Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
Hopkins bitter after loss

9 hours, 34 minutes ago

By Mark Staniforth Special to PA SportsTicker
LAS VEGAS (Ticker) - Joe Calzaghe battled his way back from a first-round knockdown to win a split decision over Bernard Hopkins at the Thomas & Mack Center, but the final bell did not spell the end of a fight week full of acrimony.
Hopkins fiercely protested the 116-111, 115-112, 113-114 verdict in favor of the Welshman, who had been sent to the canvas from a jolting right hand and struggled to combat the 43-year-old in the early rounds.
With the victory, Calzaghe stretched his unbeaten professional record to 45 fights and assumed the position of the world’s number one light-heavyweight in his debut at the weight. But it was a coronation bitterly opposed by Hopkins.

“I believe I won the fight,” Hopkins said. “I know questions will be asked and it was close. But when all is said and done history will reflect well on Bernard Hopkins. I got beaten tonight but it wasn’t by Joe Calzaghe.”
Perhaps it was not quite the conclusive style in which Calzaghe dreamed of winning his first fight in Las Vegas in front of a phalanx of A-list celebrities and almost 10,000 roaring Welsh supporters.
But Calzaghe gradually got to grips with the 43-year-old’s rough-house tactics, circled away from his most potent weapon and came on strongly to claim victory in a dominant second half of a grueling fight.
Calzaghe, who bled from the bridge of his nose in the opening round and was harshly penalized for a supposed low blow in round 10 from which panting Hopkins was given three minutes to recover, was in no mood for niceties.
“Hopkins was head-butting me, hitting me with low blows and cheating,” Calzaghe said. “He was holding me with one arm on the blind side of the referee and he was sticking his head in my face. He basically cheated and had five minutes off in the 10th round. He stopped my momentum by turning his back on me and feigning injury. It was ridiculous because I know I didn’t touch him.
“I had to keep my composure because I knew that if I retaliated I might get a point knocked off. He came to steal the fight and he was just trying to survive. He was knackered and there was no low blow.”
Hopkins’ refusal to accept his loss was predictable, but the verdicts allowed Calzaghe to pick up the nominal 175-pound ‘Ring’ magazine title to go with the undisputed super-middleweight crown he still owns.
Calzaghe is now likely to see his future at the higher weight. But he might have been having second thoughts when he swallowed a succession of early right hands, one of which sent him toppling back onto the canvas.
Calzaghe did not appear hurt and soon scrambled back onto his feet.
“When I went back to my corner my dad was wanting and raving and I told him I slipped, but I don’t think he bought that,” Calzaghe said. “I knew Hopkins was a good counter-puncher and I fell straight into the trap. I didn’t see the punch. I was momentarily stunned but I just got back to my business and fought more carefully.”
Calzaghe landed his first punch of note with a left hand in the second round, but he had an early points deficit to retrieve and only began showing signs of making inroads when he found his range late in round three.
Calzaghe began unloading towards the end of that third round, banging home a fine right hand as the American was backed against the ropes, but Hopkins again responded with rights to the body before the bell.
By the fourth, the Welshman was making Hopkins miss with his rights and landing accurate lefts in the increasingly fractious exchanges. With the fight in balance, the cleaner work in each round would prove crucial.
Hopkins, beginning to tire, increasingly sought refuge by skirting the rules. Round six ended with Calzaghe wrestled illegally to the canvas, and a jolting right on the bell to end round seven reminding the Welshman of the dangers.
When Hopkins went down in the 10th, doubling over in a neutral corner and protesting at length about the alleged low blow which replays suggested had never come, it seemed the desperate actions of a tired man.
But after a three-minute break, with furious Calzaghe briefly lured into a dangerous close-quarters tear-up, Hopkins arguably did enough to shade the round and leave the verdict still in the balance.
Hopkins tried to take another breather in the 11th but was ordered to fight on immediately by Cortez, again prompting another wild barrage by Calzaghe who slammed home a right hand which seemed to hurt Hopkins for the first time.
At the final bell, both men raised their arms to proclaim victory but it was Calzaghe who had done enough to add the best chapter yet to his remarkable career, and reign over two different divisions.
“The one thing missing from my record was to come to the US and beat one of the biggest names,” Calzaghe said. “It would have been easy to stay at home, have a few more fights and retire.
“I fought at a new weight for the first time and I was put down in the first round but I still managed to win. I showed the true heart of a champion. It hasn’t sunk in yet, but I’m sure it will in the next few days.”
Meanwhile Hopkins looks likely to head back towards temporary retirement, but there are few indications he will call it a day for good after holding back the years once again despite defeat.
“There comes a point where I know where I am in history,” Hopkins said. “Why keep pushing the envelope when you’ve accomplished everything? But I came back and made $20 million from my last three fights. There are a lot of things I am doing besides boxing and I have an eight-year-old daughter who wants me home more than away. I think it’s deserving that I give my only child some time.
“But the reason I came back after the two Jermain Taylor fights was to make history and prove I had a lot left. I have done that, and tonight you saw a true craftsman at work.”

