Quantcast

How I Do My Keto Diet

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
So i decided to make a thread on how i'm doing my keto diet! You don't have to follow it but its to give people who feel like they don't know where to start a place to actually start. I'll keep it short and simple.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR. TAKE WHAT YOU READ AS A WAY TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW. IF YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT OR HAVE PROBLEMS WITH FOOD, YOU NEED TO CONTACT YOUR OWN DOCTOR. OP IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SIDE EFFECTS THIS ADVICE GIVES. TAKE ADVICE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Daily Goals:
My Macros are 20 grams of net carbs, 70 grams of protein and 137 grams of fat.
  • Lesson #1: ALWAYS meet your protein goals. Its ok to under a little bit (like 10 grams maybe), but always try to reach your protein goal (especially if your exercising).
  • Lesson #2: Both your carbs and your fat are MAXIMUM limits. this mean you don't HAVE to eat 20 grams of net carbs or 137 grams of fat. It just means that is where you should stop. I probably avg about 8 carbs per day and maybe 70 grams of fat.
  • Lesson #3: The MORE FAT YOU EAT the less body fat your body will use as energy.
  • Lesson #4: Calculate your carbs as NET CARBS not as just carbs. The carbs in this post i am talking about are net carbs. To calculate your net carbs you take the gross carb amount and take away the fiber and sugar alcohol numbers and you get your net carbs. So if you eat something that has 30g of carbs and 4 grams of fiber and 2g of sugar alcohols, your next carbs would be 24.
  • To calculate your Macros, i suggest using this website Keto Calculator
How much food i strive to eat. Strive being the operative word because i eat until i feel full.
  • Veggies: around 4-7 cups per day. That is using just a measuring cup. I however use a scale. So i always try to make sure whatever veggies im eat are at least at 150-170 grams. Depending on what veggies it is, it comes out to A LOT. I know it sounds intimidating BUT you wont regret it when you are looking good in your bikini over the summer. 170 grams of spinach is like 5 cups. That's a pretty nice salad size. Now you only need 2 more cups to reach 7 lol. You can literally get ALL your cups of veggies in ONE sitting.

• Protein: around 4-7 oz daily. Protein comes from MANY sources such as spinach, eggs, meats, drinks (whey protein). Again, use a scale to help determine how much your actually eating. On a good day, i normally eat around 3 eggs per day. I ALWAYS have a protein with my dinner. Hey this would be a great way to get your veggies in because you can easily make some boiled eggs and bacon and crumble it over your salad. Knock out some birds with one stone. Up your protein by about 20-50 grams if you are going to be working out!

• Fats: around 100 grams daily. Like i said before, i normally average around 70 grams but on a really good day of eating, i'll get up to like 100 grams. I am a weird eater i know. Sources of healthy fats i eat are coconut oil (i put it in my tea sometimes), olive oil (mainly as a dressing for my salads or just pouring over my veggies), butter (if you never fried eggs in butter your seriously missing out) and fatty cuts of meat. The meat part is important because that is where you can again knock out two birds with one stone and get both fat and protein in one. Some fatty cuts of meat and fish would be salmon, sardines (ew i don't eat), tuna, trout (never tried), steak, breakfast sausage, bacon, liver, heart (ew to both of those i dont eat but just a suggestion), ground beef. As you can see, i am a picky eater loool so to compensate for my lack of fatty meats, i tend to use a lot of oil and butter when cooking.

• Water Intake: I usually can drink up to half a gallon of water. Forget what you heard about drinking half your weight in oz or drinking a gallon a day. DRINK WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY. IF you are overweight, chances are your body is holding on to a TON of water weight. People who water fast are not losing weight because of water they are losing weight because of ketosis (body using fat as a source of energy). It is true that water flushes out the toxins in your body and helps make for a healthy kidney, but over doing it can cause problems as well. I drink up to half a gallon of water a day with no problems. If i do experience problems like random muscle spasms, cramps or just general moodiness, i add a little potassium or magnesium as a supplement to my diet.

• Electrolytes: Speaking of potassium, SODIUM IS VERY IMPORTANT! DRINKING WATER WILL HELP DEPLETE YOUR ELECTROLYTES. You need to keep up with your potassium, calcium and magnesium. Sodium can be limited if you have hypertension or doctors recommends you dont eat alot. Potassium and magnesium AID in the process of losing weight. You will run into problems if you intake is low. You need AT LEAST 4800 mg of potassium and 460 mg of Magnesium. Yes you can take supplements and yes you don't have to take it every day. You wont need to take supplements though if your diet is rich in foods that naturally have a lot of potassium. Foods like spinach, most meat, avocados, kale. I personally add a bit of NoSalt in my drinks to help with my potassium. It tastes like salted milk but it gets the job done.

• Fruit: I know what you're thinking. Can i have fruit on this diet? The answer is both yes and no. Fruit is a great source of fiber and vitamins but Fruit is also VERY high in carbs because of the natural sugar. Natural sugar is ok right? No it's not, not for someone who is overweight and is on the verge of type 2 diabetes. The point of low carb is to limit your carbs. However, for those that want some fruit, you can have berries like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries! They are fine in MODERATION. Raspberries are probably the best to eat out of the 4. Maybe like 2 or 3 raspberries should be good.

• Nuts: Nuts are a great source for healthy fats and potassium/magnesium. The only problem is just like fruit it can be high in carbs. Be careful about the nuts you choose to eat and the amount you eat. Nuts like cashews are a no no because they are too high in carbs. Try to eat a handful of almonds or pecans. Peanuts and pistachio are on the fence as well. While peanuts are high in fiber, fat and potassium, they are also carb heavy. It is easy to over eat peanuts. If you're gonna eat peanuts, make sure you really measure it out and eat no more of it. it can take you RIGHT OUT of ketosis with the quickness.

• Dairy: Yes you can have dairy on keto but just like nuts and berries it can take you right out of ketosis if you over do it. Milk contains a carb amount that is considered too high for keto! I wouldn't recommend drinking or using milk on keto. Try using almond milk instead! Things like cheese is good on keto as well. However, for those who have problems digesting cheese, it can make you bloat (make sure to contact your doctor if you think cheese or any type of dairy is making you feel sick) and since some cheese do have carbs, it can be easy to overeat and kick you out of ketosis. If you must eat cheese, eat the cheese that comes from the deli section. Most cheese sold in the dairy aisle are filled with non caking agents that increase carb count. Full fat cheeses are what you should be eating. None of that skim or fat free cheese. You want the full on 100% REAL CHEESE. Cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, provolone are all ok for the keto diet.

• Sugar Substitutes: Last but not least, the dreaded sugar substitutes. Just like the sodium intake, make sure you check with your doctor to make sure you don't have a allergy to certain sugar substitutes. There are two different kinds of substitutes. You have your natural sweeteners like stevia, monk sugar or erythritol and then you have your non natural sweeteners like splenda and aspartame. On Keto, i limit my sugar substitutes and when i use one, i use one of the natural ones. You technically CAN drink diet soda on keto. There are people drink like 2 diet cokes a day and are still in ketosis. It all depends on how your body reacts to the sugar. Just note that any type of sweetness can and will spike your insulin for a bit. So just be careful with sweetners. IF you must, use the natural ones.

• Intermittent Fasting. This is something that will aid in weight loss and is something you DON'T HAVE to do. Fasting is when you go without eating for more than 8 hours. I operate on a 16-8 schedule. This means i fast for 16 hours (yes these hours include sleep. FUN FACT: Did you know you burn a lot of fat in your sleep?) and i have an 8 hour eating window. No i don't eat for all 8 hours. There are days where i have three meals a day and there are days when i have 1 meal a day. It just depends on how hungry i am. Again DON'T EAT WHEN NOT HUNGRY. The more meals you eat though the more your insulin will spike. So choose what and when you eat wisely. You want ideally 2-3 hours between each meal (or snack).
What can you eat on Keto? Here are some sources for you:
Ketogenic Diet Foods – What to Eat and to Avoid – Diet Doctor
Joseph Arcita: A Guide to Ketosis

• Height
    • People who are 5'4 and below would need less calories than someone who is 5'5 and above. 900 calories would be fine for someone who is 5'2 but it would be terrible for someone who is 5'7. Depending on how tall you are, 1200 calories is fine. The taller you are, the more calories you need.

• Weight
    • If you are trying to lose weight YOU NEED to eat at a deficient. That means you should be eating at least 500 calories lower than you recommended daily value. Some people (people who are obese) need to go lower due to need to drop weight fast for health reasons.

• Fitness level
    • If you are working out, YOU NEED to eat more calories. You don't need to add like 3000 more calories but you should add something like 500-800 calories (mostly from fats and protein).

• Again, like i've said MANY times. EAT UNTIL YOU ARE NO LONGER HUNGRY. IF YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY DON'T EAT. Calories are important YES but it is true that if you overeat with your calories you either will stall or you will gain weight.
Here are some links to help your journey. They helped me and i'm sure they will help you too!

Dr. Eric Berg DC

KenDBerryMD

Dr Jason Fung

BeautifulBrwnBabyDol

Keto: The Home for Ketogenic Diets

(i am sorry for the typos)

Last edited:

Karma Enchilada

The anti-groupthink font
Reaction score
Reactions
13,425 962 656
Alleybux
Thanks for this! I've been looking for a Keto thread so I can find my people. LOL I keto much differently but there are a million ways to do it! I ONLY track net carbs (20 per day). I do OMAD (one meal a day). I incorporate extended fasts for autophagy and to speed weight loss! I'm constantly losing inches but my scale weight stalls from time to time. I drink my electrolytes constantly. I feel my best that way.

Must add Dr. Fung!!!! He is the single person who changed my life for the better.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Thanks for this! I've been looking for a Keto thread so I can find my people. LOL I keto much differently but there are a million ways to do it! I ONLY track net carbs (20 per day). I do OMAD (one meal a day). I incorporate extended fasts for autophagy and to speed weight loss! I'm constantly losing inches but my scale weight stalls from time to time. I drink my electrolytes constantly. I feel my best that way.

Must add Dr. Fung!!!! He is the single person who changed my life for the better.
I will add him.

I thought about including a part about keto flu and stalls but i thought by then the post would be too long and you know how LSA dont like to read lol

Karma Enchilada

The anti-groupthink font
Reaction score
Reactions
13,425 962 656
Alleybux
I will add him.

I thought about including a part about keto flu and stalls but i thought by then the post would be too long and you know how LSA dont like to read lol
Most of the time stalls are just unmoved bowels LOL! See Keto flu hit me hard because my dumb butt did not listen to the multitude of people saying electrolytes are not optional. I always feel above the law for some reason.

hawk1

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
856 8
Alleybux
Thank you for breaking this down. I've been trying to figure this out to start a program for myself.

MissShawna

Do your ghetto antics know no bounds!?
Reaction score
Reactions
228,832 6,531 2,493
Alleybux
How are you getting enough potassium in your diet based on your recommended number? I notice I feel better after some V8, it’s definitely the salt and potassium

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Most of the time stalls are just unmoved bowels LOL! See Keto flu hit me hard because my dumb butt did not listen to the multitude of people saying electrolytes are not optional. I always feel above the law for some reason.
YES! Electrolytes are NOT OPTIONAL at all. You need them. All electrolytes help each other work. You dont need to have the maximum amount of electrolytes per day but you need over half (which like i said would be very easy if you eat a good diet on keto).

Also, stalls can also be caused by your body holding on to excess water. I might be reiterating this wrong BUT when your body uses glucose as energy, water is a byproduct of that because of the cell being depleted (something like that). You should up your fat intake or lower your carb intake for a bit (like a week) to help your body to start burning fat properly again.

And yes bloating and be stocked up are byproducts of keto. It will most likely happen at least once or twice. To help with bloating, you should decrease your consumption of dairy and cruciferous veggies. Being stocked up just means you need more FIBER. So eat more fiber rich foods.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,086 3,948 416
Alleybux
Thanks so much. I used to do Atkins sucessfully back in the day and did keto successfully last spring.

I had been dreading doing keto this spring bc I really didnt feel like forcing myself to eat the high levels of fat, BUT your advice that the fat #s are a maximum and not a requirement are what I needed to hear. Im now excited to restart keto bc of your detailed tips:love

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
How are you getting enough potassium in your diet based on your recommended number? I notice I feel better after some V8, it’s definitely the salt and potassium
What do you mean? 4800mg is the daily recommendation. The word recommendation is strong here. I drink nosalt which has added potassium in it and it get a cool 1280mg of potassium just from that. Eating things like spinach, meats (bacon and salmon), ect ect can help with electrolytes. I can tell you first hand its difficult to reach daily recommendations but that is why they are recommendations. I probably get around 3000mg of potassium that way which is fine. If you are not on low carb or keto, V8 would be perfect to use.

Karma Enchilada

The anti-groupthink font
Reaction score
Reactions
13,425 962 656
Alleybux
Thanks so much. I used to do Atkins sucessfully back in the day and did keto successfully last spring.

I had been dreading doing keto this spring bc I really didnt feel like forcing myself to eat the high levels of fat, BUT your advice that the fat #s are a maximum and not a requirement are what I needed to hear. Im now excited to restart keto bc of your detailed tips:love
Yes! Your body has all the fat you need. Fat is for satiety.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux

The fat is to help keep you satiated! I would start with eating the food that your normally like to eat (that are keto) and go from there. If you are feeling like you NEED to eat more after that meal, the next day add more fat to it. Just remember that the more dietary fat you add to your diet, the more your body will use that as energy. You want your body to use your own fat as energy. If you stall and you can't lose weight, play around with your fat content and see if that helps.

naanon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
70,041 3,963 442
Alleybux
does anyone struggle with eating enough calories on Keto? I've only been doing it for 2 weeks but I can never eat over 1200 calories!

Karma Enchilada

The anti-groupthink font
Reaction score
Reactions
13,425 962 656
Alleybux
does anyone struggle with eating enough calories on Keto? I've only been doing it for 2 weeks but I can never eat over 1200 calories!
It's a struggle. I do one meal a day and don't calculate calories. I calculated one day out of curiosity and it was only 800 calories. I try to eat a snack after to get above a thousand.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
YES! I was going to add this but again i thought it was going to get too long.

-- Post added to the first one!

Last edited:

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux

Lol I skipped electrolytes before and the Charlie horses were killing me. I’d wake up screaming.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Lol I skipped electrolytes before and the Charlie horses were killing me. I’d wake up screaming.
Oh no. I've never woke up screaming before lol i have had the feelings of fatigue though that's about it. Honestly, i think most Keto'ers who have really bad side effects from electrolytes just aren't eating the right kinds of food (minimals veggies over abundance of meat and dairy). I mean you can eat how you want on keto and still lose weight but those electrolytes will deplete and it wont be pretty. Your body already has a reserve of electrolytes. Just getting like 1000 mg of potassium everyday or just 100 mg of magnesium helps. Also don't forget to salt your food!

ChampagneToast

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,582 1,005 210
Alleybux
Lesson #3 is very important

If you're trying to lose weight, you want to burn the fat you already store, so you don't need to add tons more to your diet

Seeing Green

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,587 1,522 696
Alleybux
How are you eating 4-7 cups of veggies a day and also only consuming 8 grams of carbs? I'm assuming you're referring to net carbs?

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
How are you eating 4-7 cups of veggies a day and also only consuming 8 grams of carbs? I'm assuming you're referring to net carbs?
yeah net carbs is what im talking about! Ill add that to the post so people dont get confused. I can normally get an easy 4 cups of veggies a day, 7 cups is a lot but it is doable!

Reaction score
Reactions
4,925 146 31
Alleybux
Hey, new to this whole Keto thing. I'm using Lifesum to track and I keep going over my protein. I tried to tweak it by taking out bacon in the morning and replacing with a veggie like mushrooms, but that makes me exceed my carb limit. I noticed in the app when you workout your protein and fat levels go down. I'm trying to workout 4 days a week. Is it okay for me to exceed my protein levels? How can I get it under control without drinking bullet coffees? Any advice would help, thanks!

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Hey, new to this whole Keto thing. I'm using Lifesum to track and I keep going over my protein. I tried to tweak it by taking out bacon in the morning and replacing with a veggie like mushrooms, but that makes me exceed my carb limit. I noticed in the app when you workout your protein and fat levels go down. I'm trying to workout 4 days a week. Is it okay for me to exceed my protein levels? How can I get it under control without drinking bullet coffees? Any advice would help, thanks!
Im sorry this has taken me a while to respond. It is OK for you to exceed protein levels only if you are working out with weights. You only want to go over maybe 10-20 grams. For your average sedentary person, 45-60g of protein per day is usually the limit. For someone who works out maybe 2-3 days per week you'd want on average between 60-120g depending on the workout. I don't recommend working out more than 2-3 times per week. Recovery is very important especially if you are lifting weights.

