The fight is tonight at 9:45 Pacific.

calzaghehopkinsEPA_450x300.jpg

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/

Cutie Rock

BritLihtfrmaDstntStr
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I have faith and vbucks in Hopkins, too bad I won't be able see the fight.

.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
I'm still undecided.

.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
HOPKINS' FIGHT COULD GET 'UGLY'

By GEORGE WILLIS

article_storybottom.gif

April 19, 2008 -- LAS VEGAS - "I'll never lose to a white boy. I'll never lose to a white boy." That's how Bernard Hopkins began his psychological warfare with Joe Calzaghe. It came during an impromptu meeting in the media center during the Floyd Mayweather-Ricky Hatton fight here last December.
The taunt came after Calzaghe had chastised Hopkins for his back-to-back losses to Jermain Taylor, prompting Hopkins to shout the racial retaliation. Apparently, it is acceptable to lose to Taylor, a fellow African-American. But losing to Calzaghe, a pale-skinned Welshman, means a loss of street cred.
In essence, Hopkins has backed himself into a corner for tonight's light heavyweight showdown at the Thomas & Mack Center (HBO, 10 p.m. ET). But this bout, scheduled for 12 rounds, is hardly as black and white as it may seem.
Calzaghe is the betting favorite. He is unbeaten in 44 fights with 32 wins by knockout. He has been the reigning 168-pound champion for 10 years, making 21 titles defenses. At age 36, he is seven years younger than Hopkins and his relentless punching style and continuous movement has helped him dominate previously unbeaten opponents in Jeff Lacey and Mikkel Kessler.
"I 100 percent feel there's no way he can beat me," Calzaghe said of Hopkins. "He can't outbox me and he can't outfight me."
Calzaghe, a southpaw, has a right to be confident, but he would wise to be wary of Hopkins, one of the savviest boxers to ever step foot in a ring. It's the intangibles that favor Hopkins, the long-time middleweight champ. This will be Calzaghe's first fight ever fight on America soil and it will be Calzaghe's first at light heavyweight. Both weighed in at 173 yesterday.
Look for Hopkins' head and elbows to be additional weapons. Hopkins will need to inflict that kind of damage on Calzaghe in order for the Philadelphia native to have a chance to win. The uglier the fight, the better it will be for Hopkins.
PREDICTION: Calzaghe by decision.
* Long Island native Matt Serra defends his UFC welterweight title tonight against former champion Georges St-Pierre in a pay-per-view bout from Montreal.

nolesfan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,369 2 36
Alleybux
I'm leaning towards putting $50 million on Hopkins. I haven't decided though.

.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
I'm leaning towards putting $50 million on Hopkins. I haven't decided though.

When it comes to boxing, I always bet on black. I just knew that Oscar was going to beat Floyd though and I was wrong. I went against my gut and put 50M on Calzaghe. I may put up a bet for Bernard for insurance.

Warda.

<span style="color: 0033FF;"><span style="color: 0
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
32,928 9 3
Alleybux
umm..I put 25 M on Hopkins but these things NEVER work out for me..lol we will see.

.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
Hmmm...**goes to put another grip on Joe**

Roy Jones Jr: "I Want Joe Calzaghe Next"

During a recent interview with Frank Warren TV, former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr. called for a fight with Joe Calzaghe, provided that he beats Bernard Hopkins on Saturday night in Las Vegas. Jones is willing to fly to Calzaghe backyard of Wales to make the fight.

"That's a fight we are going to make if he's successful," Jones said. "I'll go (over to Wales) because I have to give the people what they want."

Jones feels that Hopkins will make it a dirty fight to nullify Calzaghe's speed, but Joe's boxing skills and quicker reflexes will guide him to victory.

"I see it as a very interesting fight. I think Hopkins will make it a dirty fight. I'm sure he has a gameplan to come out and do something about the punch output of Joe Calzaghe, but I think that if Joe keeps his head - he beats Bernard all night. There will be dirty tactics because he has to slow Joe down from throwing so many punches. He won't do that by throwing a lot of counter punches. He will counter punch and then hold, counter punch and then hold," Jones said.

"It's probably going to be a lot more of a holding match than a fighting match. Joe needs to outsmart him, outbox him and stay on the outside and just beat him. Hopkins is not that fast of a fighter. Joe can stay on the outside and outbox him all night. He needs to be smart and very patient. I think he will win it because he works to much for Hopkins."

.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
Enzo: "Hopkins Can't Foul Like a Coward"

“I can tell you right now, Bernard Hopkins will look for a disqualification rather than lose to Joe. If Hopkins’ is such a legend, he needs to prove it. He needs to fight like a man not foul like a coward.”

“A DQ is the only chance Hopkins has to stop Joe. I’m convinced that Hopkins is coming in to spoil it not win it because he can’t win it and he knows it. Just look at his last three fights. It’s head first and punch after.” Real TALK just like with Winky

“Joe will win the fight. It doesn’t matter if it’s in the first round or the final round. I just want it to be a good fight, but it takes two to make that happen.”

