How to stay focused and untempted during dieting? PCOS Edition

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,490 1,913 432
Alleybux
Hey you guys!

So I recently got diagnosed with PCOS (in January) and have been wanting to make it my goal to lose 25 - 30 pounds. So far, I've been regularly going to the gym about 4 times a week since February and actually enjoy going. I've seen some progress ( some muscle, not out of breath, gaining endurance when running), however I feel like my biggest issue is maintaining my diet. My issue is the dreaded carbs. I usually don't like sugary things ( soda, candy, etc.) but bad cards always get to me. I'm trying to give myself some slack because grad school is kind of stressing me out along with my close friend passing away a couple weeks ago; so I've been bouncing back and forth from binging to eating healthy and back. Any tips or advice you guys can give me? Even yummy recipes? I'm down to cook anything.

Peachesca

Are you (づ ◕‿◕ )づ lost babygirl?
Reaction score
Reactions
62,663 1,547 948
Alleybux
Carbs aren't bad, it's simple, refined carbs that are terrible for us PCOS girls. You want complex, unrefined carbs.

Whole grain bread > White bread
same goes for pasta.
Same goes for rice (brown over white)
Anything made with white flour.
Added sugar.

I eat a lot of carbs in terms of fruits, veggies and whole grains and I am still managing to lose weight. I like french toast and pancakes, I make them with whole wheat bread. I use a syrup with no sugar.

Oatmeal is mostly all carbs and very high in carbs, yet it helps with weight loss and blood sugar stabilization. It's whole grain. I sweetened it with monkfruit and fresh fruit.

Whole wheat bagels with vegan butter or vegan cream cheese is my jam.

Don't demonize carbs and cut them out of your diet completely, it's the type that matters. With PCOS, i saw the most improvement from cutting sugar and dairy, not carbs.

Didimimi

President of the LSA History Art and Culture Club
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
131,285 7,861 2,321
Alleybux
Make meals you enjoy. If you’re cooking food you do not like you’ll fall off the wagon. I like my food nicely seasoned, so even im making green beans I’ll sautée them in black peppers and garlic for example.
Brown rice pasta is delicious to me, better than the regular white pasta. Make very simple pasta dishes with just tomatoes and garlic, well seasoned shrimps. Sometimes I do it with just mushrooms.

pan salmon with the same ingredients, add spinach too. Instead of whites potatoes or rice I’ll sub for green beans, greens peas sautée with veggies (regular assorted frozen packs)

Look up older recipes, example traditional regular country recipes. Look at what they ate as sides. Could be from other countries as well. I found that there are more carb-less side options. It’s always cooked in with some vegetables too.

Sex Momma

Kiss My Grits
Reaction score
Reactions
22,723 1,037 1,107
Alleybux
Hey you guys!

So I recently got diagnosed with PCOS (in January) and have been wanting to make it my goal to lose 25 - 30 pounds. So far, I've been regularly going to the gym about 4 times a week since February and actually enjoy going. I've seen some progress ( some muscle, not out of breath, gaining endurance when running), however I feel like my biggest issue is maintaining my diet. My issue is the dreaded carbs. I usually don't like sugary things ( soda, candy, etc.) but bad cards always get to me. I'm trying to give myself some slack because grad school is kind of stressing me out along with my close friend passing away a couple weeks ago; so I've been bouncing back and forth from binging to eating healthy and back. Any tips or advice you guys can give me? Even yummy recipes? I'm down to cook anything.
Diets don’t work if you suffer from PCOS. If you are on the slight spectrum you have a chance of maintaining some weight loss with exercise and diet. Otherwise, your best bet for weightloss is to figure out what type of PCOS you suffer from and try to figure out the medication needed to control your type.

If you are craving carbs there is a reason. Don’t resist just adjust; load whatever carb dish you are eating with lots of veggies....maybe substitute whole-wheat, gluten-free, or veggie style noodles instead of the white starchy ones. Starch is a MASSIVE problem with PCOS more so than sugars.

Last edited:

Lotusmoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,241 37 5
Alleybux
I second oatmeal- you can also buy oatmeal flour and use it in baking. Although my personal preference is cauliflower flour. Recipes like cloud bread (pan cooked, buy a jar of roasted minced garlic, and mix a little in with fresh herbs!) and banana bread made with cauliflower flour and mashed bananas, maple syrup nuts and spices, really help me keep things clean. Minnesota wild rice is actually a seed, and comparatively low carb/high protein. Great in soups, and casseroles, has more texture than white or brown rice. I also really like barley in soup, and in salads.

For me the real find was realizing that if I go high protein and low fat meat and dairy, I feel much, MUCH better. I stay full, I hydrate, I have good energy. I use avocado now instead of butter, just slice and spread on cloud bread when I crave fat. Also, the horrible fats in salad dressing were causing me problems, but avocado, fat free milk, whisk until smooth, and fold in a little blue cheese gives a very tasty, very filling, salad dressing.

Some people don't do well with high protein, but I do. Be sure to check with your doctor about warning signs if you decide to go high protein. In trying things, I actually found out that for my body, most fats make me feel ill. I tolerate avocado, whole eggs, and cheese in moderation. But full fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, vegetable oils, and fatty meats were what was causing both mood swings, and nausea/dizziness for me. I had no idea that was even possible! Switching to low/no fat (sometimes low fat is healthier than no fat, as fewer additives) made a huge difference. Overall, the reduction in fat, and the reduction in carbs has meant that weight has come off pretty painlessly. It's slow, but I live in the very cold part of the US (it's SNOWING right now!) and so hoping to be able to get outdoors soonish. I'm high risk for other health issues, so haven't felt able to head to a gym in the past year.

Hope this helps- and best of luck!

D E L E T E

DELETE ACCOUNT
Reaction score
Reactions
86,235 6,032 1,872
Alleybux
The best deterrent to binge eat for me is doing cardio that day.

I always end up thinking "If I eat this pizza and cake right now that's like 900 calories and I might as well have not run at all."

I always end up putting the food down so I don't have suffered for nothing.

I hate cardio.

Balloo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
119,731 3,539 1,102
Alleybux
Have you ever tried tracking calories on an app?

I love carbs too and that's the only thing that works for me because it forces me to see the real numbers of what I'm eating. You see how much calories a baked treat is compared to a big quantity of fruits and vegetables.

From there, you are pushed to choose healthier options. Find better carb options that you enjoy, like wraps, couscous, quinoa, etc. Or enjoy a good piece of bakery bread next to a loaded salad...still low calorie and very healthy. Frozen Cauliflower crust pizza to replace regular pizza is another thing I do.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,547 33,084 27,393
Alleybux
I am in the same boat and was doing Keto but I found it wasn't working for me. I know incorporate carbs but not a lot. I eat good carbs a lot but in portions. These are fruits, veggies, and oatmeal

WigsbyTyler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,575 2,082 844
Alleybux
I don't know about PCOS but in terms of weight loss: planning meals ahead & using a food diary or calorie counter. I find also keeping busy helps me.

Best of luck OP!

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,490 1,913 432
Alleybux
Thanks for the advice y’all! I’ve been slacking on counting my calories but I’m starting right up today!