Quantcast

How do I pick a cat?

BreeLynn

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
8,405 162 41
Alleybux
I'm ready to adopt a cat and I have everything in my home ready. I'm 28, I live alone in a one bedroom apartment, no kids, no other pets. I went to the SPCA and spent time with a lot of the cats there but I couldn't choose. There was one I was going to go back to see again but he got adopted. There was also a black cat they introduced me to but she was depressed b/c another cat she bonded with got adopted and she'd been there a few months. I am going to the shelter again tomorrow but I need some advice on how to pick a cat or what to look for.

The only thing I know is I want an adult, not a kitten.

BillieJeanDab

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
208,041 3,744 1,596
Alleybux
Just walk around again, and take your time looking at each cat. I just adopted one and it was the best match. Don't rush anything while doing this. When you meet the right one, you will know.

my_marlon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,274 182 27
Alleybux
Orange cats are crazy.

Other than that, I would pick one that you vibe with. Some are scared or aggressive, some are chill and cuddly, some are playful, etc. Pick one that suits your personality.

Coop11729719

Rachel Coop
Reaction score
Reactions
17,411 396 128
Alleybux
Just walk around again, and take your time looking at each cat. I just adopted one and it was the best match. Don't rush anything while doing this. When you meet the right one, you will know.
Exactly! When you find the cat for you, you will just know. The cat will let you know that it would like to adopt you as it’s human.

itsjustshade

Atlanta Anti-Ambassador. We full.
Reaction score
Reactions
17,329 568 411
Alleybux
That's a tough question. When I went to the shelter, there were a ton of cats doing the most for attention - meowing, reaching through the cage at me, doing tricks, etc. The one cat that caught my attention paid everyone no mind at all. He had his back turned and was busy sweeping up food around his bowl and tidying his cage. I chose him. When the attendant got him out of the cage he became very talkative. Once I got him home, he was the most affectionate, friendly, human-like, loving cat ever. He had recently been neutered and I had to isolate him in the bathroom for the first night so he wouldn't injure himself. At 3AM he was legit singing a song to keep himself entertained. The next day he immediately jumped in my lap. He went on to be well behaved, able to clean up after himself (always tidying around his food bowl), and always stayed close and kept a paw touching me at all times. I'm guessing his previous owner was an elderly lady who spoiled him.

All that to say...sometimes the less attention-seeking cats may be the best pets. Make sure you go to one of the private bonding rooms to spend time with whichever cat you're interested in.

StylishChocolat

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
65,923 2,399 243
Alleybux
I agree that you need to get a cat that has a similar personality to you. I don’t know about your local shelter but my shelter had charts in the cat’s kennel that described their personality and how they interact with humans. I adopted my cat three years ago and he has a chill, laidback personality just like me so we get along well.

FridaKahlo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,927 401 91
Alleybux
Talk to one of the workers at the shelter. They can help you. Shelters tend to have people on staff who can match pets with people/families.

Orange cats are not crazy. They can be very affectionate and sociable. They are also very smart.

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,852 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
So nice you’re looking for an adult kitty. Too many languish in shelters cause folks want a kitten.

Personally I’d take the black one who has been there awhile. In a loving home, kitty will come out of her depression. Black cats are the ones often overlooked for adoptions. (I’ve got 3 sisters born in my backyard and if I outlive them, all I’m adopting is older black kitties.).

Orange tabbies are excellent cats. Very friendly and good natured.

beautyash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,530 241 111
Alleybux
I agree with others about the personality. I love my calico but I've learned over time that she can be a bit mouthy and demanding for food and attention. I've had to learn patience and practice good consistent training.

Coop11729719

Rachel Coop
Reaction score
Reactions
17,411 396 128
Alleybux
That's a tough question. When I went to the shelter, there were a ton of cats doing the most for attention - meowing, reaching through the cage at me, doing tricks, etc. The one cat that caught my attention paid everyone no mind at all. He had his back turned and was busy sweeping up food around his bowl and tidying his cage. I chose him. When the attendant got him out of the cage he became very talkative. Once I got him home, he was the most affectionate, friendly, human-like, loving cat ever. He had recently been neutered and I had to isolate him in the bathroom for the first night so he wouldn't injure himself. At 3AM he was legit singing a song to keep himself entertained. The next day he immediately jumped in my lap. He went on to be well behaved, able to clean up after himself (always tidying around his food bowl), and always stayed close and kept a paw touching me at all times. I'm guessing his previous owner was an elderly lady who spoiled him.

All that to say...sometimes the less attention-seeking cats may be the best pets. Make sure you go to one of the private bonding rooms to spend time with whichever cat you're interested in.

Aw, this is really sweet. I love animals. Thanks for sharing.

COMPLEXXX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
903,490 13,467 1,349
Alleybux
I chose my cat because she was hiding off to the side looking over it after some kids had wore her the hell out. The volunteer told me that their mom said she was thinking about coming back to the shelter to get her :beatup. When I reached down to pick her up, she let me and I decided she was going home with me.

7thSense

Loot Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
121,545 1,962 303
Alleybux
The story shared above was so sweet.