“We are here for only one reason. Joe wanted to be here and he wanted to fight Hopkins. We make more money fighting in the UK and Joe attracts many more fans there. But this was the only way Joe could get Hopkins in the ring and we weren’t going to let him slip off the hook again.”

“There is no burden on Joe to change his style for this fight. Joe’s style is what makes him unique and unbeatable. Why change what works so well? I have a lot of respect for Hopkins’ dream team of trainers, but they can’t go into the ring with him on fight night. With all his expertise in his training camp, Hopkins has no excuse for fighting a dirty fight.”

“Bernard Hopkins is not the best fighter Joe has fought. Kessler is younger, faster and stronger than Hopkins. Bernard Hopkins is going to ride off into the sunset on April 19 and Joe Calzaghe is going to be the one who slaps the horse’s arse.”

HOPKINS' TRAINERS

Nazim Richardson

“Bernard’s a better fighter when he’s an underdog. It really works for Bernard. When he’s told he can’t do something is when he’s at his best.”

“Some people want to be stars and say whatever they have to do to be stars. Because of Joe’s record I have to respect him. But not when it comes down to mechanics.”

“Bernard can study you while he’s boxing you. He can see a shot and he might wait until the 7th or 8th round to take it. You can’t teach that.”

“Knowing Bernard for so many years and knowing where he came from, the hunger he has is not a surprise.”

“Bottom line is you’re not fighting activity, he’s (Bernard) fighting accuracy.”

“I’m really not impressed with Joe’s fundamentals. I’m impressed with what he’s done with the lack there of.”

“Every time I’ve seen Calzaghe in a fight, he looks across the ring and he’s supposed to win. You’re looking at the puzzle that is Calzaghe, but you’re forgetting the puzzle that is Hopkins.”

“When you look at Calzaghe’s opponents, you have to look at who they beat to really see how good they are.”

“Bernard’s experience will be too much for Calzaghe.”

“You have to trust the judges while you’re in there. Every man would be more comfortable putting the other man on the center of the canvas. But during the fight you just need to put in work.”

Freddie Roach

“Calzaghe’s style is a little bit different. It’s not hard to figure out. He fights the same fight every time, but he’s very effective with it.”

“Bernard’s always in shape. But he’s in much better shape in this fight. It’s only 5 pounds more, but he’s much stronger with this fight.”

“Bernard knows more about boxing than all of us. He’s the world champ and he’s been in there forever.”

“There are certain adjustments that you have to make when you fight a righty or a southpaw, and Joe doesn’t make those changes.”

“I don’t think he’s fought anyone like Hopkins. Jeff Lacy is not as smart as Bernard. Bernard’s smart, he’s a smart guy…I believe Bernard will control the fight.”

“He (Bernard) walks me into punches sometimes while we’re training. And I know it’s not malicious or because I’m a white guy.”

“Bernard’s like Joe Louis. He’s a text book fighter. His hands are up, his feet are set. He’s a very smart fighter.”

“I hope the British people boo us. I like that we’re an underdog.”

“Losing to a guy like Bernard Hopkins is not a disgrace. And at the same time losing to a guy like Joe Calzaghe is not a disgrace. “

“Odds-wise I’d make it even money if I was the odds maker…I’ve only bet on a couple of fighters in my career, but I’m going to bet on this fight.

Cutie Rock

BritLihtfrmaDstntStr
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Dang, yesterday I thought I made a post about now I had a feeling Hopkins was not going to win.

Harumph! Oh well. For the first time, my instincts were right and they paid off. Not as much as I wanted, but I made a little change on return.

RuhObama

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
102,138 311 186
Alleybux
Hopkins needs to sit down. Calzaghe handeled his ass. I thought Hopkins might have a chance after the knockdown in the first round, but after the fourth round, it was quite obvious his old ass was getting worn out.

He's 43 years old. He sounds punchy. Please Bernard...stop it.

I am NOT excited about DeLaHoya's next fight. WhoTF is Steve Forbes?

...Keyser Soze

Snow Bunny Chaser
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,324 3 2
Alleybux
Hopkins needs to sit down. Calzaghe handeled his ass. I thought Hopkins might have a chance after the knockdown in the first round, but after the fourth round, it was quite obvious his old ass was getting worn out.