You don't need to drink bullet coffees if you don't want to. I would say a great way to reach your protein goals would be to eat things like chicken breast, salmon, ground beef, bacon and peanuts (can kick you out of ketosis if you eat too much, i recommend starting off with pre packaged portions). If you are eating a good diet, you shouldn't need to supplement with whey protein (which can kick you out of ketosis quick). Here is a plan you could follow on a two meal a day kind of thing.

Lunch: Spinach (at least 85-180g), 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, bacon bits (or bacon), 2-3 large eggs, peanuts ( used planters which has 4 grams of carbs per 85g)

Dinner: Salmon (you want to be around 50-90g) with garlic infused brown butter, green beans (again at least 80-180 grams), a piece of chocolate (i eat the inspiration 72% chocolate where 3 pieces is like 6 grams of carbs).

Drink a minimum half a gallon of water up to a gallon. Some of the water CAN be replaced with things like coffee or tea.

Eating like that will help you reach your protein, electrolytes and much more. Not only that, but you will come in WELL under 20 grams of net carbs with a decent amount of fiber from the chocolate, spinach and peanuts. You can play around with what you want to eat. This is just what i would personally eat on two meals a day.

Waterlover

Meek-ri Marvey
Reaction score
Reactions
45,865 1,501 1,261
Alleybux
Good luck
Id only practice keto if i had a function to attend.

I like variety too much and the keto diet is too restrictive. I need more flexibility or i begin to obsess about food.

Who is eating 2 or 3 raspberries?

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Good luck
Id only practice keto if i had a function to attend.

I like variety too much and the keto diet is too restrictive. I need more flexibility or i begin to obsess about food.

Who is eating 2 or 3 raspberries?
I’m a very picky eater so I can probably do it for a while before getting sick of it. But you are right, it is a VERY restrictive diet and I believe unless you absolutely love the food on keto you shouldn’t be on it for more than 7 months to a year. It’s great to help lose weight though. But I think the results of the plan are drastically over rated (takes a while to see real results with it).

Miss_Single

“Karma is the most patient gangster ever”
Reaction score
Reactions
38,061 1,457 295
Alleybux
I’m not doing Keto but this was very informative. Thanks for breaking it way down.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,925 146 31
Alleybux
Im sorry this has taken me a while to respond. It is OK for you to exceed protein levels only if you are working out with weights. You only want to go over maybe 10-20 grams. For your average sedentary person, 45-60g of protein per day is usually the limit. For someone who works out maybe 2-3 days per week you'd want on average between 60-120g depending on the workout. I don't recommend working out more than 2-3 times per week. Recovery is very important especially if you are lifting weights.

You don't need to drink bullet coffees if you don't want to. I would say a great way to reach your protein goals would be to eat things like chicken breast, salmon, ground beef, bacon and peanuts (can kick you out of ketosis if you eat too much, i recommend starting off with pre packaged portions). If you are eating a good diet, you shouldn't need to supplement with whey protein (which can kick you out of ketosis quick). Here is a plan you could follow on a two meal a day kind of thing.

Lunch: Spinach (at least 85-180g), 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, bacon bits (or bacon), 2-3 large eggs, peanuts ( used planters which has 4 grams of carbs per 85g)

Dinner: Salmon (you want to be around 50-90g) with garlic infused brown butter, green beans (again at least 80-180 grams), a piece of chocolate (i eat the inspiration 72% chocolate where 3 pieces is like 6 grams of carbs).

Drink a minimum half a gallon of water up to a gallon. Some of the water CAN be replaced with things like coffee or tea.

Eating like that will help you reach your protein, electrolytes and much more. Not only that, but you will come in WELL under 20 grams of net carbs with a decent amount of fiber from the chocolate, spinach and peanuts. You can play around with what you want to eat. This is just what i would personally eat on two meals a day.
Hello, thank you so much. I will be incooperating some of these things going forward. I also recently changed the carb tracking app. The one I was using was inaccurate and was driving me crazy. My goal right is to up my water intake and have more BM. I don't poop enough so I'm trying to increase my fiber. I bought ground flaxseeds and put it in my smoothies. Any recommendations to get more fibers?

