Quantcast

How Do You Make Banana Pudding? Hot or Cold Dish?

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,409 2,302 906
Alleybux
So... no. You do realize, and I’m assuming that you can cook, that baking a banana in liquid is essentially boiling it and that boiled foods almost always lose flavor.

So... you can go eat your warm, goopy baked banana pudding over there. I’ll be cooking the custard on the stove and refrigerating for the rest of my days. You can take the instant pudding girls with you.

So there are a few methods if you want to sweeten bananas. One of them is ripening them in the oven. After they come out they are crazy sweet. Much sweeter than off the shelf. You can layer those in your banana pudding before you bake.

Also you're not boiling. When you bake you're actually taking out moisture. Which concentrates the flavors and makes them more pronounced.

And it shouldn't be goopy. It should be warm and soft and then it stiffens after it's cooled off. Coi's is way to liquidy. But once it's cooled off or even chilled it's perfect.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,942 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
So there are a few methods if you want to sweeten bananas. One of them is ripening them in the oven. After they come out they are crazy sweet. Much sweeter than off the shelf. You can layer those in your banana pudding before you bake.

Also you're not boiling. When you bake you're actually taking out moisture. Which concentrates the flavors and makes them more pronounced.

And it shouldn't be goopy. It should be warm and soft and then it stiffens after it's cooled off. Coi's is way to liquidy. But once it's cooled off or even chilled it's perfect.
1. I’m not cooking bananas no am I baking a banana pudding any time soon so I’m not really concerned about the various methods of going out of my way to make a banana “sweeter

2. No. If you raise a liquid to its boiling point then it will boil. If you “cook” a solid inside of a boiling liquid (whether it be in the oven, microwave, over a fire, what have you) then you are boiling it.

3. “Warm and soft”... You make this sound like a cake. It’s custard, it’s not going to be hard. It will always maintain a degree of viscosity.

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,409 2,302 906
Alleybux
1. I’m not cooking bananas not am I baking a banana pudding any time soon so I’m not really concerned about the various methods of going out of my way to make a banana “sweeter

2. No. If you raise a liquid to its boiling point then it will boil. If you “cook” a solid inside of a boiling liquid (whether it be in the oven, microwave, over a fire, what have you) then you are boiling it.

I'm just telling you baked is sweeter than cold banana pudding since your concerned about sweetness. If the "baked" banana pudding you tried wasn't sweet it was cooked incorrectly. It also shouldn't be goopy. But no need in going back and forth cause we're not going to agree lol.

Y'all cold banana pudding people can go put sugar in ur grits and leave me alone.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,942 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
I'm just telling you baked is sweeter than cold banana pudding since your concerned about sweetness. If the "baked" banana pudding you tried wasn't sweet it was cooked incorrectly. It also shouldn't be goopy. But no need in going back and forth cause we're not going to agree lol.

Y'all cold banana pudding people can go put sugar in ur grits and leave me alone.
So why even bother going back and forth with me to begin with?

I didn’t say that the pudding wasn’t sweet or that I was concerned with the overall sweetness of the dish. I said that the cooked bananas lost their sweetness in the overall dish. This isn’t a difficult exchange to follow.

Since you know so much about how a banana pudding should taste why don’t you break it down to us “cold banana pudding people” and show us the proper way to bake a banana pudding and serve it warm.

Oh, and honestly sugar grits is something I would have expected from you at this rate and let me remind you. We were doing fine until you came in here bothering us.

ICUWatchinMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,155 2,768 1,137
Alleybux
Who bakes their banana pudding? I’ve never heard of this, y’all must not be black. I have heard of a banana pudding cake though. But the pudding was on top of the cake.
Baked is how they originally made it. The cold custard kind is the newer version.

ChampagneToast

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,586 1,005 210
Alleybux
Mom Always baked hers but I don't remember it being served hot....though it wasn't icebox cold. Probably warm or room temp the first night. No microwave then so I guess the day after it we ate it cold.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,942 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Baked is how they originally made it. The cold custard kind is the newer version.
When you say “baked” are you referring to browning the meringue or you mean actually baking the pudding? If it’s the former, that’s not baked.

I’m just asking because I keep seeing people saying “the old southern way” being mentioned by people on Twitter who eat it hot, but the recipes in my family were passed down from my great grandmothers (born late 1800s) at least and it’s always been cooked custard poured over and chilled.

If anything I just want people to make a clear distinction between putting something under the heat/broiler to brown vs literally cooking something through. The warm banana pudding that I was served was cooked completely through and I hated it.

Jetersqueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,265 133 121
Alleybux
I tried baked for the first time last year and had never known such a thing was done until my moms friend invited me to dinner. It was so delicious that I asked to carry some home and ate it in the truck on the way home. I now stan for baked even though that's the only time I had it. I'm bi when it comes to banana pudding.
I don't like sliced bananas in either choice
Can you get the recipe to share?

LittleMissCupcake

┌☆┐
Reaction score
Reactions
22,923 782 51
Alleybux
If you make pudding from scratch it has to be heated obviously and if you do a meringue topping it has to go in the oven. But I could never eat warm pudding. Lately I make the Magnolia Bakery version, it’s lighter and easy to make.
Where’s the recipe girl?

xFillyPhishx

The Black Woman Is Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
71,986 3,354 763
Alleybux
Anyone have a good banana pudding recipe (from scratch) with meringue? Please share :giggle:

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,942 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Anyone have a good banana pudding recipe (from scratch) with meringue? Please share :giggle:
Get you a can and a half of PET Milk. Or you can get a regular 12 oz can plus one of those small 4-5 oz cans. You need 3 eggs with the whites and yolks seperated. A box of Jacks or Nilla wafers. Some really good quality vanilla. Six or so ripe bananas. Some flour and some salt. Oh yeah and sugar.

I’ll give you the steps later this evening cause I’m low key busy at work right now and don’t have time to think it out. If another font knows how to make the standard scratch banana pudding she can feel free to chime in, but I’ll be back.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,942 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
@xFillyPhishx I ain’t forgot you honey, I just got a little side tracked.

Look, you want have you a baking or casserole dish ready and double boiler (or you can use two pots).

Slice your bananas and layer them in the dish with cookies. I do alternating but you can do however you like.

Heat the oven to 350

Get your water boiling in the bottom of your double boiler setup. In your top boiler you want to mix in the milk, about a half a cup of sugar (depends on your taste), about a third of a cup of flour and a pinch of salt (the salt is important). Now whisk in your eggs. You want to stir this constantly (you can’t stop stirring and leave the pot) until it thickens into a slightly thin custard. Now stir in your vanilla and any other extra flavor you wanted to add.

Pour the custard over there layered bananas and wafers, make sure everything is completely covered.

Make your meringue and spread it over the pudding, make sure you seal the edges of the pan with the meringue and that none of the pudding below is exposed. Put it in the oven until the meringue browns to your liking. Let it sit to cool and then refrigerate overnight.

If you don’t know how to make meringue let me know.

Last edited:

xFillyPhishx

The Black Woman Is Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
71,986 3,354 763
Alleybux
@xFillyPhishx I ain’t forgot you honey, I just got a little side tracked.

Look, you want have you a baking or casserole dish ready and double boiler (or you can use two pots).

Slice your bananas and layer them in the dish with cookies. I do alternating but you can do however you like.

Heat the oven to 350

Get your water boiling in the bottom of your double boiler setup. In your top boiler you want to mix in the milk, about a half a cup of sugar (depends on your taste), about a third of a cup of flour and a pinch of salt (the salt is important). Now whisk in your eggs. You want to stir this constantly (you can’t stop stirring and leave the pot) until it thickens into a slightly thin custard. Now stir in your vanilla and any other extra flavor you wanted to add.

Pour the custard over there layered bananas and wafers, make sure everything is completely covered.

Make your meringue and spread it over the pudding, make sure you seal the edges of the pan with the meringue and that none of the pudding below is exposed. Put it in the oven until the meringue browns to your liking. Let it sit to cool and then refrigerate overnight.

If you don’t know how to make meringue let me know.
Thank you!! I appreciate this very much :giggle: I've got this bookmarked and saved