He's 43 years old. He sounds punchy. Please Bernard...stop it.

clearly your love for "all things white" has led to this bias synopsis:rolleyes:

...Keyser Soze

Snow Bunny Chaser
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,324 3 2
Alleybux
I don't think I was one of the judges last night sooooo I'm not alone in my view. :irked:

Bernard...is that you?
I too watched the fight round by round....and a couple things stuck out to me.......chez whitey neva landed a "clean" shot on Bernard :nah: and neva and I mean neva was Bernard in trouble in that fight... Also ...wudn't Bernard the Champ? I agree he's old and does not have that "crowd pleaser" activity in the ring that he had as a youngsta..but he took chez whitey to school last nite..... he frustrated him ...made him fight his fight and oh did I forget "put him on his ash in the 1st round... that last judge score'n 116-111 in favor of chez whitey was flat out ridiculous.....back in the ole' days ..you used to have to "take" the belt away from the champ....clearly this is a conspiracy to try and preserve the sport as a Calzaghe/Jones card will make the most money in the next year:rolleyes: so sitcho love'n "all thinggs white" ash down somewhere :irked:

RuhObama

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
102,138 311 186
Alleybux
I too watched the fight round by round....and a couple things stuck out to me.......chez whitey neva landed a "clean" shot on Bernard :nah: and neva and I mean neva was Bernard in trouble in that fight... Also ...wudn't Bernard the Champ? I agree he's old and does not have that "crowd pleaser" activity in the ring that he had as a youngsta..but he took chez whitey to school last nite..... he frustrated him ...made him fight his fight and oh did I forget "put him on his ash in the 1st round... that last judge score'n 116-111 in favor of chez whitey was flat out ridiculous.....back in the ole' days ..you used to have to "take" the belt away from the champ....clearly this is a conspiracy to try and preserve the sport as a Calzaghe/Jones card will make the most money in the next year:rolleyes: so sitcho love'n "all thinggs white" ash down somewhere :irked:

:nah: Hopkins got beat homie. He started to slow down around round five. He found a good fight, but Calzaghe just wore him down. Maybe the scores coulda been closer, but Hopkins lost that bout.

I'm sure if there was a blasian/hispanic fighter...you'd be all over it...keep it up Bootleg Saber toof. :irked:

...Keyser Soze

Snow Bunny Chaser
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,324 3 2
Alleybux
:nah: Hopkins got beat homie. He started to slow down around round five. He found a good fight, but Calzaghe just wore him down. Maybe the scores coulda been closer, but Hopkins lost that bout.

I'm sure if there was a blasian/hispanic fighter...you'd be all over it...keep it up Bootleg Saber toof. :irked:
that's the thing... he neva was in a hurry in the 1st place.....he came into the fight with a reputation as a solid counter puncher...and he executed that plan to the fullest....again look at the shots Calzaghe was throw'n....I could've taken those (actually at 6 4' 230...I would have taken them and knock'd boaf dey punk ashes out) they were pity pats for the entire fight..you saw a man lose a title last nite as a result of being outworked....nothing more...nothing less!!

PetulantSoup

Extraordinary Machine.
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
9,011 70 27
Alleybux
Steve Forbes was a contestant on The Contender.
OT: Last night's fight was boring as fµck.

nolesfan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,369 2 36
Alleybux
Hopkins lost that fight on points. And the fact that he was countering with ONE right hand punch. He kept leading with his head. I didn't see many combos from him either.

It was good NOT to see Larry Merchant there last night. lol

...Keyser Soze

Snow Bunny Chaser
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,324 3 2
Alleybux
Hopkins lost that fight on points. And the fact that he was countering with ONE right hand punch. He kept leading with his head. I didn't see many combos from him either.

It was good NOT to see Larry Merchant there last night. lol
I agree ..but he was the champ and he did drop chez whitey in the 1st round....plus I thought his game plan was effective..against a younger fresher fighter..that 116-111 told me all I needed to know!! Joe Calzaghe did not "take" the title away from Hopkins ...he was given it!!JMO

nolesfan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,369 2 36
Alleybux
That's probably true but Hopkins seem to take a few of the middle rounds off. I don't know what that 116-111 judge was thinking. The 3rd, 5th, & 7th rounds could have gone either way.

...Keyser Soze

Snow Bunny Chaser
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,324 3 2
Alleybux
That's probably true but Hopkins seem to take a few of the middle rounds off. I don't know what that 116-111 judge was thinking. The 3rd, 5th, & 7th rounds could have gone either way.
which I thought was brilliant consider'n the man is 43 yrs of age....but what baffles me is how they can landslide the fight against the "champ" when he was never in any danger at anytime in the fight!

nolesfan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,369 2 36
Alleybux
That's why I don't like listening to the analysis, cause they try to spin the fight a certain way. I'd like to see how Calzaghe fairs against Roy Jones Jr. Roy is way quicker than Hopkins, and Calzaghe showed he has a glass chin.

tallsy

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
The 116-111 score was out of control, but I have no problem with the result. Calzaghe dominated the second half of the fight, and Hopkins only threw one punch at a time.

And enough of this "you have to take the belt away from the champ" ish. Talk to any PROFESSIONAL judge in boxing. You score the rounds based on who you think wins them, THAT'S IT. You don't score the fight, and then give bonus points to the champ at the end.

As for RJJ, he's much quicker and punches harder than Hopkins. OTOH, his defense isn't as good any more. It will definitely be a more exciting fight.

.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux

I don't know who Steve Forbes is but that HBO show that follows the boxers leading up to the fight will surely get you interested in a fight that you were otherwise not interested in. I'm all in now. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.