Quantcast

HTGAWM 5X05 - “It Was the Worst Day of My Life” 10-25-18

Marie Boston

Aboriginal Perfection & Clairvoyant Reader
Reaction score
Reactions
161,184 8,604 4,654
Alleybux
Anybody realize that Bonnie is a damn serial killer? How many people she kill so far?

This season she either takes out:

Nate
Laurel's Mother
Oliver or her damn sister.

Nu Lo

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
885 23 43
Alleybux
They drag the story lines but overall it was decent. Really impressed with Bonnie.

MicheleK

Code Poet
Reaction score
Reactions
46,490 947 356
Alleybux
Contrary to most, I enjoyed this case and this is what her class action in DC was based upon so I'm sure the same people who hated the emphasis put on this case,would have found a way to complain if the case was brushed over. They would accuse Pete of brushing away at Black People problems to highlight Latinas and White problems.

The closing argument with the silence was so damn powerful, Anna is still the best at her job.

I didn't like that she had to apologize to Connor.

No comment on Asher channeling Finch by going at it with Connor's mom smh... I hope his mouth never ever comes close to Michaela ever again.

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
Contrary to most, I enjoyed this case and this is what her class action in DC was based upon so I'm sure the same people who hated the emphasis put on this case,would have found a way to complain if the case was brushed over. They would accuse Pete of brushing away at Black People problems to highlight Latinas and White problems.

The closing argument with the silence was so damn powerful, Anna is still the best at her job.

I didn't like that she had to apologize to Connor.

No comment on Asher channeling Finch by going at it with Connor's mom smh... I hope his mouth never ever comes close to Michaela ever again.
I actually like every thing the case brought to the show. I really like that it makes Nate more complex as a character and i enjoy the scenes with Nate sr. I like it as a story line for Annalise.
My only issue is that they've been dragging it since last season without doing much with it. For example they could have written an evolution of the relationship between the two and explored Nate's life a little more instead of essentially re-hashing the same 2-3 scenes all the time - which i'd still take over any of the K4, Oliver and Frank scenes.
However Pete couldn't help himself and did his worst to try to make it about a very non-black character. Granted Connor isn't a white latina who messed with Frank's feelings, but still.
Out of nowhere and out of character he had him work with Annalise on the class action suite, had him b!tch for the whole crossover episode because Michaela took his place and in this episode they had the whole case revolve around Connor being but hurt over something i honestly don't even remember. All of this is only of use for Connor as a character but it's completely useless for the show's narrative more broadly, so if you're not particularly invested in him it tends to detract from the actual storyline.

MicheleK

Code Poet
Reaction score
Reactions
46,490 947 356
Alleybux
I actually like every thing the case brought to the show. I really like that it makes Nate more complex as a character and i enjoy the scenes with Nate sr. I like it as a story line for Annalise.
My only issue is that they've been dragging it since last season without doing much with it. For example they could have written an evolution of the relationship between the two and explored Nate's life a little more instead of essentially re-hashing the same 2-3 scenes all the time - which i'd still take over any of the K4, Oliver and Frank scenes.
However Pete couldn't help himself and did his worst to try to make it about a very non-black character. Granted Connor isn't a white latina who messed with Frank's feelings, but still.
Out of nowhere and out of character he had him work with Annalise on the class action suite, had him b!tch for the whole crossover episode because Michaela took his place and in this episode they had the whole case revolve around Connor being but hurt over something i honestly don't even remember. All of this is only of use for Connor as a character but it's completely useless for the show's narrative more broadly, so if you're not particularly invested in him it tends to detract from the actual storyline.
I agree with the fact that Connor was shoved down our throat for this class action and then bitched about his hurt feelings and his privileges.
I just tried not to focus on that because the reason why Connor was mad is so stupid, how can you be mad that your professor has enough consideration for you to call in a favor to let you come back as a law student after you flunked out ?

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
I agree with the fact that Connor was shoved down our throat for this class action and then bitched about his hurt feelings and his privileges.
I just tried not to focus on that because the reason why Connor was mad is so stupid, how can you be mad that your professor has enough consideration for you to call in a favor to let you come back as a law student after you flunked out ?
I think it ended up cheapening the case at the end. There's always some hickup in the cases before they ultimately win. But how they did it here and for a case with such high stakes it just felt needlessly dumb. They openly dumbed down Annalise, explained it as a consequence of her feelings for Nate - which makes no sense whatsoever. All exclusively to elevate Connor.
Without Connor's struggle for the sake of struggling it could have been a much better conclusion of the story line because it would have to focus on Annalise's skills more instead of pushing her to the side.

I'm distracted by these things because Pete doesn't really have the skills to make whatever his agendas are feel organic within the narrative. It's like watching the strings being pulled instead of a story.

astrogalaxy

ooh y’all lyin’ up in here
Reaction score
Reactions
31,165 704 349
Alleybux
Lovin annaliese's condo! Prolly a set redo of scandal.
Yeah and I hope Asher's visit was a one time thing. I like the kids not being at her house all the time like they were before.

Now if only we can get Tegan to show up...

Moonthilda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,983 793 161
Alleybux
The dialogue made it obvious that Michaela and Asher weren't hooking up but some are so eager to drag her. Jesus -_-

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,922 3,011 1,162
Alleybux
I think it ended up cheapening the case at the end. There's always some hickup in the cases before they ultimately win. But how they did it here and for a case with such high stakes it just felt needlessly dumb. They openly dumbed down Annalise, explained it as a consequence of her feelings for Nate - which makes no sense whatsoever. All exclusively to elevate Connor.
Without Connor's struggle for the sake of struggling it could have been a much better conclusion of the story line because it would have to focus on Annalise's skills more instead of pushing her to the side.

I'm distracted by these things because Pete doesn't really have the skills to make whatever his agendas are feel organic within the narrative. It's like watching the strings being pulled instead of a story.

Connor looks to damn old to still be so emo all the time. That is the problem with this show, they are written like barely 22 year olds but all look like they are in their 30s well except for for Wes 2.0 and Michaela but you know what I mean. IF there is another season it needs to be fast forwarded with them out of law school and written more as professionals.

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,922 3,011 1,162
Alleybux

I actually wonder if Jack aka Connor was thinking about leaving the show so Pete last season tried miserably to engage Connor in a better storyline that didn't have him so miserable.

IMO Connor is the most changed character on the show. He went from a sexy devious bi-xesual thot who was BFF with Michaela to this overly angst, depressed, insecure dude that pretty much lets Oliver take over his entire life. Seriously,he took on all of Oliver's insecurities then topped it with anger. I really wish Oliver would die because he makes Connor character worst.

And I am going to hate having to see Connor be all bitchy and whiny about his mama and Asher. NOTHING interesting will come out of this storyline.

OohlalaLillian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,293 1,128 423
Alleybux
The dialogue made it obvious that Michaela and Asher weren't hooking up but some are so eager to drag her. Jesus -_-

Ha! Some fonts refuse to even engage in threads on here if they don't have cliffnotes. Do you really think they are gonna pay full attention to a tv show for an hour.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
222,012 5,786 517
Alleybux

I completely agree with you. It's like it's one step forward two steps back with Pete. Yes Annalise is back on top this season but she is still being shitted on and is making careless mistakes just to make his favs look good. Not to mention the bµllsh!t apology that she gave...
Rj03TlN.gif

Last edited:

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
I actually wonder if Jack aka Connor was thinking about leaving the show so Pete last season tried miserably to engage Connor in a better storyline that didn't have him so miserable.

IMO Connor is the most changed character on the show. He went from a sexy devious bi-xesual thot who was BFF with Michaela to this overly angst, depressed, insecure dude that pretty much lets Oliver take over his entire life. Seriously,he took on all of Oliver's insecurities then topped it with anger. I really wish Oliver would die because he makes Connor character worst.

And I am going to hate having to see Connor be all bitchy and whiny about his mama and Asher. NOTHING interesting will come out of this storyline.
I'm pretty sure Jack never wanted to leave because he doesn't have enough going on in his career outside of the show. Connor's storylines are obviously fan service combined with him being a self insert for Pete (although i suspect that's Oliver now).

The only thing that changed about Connor is that he went from being single to be in a committed relationship with Oliver which happened because people liked them together. Same reason he became BFF with Michaela, both happened at the same time too - after Sam was murdered.
He was always whiny and bitchy like Oliver was. Similarly to Jamal in Empire. Especially at the beginning all 3 were essentially the same trope - the whiny gay man. The reason i noticed this is because Conrad and Jussie are gay but don't sound like their characters.

They don't really do a good job at fleshing out the characters in this show so how their characterization and story lines are perceived is in the eye of the beholder to a very large extent. Connor is one of those characters where this is the most obvious. As i already said how one perceives his storylines around Annalise's class action suit depends exclusively on how you perceive the character. This is because ultimately those story lines are only functional to the character but do nothing for the plot (in other words Annalise does her own thing disregarding Connor's input). So it all stands on how you perceive the character. And how people (the writers included) perceive the characters in this show is often akin to one of those implicit bias tests where people are asked to assign certain traits to depictions of people with differing skin tones.

Connor can be an asshole to Annalise all he wants, but some see it as a complex dynamic because they give him the benefit of the doubt by default which btw also means they perceive him as the protagonist over her. Same how for whatever reason he's supposed to be a legal genius now. The Coliver storyline isn't very far from this either. He may have seemed a hoe but deep down he's searching for a serious commitment. All the best character traits are always assumed for him, regardless of his actions.
They may have gone to even more of an extreme with Frank - there literally is nothing he can do that prevents him to be essentially perfect.

I would argue plenty of characters changed more than Connor. Asher very obviously, Annalise, Wes very early on, even Oliver. The thing with him is that in a show like this he could have only worked in small doses. It's just that as long as he was on the periphery it may have seem as if there was more to him than it seemed.

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,922 3,011 1,162
Alleybux
I'm pretty sure Jack never wanted to leave because he doesn't have enough going on in his career outside of the show. Connor's storylines are obviously fan service combined with him being a self insert for Pete (although i suspect that's Oliver now).

The only thing that changed about Connor is that he went from being single to be in a committed relationship with Oliver which happened because people liked them together. Same reason he became BFF with Michaela, both happened at the same time too - after Sam was murdered.
He was always whiny and bitchy like Oliver was. Similarly to Jamal in Empire. Especially at the beginning all 3 were essentially the same trope - the whiny gay man. The reason i noticed this is because Conrad and Jussie are gay but don't sound like their characters.

They don't really do a good job at fleshing out the characters in this show so how their characterization and story lines are perceived is in the eye of the beholder to a very large extent. Connor is one of those characters where this is the most obvious. As i already said how one perceives his storylines around Annalise's class action suit depends exclusively on how you perceive the character. This is because ultimately those story lines are only functional to the character but do nothing for the plot (in other words Annalise does her own thing disregarding Connor's input). So it all stands on how you perceive the character. And how people (the writers included) perceive the characters in this show is often akin to one of those implicit bias tests where people are asked to assign certain traits to depictions of people with differing skin tones.

Connor can be an asshole to Annalise all he wants, but some see it as a complex dynamic because they give him the benefit of the doubt by default which btw also means they perceive him as the protagonist over her. Same how for whatever reason he's supposed to be a legal genius now. The Coliver storyline isn't very far from this either. He may have seemed a hoe but deep down he's searching for a serious commitment. All the best character traits are always assumed for him, regardless of his actions.
They may have gone to even more of an extreme with Frank - there literally is nothing he can do that prevents him to be essentially perfect.

I would argue plenty of characters changed more than Connor. Asher very obviously, Annalise, Wes very early on, even Oliver. The thing with him is that in a show like this he could have only worked in small doses. It's just that as long as he was on the periphery it may have seem as if there was more to him than it seemed.

I definitely see what you mean. I will admit I skipped a lot of Season 3 and some of Season 4. Mainly, because I pretty much haven't liked any characters expect for Annalise and Bonnie since season 2. I was pretty neutral on Wes and definitely think killing him off has negatively effected the show.

I am fine with Frank (away from Laurel) because he is trash and will always be trash regardless of how the writing tries to change his character. Also, no one wants to see Frank as a good guy, so that entire fake baby daddy storyline needs to stay gone. And I don't think Charlie really can play Frank any other way except for being trash.

As far as Connor goes, I just need his character to stop being so tiring. Mainly, because as long as he is whiny we will be subject to seeing mainly Annalise low key coddle him. It is obvious that Connor/Jack is a man that Peter desires in real life. I think that is what also irks me, Peter has put WAY too much of his own bias in this show. Like him making Oliver a main character just because he loves the actor. Or writing Connor and Oliver as some great love story when it makes no sense why two broke ass dudes that have to live with friends are rushing to get married. It was stupid when Frank proposed too. What damn near 40 year old killer would be that interested in a boring ass law student that just had a baby from another man. A man that she would have been trying to stay with if he was alive. Peter really can't write relationships for sh!t.

Sadly, I never felt that Annalise was ever going to be written realistically because it was obvious from the beginning that Peter wanted the kids to be the center of the story and Annalise pretty much their enemy. He definitely wants this to be a CW show. I am sure if Annalise was not played by Viola this character would be completely trashed fours seasons ago. Luckily, Viola fought for her character but she is never going to be written to outshine. It is the same with how Shonda ended up trashing Olivia character on Scandal. And that is why Scandal's ratings fell by millions and never recovered. Based on the current ratings this is probably why this show probably won't get renewed after this season.

Man, I just have to admit I hate watch this show...LOL Actually, I like hanging with LSA peeps and reading the comments even more than the show. And it is mindless entertainment which is needed with all of the other craziness that is happening in the real world.

Last edited:

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
I definitely see what you mean. I will admit I skipped a lot of Season 3 and some of Season 4. Mainly, because I pretty much haven't liked any characters expect for Annalise and Bonnie since season 2. I was pretty neutral on Wes and definitely think killing him off has negatively effected the show.

I am fine with Frank (away from Laurel) because he is trash and will always be trash regardless of how the writing tries to change his character. Also, no one wants to see Frank as a good guy, so that entire fake baby daddy storyline needs to stay gone. And I don't think Charlie really can play Frank any other way except for being trash.

As far as Connor goes, I just need his character to stop being so tiring. Mainly, because as long as he is whiny we will be subject to seeing mainly Annalise low key coddle him. It is obvious that Connor/Jack is a man that Peter desires in real life. I think that is what also irks me, Peter has put WAY too much of his own bias in this show. Like him making Oliver a main character just because he loves the actor. Or writing Connor and Oliver as some great love story when it makes no sense why two broke ass law students that have to live with friends are rushing to get married. It was stupid when Frank proposed too. What damn near 40 year old killer would be that interested in a boring ass law student that just had a baby from another man. A man that she would have been trying to stay with if he was alive. Peter really can't write relationships for sh!t.

Sadly, I never felt that Annalise was ever going to be written realistically because it was obvious from the beginning that Peter wanted the kids to be the center of the story and Annalise pretty much their enemy. He definitely wants this to be a CW show. I am sure if Annalise was not played by Viola this character would be completely trashed fours seasons ago. Luckily, Viola fought for her character but she is never going to be written to outshine. It is the same with how Shonda ended up trashing Olivia character on Scandal. And that is why Scandal's ratings fell by millions and never recovered. Based on the current ratings this is probably why this show probably won't get renewed after this season.

Man, I just have to admit I hate watch this show...LOL Actually, I like hanging with LSA peeps and reading the comments even more than the show. And it is mindless entertainment which is needed with all of the other craziness that is happening in the real world.
I think Pete wanted the show to be thought off as more than just mindless entertainment but never put in the effort to make it so.
He absolutely reveled in the "most progressive show on network TV" publicity.
I think this ended up allowing them to get away with problematic writing rather than cause them to hold themselves to a higher standard. And it seems to all go back to Pete's biases which seem to be roughly the same as those of a CW show's audience which is again the same part of the people who watch this show that are the most active on social media etc.
No one should be surprised that they have CW ratings now either.

It's as if they wanted to be "shedding light on serious issues" while acting completely oblivious about them at the very same.

When they push too hard in a certain direction where your biases don't align with Pete's, it ends up ruining the fun.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
222,012 5,786 517
Alleybux
CW is absolutely right. :err I just checked my facebook and saw this on my feed..
45094358_2262312690507449_8403638654664179712_n.jpg

Get ready for Coliver's bachelor party on Thursday!

@Mencha Live chatting with everyone is truly the best part of this show.

Mavis Gary

Young Adult
Reaction score
Reactions
69,379 1,698 714
Alleybux
Yeah i'm not here for Annalise acting dumb so that Connor can be elevated to some moral/intellectual superiority position especially since she won the case following her own strategy in the end. The social warrior thing is just laughable.
Depth just doesn't suit Connor. People liked him because he was a selfish, superficial hoe plain and simple. Oliver is being all revisionist now. b!tch go watch seasons 1-2, you fell in love with Connor because you had low self esteem and a pretty boy fµcked you.
giphy.gif

The Nate sr. case has been dragged for way too long and we all knew how it was gonna end. Sometimes this show feels like they're re-hashing the same scenes over and over again.

And i couldn't care less why Nate is investigating Bonnie's past, if they wanted him to have a good reason they should have given one to him from the start. It's just a plot device, it's not that deep.

To re-cap the FFs and the Coliver wedding:
Annalise slaps Frank
Bonnie helps someone "transition" to a better place
Laurel only notices her son is missing when she sees him with Bonnie
Bonnie has Nate's phone
Connor looks like an opossum slapped him
Asher is going down on Connor's mother in a parking lot
giphy.gif

Thanks for the cliffs of the wedding. Dunno why a couple pages before people are speculating Frank.

It better not be Oliver.

I need some heavy clues about Gabe by the mid season finale.