nabelle40
@nahh
@Nan Chalant
@Nana Peazant
@Nerdycoffeegirl
@nomad
@Noseybella
@nsquared
@nylonsmile
@NYOTA UHURA
@O.o
@Olenna Tyrell
@OneTwoThree
@O S I C H
@originalwharris
@Peacefully
@Petrichor
@Phoenix27
@PhoenixEternal
@Pizzana
@ProprioBella
@Purple1252011
@Queenshawtii
@Raichu
@raramama
@RedLippedBandit
@RespeckIt
@Rere84
@Roxie Cette
@SageDew
@S E N T I E N T
@shebasmudder
@since1979
@SnipYoFlap
@sofxposh
@SpaceMermaid13
@Starbuck
@Sunrisesunset
@Sunshine22
@Sweet __T
@Tahitian Moon
@Teranga21
@TheRichestF
@Thighs
@ThingsNStuff
@thorshammer
@ThotWings
@TruestLovely
@TwirlOn
@tyronebiggums
@uhluhyonce
@UrFavoriteLatte
@Xiolito94
@Yonce_Tears
@You_See_It

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,590 4,864 254
Alleybux
My Fire Alarm Caught On Fire
My Fire Alarm Caught On Fire

aeon_city

Friend Of Mine Posted This Photo Of The Job Site Today​

Friend Of Mine Posted This Photo Of The Job Site Today

rabafu

When Your Cabinet Decides It’s Time To Break Lose And Come Crashing Down The Day You Install Your Brand New Glass Top Stove​

When Your Cabinet Decides It’s Time To Break Lose And Come Crashing Down The Day You Install Your Brand New Glass Top Stove

thorisadog

Slipped In The Shower, Landed On The Toilet​

Slipped In The Shower, Landed On The Toilet

Bonsonoptic

110+ Mph Derecho Winds Impale House With Lawn Chair, Iowa 8/10​

110+ Mph Derecho Winds Impale House With Lawn Chair, Iowa 8/10

johntaylorsbangs

And The Job Went To The Lowest Bidder...​

And The Job Went To The Lowest Bidder...

MisterT12

After Losing 1/3rd Of My Weight, I Finally Didn't Feel Too Fat Anymore. The Toilet Disagreed​

After Losing 1/3rd Of My Weight, I Finally Didn't Feel Too Fat Anymore. The Toilet Disagreed

Mayung

When Your One Piece Sink/Counter Randomly Explodes At 3am​

When Your One Piece Sink/Counter Randomly Explodes At 3am

thetattoodguy

I Think I’m Going To Need A Bigger Bucket​

I Think I’m Going To Need A Bigger Bucket

TheNightMan5000

Saw This On Fb With Someone Asking For A Contractor​

Saw This On Fb With Someone Asking For A Contractor

King_Baboon

Gravity Wins. But I Live To Trip Another Day​

Gravity Wins. But I Live To Trip Another Day

Shaneblaster

Someone In My Town Fell 30’ Down A Well Through The Floor Of Their House They Didn’t Know Existed. Literally A Well That Sucked​

Someone In My Town Fell 30’ Down A Well Through The Floor Of Their House They Didn’t Know Existed. Literally A Well That Sucked

ItsJustGrandpa

Governor Just Ordered All “Non Life Sustaining” Businesses To Close, Including Construction And Contractors. This Is The Current State Of My Only Bathroom...​

Governor Just Ordered All “Non Life Sustaining” Businesses To Close, Including Construction And Contractors. This Is The Current State Of My Only Bathroom...

CarsonWentzylvania

Been Waiting 6 Weeks For A Rather Expensive Toilet So We Can Fit It At A Client's House, It Has Finally Arrived​

Been Waiting 6 Weeks For A Rather Expensive Toilet So We Can Fit It At A Client's House, It Has Finally Arrived

tommygun1234567890

My Roof Caved In Last Night​

My Roof Caved In Last Night

reddit.com

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,590 4,864 254
Alleybux

A Tree Tipped Over Onto My Apartment​

A Tree Tipped Over Onto My Apartment

OddFromEvryAngle

Good Morning​

Good Morning

reddit.com

My Brand New Smart TV Just Arrived!​

My Brand New Smart TV Just Arrived!

sizzlekid

My Bathroom Ceiling Collapsed Today. Oh And It Turns Out There's A Black Mold Infestation. Lovely​

My Bathroom Ceiling Collapsed Today. Oh And It Turns Out There's A Black Mold Infestation. Lovely

sertralineaspi

We Heard Crash In The Middle Of The Night - Though That Was A Thief But It Was This​

We Heard Crash In The Middle Of The Night - Though That Was A Thief But It Was This

agni_ka

Built A Brand New House And The Day Of Final Inspection Come To Find Its Infested With Mold​

Built A Brand New House And The Day Of Final Inspection Come To Find Its Infested With Mold

slothyio

Candle Was Super Fragrant Last Night... Now I Know Why!​

Candle Was Super Fragrant Last Night... Now I Know Why!

TomSF

So My Fridge Doors Just Fell Off...​

So My Fridge Doors Just Fell Off...

CaptnRaz

Got Up In The Middle Of The Night To Get A Drink Of Water, And When I Opened The Fridge The Door Fell Off In My Hand​

Got Up In The Middle Of The Night To Get A Drink Of Water, And When I Opened The Fridge The Door Fell Off In My Hand

ItsMeMurphYSlaw

More pics:

Yikes, things that they can avoid, but some of these homeowners are idiot.

boogie79

Bring my own fire, don't need security in the club
Reaction score
Reactions
88,518 1,691 131
Alleybux
Cannot go cheap when it comes to your house.

Last edited:

Hott_Damn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
250,142 7,507 440
Alleybux
That cat door! LMAO! Some of the other ones, like exploding sinks, and falling appliances and cabinets, are downright scary.

nsquared

spinning somewhere between ocean, land and sky
Reaction score
Reactions
137,410 2,202 256
Alleybux
I cannot. Everyone of those things would destroy me. I do not do surprises...at all!

boogie79

Bring my own fire, don't need security in the club
Reaction score
Reactions
88,518 1,691 131
Alleybux
That cat door! LMAO! Some of the other ones, like exploding sinks, and falling appliances and cabinets, are downright scary.
I would have marked the cat door while the door was still up.

The door coming off the refrigerators had me cracking up. How does that happen?

Honeydripper

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
108,256 6,297 2,486
Alleybux
That exploding sink could have killed somebody, a glass bowl of mine exploded on the counter, I was digging tiny shards put my thighs for days