How did you learn to edit videos?!

Computina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,562 1,439 391
Alleybux
Hey y'all,

Digital art is a fairly new hobby of mine and I would like to learn how to edit videos. I learn photo editing tricks by following along youtube tutorials but I find it to be more tricky with videos.
I found imovie to be limited so I got Final Cut Pro.
Anyone has sound advice on how to get better?

Mzjanet331

I poisoned your tea
Reaction score
Reactions
26,195 1,581 2,831
Alleybux
Youtube? No really, this is a fantastic way to learn. I learned all of what I know from watching some AMAZING tutorials on Adobe Premier, and Adobe After Effects. I've actually been editing videos for years; starting back in the mid-late 00's when I was using Sony Vegas to make YTP's.

Here's some really great channels to go subscribe to-
Justin Odisho
Olufemii tutorials
Tutvid
The Buff Nerds
Ignace Aleya

I learned how to edit videos, and do so much more; and in a really short time period.

Last edited:

TheQueensSpeech

On Savile Row with my Corgis
Reaction score
Reactions
11,384 440 476
Alleybux
Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects are superior to Final Cut Pro, I learned how to use the software in Uni but my lecturer told us to also use tutorials and that's where I gained most of my skills.

YouTube is a great place for tutorials, I still use it now when I want to learn new styles.

Computina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,562 1,439 391
Alleybux
Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects are superior to Final Cut Pro, I learned how to use the software in Uni but my lecturer told us to also use tutorials and that's where I gained most of my skills.

YouTube is a great place for tutorials, I still use it now when I want to learn new styles.

I'm using Final Cut Pro for now because I don't want to commit to a monthly plan right now to get the adobe programs. And because I'm still a novice, I would rather use a program that's more beginner friendly. I find adobe programs to be a bit daunting.

Computina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,562 1,439 391
Alleybux
Youtube? No really, this is a fantastic way to learn. I learned all of what I know from watching some AMAZING tutorials on Adobe Premier, and Adobe After Effects. I've actually been editing videos for years; starting back in the mid-late 00's when I was using Sony Vegas to make YTP's.

Justin Odisho
Olufemii tutorials
Tutvid
The Buff Nerds

I learned how to edit videos, and do so much more; and in a really short time period.

Thank you so much! I know it comes down to how fast you pick up skills but what was your "routine"? Were you practicing every day?

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
I took a videography course which taught me how to edit in Premiere and Final Cut Pro. I then supplemented that education using YouTube tutorials.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,065 59 7
Alleybux
I took video and studio production classes in high school where I learned imovie and FCP, but I transitioned to Sony Vegas, then premiere by watching youtube videos and doing online practice projects.

GoyardSuprem

Hmmm...that's weird.
Reaction score
Reactions
58,942 1,045 229
Alleybux
Youtube and just tooling around with the software. I took some video classes, but I always learned more on my own.

Mzjanet331

I poisoned your tea
Reaction score
Reactions
26,195 1,581 2,831
Alleybux
Thank you so much! I know it comes down to how fast you pick up skills but what was your "routine"? Were you practicing every day?

Oh yeah! LOL it was my life. I would come home every day and even before doing my homework, I would work on editing videos of whatever. How I learned so quickly was by just following along with the tutorial on how to do X, Y, Z!

MichaelMYERS

Stalking Laurie Strode's ass since 1978
Reaction score
Reactions
309,304 4,737 1,693
Alleybux
I started on Windows Movie Maker in the early 00s. Than I used iMovie when I first brought my Macbook. Than I watched some tutorials for Final Cut Pro on Youtube when I wanted to start making my own Youtube videos. Than got introduced to Premiere Pro & After Effects in my video production classes. Now I want to get more into video production again and now I'm watching people like
YGImaging
Peter Mckinnon
Cinecom
Steven Van
and lots more

Justin Odisho
Olufemii tutorials
Tutvid
The Buff Nerds
Ignace Aleya

I like to watch some of these people's tutorials too.

Video editing can be tedious but it is really fun and cool especially when you get that final result that you were aiming for.

Moon Dog

You Gonna Get This Work!
Reaction score
Reactions
11,772 532 169
Alleybux
Hey y'all,

Digital art is a fairly new hobby of mine and I would like to learn how to edit videos. I learn photo editing tricks by following along youtube tutorials but I find it to be more tricky with videos.
I found imovie to be limited so I got Final Cut Pro.
Anyone has sound advice on how to get better?

A thousand hours of working on that skill.

I learned how to edit from animation (yes animation), jackie chan movies, and books. My whole style of editing is for the the thing to make sense. If I can't watch it in silence then either I messed up or it just specific to a certain style

Last edited:

Surreal

⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
241,901 7,371 6,305
Alleybux
I've been editing fan made music videos on and off since 2004. I got into it because I was a big fan of Xena Warrior Princess and people would make fan videos of that online and I wanted to be able to make my own. I started with Windows Movie Maker- the 98 version, then moved on to Windows Movie Maker 2 and then I used Sony Vegas Pro 9, and now I use Sony Vegas Pro 12. I haven't made a video, mind you, since 2014. It's an on and off again hobby, like I said. I get really into it for a while, then get busy doing other things and end up not making a video for years. But when I'm into it, I'm really into it. I could spend hours making a video and whenever I heard a new song I liked, all I could think about was making a video for it.