bluebox

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
please! i was suprised that it was a split decision. the last half of the fight Calzaghe hands were too quick 4 Hopkins.

Ancestren

Walk with me
Reaction score
Reactions
17,740 33 32
Alleybux
Eh, so much for never allowing defeat from a white man, Man!! He's eating those words today.

Sonia_Fontana

<span style="font-style: italic;color: GRAY;"><spa
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Man I hate to watch B. Hop fight! Almost cant stand it, hes sooo freaking dirty! He uses his huge head as a weapon in every fight!!! Not to mention the plain BS with the arm holding... Boxing should make exceptions for his fights and put 2 refs in the ring to watch his dirty ass!!! UGGGGGHHHH Just cant stand him! Glad he lost! Now go home and dont come back!!

BluBerri

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,986 64 21
Alleybux
He just wants a rematch so he can get another paycheck. Whatev.

RuhObama

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
102,136 311 186
Alleybux
So true...Hopkins uses his head as a weapon. I guess he needs to because even tho he gets some good blows in...he's not as quick on the draw. He's always been a dirty fighter.

He lost. That's it. Calzaghe didn't inflict any major damage, but after round 4, he consistely stayed on top of Hopkins. I don't think Hopkins has another good fight in him. But, I'm pretty sure he's gone head back to the rign to redeem himself.

RuhObama

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
102,136 311 186
Alleybux
Calzaghe has a glass chin. It will be exposed at some point.

All those English dudes do. They are tough tho. Ricky Hatton is a tough little dude...until Mayweather beat that ass.

If Calzaghe fights Jones? My ass will be sitting right there with some cervezas on ice. That will be a bomb ass match.

Bobby Bieber

In Rehab
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
20,518 1 3
Alleybux
All those English dudes do. They are tough tho. Ricky Hatton is a tough little dude...until Mayweather beat that ass.

If Calzaghe fights Jones? My ass will be sitting right there with some cervezas on ice and three chirren on my lap with two or three more next to me. That will be a bomb ass match too bad i'll prolly miss the knockout because of a bathroom break.

Just for clarification purposes.

Blacklist

Bringin Sexy Back
Reaction score
Reactions
1,509 1 2
Alleybux
So who do you think really won?

Along with most of the ringside reporters, I would have said Hopkins won. He knocked Calzaghe down in the first round and Calzaghe threw a low blow. This was hardly Hopkins' best fight and he is clearly getting old. Be that as it may, however, Calzaghe didn't win that fight in my book.

Hopkins offended a lot of saltines when he declared that he wasn't going to let a whiteboy beat him. Having said that publicly, he of all people should have realized that the fix was in and he had better win that fight clearly. By allowing the fight to be decided by judges on points, he gave the boxing establishment an opening to screw him and he was guaranteed to lose.

tallsy

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Oh, I have to disagree there. The boxing media was very divided. ESPN, Yahoo!, and the AP had Hopkins winning 114-113. That's a single point. Maxboxing.com, both the Las Vegas newspapers, and the Boston papers had Calzaghe.

I'm leaving out British and Philly stuff, because there biased. Even if you think that Hopkins won, which is very possible. To say the "fix was in" demeans the sport. It was a very close fight, where Hopkins won the first half and got a knockdown and Calzaghe dominated the second half with handspeed and workrate. Different judges will have different opinions.

Moses

The Original Moses
Reaction score
Reactions
6,161 2
Alleybux
He really needs to take his old ass and sit down somewhere. Stop making promises and start training some young guys while you still have something left. Just not enough left to rule, just enough to train.....go do that :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.