Hopkins, 43, gives Pavlik first career loss in unanimous decision

Bobby Bieber

In Rehab
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
20,518 1 3
Alleybux
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -- Bernard Hopkins gave Kelly Pavlik a boxing lesson and a first loss that he will never forget.

The 43-year-old Hopkins used lightning quick combinations and a cagey, near-perfect defense to embarrass and confuse Pavlik in a 12-round non-title bout Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall.

Hopkins, who dominated the middleweight class for a decade, made the 26-year-old Pavlik -- the WBC and WBO middleweight champion -- look slow and powerless in fighting at 170 pounds, 10 pounds over his weight class.

"I think this was my best performance, better than (Antonio) Tarver, better than (Felix) Trinidad, better than Oscar (De La Hoya), better than my 21 defenses," Hopkins said. "I am extremely happy."

Hopkins received winning scores of 119-106 from judge Alan Rubenstein, 117-109 from Barbara Perez and 118-108 from Steve Weisfeld.

The mismatch was obvious from the opening bell, and Hopkins reveled in the beating he gave the Youngstown, Ohio boxer. By the fifth round, Pavlik was bleeding from the nose and by the seventh Hopkins was taunting him.

During one stretch in the round, Hopkins landed four or five straight punches, and then stepped back started winding up on his punches before delivering them.

"He was a great fighter but I knew my style and quickness was underrated and it was going to give him problems tonight," Hopkins added.

Pavlik (34-1) never stopped stalking Hopkins of Philadelphia, but he never seemed to hurt him.

"I just could not get off tonight," Pavlik said. "I don't know why? It was not his slickness. It just wasn't me out there tonight. I couldn't do anything I'm used to doing. We're going back to the drawing board. it just wasn't me tonight. I'll be more comfortable going back to 160."

With tinges of gray in his beard, Hopkins even looked the fresher fighter. He came into ring wearing an executioner's mask and black robe with an 'X' on both, and he terminated Pavlik's perfect mark in improving to (49-5-1).

The crowd had come to hail Pavlik, who had battered Gary Lockett in his first title defense in June.

When he was in trouble early, they chanted "Kel-lee! Kel-lee!"

Halfway through the fight the chants become "B-Hop! B-Hop!"

Hopkins landed a barrage of blows in the 12th round and started yelling at Pavlik in a move that was no more than a gleeful taunt.

"I wanted to pick it up and step it up," Hopkins said. "I wanted to stop him."

When the final bell sounded, both fighters continued to throw punches, forcing referee Benji Esteves to dive between them.

Hopkins then walked over to the television cameras and glared, wondering how so many had predicted that Pavlik would knock him out for the first time in his career.

In hindsight, it's a wonder Pavlik was still standing at the end.

Hopkins praised Pavlik after the fight.

"I was a fan of yours before the fight and I am a fan of yours now," Hopkins told Pavlik in the corner. "You just need to get a little more slickness. You need to bend you knees more like your coach was telling you. Middleweight is your destiny."

Bobby Bieber

In Rehab
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
20,518 1 3
Alleybux
Sports books were giving 4 to 1 odds on a BHop win AND odds on him being knocked out by Pavlik.

The general betting public loves non-black fighters. Problem is, he was fighting out of his weight class even though BHop is getting up in years.

...had to jump on it.

*makes executioner sign and heads to bank*

nolesfan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,369 2 36
Alleybux
Damn!! I knew he'd make a fight of it but I didn't think he'd dominate like that. I wonder who's next for B-Hop? Jermaine Taylor? Or maybe a rematch with Roy Jones Jr.

Bobby Bieber

In Rehab
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
20,518 1 3
Alleybux
He wants to fight Roy Jones.

Came across this quote from BHop. *leaves thread*

"Don't let this fight destroy you," Hopkins told him. "You're a great middleweight champion. You have a great heart. Keep your head up. Keep fighting. You have to learn one thing. You have to learn that slickness that black fighters have and then you'll really be a great champion. I don't want you to quit. If I have to go to your house and take you to the gym, I will."

lol

nolesfan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,369 2 36
Alleybux
Yeah, I was watching that HBO show leading up to the fight and his people just assumed because B-Hop was 43 that he was done. They thought Pavlik would be too aggressive for Hopkins.

:dead: @ personally taking him to the gym. lol

Robert Littal

CEO of BonaFide Media
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,628 2
Alleybux
My Thoughts On the Fight

http://*****************.com/index/2008/10/rlbhopperfection.html

Checkers

Americana
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
48,342 145 54
Alleybux
PHILLYYYYY STAND UP!!!!!!!!!

THE Executioner AINT DONE YET!!!!

PrimaDonna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,884 12 14
Alleybux
Awww that blows, Pavlick's story was a feel good one, I wanted him to win, Oh well!