Quantcast

How Do You Handle AAVE or Black Slang in Writing?

AndroidChick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,873 628 37
Alleybux
Hey guys! I'm working on a story, and my MC and many of the cast are black teens. They use AAVE and/or black slang sometimes though not frequently. When it comes to beta readers and getting editing done, usually the people seem to be white or other non-blk people (a lot of times people are anonymous online, so who really knows).

How do you handle AAVE or other black cultural sayings and slang?

Do you try to edit the phrases ahead of time, or just leave them as-is? Or are you fortunate enough to have black beta readers and/or editors?

Ex:
"Yeah, Tiff, we saw her yesterday at the mall. Girl was on mute after popping her gums all day," Jada says, trying to balance her brother in her arms and hold the laundry basket close to her hip.

"Deidra ..." I begin, trying to bite back the words, the inevitable words that will start another disagreement between us. I can't deal with this today.

Deidra, still ranting, drops her brother roughly on the bed. "I guess the girl thought we were going to jump her or something. Tiff, y'know. Ain't nobody was thinking about that girl. She started it."

This makes me wonder how authors who write Urban Fiction handle this. But now with AAVE being so popular with Gen Z maybe it's not such a big deal.

`Bella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,764 158 12
Alleybux
Use black editors and beta readers who will understand the slang and your vision.

LaVieBoheme

Block and ignore the racists. Don’t feed them.
Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,574 2,206
Alleybux
Hey guys! I'm working on a story, and my MC and many of the cast are black teens. They use AAVE and/or black slang sometimes though not frequently. When it comes to beta readers and getting editing done, usually the people seem to be white or other non-blk people (a lot of times people are anonymous online, so who really knows).

Do you try to edit the phrases ahead of time, or just leave them as-is? Or are you fortunate enough to have black beta readers and/or editors?

Ex:
"Yeah, Tiff, we saw her yesterday at the mall. Girl was on mute after popping her gums all day," Jada says, trying to balance her brother in her arms and hold the laundry basket close to her hip.

"Deidra ..." I begin, trying to bite back the words, the inevitable words that will start another disagreement between us. I can't deal with this today.

Deidra, still ranting, drops her brother roughly on the bed. "I guess the girl thought we were going to jump her or something. Tiff, y'know. Ain't nobody thinking about that girl. She started it."

This makes me wonder how authors who write Urban Fiction handle this. But now with AAVE being so popular with Gen Z maybe it's not such a big deal.

I'll be a beta reader, but I'm in my 30s so I may not understand Gen Z speak.

I know how we spoke when I was growing up in the 90s/2000s.

tiffinla

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
577 39
Alleybux
HA ha… Im a trader and saw AAVE and thought the stock was moving. Let me take my old azz to another room. carry on!!

wanderwoman

alleybuxstrugglelife
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
319,173 7,864 3,406
Alleybux
You may not have to use it in every piece of dialogue. When I do accents, sometimes I'll just introduce it, explain it and then write normally because I've already established it with the reader and they'll read it that way automatically.

Good luck.

Twocents

Tryin 2 have fun
Reaction score
Reactions
233 2 1
Alleybux
Honestly, I just write it the way it sounds when me or anyone else who talks that way sounds. Like one of the members up top said: lots and lots of apostrophes. :worship

eggcellence

The Embodiment of Black Eggcellence
Reaction score
Reactions
3,174 283 113
Alleybux

Ex:

Deidra, still ranting, drops her brother roughly on the bed. "I guess the girl thought we were going to jump her or something. Tiff, y'know. Ain't nobody was thinking about that girl. She started it."

Girl what yo book called? I wanna support a sista!

skybantralist

Dookie Braid God
Reaction score
Reactions
110,731 9,307 8,625
Alleybux
It stay dark upon these lands. For a thousand, thousand years no man, no beast, no rock nor tree has seen da light'a da sun. Da trees done long petrified, the earf been turnt barren, da air stay laced with a chill that's colda than a mug. Aks yourself, what coulda caused such a thing to take place, aks yourself this, because this is da same question that all those who done survived these horrid circumstances done aksed theyself.

Deep below da surface is The Hollows, a collection of enormous manmade tunnels networking in da bowels of the earf. This is where human civilization has survived, even flourished, as best any civilization coulda under such circumstances. But what will come next is fitna do what da sun's mysterious absence ain't done, bring the era of man to a close.

Excerpt from "The Hollows," a rip roaring science fantasy epic that takes our hero, Solquarius, from the slums of the subterranean lands of Ebonica to the stars.

Last edited: