Quantcast

How I Built A $75 Million Restaurant Empire - Chef Marcus Samuelsson

kkforya

I don’t play fair ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reactions
64,876 559 109
Alleybux

I've seen Chef Marcus on different shows and be featured in various videos, but I thought this feature from CNBC's Make It series was pretty cool and thread worthy.

Have any of you eaten at The Red Rooster?

Cliffs:
  • He’s been an immigrant 6 times, in many different countries
  • Worked at a 3-star restaurant in France, and was told by another Chef that “Chef you can never own a restaurant, there’s not a Black-Owned restaurant that has the ambition you have”
  • Opened Red Rooster in 2010 and it has become one of the most famous restaurants in NYC, specifically Harlem.
  • Talks about why Harlem and what makes the city so special and unique
  • Says the resultant industry is about working together and overcoming
  • Calls himself a “Swethiopian” - Born in Ethiopia, but adopted by a Swedish couple after he and his sister were separated from their family in the 1974 Ethiopian War.
  • Grew up very close with his family, learned most of his culinary basics from cooking with his Swedish grandmother
  • Talks about how being black, life is extremely harsh and choices you are set out to do are never easy.
  • Set out to America to fulfill his restaurant dream because he knew the Black Excellence existed there
  • Cites Maya Angelou, Oprah, and Prince as his American Black Excellence inspiration
  • Had a first job in America as a Chef and the success from it showed him that he could make it and own a restaurant and have value in America
  • Moved to Harlem and had to learn what it meant to be in Harlem as a community
  • He’s opened 23 restaurants and typically employs 2,000 people
  • He has also written several books about Black Culture and immigration’s influence on his food.
  • Talks about the Great Migration being one of the most incredible events in American History and how Black southerners brought their culture and cuisine to the north
  • His food is influenced by Southern Black American food as well as the pockets of different cultures from immigrants everywhere that live in Harlem
  • Starts to get choked up when talking about Covid-19’s affect on the restaurant industry and taking away the sense of security that people worked so hard to build
  • Through loans from the federal government, they were able to stay afloat, but acknowledges that black and brown communities had to work even harder to get those loans.
  • Is proud of his team for working hard and giving back to their community by serving their community members in need and first responders during the thick of the pandemic.
  • “Be passionate about your field, about the vertical you pick, because if you’re gonna be passionate and you’re open to learn, you will never be out of work.”

I really enjoyed the video!

I searched for a thread on this, so if one has already been made and I missed it, my apologies - please merge.

ebonyrose

Joining DULOVEMEDO for 6 month hiatus from LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
82,130 2,159 908
Alleybux
That's awesome! And the food looks so good.

OT
He looks like the dude from The Originals. lol
th

LadyEsq

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,426 1,354 37
Alleybux
I watched it and have appreciated his story for some years now... I first heard of Marcus on a basketball-oriented blog back in like 2002/2003... as such, I have been semi-following his journey since then... I have never been to Red Rooster but have wanted to go (since I follow Marcus)... however, I did go to Streetbird once and yeah... no...

Overall, I will always wish Marcus the best and love what he has done for his community during this pandemic...

RZSB5519

A Queen and a Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
3,526 67 48
Alleybux
Awwwww my celebrity chef crush. Love him on Chopped as well. He definitely spoke a lot of truth in the video.

Dutsesgem

DeUnsullied
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux

I've seen Chef Marcus on different shows and be featured in various videos, but I thought this feature from CNBC's Make It series was pretty cool and thread worthy.

Have any of you eaten at The Red Rooster?

Cliffs:
  • He’s been an immigrant 6 times, in many different countries
  • Worked at a 3-star restaurant in France, and was told by another Chef that “Chef you can never own a restaurant, there’s not a Black-Owned restaurant that has the ambition you have”
  • Opened Red Rooster in 2010 and it has become one of the most famous restaurants in NYC, specifically Harlem.
  • Talks about why Harlem and what makes the city so special and unique
  • Says the resultant industry is about working together and overcoming
  • Calls himself a “Swethiopian” - Born in Ethiopia, but adopted by a Swedish couple after he and his sister were separated from their family in the 1974 Ethiopian War.
  • Grew up very close with his family, learned most of his culinary basics from cooking with his Swedish grandmother
  • Talks about how being black, life is extremely harsh and choices you are set out to do are never easy.
  • Set out to America to fulfill his restaurant dream because he knew the Black Excellence existed there
  • Cites Maya Angelou, Oprah, and Prince as his American Black Excellence inspiration
  • Had a first job in America as a Chef and the success from it showed him that he could make it and own a restaurant and have value in America
  • Moved to Harlem and had to learn what it meant to be in Harlem as a community
  • He’s opened 23 restaurants and typically employs 2,000 people
  • He has also written several books about Black Culture and immigration’s influence on his food.
  • Talks about the Great Migration being one of the most incredible events in American History and how Black southerners brought their culture and cuisine to the north
  • His food is influenced by Southern Black American food as well as the pockets of different cultures from immigrants everywhere that live in Harlem
  • Starts to get choked up when talking about Covid-19’s affect on the restaurant industry and taking away the sense of security that people worked so hard to build
  • Through loans from the federal government, they were able to stay afloat, but acknowledges that black and brown communities had to work even harder to get those loans.
  • Is proud of his team for working hard and giving back to their community by serving their community members in need and first responders during the thick of the pandemic.
  • “Be passionate about your field, about the vertical you pick, because if you’re gonna be passionate and you’re open to learn, you will never be out of work.”

I really enjoyed the video!

I searched for a thread on this, so if one has already been made and I missed it, my apologies - please merge.

So much to learn here