Quantcast

How is the healthcare industry for the ATL area?

michele6608

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,978 1,813 876
Alleybux
I have a Masters Degree in Healthcare Management 20 years in healthcare field and I’ve been trying to find a job in the Atlanta healthcare field for over a year with absolutely not one call back. I use a Atlanta address on my resume so that couldn’t be the problem. If you’re looking for clerical positions there are many.

UWildNoseyb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,425 4,314 1,484
Alleybux
I have a Masters Degree in Healthcare Management 20 years in healthcare field and I’ve been trying to find a job in the Atlanta healthcare field for over a year with absolutely not one call back. I use a Atlanta address on my resume so that couldn’t be the problem. If you’re looking for clerical positions there are many.
Wtf.. that’s ridiculous

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,679 8,626 481
Alleybux
Your overqualified for Atlanta. They will not pay you what your deserved.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,173 7,433 1,115
Alleybux

Really there is alot of them there especially in Dunwoody area where Northside , Kaiser , Piedmont and those others are at.

I did IT in healthcare over there but that was it.

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,679 8,626 481
Alleybux
She might have to dumb down her resume if she has more experience than these jobs are asking for.
Start trimming off a few years
I was told to do the same thing with my resume. It’s frustrating and I never had to do it when I lived up north.

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
The jobs you qualify for are on lock. Atlanta is a network city. You cannot sit on the internet and just apply for jobs with that much experience in a field. The organizations these days would rather hire younger people with less experience for less pay. There are plenty of healthcare jobs in Atlanta but its who you know, not what you know and how much experience you have.

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,679 8,626 481
Alleybux
The jobs you qualify for are on lock. Atlanta is a network city. You cannot sit on the internet and just apply for jobs with that much experience in a field. The organizations these days would rather hire younger people with less experience for less pay. There are plenty of healthcare jobs in Atlanta but its who you know, not what you know and how much experience you have.
It’s like this in every field in Atlanta. Still can’t get a corporate job here. Got my PMP certification and everything. Right now I work in manufacturing company as a Supply Chain Analyst and I hate it. Tried the network thing here in Atlanta and it so fake and it’s bµllsh!t. The people here in these jobs are horrible. With my education and skill set from up north, I can run circles around them.

michele6608

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,978 1,813 876
Alleybux
She might have to dumb down her resume if she has more experience than these jobs are asking for.
Start trimming off a few years
The problem with dumbing down your resume is that you get less money. Georgia is getting to expensive to live for what they’re offering.

CleoJo69

Rocking rough & stuff with my afro puffs
Reaction score
Reactions
58,864 1,394 71
Alleybux
It’s like this in every field in Atlanta. Still can’t get a corporate job here. Got my PMP certification and everything. Right now I work in manufacturing company as a Supply Chain Analyst and I hate it. Tried the network thing here in Atlanta and it so fake and it’s bµllsh!t. The people here in these jobs are horrible. With my education and skill set from up north, I can run circles around them.
And this is why they won't hire you. I was also told to dumb down my resume.

michele6608

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,978 1,813 876
Alleybux
I eventually did but I couldn't use it. I didn't feel right. Take me as I am or not at all.
At this point I don’t know what to do I can’t afford to stay here in NYC and Georgia is out of my reach. I don’t want to move anywhere else.

houston10

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,757 186 67
Alleybux
At this point I don’t know what to do I can’t afford to stay here in NYC and Georgia is out of my reach. I don’t want to move anywhere else.

Have you tried looking in NC Charlotte or Raleigh?
Houston? The medical field is huge in Houston and the pay is good.

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
That's another reason why I left Atlanta. Atlanta's corporate work environment and climate is too cut throat for me. Those jobs are reserved for certain people aka the "Good ole boy network". I'm a native and the only corporate job that I could get there was through Delta and that was after many years of trying and recommendations. Atlanta is simply too competitive. Its a city for entrepreneurs. If you don't want to do that then you're probably better off in Houston.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,173 7,433 1,115
Alleybux
The problem with dumbing down your resume is that you get less money. Georgia is getting to expensive to live for what they’re offering.

True but the longer you remain unemployed in GA then you odds of getting a job becomes more bleak. So the idea is it will make you look top selection for those jobs in their field. Just because you get it that job does not mean you have to stay there. lol

If currently employed in another state that might be the only option you have to get your foot in at a company in GA depending on the field a quickly or continue searching on hopes something will stick. Most of these GA companies underpay and are not paying out top dollars even for decent fields .

Pretty much your options in GA become 1.) Unemployment 2.) Underemployed with a possibility of a paycut in your current field path 3. ) Pickup odd ball employment jobs outside your field

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,173 7,433 1,115
Alleybux

You trying to do Project Management ? If so have you gotten on Meetup groups designed specifically for this. Also alot of those roles across the US are hiring remote. So I would start hunting outside of ATL for remote roles for Junior PMs

You dont have to network with anybody if so. Like every last one of the jobs there I had applied to down there was online through those company website portals for GA location. I didnt know anybody even in ATL .

I have learned in ATL do not put your address on your resumes even if you live in ATL nor put the city states on old job roles if you are out of state( Just only Job title and description) -- they will discriminate against you based on these ( I like to call it internal biases) and yes dumb down your resume for jobs if you are not getting in hits in your chosen field.

These are things I learned over the yrs

Example 1 : Change job titles if You list manager or SR level in your title and that position does not ask for that --- Take it off

Example 2: If that position in GA ask for 1 degree and you got 2-3 other degrees ( Take them off and only put the 1 that closely apply . If they asking for a BS but you got a BS and MS --- only list the BS degree you have ) Do not discuss any additional education or your plans on education when going into these interviews with these people while you trying to get your foot in the door in GA

I actually had a situation where this spoke that I thought I might be interested in getting my masters and I think the Interviewer got intimated by that for some reason and this was at a hospital for IT dept. smh
Cause the look on that interviewers face told me all I needed to know when I said that.

Example 3: Do not fill in any of those race options forms online --- Choose decline to answer

There is more but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now

michele6608

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,978 1,813 876
Alleybux
May I ask why you're not interested or at least curious to live anywhere except for NYC or Atlanta?
I’m from NYC that’s where I live now and Georgia is cheaper and I notice it has a lot of successful Black people. But I’m starting to doubt it unless they’re entrepreneurs.

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,180 10,639 3,127
Alleybux
I’m from NYC that’s where I live now and Georgia is cheaper and I notice it has a lot of successful Black people. But I’m starting to doubt it unless they’re entrepreneurs.
But nyc and Atl are not the only places with successful black people. They can be found in DC, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, etc

Venetta416

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
66,839 2,619 707
Alleybux
You’re literally hurting yourself. ATL is all smoke and mirrors. Idk why you’re hell bent on moving to ATL when there are so many places you could easily land a job with your qualifications that would pay you very well and are in low cost living areas.

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,679 8,626 481
Alleybux
You trying to do Project Management ? If so have you gotten on Meetup groups designed specifically for this. Also alot of those roles across the US are hiring remote. So I would start hunting outside of ATL for remote roles for Junior PMs

You dont have to network with anybody if so. Like every last one of the jobs there I had applied to down there was online through those company website portals for GA location. I didnt know anybody even in ATL .

I have learned in ATL do not put your address on your resumes even if you live in ATL nor put the city states on old job roles if you are out of state( Just only Job title and description) -- they will discriminate against you based on these ( I like to call it internal biases) and yes dumb down your resume for jobs if you are not getting in hits in your chosen field.

These are things I learned over the yrs

Example 1 : Change job titles if You list manager or SR level in your title and that position does not ask for that --- Take it off

Example 2: If that position in GA ask for 1 degree and you got 2-3 other degrees ( Take them off and only put the 1 that closely apply . If they asking for a BS but you got a BS and MS --- only list the BS degree you have ) Do not discuss any additional education or your plans on education when going into these interviews with these people while you trying to get your foot in the door in GA

I actually had a situation where this spoke that I thought I might be interested in getting my masters and I think the Interviewer got intimated by that for some reason and this was at a hospital for IT dept. smh
Cause the look on that interviewers face told me all I needed to know when I said that.

Example 3: Do not fill in any of those race options forms online --- Choose decline to answer

There is more but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now
Yes trying to do project management and I just finished doing my resume over. You made some excellent points and trust me I was always careful about what said during job interviews. The only thing I didn’t do was change my job titles.

Last edited:

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,679 8,626 481
Alleybux
No those areas are not on my radar. I think I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and stay here in NYC.
Stay in NYC. I regret leaving because the people here don’t value or understand anyone with more experience and education than them. I refuse to dumb myself down for any job.

michele6608

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,978 1,813 876
Alleybux
Stay in NYC. I regret leaving because the people here don’t value or understand anyone with more experience and education than them. I refuse to dumb myself down for any job.
I’m thinking that also because I’m not going to be paid what I’m worth anywhere.

michele6608

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,978 1,813 876
Alleybux
I gave up my apartment and now the cost of living is to high in NYC. But I have to do something because my career is suffering and going nowhere here in Atlanta.
It seems like Atlanta doesn’t want you to succeed. It’s like a club that won’t accept new members . It’s so frustrating knowing you have the qualifications and skills to perform the job.

sept02

<span style="font-style:italic; text-decoration:un
Reaction score
Reactions
27,185 1,076 11,803
Alleybux
Chile puleeze you think you're better and more qualified because you're from the north .. it's all in your post and yeah it is about who you know not what you know which is unfortunate but don't go somewhere thinking you better especially when the home turf has the upper hand.. that's the fastest way of getting shut down and shut out

sept02

<span style="font-style:italic; text-decoration:un
Reaction score
Reactions
27,185 1,076 11,803
Alleybux
Got to know someone to get in to the big companies.. or apart of a fraternity or seriority mutual friends. I'm not saying the traditional way doesn't work but you would have to get your foot in the door then move up.. I know it's crazy.