Quantcast

HTGAWM 5B preview

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
222,046 5,786 517
Alleybux
TV Guide spoke to showrunner Pete Nowalk about where those storylines are headed and why we shouldn't take any of these characters or their apparent "revelations" at face value in the back half of Season 5.

tumblr_ncu75jpdjE1r00543o8_r2_250.gif

:rolleyes2
We left off on a pretty huge cliffhanger that revealed that Gabriel is Sam's son. Where do we pick up when the show returns?

Pete Nowalk: We're picking up the same night as the wedding. We're not skipping over any time because there are too many juicy cliffhangers to pick right up with. Annalise is still with Gabriel in the apartment, and we're going to do an awesome storyline between the two of them where we get a lot of answers and, within that, we're going to be flashing back and seeing Sam again and understanding when he knew — and if he knew — about Gabriel and how that happened. ... It's a very emotional episode, especially these flashbacks with Sam and Annalise as we discover did Sam know about Gabriel, what was his relationship with him, what was his relationship with Vivian. All of that will come out. ... We're giving the audience a lot of answers.
Rj03TlN.gif

Is one of those answers going to be how much Gabriel knows about Sam and what happened to him in Season 1?
Nowalk: Yes. We're going to get a lot more from Gabriel. He's been sort of this mystery box for us all season, so we're going to actually hear from his mouth why he's there, what he wants. Of course, the question is, is that to be trusted? If I heard my father had been killed and the circumstances were very suspicious, I would want to find out the truth, and I would do and say whatever I needed to get it. ... One thing that's really a big deal when we come back is, we're going to find out who Frank (Charlie Weber) was talking to on the phone throughout the season. Who also knew about Gabriel? We're going to find that out in this first episode back, and of course, there's going to be a big fallout from that.
r3mJf.gif

What can you tease about how the Keating 4 will react to the news that he's Sam's son?
Nowalk: They are going to be panicked. Obviously they always probably knew it would happen, but they were trying to just get married and have a baby and fall in love. They were just in complete denial that the Sam murder was buried forever. Gabriel being there obviously triggers all of that.

*And off course he relates his answer back to Connor and Oliver

Do you feel like this brings us back to Season 1 in a way? Revisiting their original murder and bringing those stakes back?
Nowalk: Definitely. As the show's in its fifth season, and I'm getting closer and closer to the end — I don't know when that is :laugh2 — everything has to come back full circle. All of these murders really started with Sam and Lila, and we're just going to be showing how when that first domino fell, yes we've been watching all the other dominos fall, but it's all going to go back to that first one. Everyone still has never been able to escape that original sin.

Gabriel so far has seemed like a really good, moral guy. Is that his true face or are we going to see a new side of him?
Nowalk: I think much of him really believes in what he said, like wanting to defend the unfairly incarcerated, wanting to do good for the world; in many ways, he's the most pure character on our show right now because he just wants to know the truth and he wants justice. Within that, he's complicated. His motives are complicated. We're going to start to wonder about who his mother is and what his relationship is with his mother. And of course, we're going to eventually really, really, really want to meet her. Right now, he's still a threat for our characters even though they feel the way you do; they like him or they have liked him until now.

Speaking of Gabriel's mother, how much can you tell us about her and his relationship with her?
Nowalk: He's mentioned that she's a little bit of a mess. He's mentioned certain addiction problems that she's had in his college essay. Again though, everything that's said on the show — is it true? Is it not? I don't want to say too much because we're going to find out more about her in bits and pieces even starting in the first episode back.

Poor Michaela (Aja Naomi King) has had such bad luck with men. Is her flirtation with Gabriel genuine on his side or is it just about to implode?
Nowalk: You're asking exactly what she's asking. I think she hates herself for even making out and liking another guy who turns out to be a snake. So that always feels like her predicament, which she has to look into. Their relationship isn't over. It's really way more complicated now. It's very angsty, and so we're going to see a lot more of them. They're actually going to come together, I don't think necessarily in a nice way, but they're going to come together around a common bond that they both have through the rest of the season.

:rolleyes2

Shifting gears to Ron's murder, how quickly will that storyline take the spotlight and how worried should we be for Nate and Bonnie?
Nowalk: It's going to be front and center. The investigation into Ron's murder is going to be front and center for the rest of the season. That involves two things. Obviously, he's a D.A. in a huge city office, so the FBI is going to be involved. So getting away with this is not going to be easy. The thing that's different about this one is that Nate is front and center and he has experience. This is what he does. He's an ex-cop. He's an investigator. We're going to see how Nate, specifically, gets away with murder. Then the other part of that is the question of whether Miller was actually guilty or not. Obviously right now Bonnie and Nate think that and he looks very guilty, but as the season goes there might be some questions about his guilt.

:nah

What kind of emotional ramification will Bonnie be dealing with after helping to kill this guy that she was sort of falling in love with?
Nowalk: It's going to be horrible for Bonnie... It's going to be really rough. Poor Liza Weil, it's not like she had an easy beginning of the season performing all this stuff, and the back half doesn't get any easier. Obviously, there's only so much one person can handle, so we're going to see her struggling.
:frown :mad: I don't know why I thought Pete would let Bonnie be happy for more than 5 minutes.

He seemed pretty adamant that he had nothing to do with the murder of Nate's father.
Nowalk: Right. Which is what you would say if you were innocent but also you'd say if you were guilty.

How will Connor and Oliver react to the fact that someone got murdered at their wedding?
Nowalk: It's not good. They really had the perfect wedding to me. I don't like weddings and I was like, "I would like that one for myself." Now it's ruined, which is kind of what happens to everything in their life. I think that causes some real angst for the two of them and also worry because Miller was killed at their wedding. Does that mean they're going to be involved? Is their wedding going to be investigated? Are their parents going to find out about this? Besides it ruining a good memory, it also creates a lot of havoc for them.
:rolleyes2 Poor them

Annalise has also fallen off the wagon again, but is she going to be able to turn that around and get sober when there's so much craziness going on?
Nowalk: She's constantly trying to get sober but now would probably not be the easiest time for her to do that. That involves what? Focusing on yourself, making sure your life is balanced and healthy? And she's constantly just dealt one mess after the other. She's going to continue to struggle with that, and that's what, as writers, we're really interested in. People get sober and they relapse and this is a life-long struggle for her. That's what interesting to us about it.
giphy.webp

Nothing about the class action cases! Her story line is going revolve around her being a drunk...
How to Get Away with Murder Is About to Answer All Your Gabriel Maddox Questions | TV Guide

Pete supposedly said this an another interview but I could find no reference for it so I'm taking it with a grain a salt but I can only think of one person. What friends does Annalise have let alone long term ones?

"and I'll also tell you that one of Annalise's long-time friends also makes a return."
tumblr_nxklx9AfPp1ri23yqo6_250.gif

Last edited:

astrogalaxy

ooh y’all lyin’ up in here
Reaction score
Reactions
31,165 704 349
Alleybux
I couldn't even read the whole thing. What i did read sounded like b.s.

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
Barely anything about Annalise. The first part she's really a by stander in the Sam/Gabe backstory in the last one is the same old recycled storyline they did in 4 out of 5 seasons.

The part about Gabe's mother being an addict - or not sounds as if someone yelled at him that introducing a crackhead black mother may just be showing his problematic ass a little too much.

Nowalk: Definitely. As the show's in its fifth season, and I'm getting closer and closer to the end — I don't know when that is :laugh2 — everything has to come back full circle. All of these murders really started with Sam and Lila, and we're just going to be showing how when that first domino fell, yes we've been watching all the other dominos fall, but it's all going to go back to that first one. Everyone still has never been able to escape that original sin.
THAT AIN'T THE ORIGINAL SIN, YA fµck!ng MORON!!!

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
Pete supposedly said this an another interview but I could find no reference for it so I'm taking it with a grain a salt but I can only think of one person. What friends does Annalise have let alone long term ones?

tumblr_nxklx9AfPp1ri23yqo6_250.gif
You saw that on SpoilerTV? It's not from an interview, ABC made the episode available in advance for the media to hype up review.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
222,046 5,786 517
Alleybux
I couldn't even read the whole thing. What i did read sounded like b.s.

My face reading the entire thing. I was done by the time I got to Viola's nonexistent story line.
oprah_wow.gif

You saw that on SpoilerTV? It's not from an interview, ABC made the episode available in advance for the media to hype up review.
I saw it randomly posted on twitter but you are right.

The resulting flashbacks are very impressive. It's been a long time coming, but you'll understand how Gabriel fits in with everyone, and why he's done what he has done to get closer to Annalise. Laurel, Asher, Michaela, Connor and Oliver aren't left out, and share their opinions with regard to what they think happened at the wedding, and how Gabriel fits into the equation. Along with Sam, you'll see Annalise, Frank and Bonnie extensively in the flashbacks as more of their checkered past with Sam is revealed.

The performances from the cast are very good, but Verica truly leads the way. You may have seen on social media that his son features in this episode. I'll tell you it's brief, and I'll also tell you that one of Annalise's long-time friends also makes a return. Exactly who that is shall remain a mystery. John Terlesky directs only his second ever episode of HTGAWM, and does a marvellous job. The score and music choices are also remarkably good. This episode will test your memory as a viewer because much of what is touched on in the flashbacks received some attention around season 2 and 3, but despite that, if you're like me and haven't given this series any thought for a while, there's enough there to allow you to keep pace. While nothing can make up for what was a generally poor front end of this season, the back end is starting things off on the right foot which is really good to see.

They are definitely trying to hype this sh!t. I'm so sick and tired of Pete bringing this damn character back. Annalise is the main character not Sam! :no2
How To Get Away With Murder - Midseason Premiere Advance Preview: "Staggeringly Good"

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
My face reading the entire thing. I was done by the time I got to Viola's nonexistent story line.
oprah_wow.gif

I saw it randomly posted on twitter but you are right.

They are definitely trying to hype this sh!t. I'm so sick and tired of Pete bringing this damn character back. Annalise is the main character not Sam! :no2
How To Get Away With Murder - Midseason Premiere Advance Preview: "Staggeringly Good"
I will say this, they do a better job at hyping up the episode than Pete does in the ridiculously long and boring interview. However who cares about a plot centered on Sam at this point?

And interestingly he repeats that same old pattern - like with the backstory that was supposed to be about Wes and Annalise, now with Gabe and his mom and Annalise is now mainly about Sam, Frank and Bonnie. They did the exact same thing in S2/S3 culminating with a scene where Bonnie consoles Frank while Annalise fades in the background and Wes dies.