I learned simply by doing. No tutorials (except to learn how to color). Just learned as I went. I got better with practice. I only know how to work with Sony Vegas Pro. I haven't used any of the other software. I use Sony Vegas Pro still to edit clips to make my avatars.

These were my latest videos I made back in 2014:

Last edited:

Computina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,562 1,439 391
Alleybux
I've been editing fan made music videos on and off since 2004. I got into it because I was a big fan of Xena Warrior Princess and people would make fan videos of that online and I wanted to be able to make my own. I started with Windows Movie Maker- the 98 version, then moved on to Windows Movie Maker 2 and then I used Sony Vegas Pro 9, and now I use Sony Vegas Pro 12. I haven't made a video, mind you, since 2014. It's an on and off again hobby, like I said. I get really into it for a while, then get busy doing other things and end up not making a video for years. But when I'm into it, I'm really into it. I could spend hours making a video and whenever I heard a new song I liked, all I could think about was making a video for it.

I learned simply by doing. No tutorials (except to learn how to color). Just learned as I went. I got better with practice. I only know how to work with Sony Vegas Pro. I haven't used any of the other software. I use Sony Vegas Pro still to edit clips to make my avatars.

These were my latest videos I made back in 2014:

Wow! I'm really in awe! I hope I can get to your level soon.
So far I know how to cut, add transitions and text but I need to up my creativity and learn how to use effects and colours as well as in video animation. Those are my goals.

SheaButterGirl

Reiner Braun' s Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
7,293 232 68
Alleybux
I know this thread is old but does anyone know where to get movies/tv shows/etc from? Or does everyone just use pirate?

lamontep49

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
183 39 7
Alleybux
really just played with different apps and then start watching tutorials on stuff i wanted to learn to do. always have loved to do it

IceCold718

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,780 1,587 360
Alleybux
Windows used to have a free program called Windows Movie Maker. I used to make lyric videos with them.

Also, I did an internship at a TV studio where I had to work with Adobe Premiere to edit videos.

Queen_B

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,418 51 21
Alleybux

Justin Odisho
Olufemii tutorials
Tutvid
The Buff Nerds
Ignace Aleya

Thanks for the suggestions for those channels. They're awesome! I just subbed

I know this thread is old, but how do you guys suggest practicing? Making fan music videos, travel blogs? Like what material can I use to flex and edit my video editing skills. I'm a novice and very eager to learn

Mzjanet331

I poisoned your tea
Reaction score
Reactions
26,195 1,581 2,831
Alleybux

I know this thread is old, but how do you guys suggest practicing? Making fan music videos, travel blogs? Like what material can I use to flex and edit my video editing skills. I'm a novice and very eager to learn

Making any of the above! The funner the better. You learn much easier when you enjoy what it is that you're doing. Materials? Nothing but watching Youtube tutorials. Once you get the hang of the programs interface, shortcuts, and how to use most of the features, you can then get in there and start manipulating, and remixing certain program add-ons to your liking.

Queen_B

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,418 51 21
Alleybux
Making any of the above! The funner the better. You learn much easier when you enjoy what it is that you're doing. Materials? Nothing but watching Youtube tutorials. Once you get the hang of the programs interface, shortcuts, and how to use most of the features, you can then get in there and start manipulating, and remixing certain program add-ons to your liking.

thank you! you're right, if it's something fun, that's better

how can i get access to adobe software to learn? it's expensive and I'm not registered in school

or would you say go for it and invest??

Queen_B

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,418 51 21
Alleybux
Bump- does anyone else have advice or input? Do I beginners

Thanks <3

TokyoDes

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,393 392 466
Alleybux
Classic trial and error. I started using iMovie and then moved on to Final Cut Pro with plug-ins once I started dealing with 4K/5K content.. but there are plenty of awesome tutorials on YT and also the Apple Store has classes on this stuff

enchanted

Fall is Beautiful
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
345,871 13,203 10,054
Alleybux
Does it matter what type of PC you're using?

What's the minimum specs you would recommend for PP, if you're using it?

caeli

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 203 75
Alleybux

Outdoor concerts, festivals and carnivals is a good place to start.

Onaga

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,797 60 1
Alleybux
thank you! you're right, if it's something fun, that's better

how can i get access to adobe software to learn? it's expensive and I'm not registered in school

or would you say go for it and invest??

I'm still a newbie myself, but I use DaVinci Resolve in the place of Adobe Premiere Pro. It's served me well. It's free but there's also a paid version that you pay for ONCE and it's yours. No monthly payments. In my opinion, it's just as good as Premiere Pro. I've used Premiere Pro for awhile since I had a discount as a student, but got tired of paying for a program that had free/cheaper alternatives that were just as good.

YouTube has GREAT tutorials. I noticed that I was particularly fond of film editing, so I found a channel that was primarily focused on that. There are great tutorials for general editing and software-specific editing as well.

There are sites you can go to and use stock footage. It's easy to tell which ones you have to pay for and what footage you don't have to pay for and just credit the person that uploaded it. Or some you don't even have to credit them at all. I can't remember the site I used to gather footage for my little "Dogs are better than cats" mockmentary I'm making (my bookmarks are on my macbook that I do my editing on), but if I can remember, I'll be sure to post.

Good luck with everything! Show us a lil' something that you've cooked up once you finish editing :smilebig

News Alley

General Alley

Top Bottom