Quantcast

How anti—black were your older black relatives?

LoLu10Plus

Laughter is the best medicine.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
My family was never anti-black, but there was a fair amount of colorism displayed by some of the older members of my family. My parents, aunts, and uncles put a stop to that.

Agent Syd

If I'm on timeout, it's because I called out a yt
Reaction score
Reactions
150,201 5,125 2,822
Alleybux
The only thing I have to add is that the older my grandfather got, the more violently anti white he became. To give a timeline on this, my at the time mid 50's mother said she started hearing my grandfather get less and less tolerant of offay fuckery around the time she was 6. By the time he died in 2009 he was BEYOND done with them all. I guess I take after my grandpa after all, lol. I miss him.

W I L L O W

Not home yet
Reaction score
Reactions
241,789 11,068 2,900
Alleybux
My grandma is a colorist. She actually treats her darker skinned grand kids better than her lighter skinned ones(even to a point when it's foul) , including her own children. Loves ds black men ironically.

Holds colorist ideas that dark skinned people should stay away from any light, bright colors that is not white. Dark skinned people should stay away from the sun in her opinion and darker skin is only pretty and worthy when the person themselves are pretty. Light skinned people aren't automatically good looking to her either. To her, ls people should never have acne because they're too light skinned and if they're ugly she says, "that person's too ugly to be so light". Uses people's skin tone as insults (light or dark) Just very color obsessed in general.

Has a very odd angelic view of white people sometimes, even though she was born and raised in a state that was once filled with KKK chiefs and members. She thinks of them as somewhat better than the black community. Also reserves certain interests into racial categories. If they don't like basketball, or listen to rap, or anything else stereotypically black, then they must be white or white identified.

Prettyeyes212

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,336 3,910 2,264
Alleybux
Whew thank god I’m from a family without all these issues.

now we’re a messy bunch, but I never heard antiblack comments from elders

Andenam

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,551 232 411
Alleybux
My black grandfather is a Trump supporter who thinks Nancy Pelosi and the gays are the reason why California is always on fire.

Last edited:

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
I noticed that among a certain set of older black folks, they sound exactly like a klan member.
My dad is mixed race (biracial) and my mother is full black..so back when my parents got together my paternal grandmother and relatives on my dads side didn't even like the fact that my dad was with my mum in the first place.

My relatives in my dads side of the family usually only marry/date other biracial people, or white people.

And I remember hearing comments from both sides of the family about my "nice colour" throughout my life and how me and my siblings in general all "luckily" have nice light brown skin tones.

My youngest sister is super pale like a Rashida Jones type of skin tone, with light brown curly hair, power of genetics I guess, and the amount of attention paid to her by some of the elders in my family is borderline sad...

And I remember once my dark skin cousin made a joke about me having 4C hair in comparison to my sisters 3A-3C hair type....

There is a lot to unpack with some of my family members.

24HRGRACE

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,079 2,171 1,535
Alleybux
Although I love my Granny dearly, she's Spanish, Irish, and Black very fair skin and a colorist. I remember at the age of eighteen hearing her refer to her grandchildren who's father is Latin as her Love Muffins...at one point in a phone conversation she compared my tail to a slave in the Roots series lmao.

I had the last laugh though because I became a model and she was able to see me in magazines before her passing, something we could relate on. I love that woman but color was always something I knew was different between us, I remember being a child opening my Christmas gift at her home not knowing she was my Granny, I seriously thought to myself who is this sickly old white woman siting on the couch lol.

As I got older she seemed more Latin and black, and gave me a letter with all of our family history, names ect, I miss her dearly she's my Angel now and she also became sweeter with age.

goldenaqua

California Sweetheart ♥️
Reaction score
Reactions
250,891 12,128 2,568
Alleybux
I would say colorist more than anything else. I always wondered why when my sister and I would hang out with our extended family on our moms side how nice and endearing they were to us but very aggressive and violent with the other kids who just so happened to be darker skinned.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,637 1,930 267
Alleybux
Disgraceful, so. I don’t understand how I turned out so different from my family.

DaSepticTank

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,181 128 441
Alleybux
My black grandfather is a Trump supporter who thinks Nancy Pelosi and the gays are the reason why California is always on fire.
The older folks in my family seem to have conservative/right wing-leaning beliefs, but they, at least those who still care about politics, customarily vote Democrat.