Quantcast

How do you like living in New York City as a Black person?

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
I love it here for the reasons fonts above mentioned but I fµck!ng hate the dating scene!! It’s trash prob one of the worse. A lot of ppl still live with their parents due to the cost of living here. It’s common to not drive/own a car. I’m sure you know how expensive Ny is. I get tired of Native NYers and their extra ness & I’m from here lol. The men are super aggressive it’s in these n!ggas blood. It’s disgusting. House/apartment/trap/scamairbnb rental parties are common which is just a bunch of dudes standing around in the kitchen sharing a bottle and b!tches with colorful wigs twerking. The black ALT scene ppl are more concerned with clout and “being different” then being a true alternative person if that makes sense. The alt parties be super lit in the summer though! Rooftops, music, free drugs and liqs. You can get into anything in NYC it’s so spontaneous and wild. Weather sucks expect in summer. The coolest black ppl you’ll ever meet live here.
That’s cool. Maybe one day I’ll visit. I like meeting other people from different places, especially, other Black people.

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
It's great here, people will compliment you on your clothing and if you got it going on aesthetically, make you feel attractive.I live in Manhattan but honestly haven't been out and about in it in a while now, and just how long would probably make you balk but I've got personal mental health stuff going on and otherwise, I think anyone would really enjoy visiting NYC, especially if they could focus on all the positive things already highlighted by the fonts in this thread.
Ohh that’s great!! I live in Houston and mental health issues as well. I be feeling so lonely and out of place, even though I live with family. It’s like hard to fit in, and my family just amplifies those feelings because it’s not hard for them at all.

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,080 3,085 528
Alleybux
I love NYC. Love love. Its my city. I had a talk with my 1 friend who said she plans on staying here until retirement. And thatadr me happy cause so many friends are leaving.

I have lived other places when I was younger and I realized I am a city girl. I am. The city is home. Its energy.

I do hate what gentrification has done to my city. That is the downside.

But yeah I am making moves to buy a house and all that.

For me with my career I won't get paid more if I go to another state. Unless its a job with the feds.

Kateye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,898 514 235
Alleybux
Very comfortable. I can’t imagine that there is anywhere else in this country to live that is better for a black person. Jobs are plentiful at all professional levels. White people (excluding the police) “generally“ stay in their lane, police interaction is minimal unless you live in the ghetto, every possible convenience money can buy, food, culture, upward social and economic mobility, interesting people doing interesting things, waking up to the sweet smell of success each day...yeah there’s really nowhere that compares.
You have got to be kidding! Unless you’re rich.

Wonder Girl

Make That pH Game Weak Again!
Reaction score
Reactions
44,487 3,056 1,182
Alleybux
Ohh that’s great!! I live in Houston and mental health issues as well. I be feeling so lonely and out of place, even though I live with family. It’s like hard to fit in, and my family just amplifies those feelings because it’s not hard for them at all.
I only live with my mother and I guess objectively speaking the situation is that she is messing with my mental health because I end up getting really irritated and having blow ups because of the environment she makes in the apartment, I say objectively because I'll sit and try to stay calm but then I just break and it seems inevitable.I'll only detail further if you give me a direct message and I relate to the loneliness issue completely.

Zilla

Anti-Incel -R.I.P Cheverly
Reaction score
Reactions
105,002 3,338 835
Alleybux
This thread is making me miss home. I will always love certain things about NYC. I say all is accurate on here. I do know the dating scene is horrible for Black women. If you want to just have situationships and fwb your options are plentiful.

I do love not living in NYC anymore though. But this thread is bringing me back

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
I only live with my mother and I guess objectively speaking the situation is that she is messing with my mental health because I end up getting really irritated and having blow ups because of the environment she makes in the apartment, I say objectively because I'll sit and try to stay calm but then I just break and it seems inevitable.I'll only detail further if you give me a direct message and I relate to the loneliness issue completely.
I’ll dm you because this sounds very similar to my relationship with my mom.