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Hello, thank you so much. I will be incooperating some of these things going forward. I also recently changed the carb tracking app. The one I was using was inaccurate and was driving me crazy. My goal right is to up my water intake and have more BM. I don't poop enough so I'm trying to increase my fiber. I bought ground flaxseeds and put it in my smoothies. Any recommendations to get more fibers?
Well first, don't get crazy with tracking. After you get used to eating low carb, you'll become better at what foods you need and the amounts without tracking. I'Ve gotten pretty good at it, sometimes i don't even need a scale. I rarely track on MFP anymore (only when i eat a new meal or i'm unsure about what i ate that day). As long as you know that the food you are eating is relatively low carb, you shouldn't have a problem with keto. Read the labels before you buy, you'll find that there are lots of foods you can fit into your diet.

Fiber is interesting because on keto or most low carb diets the reason why you don't have a lot of bowel movements is not because you are constipated, but because your body is using the food you give it. Normally, the food that you eat that the body doesn't use will sit until you have movement because it's full of non digestible stuff. On Keto, majority of the food you will be eating are already VERY friendly to human digestion and your body will literally use up 90% of it before any of it gets to sit ( so think of it as plants eating a dead animal carcass until only bones remain). So don't be alarmed if you don't have a bowel movement every single day. Be alarmed when you feel backed up and sick. Like always, if you feel like you have a problem, contact your doctor.

There are lots of options to get fiber on low carb. At first i was scared of higher carb foods on low carb but after doing some reading, most of the higher carb foods also have higher fiber which means they have a lower net carb. So food like avocados, green beans, peanuts, chocolate, flaxseed and chia seeds have a natural higher carb count but they are also higher in fiber. If you eat a diet rich with foods like that, you will have an easier time with bowel movements. But keep in mind that more fiber doesn't always equal a bowel movement. It just means your bowel movement will be more easier to get through .

FUN FACT: fiber attaches itself to the food you eat and creates a slimy film over it making it smoother, fuller and easier to pass. That is why when you don't have a fiber rich diet, your movements are likely hard, lumpy and crumbly.

Another thing you could try is a good probiotic. Ask your doctor about the right one for you. You can use teas and stuff too though just do your research thoroughly. Not all probiotics are made the same. Some people get backed up and constipated on their new diet because their gut is unhealthy. The bacteria in your gut is basically rebelling by way of starvation because you aren't giving them mcdonalds, candy and chips anymore; thereby causing an upset. Eventually over time that bacteria will die out and new bacteria will come in craving your new diet. This transition can also cause some upset as well and usually takes a couple of months. You can speed up the process by using probiotics.

Another thing you can do is drink more water (up to half a gallon a day for most sedentary/moderately active people). Water also makes bowel movements pass better. Hydration is very important.

I've actually increased my carb count recently which also gave me more fiber. So i've introduced two new regular things. Peanuts and CHOCOLATE.

Do not be afraid of chocolate on low carb or keto. Chocolate is an EXCELLENT source of fiber, potassium, magnesium, iron and of course calories. If you are like me and you struggle with calorie consumption, i found eating chocolate helps. I also feel better eating it.

For chocolate, i'm currently eating Taste of Inspiration 72% extra dark belgian dark chocolate. I'll eat between 2-4 squares a day. At 2 net carbs per square (2 grams of fiber per square), they are pretty easy to fit into my keto. If you can't find this chocolate, i recommend going with any organic non gmo brand or a brand that has a good reputation that is at least 70% dark chocolate. If its under 70% then i don't recommend eating it unless you can absolutely fit it into your net carb allowance.

The peanuts i eat are just plain ole salted peanuts by planters. I eat salted because i need the sodium. I buy the individual packets from sams club and they have 4 grams of net carb and 4 grams of fiber per pack (about 49g per pack. A good amount of peanuts). Of course just like the chocolate, peanuts are also an AMAZING source of potassium and magnesium even more so than chocolate. Great nutrient dense snack.

I hope this helps out. Feel free to contact me in private if you have any more questions.

mocahontas

☽☆☽
Reaction score
Reactions
72,419 1,399 221
Alleybux
@pet Bump.Great thread!

Can you give some examples of meals that you make to hit your macros?

I'm new to this & really need some meal prep ideas.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Hey guys. I will be updating this soon with some new information so be on the look out ♥

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom