How Come Mary J Blige isnt Considered a Sex Symbol?

BANNED
Reactions
86,856 7,338 9,881
Alleybux
For the record (y'all finna groan, but whatevs), I also don't think Mariah Carey is naturally sexy.

She tries to be, but it just comes across as a woman play acting like she's sexy.

Alicia Keys wasn't pushed as a sex symbol, either.

I doubt skin color has anything to do with sex appeal.

Some folks have it, and some folks don't.
MC and Akeys arent facially attractive

Last edited:
I am smart. I am tough. I will always be enough!
Reactions
229,517 5,391 1,357
Alleybux
MC and Akeys are facially attractive

So is Mary, but none of them are sex symbols.

I honestly don't even know why OP would wish for Mary or any of these women to be sex symbols.

They are stars and divas in their own right and deserve their accolades without having to be "sexy" on top of everything else.

BANNED
Reactions
86,856 7,338 9,881
Alleybux
So is Mary, but none of them are sex symbols.

I honestly don't even know why OP would wish for Mary or any of these women to be sex symbols.

They are stars and divas in their own right and deserve their accolades without having to be "sexy" on top of everything else.

I mean arent. They were never facially attractive

Reactions
13,864 493 270
Alleybux
why.....why why why...
it was several things.
her image wasn't trashy + she is dark skinned + in a colorist music industry.

The rule is that if you're a dark skinned black woman in hip hop, you don't get to be considered a 'sex symbol' unless you wear skimpy clothes and talk nonstop about your WAP.

Refer to:
MV5BNTY2NDA5ODE1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk3NTk2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

lil kim

15mag-megantheestallion-03-mediumSquareAt3X-v3.jpg

meg

foxy-brown1.jpg

foxy brown

those were the only dark skinned "sex symbols" i can think of in the music industry.
and what do they all have in common? Rapping about WAPS and oversexualizing themselves, constantly throwing the ass back. If you're not doing that, and you're their complexion, then....
I actually feel like your on to something and I agree. She also doesn’t bring any sex appeal like you stated she doesn’t wear skimpy clothes and her overall brand is not sex

Reactions
21,795 96 28
Alleybux
She’s always been everyone’s favorite auntie but she is beautiful. She was all about being a scorned woman. TLC and Aaliyah weren’t overtly sexy either, but they made sexy music which helped them become sex symbols. I don’t think I have 1 Mary J. song on my sexy time playlist but that’s okay. She’s on my fuck that ninja playlist tho.

#rebel
Time Out
Reactions
43,541 3,677 7,473
Alleybux
She’s always been everyone’s favorite auntie but she is beautiful. She was all about being a scorned woman. TLC and Aaliyah weren’t overtly sexy either, but they made sexy music which helped them become sex symbols. I don’t think I have 1 Mary J. song on my sexy time playlist but that’s okay. She’s on my fuck that ninja playlist tho.

Yasssss, boo!

must be black and woman to talk to me
Reactions
8,628 21 15
Alleybux
auntie mary never carried herself like one which is absolutely fine. not everyone needs to be looked at as a sex symbol.

Reactions
17,719 564 786
Alleybux
She always was sexy. I used to do things to my 13 year old self when the U Remind Me remix and Reminisce videos would come on.

I think to an extent she might not have felt comfortable doing that though, because I think she had self image issues. She's talked before about feeling insecure about her looks when she was young (colorism/hair stuff).

LittleDarling
Reactions
57,051 5,490 16,107
Alleybux
She gives auntie vibes.

She’s more woman “sexy”, not man “sexy”.

She also doesn’t have a very sexual image, which is good tbh. Never posed for playboy, doesn’t seem all tooprovocative like lil Kim or Meg the Horse.
Exactly, Mary j never wanted to be a sex symbol, she carved her lane.

Reactions
9,593 181 133
Alleybux
She wasn’t an “auntie” - weird, as if aunts can’t be sexy, anyway, she came out as an around the way chick singing her soul out to R&B/hip hop beats. She dressed like a young woman and acted like a young woman of the 90s/2000s. She didn’t wear frocks or anything, she wore sexy clothes like everyone else. I think it was just her vibe that was more on some “broken hearted hood chick/hard knocks” type vibe. Not really sexy in and of itself, but she was always pretty and fly.

Reactions
6,910 70 22
Alleybux
Common thought she was sexy (all while being on some creep shit)...

“eyes on the thighs of Mary J. Blige/imagining how good the cat must be” - Common on “Nag Champa”

Reactions
2,495 5 1
Alleybux
I think she's known more for her music than for her body if that makes sense. She was marketed in a way that wasn't overtly sexual, which I'm actually grateful for.

Somewhere with my foot on Condi’s neck
Reactions
77,167 1,682 1,739
Alleybux
Mary is a beautiful woman. She’s just got a hard exterior and rugged personality...especially back in the day when she first came out. She’s calmed down tremendously since then.

Her poor styling over the years take away from her beauty too.

Reactions
1,852 53 65
Alleybux
MJB came up career wise (90s) when there where so many other beautiful black singers she just didn't stand out. That plus the Bad Boy/Puffs camp was filled with models and gorgeous women constantly.

Puff also intentionally marketed her as a tomboy with a voice. By the time she came out of that she was old (by industry standards) and a new group of young hot girls had emerged.

She is very beautiful and I like her dancing lol. I'm loving her on Power too.

Reactions
9,302 415 569
Alleybux
*Smh/Lol* I don't know which eras some of you were either born into, or came in on the tail end of, but if my memory serves me correct, around the way girls, like Mary, were every bit loved and celebrated by many dudes, especially the fellas from the hood, or who just love women like Mary. When she dropped the videos "Real Love" and "Reminisce," dudes would go ape over her bod, especially ass. Hell, even the late Biggie Smalls gave ode to then would be future QUEEN OF HIP HOP SOUL.

#rebel
Time Out
Reactions
43,541 3,677 7,473
Alleybux
*Smh/Lol* I don't know which eras some of you were either born into, or came in on the tail end of, but if my memory serves me correct, around the way girls, like Mary, were every bit loved and celebrated by many dudes, especially the fellas from the hood, or who just love women like Mary. When she dropped the videos "Real Love" and "Reminisce," dudes would go ape over her bod, especially ass. Hell, even the late Biggie Smalls gave ode to then would be future QUEEN OF HIP HOP SOUL.

WOw. You finally said something positive about Mary.

Reactions
3,157 2
Alleybux
I remember alot of Black guys who thought Mary was sexy back in the day. I wish yall would stop judging Black celebrities beauty by white publications of the era. They rarely gave Whitney, Janet, Vanessa, Nia, Vivica, Toni, Aaliyah, and others credit for their beauty outside of moments here and there.

BANNED
Reactions
86,856 7,338 9,881
Alleybux
MJB came up career wise (90s) when there where so many other beautiful black singers she just didn't stand out. That plus the Bad Boy/Puffs camp was filled with models and gorgeous women constantly.

Puff also intentionally marketed her as a tomboy with a voice. By the time she came out of that she was old (by industry standards) and a new group of young hot girls had emerged.

She is very beautiful and I like her dancing lol. I'm loving her on Power too.

What voice?

I'm the leader of bad bitches.
Reactions
40,982 2,118 3,945
Alleybux
I remember alot of Black guys who thought Mary was sexy back in the day. I wish yall would stop judging Black celebrities beauty by white publications of the era. They rarely gave Whitney, Janet, Vanessa, Nia, Vivica, Toni, Aaliyah, and others credit for their beauty outside of moments here and there.

These days people confuse sexy with trashy. For example, J.Lo sells sex appeal and she has it, but I personally find her to be trashy, slutty, and try hard at times.

Queen MJB was a sex symbol because she was the typical round the way girl that was down to earth, had street smarts, was down with the black community, never had to put on the stank Hollywood attitude, and her music moved even the hardest hood dude's soul.

The fonts in here calling her an unsexy auntie sound like ignorant children, and MJB's career started when I was an infant.

Beauty and sex appeal is just subjective and as personal as the person making the judgement own tastes. Her ex K-ci was a sex symbol himself, so she was sexy to young black men in her younger days.

The Culture

Television Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Recent Posts

America in the Biden-Harris Era Tarot Tea Thread III
Never saw the birther for mother used anywhere, not twitter, FB, or any comment EXCEPT on parler watch and GAB watch on reddit, it's new lies...
Ma'khia Bryant's family tell their story of what happened before the shooting
that was so hard to read, all those names and roles...what a complicated mess. Sad, those kids have 2 living parents and left on their own...
The Henry Cavill Appreciation & (Former) Harem Meet-up Thread (Part 6)
That man knows exactly what he's freaking doing with those posts! You can even see it in the 'on top' video where he gets this shit eating grin on...
Have you ever "dumped" a friend?
Yes I have. She was regressing and wanted to get into stealing. I"m not down with that. I literally stopped answering her phone calls whenever she...
Mom says she dont want to see us until we are vaccinated!
#TeamMom #TeamScience The thing about science is that... scientists question everything. Sweety, you aren't team science, lmao.
Which celebrities do you find
Sade,Boy George,Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor(drummer for Queen and also the one hitting those falsetto notes),El Debarge.
Has there ever been successful instance where a woman has “changed” a man?
One of my good male friends is happily married because his then-girlfriend let him know that she wasn't going to marry him unless he went to...
Top Bottom