Falafal

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,566 1,008 416
Alleybux
I think it’s the fact that the water bottle is a $1 room temp and a $2 cold. Like they’re trying to get all they could out of you. Idk I’d probably just bring a water bottle from home if it was me.
If you’re in Manhattan you can get $1 cold water from a halal cart through. Maybe I’m misremembering the price, haven’t been back since the pandemic.

XclusveKat

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
5,758 126 8
Alleybux
I love it! I’ve been here going on 7 years and it’s so much better than were I come from (Charlotte). The diversity and the experiences alone. To other fonts point, dating was tough to find anything serious. But I was lucky enough to find someone who matches me energy. It took me 5 years to make a wage that makes me “comfortable” here. The cost of living is probably the worst part.

DiorGlow

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
127,714 576 208
Alleybux
I love it. I left my home and everything in California...and I can say it’s been absolutely worth it. In terms of career growth, personal growth, etc there isn’t anywhere like it to test yourself. Hard work pays off here (IMO). You can PM me if you want to talk a bit more in depth about logistics etc.

Wonder Girl

Make That pH Game Weak Again!
Reaction score
Reactions
44,487 3,056 1,182
Alleybux
I love it. I left my home and everything in California...and I can say it’s been absolutely worth it. In terms of career growth, personal growth, etc there isn’t anywhere like it to test yourself. Hard work pays off here (IMO). You can PM me if you want to talk a bit more in depth about logistics etc.
I know you weren't talking to me but can I PM you?I live in Manhattan now but know I'm not making the most of my opportunities by being here, I'd love to get your advice on what I can do to take full advantage of everything.

DiorGlow

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
127,714 576 208
Alleybux
I know you weren't talking to me but can I PM you?I live in Manhattan now but know I'm not making the most of my opportunities by being here, I'd love to get your advice on what I can do to take full advantage of everything.
Absolutely

AnnApple

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,062 37 32
Alleybux
To the poster complaining about water being a dollar...do you only buy water at Costco or something? That is a regular shmegular price, lol.

I love living in NYC absolutely everything is within my grasp: I can experience so much with the most minor effort and at times for very little expense as well. There is always a way to access reduced pricing or free options for really world class experiences. There are so many great educational opportunities at low cost as well (CUNY system).

I don’t have problems dating and the nightlife is great; it’s not always about clubs here like it seems to be in places like Miami or LA and if you expect a great night out to only take place at clubs you limit yourself. In NYC entertainment and mixing happens just as frequently and is just as good at peoples apartments, at galleries, restaurants, parks, museums. With so little space our turn up culture is varied and inventive.

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,405 3,935 963
Alleybux
Living in NYC as a black person is regular. My day in the life living here would be staying home, doing online classes, going to the park, go to the corner store, visit my grandparents. My Citizen app goes off every hour of the day, cos there’s always some sh!t happening.

My parents plan on moving out of NYC soon. Ever since COVID, it has been pretty mundane around here.

New York is alright, but ever since gentrification it has become stale. I am dying to have a vacation outside of New York.

Mrs. Graham

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
193,368 15,015 8,775
Alleybux
Rent and cost of living is high and racists landlord refuse to rent to black tenants

Schools in nicer areas are racists

Black people in New York have less degrees, own less property, and have lower networths than those in the south. There are no good black schools to send your kids to, you either send them to school with racists whites who traumatize them or to low income black schools where the education is t

There are no predominately black middle class neighborhoods

The marriage rate for women and especially black women is much lower than in other parts of the country like the midwest

You might be stopped and frisked or have the cops called on you for entering your own apartment building

Your black ass is not getting into the exclusive clubs and societies

sankofaa__

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,141 2,991 2,018
Alleybux
Moving back to NYC in June and I can't wait! Yeah it's not what it was before the pandemic but it's still an amazingly vibrant city with so many options for food, fun, and entertainment. I lived there a few years ago and had all types of fun. My bff also lives there now and I can't wait to link up and be on some hot girl sh!t this summer tbh. No other city compares.

I do hate the NYC subway though. I went to college in DC and took the metro which is much cleaner and more visually appealing than the NYC subway.

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
I've been here for some time now, a few years.

It's a no go for me, dawg.

Compared to the housing and life quality of Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston? New York ain't sh!t. I walk all throughout Harlem and Bed Stuy and there's poop and trash ALL over the streets. This is how ya'll treat black people, New York? And I notice that it's never this bad in whiter areas such as Williamsburg, but go to Canarsie? You'll be walking through a landfill.

And just the air quality and the housing on top of housing. In Atlanta and Houston you can rent a 2 bedroom house for 700-800 a month. A studio in the projects here in NYC goes for 1000+. I least I can breathe in the South. If it weren't for my job and the experience of Manhattan I would've left a long ass time ago.

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
And least I mention the men. Black men ain't sh!t here in New York. I need some Southern hospitality to my men. I don't even like the way they dress up here in New York.

pickle

All Star
Reaction score
Reactions
110,712 5,948 1,408
Alleybux
forgot to add the hispanics of all races tend to be more racist than whites. nothing more unpleasant than dealing with a latinx receptionist.

I can't speak for pandemic dating, but prior to covid-19 as a Black person, getting a date in nyc was easy; however, finding a traditional, monogamous relationship may take some luck. if you were in the mood to casually date, it is was very easy to find someone to take you on dates with.

i'm a former dinner hoe and most of my fine dining experiences were the results of 1st and 2nd dates @ restaurants I wouldn't have tried on my own b/c i'm way too cheap to spend money for a crumb of food on a fancy plate.

justkillintime

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,867 424 126
Alleybux
I just bought a bottle of COLD Poland Spring for a $1.:ROFLMAO: I can't believe the price of water was debated. I'm coming from the gym and a dusty-in-training just hit me with the "ayo ma, what it do". Sir, it's 2:30 in the afternoon and you are wilin' :ROFLMAO:. The dating scene here is on life support because actual native NYC dudes are a headache.

0z0z0z

r e l e a s e
Reaction score
Reactions
1,950 88 125
Alleybux
nowhere on earth is the black diaspora more fully captured

nyc got more flavors than anywhere else

this is the only place i could imagine my foundational years

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,542 16,179 6,462
Alleybux
Were people aggressive or were they trying to get in and out of trader joes because the line is always long af and you were taking your time as if you have never seen one in your life? Just saying ... we come ready to go. Trader Joes can easily take up 1 hour of your time if you go on the wrong day and half of that is just standing in line.

monaeskye

Wanderingloveee212
Reaction score
Reactions
1,974 39 12
Alleybux
It must be nice because they move down south and complain how it's nothing like NY and how they miss NY so much lmao.

Bougie Remix

Bougie Spin on Everything
Reaction score
Reactions
16,273 618 81
Alleybux
I love it here for the reasons fonts above mentioned but I fµck!ng hate the dating scene!! It’s trash prob one of the worse. A lot of ppl still live with their parents due to the cost of living here. It’s common to not drive/own a car. I’m sure you know how expensive Ny is. I get tired of Native NYers and their extra ness & I’m from here lol. The men are super aggressive it’s in these n!ggas blood. It’s disgusting. House/apartment/trap/scamairbnb rental parties are common which is just a bunch of dudes standing around in the kitchen sharing a bottle and b!tches with colorful wigs twerking. The black ALT scene ppl are more concerned with clout and “being different” then being a true alternative person if that makes sense. The alt parties be super lit in the summer though! Rooftops, music, free drugs and liqs. You can get into anything in NYC it’s so spontaneous and wild. Weather sucks expect in summer. The coolest black ppl you’ll ever meet live here.
1618446314057.png

lynnnyc

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,839 440 10
Alleybux
Never lived but visited a lot. Honestly as a bw I feel really safe there ironically because I feel like there are so many different types of people in NY that there is a low chance that I would be singled out, targeted (besides the catcalling problem that comes with living in all major cities), and lonely. I feel like I could be myself there and look different without people staring.
No one stares, at anything! Trust me. Born and raised in NYC. One day a guy was walking down the street with a Lady of Liberty hat, carrying a fake torch and wearing a toga type diaper and no one paid it any mind, other than a quick glance folks kept moving, lol. What I always loved about being raised here, diversity. I grew up interacting with kids of all nationalities. One of my adult friends grew up in a small town in the midwest where there were only a few black families; she lives here now and loves it.

Rent is high as hell here, but I finally bought another place and moved to the burbs of NY, just 45 mins away from midtown. There were times I thought of moving south to the Carolinas or even Maryland, just to get more space, more house for the money, but I think I'll stay put. I love going to see Broadway shows, the meet ups with friends at restaurants, I love the Met, Moma, Museum of Natural History. There is no reason to be bored here. This is a 24/7 place. (well, when we reopen again post-covid)

However, as another font stated, dating sucks, lol, big time.

AstoldbyWind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,747 5,011 1,177
Alleybux
I mean it’s no different than any other place I’ve been. I’m not sure what you’re looking for. The downside is my roommates, I hate them and ready for this lease to be up so I can move in with black folks.

dating sucks, I come across very attractive and nice men but they are either afriad of commitment or crazy.

Last edited:

EchoLake

shimmering
Reaction score
Reactions
174,934 4,294 2,758
Alleybux
Agree with all this lol.

AshleyDavenport

Scheming Social Climber
Reaction score
Reactions
19,645 1,604 50
Alleybux
I love it! I’ve been here going on 7 years and it’s so much better than were I come from (Charlotte). The diversity and the experiences alone. To other fonts point, dating was tough to find anything serious. But I was lucky enough to find someone who matches me energy. It took me 5 years to make a wage that makes me “comfortable” here. The cost of living is probably the worst part.
Funny I’m trying to do the reverse lol...I feel like post-2017 CLT has come a long way but let me not derail this thread

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,790 6,061 2,384
Alleybux
Not only does my hometown have a diverse (Black) population, I love the fact that I don't have to (know how to) drive to go to the corner store or handle the most basic of errands.

Prior to the pandemic, it was always a pleasure to know that everything wasn't shut down at 11:00 with hanging out at the Walmart parking lot being the only after-11:00 activity available to do. We native New Yorkers know that's only a matter of time before this resumes.

QueenDevonna

LSA's most unproblematic font
Reaction score
Reactions
4,031 77 46
Alleybux
I've been there before with family. I like it there, it's so vibrant and the people seemed so interesting unlike where I live, boring ass Western NY.

The thing I don't like is how crowded it was, there were barely any parking spaces, and a lot of the drivers were rude as hell and willing to run you over. I'll be visting again but on my own in the future for sure.

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
I've been there before with family. I like it there, it's so vibrant and the people seemed so interesting unlike where I live, boring ass Western NY.

The thing I don't like is how crowded it was, there were barely any parking spaces, and a lot of the drivers were rude as hell and willing to run you over. I'll be visting again but on my own in the future for sure.
I would like to visit as well.

KEIKOLDN

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,806 3,154 698
Alleybux
I just came back from my trip to NYC. I LOVED it so much.

Im considering moving to Nyc, is it unrealistic considering the COL? I’m from the Midwest so it’s definitely a big difference in every possible way except weather wise.

MBEE07

it’s all love.
Reaction score
Reactions
43,524 923 281
Alleybux
I’m in New York nearly every other weekend and I love it there! I graduate from nursing school sometime next year and I definitely will be relocating there! I can’t wait! New Yorkers are my favorite type of people, so much culture there!

Kateye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,898 514 235
Alleybux
I’m in New York nearly every other weekend and I love it there! I graduate from nursing school sometime next year and I definitely will be relocating there! I can’t wait! New Yorkers are my favorite type of people, so much culture there!
I can't wait to hear about what happens when you're looking for a place to live, the location as well as the rent. We'll have something to talk about.