How I job hunt as a seasoned job-hopper

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
Posting off the back of this thread: Learn and Bounce the new job strategy

Since right now I'm looking for my 8th role in the span of 5 years and am feeling moderately confident I'll get something quickly, with a raise, here's how I tackle job-hunting. P.S. I'm a (technical) project manager with two and a half years in that field but about 5 years client facing experience otherwise (customer support/account manager). Mostly applying for SaaS roles but there are a few outliers.

1. I almost never apply for just one job. I am aware many companies will simply dismiss my CV due to job-hopper status. This hasn't always been my method but I like to have options (with the potential to play offers against each other).
  2. I apply directly, never through LinkedIn unless it is the only way I can apply.
  3. I write a short (200-300 words) cover letter which explains how I fit the person specification they listed, and also gives insight into why I'm looking for a new role. Sometimes I use the same letter for multiple applications but only where it looks relevant and still tailored to what they're seeking.
  4. When they ask me for interview availability, I pick the earliest slots I can possibly accommodate - people get interviews cancelled because recruitment is boring and they often pick the first person they like.
  5. I do not pay attention to rejection emails. Ain't nothing gonna get me down - I have a goal and I will attain it, the end. If I don't get it, it's not right for ME.
  6. I've applied to the same companies multiple times over the years. There are certain businesses whose products I like, I am persistent and eventually I find I get an interview even if they have rejected me before.
  7. I've found 8-9 months in a role to be the point at which I get more requests for interview than if I was looking for a new job after less time than that.
I've found that over the years, the jobs I really think I'm perfect for, I get. Whether I like them when I get there is a different story, but I think the confidence comes across in my cover letters (which never have passive language; I say things like "I know I'd be an ideal fit" (not "think"), I will never ever say something along the lines of "grateful for the opportunity") and in turn makes them confident.

This round I've applied for... 25 roles in the space of a week (1 today, 6 yesterday, 1 on Monday, 17 last Friday). Lol
3 were LinkedIn throwaways
2 were real LinkedIn applications (no cover letters required)
1 was through a start up job board
The rest were direct to company through their careers pages.

So far I've had:
2 rejections without interview
5 invitations to first stage interview (3 calls done pending outcome, 2 due to take place next week)
1 invitation to second stage interview (rejected after 2nd stage)
20 no response (so far)

Got a meeting with my manager on 24th March and really want to give notice by then, so hoping these companies go quickly, but I mostly want a 10k raise and a permanent role.

If any questions, ask away... will update as I go through the processes/get more responses.

P.S. Sorry if this comes across as dear diary, I've seriously thought about coaching younger people in job-seeking because it can be tiresome but trust me if you are persistent and know how to play the game you will get somewhere...

Last edited:

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,905 494,869 222,832
Alleybux
I do the same OP. I actually lie on my resume with time frames and job titles. But I was at my job for a year. Bored now but I got hired else where. Waiting on my two weeks. If the job requires you to apply via email : thats my sweet spot.

I copy and paste resume descriptions from the web. I usually can do the job I wish I literally make it up as if I'm super excited to be called by the company/

Damngina10

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,176 1,651 605
Alleybux
Also network. I had a five year period of job hopping but never struggled to find a job and was actually reached out to specifically for the last two jobs all because I network. I don’t just send a quick email stating my need and done . I call her people familiar with my voice . Mention a follow up when we talk again about something we’ve previously discussed ( oh carol . How’s little Matt doing ? He still playing the violin ?) . I show up to non mandatory meetings I know the big wigs will be at get them familiar with my face and name . Every now and then I do a little side project that makes my boss’ life easier and she goes to meetings praising me . I answer emails promptly and return calls . People know me as someone who can make things happen , so when I apply places people see my name on the list and immediately reach out to interview . And it should go without saying make sure your name is associated with good work lol because there are some people that EVERYONE knows them and knows that they are lazy and incompetent.

TheUltimateRush

Electric Relaxation
Reaction score
Reactions
34,158 600 83
Alleybux
How did you get into project management if you don’t mind me asking? And do you mind if I quote the OP in the UK jobs thread?

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
How did you get into project management if you don’t mind me asking? And do you mind if I quote the OP in the UK jobs thread?

Feel free to quote.

I got a former manager in the industry where I'd been an account manager to refer me for a project coordinator role. Quickly did PRINCE2 Agile Foundation and Practitioner certifications in the first 2 months of starting (self-taught, I bought the book and paid for the Foundation cert which is currently £311 for exam only; got my job to pay for the Practitioner cert which is £436 exam only - PeopleCert. They happily paid for the cert and claimed I would need to stay 12 months after but they forgot about that by the time I left), the project manager left and I got that person's job. Easier to switch fields in an industry you know very well. I chose project management because of earnings potential and the demand I saw for the field. It was a really easy transition for me.

Last edited:

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,587 16,179 6,462
Alleybux
Excellent thread here. Especially around interviewing as soon as possible, ty for these tips.

Question:

• How do you push back verbally on calls with gatekeepers, and HR, when they ask about why you are looking for a new role "so soon", or try to shame you for job hopping?

Because obviously...you are speaking to them now so there must be some interest or need on their side.

• Here I am asking, are there any keywords or phrases you use to show confidence, and also signal you are willing to be there for the long term if they are the right "fit". (Without using that word)

Addressing it, but moving past it is what I'm trying to work on. Do you have any tactics to flip that conversation when someone is trying to use it to rule you out?

Last edited:

Zilla

Anti-Incel -R.I.P Cheverly
Reaction score
Reactions
105,002 3,338 835
Alleybux
I really appreciate this thread OP. I too am a job hopper (not voluntarily) loved the stats

Sleepb4nine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,282 553 100
Alleybux
Also network. I had a five year period of job hopping but never struggled to find a job and was actually reached out to specifically for the last two jobs all because I network. I don’t just send a quick email stating my need and done . I call her people familiar with my voice . Mention a follow up when we talk again about something we’ve previously discussed ( oh carol . How’s little Matt doing ? He still playing the violin ?) . I show up to non mandatory meetings I know the big wigs will be at get them familiar with my face and name . Every now and then I do a little side project that makes my boss’ life easier and she goes to meetings praising me . I answer emails promptly and return calls . People know me as someone who can make things happen , so when I apply places people see my name on the list and immediately reach out to interview . And it should go without saying make sure your name is associated with good work lol because there are some people that EVERYONE knows them and knows that they are lazy and incompetent.

i do this and my coworkers still don’t gaf. They say good job and keep it pushing. What kind of conversations do I need to be having with these old white me. I get bored from small talk and I’m also afraid of speaking on things I’m passionate about

Sleepb4nine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,282 553 100
Alleybux
Excellent thread here. Especially around interviewing as soon as possible, ty for these tips.

Question:

How do you push back verbally on calls with gatekeepers, and HR, when they ask about why you are looking for a new role "so soon", or try to shame you for job hopping?

Because obviously...you are speaking to them now so there must be some interest or need on their side.

Here I am asking, are there any keywords or phrases you use to show confidence, and also signal you are willing to be there for the long term if they are the right "fit". (Without using that word)

Any tactics to flip that conversation when someone is trying to use it to rule you out?

for meeee I always mention company culture. I mention what kind of work environment I thrive in. And to me that’s constantly changing/ team work / individual. Basically what are you looking for in us. Most companies want you to do the research. For me I just mention how much I require my work space to be able to share and receive value. I listen to clubhouse rooms and copy how they speak. They speak in broad terms and often it reflects value. I want to learn from where I’m working and I also want to give resources and value to your organization.

Sleepb4nine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,282 553 100
Alleybux
Feel free to quote.

I got a former manager in the industry where I'd been an account manager to refer me for a project coordinator role. Quickly did PRINCE2 Agile Foundation and Practitioner certifications in the first 2 months of starting (self-taught, I bought the book and paid for the Foundation cert which is currently £311 for exam only; got my job to pay for the Practitioner cert which is £436 exam only - PeopleCert. They happily paid for the cert and claimed I would need to stay 12 months after but they forgot about that by the time I left), the project manager left and I got that person's job. Easier to switch fields in an industry you know very well. I chose project management because of earnings potential and the demand I saw for the field. It was a really easy with for me.

what is project management. I’m in admin but I want to branch out. I got a hr opportunity so I’m gonna start with that

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,587 16,179 6,462
Alleybux
for meeee I always mention company culture. I mention what kind of work environment I thrive in. And to me that’s constantly changing/ team work / individual. Basically what are you looking for in us. Most companies want you to do the research. For me I just mention how much I require my work space to be able to share and receive value. I listen to clubhouse rooms and copy how they speak. They speak in broad terms and often it reflects value. I want to learn from where I’m working and I also want to give resources and value to your organization.

Thanks for this.

What do you usually include to shown you have done the research?

I feel like I'm often cut off when I'm giving the information I know about the brand, and the gatekeeper is quick to chime in.

I want to skillfully show my knowledge there, before they do.

Last edited:

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux

Question:

• How do you push back verbally on calls with gatekeepers, and HR, when they ask about why you are looking for a new role "so soon", or try to shame you for job hopping?

• Here I am asking, are there any keywords or phrases you use to show confidence, and also signal you are willing to be there for the long term if they are the right "fit". (Without using that word)

Addressing it, but moving past it is what I'm trying to work on. Do you have any tactics to flip that conversation when someone is trying to use it to rule you out?

How do you push back verbally on calls with gatekeepers, and HR, when they ask about why you are looking for a new role "so soon", or try to shame you for job hopping?

Authenticity has mostly worked for me. I try not to read into the tone of these questions and ultimately expect them to ask, so I'm never really caught off guard by it. If I'm leaving before 6 months its likely down to company culture (and because of it being less than 6 months, I probably have a 1 week notice period due to probation so kind of highlight that's why I want to move at that point). If longer, it's because I've achieved more than anyone could have expected in that time and seek growth - potentially may address how growth has been stalled in existing company but will not be negative about them or the work itself, just truthful.

Always remember... there are people who have no choice but to leave, because they got fired. I think employers are moreso wary that potential candidates might have been let go from previous perm roles... (never been fired so not the case with me).

Are there any keywords or phrases you use to show confidence, and also signal you are willing to be there for the long term if they are the right "fit". (Without using that word)

I don't really go there if I'm honest. I express that I am looking for a permanent role somewhere that I can continue to grow, I don't really talk about the culture fit because you simply won't know what it's like until you get there regardless of what they tell you about social groups and free lunches. However I also have a (in hindsight) lucky position of two of my longest roles being ones I was made redundant from with large portions of the staff - so I am able to point out that I could have been there for the long haul but had no choice in the matter.

i do this and my coworkers still don’t gaf. They say good job and keep it pushing. What kind of conversations do I need to be having with these old white me. I get bored from small talk and I’m also afraid of speaking on things I’m passionate about

I'm sure plenty will have different experience but I've found white women who are actually good at their job without being bitchy (introverted types) to be my best advocates. A few older white men have been helpful but never the suit and tie wearers.

what is project management. I’m in admin but I want to branch out. I got a hr opportunity so I’m gonna start with that

Project management is working on temporary pieces of work to deliver an agreed outcome which is usually decided from discovery research before the project, or set out by a client's requirements (which a project manager is usually involved in gathering). You need to understand who is doing the work, manage their delivery of the work, manage the process of reporting progress and risks on the project, and understand "methodologies" (Agile - Scrum, Lean, Kanban, Waterfall - PRINCE2). That's a really broad description. Technical project management can involve managing the process of work to deliver software/features in a technical company, or implementing solutions with clients.

Sleepb4nine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,282 553 100
Alleybux
Thanks for this.

What do you usually include to shown you have done the research?

nothing I make everything up on the spot. But working in corporate I understand they went to hire someone they don’t have to micromanage and teach. they wanna hire someone who is willing to WORK. Lmao believe it or not you’re gotta show passion through the phone through connecting it with your own life, experience and the job that you applied for.

I often have more than one interview. The recruiter asks about you ok good you ask your questions to make sure you have experience in the job you applied . I then stalk everyone on linked in CEO, CFO, HR and a few people below that. I study their resume. I study the job and basically imagine myself as if my current job is similar BUT you’re looking for more growth, you’re looking for more . This is why I apply to a lot of start ups and modern business, corporates that are moving and growing. Match their energy of wanting to grow. I wanna grow and learn and give value.
That’s what you hit them with in the second interview.

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,587 16,179 6,462
Alleybux
nothing I make everything up on the spot. But working in corporate I understand they went to hire someone they don’t have to micromanage and teach. they wanna hire someone who is willing to WORK. Lmao believe it or not you’re gotta show passion through the phone through connecting it with your own life, experience and the job that you applied for.

I often have more than one interview. The recruiter asks about you ok good you ask your questions to make sure you have experience in the job you applied . I then stalk everyone on linked in CEO, CFO, HR and a few people below that. I study their resume. I study the job and basically imagine myself as if my current job is similar BUT you’re looking for more growth, you’re looking for more . This is why I apply to a lot of start ups and modern business, corporates that are moving and growing. Match their energy of wanting to grow. I wanna grow and learn and give value

upload_2021-3-11_15-16-57.png

Boom, I would hire you.

Thanks for this!

4KgN.gif

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
More info on no. 7, if you please. Wasn’t quite clear.

Just somewhat stating the obvious - you'll get more responses the longer you've been in your role but the significant mark I feel I see a difference in the number of responses I get is after 8-9 months in a role.

Leaving after 3 months - maybe 2/3 in 20 will offer an interview
Leaving after 6 months - not really much change on 3 months (probably because they are nervous people were let go at probation)
Leaving after 8 months - 5-8 in 20 will offer an interview

I'll update the stats in OP as my job hunt progresses, I'm at 5 interviews out of 25 after 8 months (6 days post application for the earliest set i applied for), I left after 3/4 months last year and it was long, but i lucked out into a startup

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,188 7,127 2,872
Alleybux
Just somewhat stating the obvious - you'll get more responses the longer you've been in your role but the significant mark I feel I see a difference in the number of responses I get is after 8-9 months in a role.

Leaving after 6 months - not really much change on 3 months (probably because they are nervous people were let go at probation)

I'll update the stats in OP as my job hunt progresses, I'm at 5 interviews out of 25 after 8 months (6 days post application for the earliest set i applied for), I left after 3/4 months last year and it was long, but i lucked out into a startup

The syntax didn’t make the meaning obvious. But this makes sense and can be a relief to many who think you have to have kept a job for years before before being considered for another role.

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,587 16,179 6,462
Alleybux

These numbers are right in line with what I've experienced.

And at the year mark it seems like there are more recruiting offers from more conservative companies.

Last edited:

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
These numbers are right in line with what I've experienced.

And at the year mark it seems like there are more recruiting offers from more conservative companies.

I literally tell people all the time that it's a numbers game unless you have niche skills.

However, applying for jobs you actually want to do and genuinely fit 60% of the job spec for is key to at least getting those numbers I quoted. Applying for everything and anything is spamming which is often entirely fruitless.

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,419 18,059
Alleybux

Since right now I'm looking for my 8th role in the span of 5 years and am feeling moderately confident I'll get something quickly, with a raise, here's how I tackle job-hunting. P.S. I'm a (technical) project manager with two and a half years in that field but about 5 years client facing experience otherwise (customer support/account manager). Mostly applying for SaaS roles but there are a few outliers.

1. I almost never apply for just one job. I am aware many companies will simply dismiss my CV due to job-hopper status. This hasn't always been my method but I like to have options (with the potential to play offers against each other).
  2. I apply directly, never through LinkedIn unless it is the only way I can apply.
  3. I write a short (200-300 words) cover letter which explains how I fit the person specification they listed, and also gives insight into why I'm looking for a new role. Sometimes I use the same letter for multiple applications but only where it looks relevant and still tailored to what they're seeking.
  4. When they ask me for interview availability, I pick the earliest slots I can possibly accommodate - people get interviews cancelled because recruitment is boring and they often pick the first person they like.
  5. I do not pay attention to rejection emails. Ain't nothing gonna get me down - I have a goal and I will attain it, the end. If I don't get it, it's not right for ME.
  6. I've applied to the same companies multiple times over the years. There are certain businesses whose products I like, I am persistent and eventually I find I get an interview even if they have rejected me before.
  7. I've found 8-9 months in a role to be the point at which I get more requests for interview than if I was looking for a new job after less time than that.
I've found that over the years, the jobs I really think I'm perfect for, I get. Whether I like them when I get there is a different story, but I think the confidence comes across in my cover letters (which never have passive language; I say things like "I know I'd be an ideal fit" (not "think"), I will never ever say something along the lines of "grateful for the opportunity") and in turn makes them confident.

This round I've applied for... 25 roles in the space of a week (1 today, 6 yesterday, 1 on Monday, 17 last Friday). Lol

So far I've had:
5 invitations to first stage interview (3 calls done pending outcome, 2 due to take place next week)
20 no response (so far)

Got a meeting with my manager on 24th March and really want to give notice by then, so hoping these companies go quickly, but I mostly want a 10k raise and a permanent role.

If any questions, ask away... will update as I go through the processes/get more responses.

P.S. Sorry if this comes across as dear diary, I've seriously thought about coaching younger people in job-seeking because it can be tiresome but trust me if you are persistent and know how to play the game you will get somewhere...
Does the pay increase with each job switch? I would at least stay a year. Lol and have you ever gotten 2 jobs at once?

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
Does the pay increase with each job switch? I would at least stay a year. Lol and have you ever gotten 2 jobs at once?

Usually the pay increases but sometimes I've left very quickly and merely wanted to retain the pay.

2 at once, you mean received 2 offers in one round of job hunting? Yes. I've also started a job before I finished the old one ha, was working from home for 2 companies and neither knew lol

Magical Unicorn

Rihanna's Marshmallow
Reaction score
Reactions
67,060 1,837 896
Alleybux
Thanks so much for this thread. I'm also in project management but because I fell into it at my company I don't actually have Agile, Scrum, etc. qualifications. Definitely something I'll be investing in once I can afford it or negotiate it with an employer.

How do you structure your cover letters? This is what I struggle with most, I don't like just sending a CV (feels impersonal and lazy), so I'd prefer to accompany it with a short letter. Unfortunately the way my writer's block is set up it's like pulling teeth lol

Scorpion

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,661 2,744 452
Alleybux
How much in total has your salary increased in 5 years? I'm on my 3rd job in the last 3 years. My salary has only jumped about $15k, but I'm still early in my career and these changes were necessary in order for me to gain the experience I need to get the senior level position I want. Next bump (in 1.5-2 years) should be significant, aiming for $20-25k increase.

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,121 3,085 528
Alleybux
I love love love you OP.

I just realized I have to stop downing myself for job hopping. In my line of work. I benefits you to do a little job hopping in social services because they do not pay you your worth. Why would I stay if I give my all and you still only give a little. Or a stay and you still pass me over.

I love this thread already.

I finally found my people

Molly Grue

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Reaction score
Reactions
67,110 3,619 1,400
Alleybux

This is good advice but Jesus thinking about having to do all that extra social stuff just makes me cringe! I'm not good at it and bc of my social anxiety and depression it causes way more stress for me than my actual work. You are right it's really important though. You can be a straight dummy and charm your way into a better role with a higher salary, especially men - the good old boys club still exists.

Miss Themyscira

my neck, my back, my whip
Reaction score
Reactions
8,325 133 47
Alleybux
This!!! I’ve skipped directly to the final round at so many places because friends and former co-workers vouched for me.

Purrr

i got love for amala
Reaction score
Reactions
94,006 2,887 1,017
Alleybux
I love this thread. More young people should be job hopping honestly. I mean most of these companies are fully prepared to work you to death with very little reciprocity.

Gone are the days where we stayed at jobs for eons due to pensions and good benefits.

I also don’t see the point of remaining at jobs that don’t offer basic perks most companies offer nowadays like unlimited PTO/sick and work from home days. If a company doesn’t have either of those options I don’t even bother.

Also - tip for job hoppers, in addition to mentioning leaving for more opportunities growth wise, you can always use the excuse of “company x is relocating to area x and not offering relocation assistance or remote work options” most employers are reasonable enough to understand that is outside your control.

Otherwise, you can always exaggerate the amount of time you worked at the company. I have done that a few times.

greyblue

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,422 140 6
Alleybux
I support this thread!

I'm done job hopping now because I'm where I want to be....but job hopping and doing many of the tips you suggested when I was younger got me here! Good luck everyone! Keep your eye on the prize and don't stop until you reach it. Even then don't get complacent...always stay ready to job hop in case these fools stop acting right. :ROFLMAO:

ASHAWO

Bad Bunny Stan Account
Reaction score
Reactions
13,801 708 45
Alleybux
This is helpful. I’ve been with my current employer for 18 months and I’ve been trying to jump ship since my one year mark. Luckily, I have two interviews this week *crosses fingers*

but even then, if I get those jobs - I’m jumping ship around the 9-12 month mark because I’ll be done with my masters.

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
Update - stats
8 first stage interview invites
6 first stage done so far
1 first stage pending
1 first stage declined by me (simply dont have time to read 3x30 page documents, 2 articles and watch a video for a stage 1 interview)
1 rejection after first stage
3 first stage pending response
2 second stage interview invites
1 second stage done so far
1 second stage pending
1 rejection after second stage

Thanks so much for this thread. I'm also in project management but because I fell into it at my company I don't actually have Agile, Scrum, etc. qualifications. Definitely something I'll be investing in once I can afford it or negotiate it with an employer.

How do you structure your cover letters? This is what I struggle with most, I don't like just sending a CV (feels impersonal and lazy), so I'd prefer to accompany it with a short letter. Unfortunately the way my writer's block is set up it's like pulling teeth lol

Here's one of them:

To the XX team,

I'm a tenacious agile project manager with a love of SaaS who is looking for a new role after my existing contract ends at XX. With two and a half years of project and delivery experience, I have also worked in operational roles at organisations of all size and am a proven client manager who has fast-tracked my career in tech (both SaaS and eCommerce), learning from every organisation I have been a part of.

I've worked as part of product teams and also implementation teams, as part of the latter experience managing simultaneous projects of varying size and complexity for enterprise clients. I am technically aware and am dedicated to growing my own knowledge to best support engineering teams; I am currently coming toward the end of an IT MSc degree which I have completed alongside full time work (Python, JavaScript and SQL being some key practical skills I have learned or improved as part of it). I'm also well versed in excel from plenty of experience manipulating data in previous roles.

I'm meticulously organised and a natural problem solver who has a knack for spotting opportunities to enable teams to work smarter, and to improve end user or client experience - and using my initiative to devise solutions and roll out new processes.

I feel my combination of client-facing and project experience coupled with my enthusiasm about the XX product is an ideal fit for this role, so it'd be great to have the opportunity to tell you more about myself.

Kind regards,
XX

Are these contractual roles you're bouncing from?

Nope. My current role is a contract but it's been extended so still leaving early.

How much in total has your salary increased in 5 years? I'm on my 3rd job in the last 3 years. My salary has only jumped about $15k, but I'm still early in my career and these changes were necessary in order for me to gain the experience I need to get the senior level position I want. Next bump (in 1.5-2 years) should be significant, aiming for $20-25k increase.

£21,000 in 5 years - UK is tough out there unless you start high in my opinion. They ask for your previous salary so they can merely match it or raise it a couple of grand.

This is helpful. I’ve been with my current employer for 18 months and I’ve been trying to jump ship since my one year mark. Luckily, I have two interviews this week *crosses fingers*

but even then, if I get those jobs - I’m jumping ship around the 9-12 month mark because I’ll be done with my masters.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Magical Unicorn

Rihanna's Marshmallow
Reaction score
Reactions
67,060 1,837 896
Alleybux
Update - Out of 25 roles I've been offered first stage interviews for 8 of them. Still waiting for a(nother) stage 2...
I declined to interview for one due to the intensity of their process also.

Here's one of them:

To the XX team,

I'm a tenacious agile project manager with a love of SaaS who is looking for a new role after my existing contract ends at XX. With two and a half years of project and delivery experience, I have also worked in operational roles at organisations of all size and am a proven client manager who has fast-tracked my career in tech (both SaaS and eCommerce), learning from every organisation I have been a part of.

I've worked as part of product teams and also implementation teams, as part of the latter experience managing simultaneous projects of varying size and complexity for enterprise clients. I am technically aware and am dedicated to growing my own knowledge to best support engineering teams; I am currently coming toward the end of an IT MSc degree which I have completed alongside full time work (Python, JavaScript and SQL being some key practical skills I have learned or improved as part of it). I'm also well versed in excel from plenty of experience manipulating data in previous roles.

I'm meticulously organised and a natural problem solver who has a knack for spotting opportunities to enable teams to work smarter, and to improve end user or client experience - and using my initiative to devise solutions and roll out new processes.

I feel my combination of client-facing and project experience coupled with my enthusiasm about the XX product is an ideal fit for this role, so it'd be great to have the opportunity to tell you more about myself.

Kind regards,
XX

Nope. My current role is a contract but it's been extended so still leaving early.

£21,000 in 5 years - UK is tough out there unless you start high in my opinion. They ask for your previous salary so they can merely match it or raise it a couple of grand.

Good luck!

Thanks so much!

Kmissa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,606 302 82
Alleybux
So many gems in this thread. Thanks so much for sharing and good luck on your quest for a better, perm role. I had a bout of job hopping a few years back, but I’ve been with my current company for 5 years now.

I’m in a similar SaaS space, but not as PM. I def need to buckle down with a data analytics course and expand my skill set.

Azuraaa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,441 2,656 1,331
Alleybux
Update - stats
26 applications
10 first stage interview invites
4 2nd stage interviews invites

And so the process continues into next week...

Last edited:

BrownSkyn22

I just came to dance...dassit.
Reaction score
Reactions
94,054 2,758 571
Alleybux

So far I've had:
20 no response (so far)

Thank you. I'm gonna try this soon.

emmastoned

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,475 161 149
Alleybux
Update - stats
26 applications
10 first stage interview invites
4 2nd stage interviews invites

And so the process continues into next week...

Good luck on your journey, let us know how the round two interviews go! Hoping you get the job and thanks for all the tips

lamillion

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,777 371 97
Alleybux
What clubhouse rooms are you in?

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom