Quantcast

How to effectively prepare for a "higher-up" job interview

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
I have my first job interview for a higher position than I've ever had before! I am on the short list. This is another level than I'm used to. I am so grateful but know that the stakes are much higher. and..I'm kind of lost. This is all kind of new to me.

The interview is a two-part: a written assessment that will be sent to me. I have a few days to complete and send it back to them. and if I pass, a virtual interview.

How can I effectively prepare for a written assessment and virtual interview? any advice or tips? I already know that I'll write a thank you e-mail after the interview.

How do I prepare for a written assessment? Can I even prepare for a written assessment?

Last edited:

aria90

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
47,495 1,002 321
Alleybux
Congrats! Hard to say without knowing the job or the level we are talking about but in general the higher up you go, the more you are expected to be a subject matter expert with real insight in your industry. Thought leadership becomes more important.

Do what you can to show that you are an invaluable strategic partner. Show you know more than the requirements of the specific job but also the whole landscape, where the company sits in comparison to competitors and what you can contribute to take things to the next level.

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Congrats! Hard to say without knowing the job or the level we are talking about but in general the higher up you go, the more you are expected to be a subject matter expert with real insight in your industry. Thought leadership becomes more important.

Do what you can to show that you are an invaluable strategic partner. Show you know more than the requirements of the specific job but also the whole landscape, where the company sits in comparison to competitors and what you can contribute to take things to the next level.

ooh, thank you so much. i'm going to study your post and make notes! Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I feel a little over my head.

policy position (government).

Last edited:

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
I know I'm over-thinking this but can I PM or post e-mail response to the written assessment here for review before I send it? Someone can tell me what they think? I'll leave out personal details

I hear messages. email responses, and communication is everything in securing jobs lol. oh my god, am i over thinking this but this job can really help my family.

cherrypop

i love hot sauce
Reaction score
Reactions
50,787 1,736 518
Alleybux
try to remember 3 relevant key facts for the position you are applying for. something like 'i read that this department is responsible for overseeing 150 employees' or 'i understand that you are looking for someone with experience using excel trackers for managing 20 clients in the energy industry'. use what you can find on their website. you need to get to a point where you can talk about this job/company/position for 15 minutes comfortably at least

another thing is try to let your personality shine. i said something in an interview ages ago about how i used the company's products regularly but not the apple scented one because i hate apples. this one dumb comment made me stand out, they remembered this when they called me for a 2nd interview. OP is this a microsoft teams interview?

TheSauce

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,514 89 29
Alleybux
Take a deep breath ;)

You've put in an application, based on your knowledge and experience, and been given an interview based on that.

Use your knowledge and experience to respond to the task and any questions. And use any appropriate resources and tools that you are permitted to use - because that is what you would do in the actual job. And be confident in owning that - no one is going to expect you to know everything, especially moving into a higher level role.

You need to demonstrate that you have the skills to learn, the skills to complete tasks, the skills to research, analyse data, present findings.

Go back and look at the job description and the person specification: That will tell you what skills they are looking for and your response to the written task should demonstrate these.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CuteButtocks

Chileeeeee
Reaction score
Reactions
54,498 1,395 381
Alleybux
Chile I have one tomorrow too, and it’s a senior role in finance that I’m not quite qualified for. I’m a nervous wreck!
Just going through my interview prep notes and luckily one of my friends is helping me prepare. He’s very smart and articulate and quite knowledgeable in stuff like this and he’s been immensely helpful! Good luck, OP!

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Take a deep breath ;)

You've put in an application, based on your knowledge and experience, and been given an interview based on that.

Use your knowledge and experience to respond to the task and any questions. And use any appropriate resources and tools that you are permitted to use - because that is what you would do in the actual job. And be confident in owning that - no one is going to expect you to know everything, especially moving into a higher level roll.

You need to demonstrate that you have the skills to learn, the skills to complete tasks, the skills to research, analyse data, present findings.

Go back and look at the job description and the person specification: That will tell you what skills they are looking for and your response to the written task should demonstrate these.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I'm going to study your response and write notes based on it! I'm reviewing the job description now and going over it with a fine tooth comb haha

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Chile I have one tomorrow too, and it’s a senior role in finance. I’m a nervous wreck!
Just going through my interview prep notes and luckily one of my friends is helping me prepare. He’s very smart and articulate and quite knowledgeable in stuff like this and he’s been immensely helpful! Good luck, OP!

Congratulations! I hope it goes well for you! Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to effectively creative interview prep notes. I don't know anyone who can help me in-person with something like this but that's lucky that you've got someone that has your back! In the future, I hope I can link up with people that are knowledgeable about moving up in the career world. It's definitely important for times like these!

TheSauce

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,514 89 29
Alleybux
Is this e-mail response ok?

Dear

Thank you for your consideration and the invitation to interview for [Position] at [Company]. I am available to complete the written assessment starting [date]. I look forward to completing the assessment and meeting with you [2nd half of interview?]
Please let me know if I can provide any additional information prior to [...]

Sincerely,

Is there something I should say? add? It's weird because there's part 1 (written assessment), you complete it, and then if you pass, maybe you get a part 2 interview -- do I mention the possible virtual interview?

That looks fine.

With business emails, it's always best to keep it short & sweet - it saves peoples' time and you have less chances to make an error :)

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,517 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
I don't know yet. It hasn't been sent, I have to send an email to confirm for it. I don't know what the written assessment is about or what it entails.

Good luck. You have years of experience already and you are a front runner so you are qualified. You just have to put your experience on paper and I know you can do that. Get that bag!

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
try to remember 3 relevant key facts for the position you are applying for. something like 'i read that this department is responsible for overseeing 150 employees' or 'i understand that you are looking for someone with experience using excel trackers for managing 20 clients in the energy industry'. use what you can find on their website. you need to get to a point where you can talk about this job/company/position for 15 minutes comfortably at least

another thing is try to let your personality shine. i said something in an interview ages ago about how i used the company's products regularly but not the apple scented one because i hate apples. this one dumb comment made me stand out, they remembered this when they called me for a 2nd interview. OP is this a microsoft teams interview?

I'm going to do this right now, create 3 relevant key facts for the position -- I'm really nervous because interviews from what I've done so far have been really short notice lol. I wish they gave more time to prepare for it and learn more about the position, company, organization etc. it's all be so fast -- like one to two days to prepare. lol

I was nervous about wearing my eyeglasses which are a bit funky but now i'm wondering if they show my personality. lol

This is a government-related position. I'm from Canada.

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
That looks fine.

With business emails, it's always best to keep it short & sweet - it saves peoples' time and you have less chances to make an error :)

ooh, thank you. I was nervous about it! I was wondering if i should even bring up the virtual interview or if it's weird and presumptuous i would even get one lmao

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Good luck. You have years of experience already and you are a front runner so you are qualified. You just have to put your experience on paper and I know you can do that. Get that bag!

Thank you! Thank you! I don't have a ton of experience with interviews! Especially now that they're no longer in person. I'm much more comfortable with in-person interviews!

I can't pick up as much as in-person on their response to me, how they feel, i can't really see them. I hate phone/virtual interviews. I'm much more nervous!

Noladebby

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reaction score
Reactions
76,869 2,253 1,262
Alleybux
Don't be so nervous OP. For your virtual interview make sure you're in a quiet place with no noise and no disturbances. If the interviewers will be able to see your room, make sure it's clean and nothing distracting in the background. Dress professionally but be comfortable. I always wear my pajama bottoms and slippers because that's when I'm the most comfortable. LOL

Log in 5 minutes before the start time to make sure you can get in and there are no technical issues.

Smile throughout the interview

Don't be afraid to take a little time to answer difficult questions. Nothing wrong with a little silence as long as it doesn't become awkward.

Have a list of questions to ask them about the position, company, etc.

Take notes but maintain eye contact...nod your head occasionally.

LISTEN- don't be so nervous that you miss important info about the job or ask a question that has already been answered.

Good luck!!

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Don't be so nervous OP. For your virtual interview make sure you're in a quiet place with no noise and no disturbances. If the interviewers will be able to see your room, make sure it's clean and nothing distracting in the background. Dress professionally but be comfortable. I always wear my pajama bottoms and slippers because that's when I'm the most comfortable. LOL

Log in 5 minutes before the start time to make sure you can get in and there are no technical issues.

Smile throughout the interview

Don't be afraid to take a little time to answer difficult questions. Nothing wrong with a little silence as long as it doesn't become awkward.

Have a list of questions to ask them about the position, company, etc.

Take notes but maintain eye contact...nod your head occasionally.

LISTEN- don't be so nervous that you miss important info about the job or ask a question that has already been answered.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much for these tips! I hope I make it to the virtual interview! I put my computer up facing against a wall on a desk so only a plain wall can be seen behind me. I did a phone interview last month and I dressed up all the way and I was really uncomfortable, so I'll be sure to take comfort into the equation.

I take notes in in-person interviews but it never occurred to me to also implement that during a virtual interview. ty! I'm going to print out like a handmade guide or something to follow along to for tougher questions -- but i'm going to try to learn it so I'm not reading off of it.

Thank you!!

aria90

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
47,495 1,002 321
Alleybux
ooh, thank you so much. i'm going to study your post and make notes! Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I feel a little over my head.

It's a senior-level policy position (government).
At this point, the best advice I can give you is to stop thinking you're in over your head because you're not. If you were selected to interview for the role you have skills to do the job (unless you lied on your resume). They didn't pick up your resume thinking "Oh maybe someday they could do this job. Let's interview this person for fun and waste everyone's time!" You were chosen because you're qualified. Good luck!

boomboom12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
196,862 4,428 1,789
Alleybux
Thank you so much for these tips! I hope I make it to the virtual interview! I put my computer up facing against a wall on a desk so only a plain wall can be seen behind me. I did a phone interview last month and I dressed up all the way and I was really uncomfortable, so I'll be sure to take comfort into the equation.

I take notes in in-person interviews but it never occurred to me to also implement that during a virtual interview. ty! I'm going to print out like a handmade guide or something to follow along to for tougher questions -- but i'm going to try to learn it so I'm not reading off of it.

Thank you!!

I am going to second what that font said. They gave you some great advice.

1. Take notes, but ASK if you can take notes first! It definitely does look good
2. I actually will put some bullet talking points on my note pad as well, since were virtual. In case my brain goes blank I can quickly glance down.

3. What story are you trying to tell? When you are interviewing you are essentially selling yourself. Find three top things that you are great at, that you bring to the workplace.

Sometimes people who interview will try to answer how they THINK the interviewer wants them to answer—and it makes there responses a bit scattered. The interviewer is just trying to get an authentic assessment of YOU.

For example if you are creative, organized and detailed—that is the story you’re trying to tell. Therefore you will find different ways to answer their questions, while tying back to the core of what you will bring to the org.

At the end of the day there will be other candidates who also answer questions well. You have to sell yourself. I ALWAYS sell a focused/concise idea who I am/what I am bringing to the table.

LolaGBunniD

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
968 8 6
Alleybux
The key to knocking out a written assessment is to envision you are in the job and show how you would lead in that position and generate positive results in that position. You will also want to differentiate yourself from your competition. I once wrote up and distributed to my future bosses an itinerary of what I would accomplish in my first month and I gave that to them before my verbal final interview.

IssaStallion

Hottie
Reaction score
Reactions
93,390 3,171 908
Alleybux
Know their policies and stakeholders. Mission statement and goals and vision of the organization.

they want to know what you think about polices that need revision so have that down.

good luck!

MusiKCityK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,639 1,145 558
Alleybux
Honestly Google, there should be industry forums that give insight on what to expect based on the role, and/or company. One of the things I use reddit for.

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,598 7,250 820
Alleybux
I have my first job interview for a higher position than I've ever had before! I am on the short list. This is another level than I'm used to. I am so grateful but know that the stakes are much higher. and..I'm kind of lost. This is all kind of new to me.

The interview is a two-part: a written assessment that will be sent to me. I have a few days to complete and send it back to them. and if I pass, a virtual interview.

How can I effectively prepare for a written assessment and virtual interview? any advice or tips? I already know that I'll write a thank you e-mail after the interview.

How do I prepare for a written assessment? Can I even prepare for a written assessment?
Honestly, OP. What helped me feel comfortable in interviewing a job where I felt like I was "punching above my weight" is thinking about the millions of literal idiots who do much much worse to get jobs that they don't even qualify for ... and they're making six figures because of it.

You good, sis! Never feel bad for trying to elevate yourself. Don't let that imposter syndrome get to you. If they are interviewing you, that means they saw a lot of potential. You can prepare for the written assessment when you get the assignment -- you will have a few days to complete it, so you're good.

stillagoodgirl

Abstinence makes his heart grow fonder.
Reaction score
Reactions
11,316 298 79
Alleybux
Did you get the interview via a recommendation? If so ask them for tips or if they can connect you to the previous person in the position to give you tips.

You can try reaching out to current employees on LinkedIn but I personally wouldn't incase they're a hater. Some people reach out to former employees as well but I wonder if they'll actually help. I did that once and never heard back.

Research the company and specific department if possible. If they had any awards or history making accomplishments mention that. Do your best and then relax. If it's in GOD's will you'll make it to the next round. I used to be stressed and taking job interview outcomes way too personal but not anymore.

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Thank you all so much for your advice!! I'm currently right now buckling down and doing the written assessment. It's due in a few days! It's a lot more comprehensive than I thought it would be!

I will be back to reply and thank everyone who has responded and for all your advice. I got to finish this written assessment LOL. Thank you!!

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
I hope when I figure this all out, i can pay it forward and help others.

Last edited:

Mypreciousss

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
104,692 4,099 2,628
Alleybux
Have a few questions prepared that show your interest in the company. Be able to explain why you’re the best candidate, any particular situation that you dealt with in prior positions that would be valuable for this role and what your top 3 strengths are as well as anything that you on which could improve. Don’t speak over the interviewer and be careful about sharing confidential information about your prior companies - I’m an executive for a private equity firm and have interviews a number of fold for higher status/paid roles

CastorOil

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,234 90 90
Alleybux
I hope when I figure this all out, i can pay it forward and help others.
Please do, Im in the middle of interviewing for a big government and policy job in DC and Im on my 6th round. Its been a long process and Im running out of different ways to describe myself and experiences.

Riot Act

Russian Bot
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,786 295 54
Alleybux
If I were you I’d nix the thank you email.

IMHO, you should have a very simple, professional thank you card ready and stamped. Fill it in and hightail it to the USPS.

Last edited:

Teja

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,680 90 25
Alleybux
I recently got hired on at an executive level. The process took 6 weeks and I interviewed with 8 different people throughout that time frame .

I have zero experience in this field ! One person was honest about their reservations in hiring me due to the industry being completely new to me ! I won them over by stating that we are all overcoming new objections due to the pandemic, essentially all employees are learning to do their jobs differently. I stated that I won’t have excuses to give on why things can’t get it done because I have nothing to compare it to and I’ll just do it !
This specific interaction got me my offer , highlight skills such as adaptability, tenacity and perseverance! It goes a long way especially now!