All cats are unique, some have more demanding personalities than others. It also depends on the breed. Siamese, calico cats have bad reps. Tabby cats have the best reputation. Although the one I have now is the loudest and most narcissistic tabby to ever walk the earth. So consider breeds as well.

And just make sure that will this particular shelter, if it doesn't work out, you can always return the cat or even trade it for another.

femi94ce

Alley Onager
Reaction score
Reactions
64,028 1,637 717
Alleybux
So nice you’re looking for an adult kitty. Too many languish in shelters cause folks want a kitten.

Personally I’d take the black one who has been there awhile. In a loving home, kitty will come out of her depression. Black cats are the ones often overlooked for adoptions. (I’ve got 3 sisters born in my backyard and if I outlive them, all I’m adopting is older black kitties.).

This right here about the black one. Black cats have the highest rates of euthanization because people have stupid superstitions.

I personally would regard the black one as a true rescue - from himself and from his depression and from the almost certanty of death. They can't keep him forever.

LAFF

True Artist

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
176,898 6,957 6,465
Alleybux
Start volunteering with them. When you get to know them, well, your choice will be clear.

Other than that, males are sweetest.

I'm ready to adopt a cat and I have everything in my home ready. I'm 28, I live alone in a one bedroom apartment, no kids, no other pets. I went to the SPCA and spent time with a lot of the cats there but I couldn't choose. There was one I was going to go back to see again but he got adopted. There was also a black cat they introduced me to but she was depressed b/c another cat she bonded with got adopted and she'd been there a few months. I am going to the shelter again tomorrow but I need some advice on how to pick a cat or what to look for.

The only thing I know is I want an adult, not a kitten.

Esdeath

氷の女王
Reaction score
Reactions
169,059 2,646 762
Alleybux
You don’t, they pick you.

This is very true! The shelter where we got our cat from had a big open room where the cats played and my cat showed her whole ass. All the other cats were sleeping and chilling and she was doing flips and flying off the walls trying to keep my attention.

InQueenstown

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I would suggest making a list of things you definitely do and don't want in a cat (likes to be held or not, meows a lot or quiet, wants lots of attention or happy being left alone, jumps on all the furniture, active or just chill, etc.)

Then if you can, find a local rescue where the cats stay with a foster family. They will be able to tell you how a cat is in a real home environment on a day to day basis instead of in a little shelter cage.

SoAmbitious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,392 2,386 1,732
Alleybux
I would also take the black cat. Many adult cats in shelters have sad stories so they might have issues but with love and proper care they can repay you tenfold. Ask about their stories, where did they come from, usually people at the shelter know their personality and you can get one that fits you.

I had cats all my life and honestly I never had issues with any of them. Cats usually have bad attitudes when they are hurt or frightened. If you are calm and loving and provide them with what they require their behavior improves but you might want certain traits like cuddling, for example, not all cats love to cuddle or being handled, I had a cat who would only let to touch himself on his terms and thats fine but I like when I can grab and fluff them and they won't scratch my eyes out lol.

These things you can ask but truly it is hard to tell, cats hate change of routine and they might be scared and anxious at the shelter and act absolutely different in loving home.

zaramel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
104,585 5,531 1,138
Alleybux
Orange cats are crazy.

Other than that, I would pick one that you vibe with. Some are scared or aggressive, some are chill and cuddly, some are playful, etc. Pick one that suits your personality.

They are. I have one. I love his bad ass but he's crazy. He likes to attack ankles and bite. SMH.

RickiSpanish

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,746 650 254
Alleybux

Yeah get a black cat if you're not superstitious, I have one and he's the sweetest.

You don’t, they pick you.

This is true, the cat will pick you. Just see how they respond to you.

Go outside and have your pick. Cats seems to always be all over the damn place without an owner.

Lol this is actually how I got the cat I have now. I was coming home from work and I hear a little meow. I look around then I hear it a few more times and it's the tiniest little black cat all covered in cockelburs. I took him to the vet and they had to shave him to get them out. I took him home and we've been a team ever since. He's 10 now.

WritingMerchant

Hockey Heaux, Bleeding Teal
Reaction score
Reactions
38,885 1,512 139
Alleybux
First of all, major kudos to you for wanting an adult kitty! :)

So many adult/senior cats are left behind because people tend to go for kittens. Kittens are cute, but I always went for older cats far as adopting one was concerned. As @Tony Stark JR said, cats pick their owners. Take your time in finding the right kitty; you'll know when the one suddenly stands out!

Also, #RESPECT to you for choosing shelters for a potential feline friend. I'm always for adopting from shelters or rescuing strays rather than pet stores.

msfroyste

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,361 451 225
Alleybux
the right kitty will pick you. all of our cats have found us, not the other way around. let the cat come up to you but walk slowly looking at them and making eye contact with one that interests you. you can always try adopting from the local animal shelter(s)/humane society or a vet's office. i know our vet typically has cats/kittens that were dropped off every now and then. you can also get one from petsmart or petco. either way, just budget for food, shampoo, a good hairdryer, and all their medical needs. if you're getting a kitten, you'll need to spay/neuter it and having pet insurance helps offset the costs of anything medical the baby will need to have done too.

The Culture

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom