Quantcast

HTGAWM Afterparty

real ness

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,732 340 427
Alleybux
Web cast & crew group call. Going over what the show meant to them and the characters.

I DID not recognise Asher.

Noticeably absent is Wes.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,973 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
somebodies b!tch ass spoiled that

christophe is still alive

on twitter so... is it worth it to catch up? i haven't watched this show since early last year i think...

TeeJaazi

Argue with your mother.
Reaction score
Reactions
175,259 4,979 798
Alleybux
somebodies b!tch ass spoiled that

christophe is still alive

on twitter so... is it worth it to catch up? i haven't watched this show since early last year i think...

Yes and that’s not true...

Melrose Monroe

Making LSA great again.
Reaction score
Reactions
148,981 1,841 311
Alleybux
Who is that in the second row to the far left? I keep staring thinking his character will pop into my head but I don’t recognize him at all. Who is this man?

HelloKitty811

You’re the facsimile, I’m the original.
Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
Who is that in the second row to the far left? I keep staring thinking his character will pop into my head but I don’t recognize him at all. Who is this man?
I watched it on Thursday but if I remember correctly, then that would be Pete Nowalk (showrunner),

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
I’m sorry but Alfred Enoch really needed to be included on this. Fans (me) would have appreciated his input in this.

real ness

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,732 340 427
Alleybux
Not to make fun of him but Matt (Asher) really do look close to something depressed.

Was Charlie and Liza in the same spot? :D

Also no Billy Brown. And did she ask Rome anything? lol

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
Not to make fun of him but Matt (Asher) really do look close to something depressed.

Was Charlie and Liza in the same spot? :D

Also no Billy Brown. And did she ask Rome anything? lol
I didn’t recognize Matt at first either. Also, he was so serious.

I think those two broke up a little while back

She did but left Rome for last smh. There wasn’t much to ask him as his character was pointless and clearly a great value Wes.

Last edited:

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
I think he caught tonsillitis......trying that Speedy Gonzales accent they gave him at the end
His “accent” made me laugh when I wasn’t supposed to:ROFLMAO:
That ending was supposed to be meaningful not humorous.

Last edited:

ZeusAlmighty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
133,591 3,623 1,142
Alleybux
I actually wouldn't blame Alfred Enoch if he was invited but chose not to go lol. They did him and his character dirty, and the show suffered for it.

MajesticLife

Beautiful Everything
Reaction score
Reactions
50,834 1,817 334
Alleybux
They could have had the kids do a walk through to

Young Wes (Christophe Edmund)
Issac Ryan Brown
latest

Young Gabriel Maddox
Dante Verica
upload_2020-5-18_13-57-50.jpeg

Conrad (Oliver) says Tegan needs a spin off.

MajesticLife

Beautiful Everything
Reaction score
Reactions
50,834 1,817 334
Alleybux

The two seasons following him being killed off the show dropped double digits in ratings each year. It was a bad way to toy with the fans and bringing in value saver flea market Wes to live in the same apartment and become a new face in the Keating Crew was insulting and just made it worse. It came off like a personal attack because they literally tried to find "insert any medium brown Black guy here" and have him in the show like the Keating five was a singing group.

They did the same thing when DC came out with "Same My Name" Video with two new members and acted like fans wouldn't notice. They did the same thing when darkskin Aunt Viv went upstairs and light skin Aunt Viv came down like no one was supposed to care. It was so wrong. It was especially wrong for Wes because DC had to continue and needed new members, Fresh Prince had to continue and they really needed an Aunt Viv character. Did the show need a replacement Wes? It made no doggone sense. I'm starting to think that Wes didn't let P Nowalk smash and so he was ousted from the show (like T.J Holmes show was canceled because he wasn't meeting people on the casting couch). He also hasn't had any work in the States since he was killed off of the show like there was possibly blackball as well. You can see trauma in his eyes now. The bringing him back 3 seasons later in the very last episode was only because the fans went ham and wouldn't let up for the past 3 years.

Last edited:

real ness

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,732 340 427
Alleybux
The two seasons following him being killed of the show dropped double digits in ratings each year. It was a bad way to toy with the fans and bringing in value saver flea market Wes to live in the same apartment and become a new face in the Keating Crew was insulting and just made it worse. It came off like a personal attack because they literally tried to find "insert any medium brown Black guy here" and have him in the show like the Keating five was a singing group.

They did the same thing when DC came out with "Same My Name" Video with two new members and acted like fans wouldn't notice. They did the same thing when darkskin Aunt Viv went upstairs and light skin Aunt Viv came down like no one was supposed to care. It was so wrong. It was especially wrong for Wes because DC had to continue and needed new members, Fresh Prince had to continue and they really needed an Aunt Viv character. Did the show need a replacement Wes? It made no doggone sense. I'm starting to think that Wes didn't let P Nowalk smash and so he was ousted from the show (like T.J Holmes show was canceled because he wasn't meeting people on the casting couch). He also hasn't had any work in the States since he was killed off of the show like there was a blackball as well. You can see trauma in his eyes now. The bringing him back 3 seasons later in the very last episode was only because the fans went ham and wouldn't let up for the past 3 years.

Wow....you still have 15 minutes left in your hour session.

So why even come back and grace them at all if he was so hurt?

MajesticLife

Beautiful Everything
Reaction score
Reactions
50,834 1,817 334
Alleybux
Wow....you still have 15 minutes left in your hour session.

So why even come back and grace them at all if he was so hurt?

His former cast members and the fans had nothing to do with why he was written off of the show. In addition to losing such a high profile role, his reputation would suffer if he showed he was bitter enough not to show up for the fans. He isn't the first major character to be oddly ousted from a show at its peak. He also wants to work in Hollywood again or else him going through all those years of learning an American accent would be for naught. Its called taking your L's and being a bigger person.

real ness

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,732 340 427
Alleybux
His former cast members and the fans had nothing to do with why he was written off of the show. In addition to losing such a high profile role, his reputation would suffer if he showed he was bitter enough not to show up for the fans. He isn't the first major character to be oddly ousted from a show at its peak. He also wants to work in Hollywood again or else him going through all those years of learning an American accent would be for naught. Its called taking your L's and being a bigger person.

How do you know it wasn't another reason, perhaps more his doing, that got him kicked off.....? For argument's sake.

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
The two seasons following him being killed off the show dropped double digits in ratings each year. It was a bad way to toy with the fans and bringing in value saver flea market Wes to live in the same apartment and become a new face in the Keating Crew was insulting and just made it worse. It came off like a personal attack because they literally tried to find "insert any medium brown Black guy here" and have him in the show like the Keating five was a singing group.

They did the same thing when DC came out with "Same My Name" Video with two new members and acted like fans wouldn't notice. They did the same thing when darkskin Aunt Viv went upstairs and light skin Aunt Viv came down like no one was supposed to care. It was so wrong. It was especially wrong for Wes because DC had to continue and needed new members, Fresh Prince had to continue and they really needed an Aunt Viv character. Did the show need a replacement Wes? It made no doggone sense. I'm starting to think that Wes didn't let P Nowalk smash and so he was ousted from the show (like T.J Holmes show was canceled because he wasn't meeting people on the casting couch). He also hasn't had any work in the States since he was killed off of the show like there was a blackball as well. You can see trauma in his eyes now. The bringing him back 3 seasons later in the very last episode was only because the fans went ham and wouldn't let up for the past 3 years.

Hmmm. Interesting. Never thought of this angle. I read a few interviews with Pete soon after the departure of Wes and got the feeling that he really did not know who he would eliminate until the very last minute. Also, at the time, there was a VERY vocal minority on social media who advocated for Was to be killed off. It seemed like that tipped the scale and he took that into consideration and decided to do the unexpected.

This makes sense as well. It is Hollywood after all! I found it odd that he didn’t book anything else in the states after he left the show. He was booked and busy in the UK but I thought that that was what he wanted.

Last edited:

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux

He isn't black balled
This is from last year when according to Deadline he was getting early offers in the 2019 pilot season
Pilot Season 2019 Actors Hot List: Carrie ****, Malin Akerman, Lizzy Caplan & Santiago Cabrera Among Top Choices – Deadline

He ended up doing a movie in Brazil instead.
Executive Order - IMDb

He declined offers from the US and Europe to be able to film it in the spring, in the summer he was leading a play created by Idris Elba and before filming the HTGAWM cameo he was shooting a movie in Europe. He would have been in Romeo & Juliet at The Globe in London if it wasn't for Corrona right now. The gigs he got since being written off HTGAWM are probably better than what he would have gotten in the US (it's not as if there are that many shows or movies with actors like Alfie as leads) but i think people still buy into the social media buzz myth a little too much in the sense that it's become common knowledge that a small supporting part in a very commercial project does more for a career than a leading one in a less mainstream. Buzz almost never translates to a career especially not for actors in tv shows - most of the hyped up during a show's run faves tend to fade away with their shows and it's usually the unsuspectables that go on to have a decent career.

I mean if you were going by the HTGAWM social media fan base 4 years ago Jack was the king of Hollywood by now and Alfie was flipping burgers.

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
He isn't black balled
This is from last year when according to Deadline he was getting early offers in the 2019 pilot season
Pilot Season 2019 Actors Hot List: Carrie ****, Malin Akerman, Lizzy Caplan & Santiago Cabrera Among Top Choices – Deadline

He ended up doing a movie in Brazil instead.
Executive Order - IMDb

He declined offers from the US and Europe to be able to film it in the spring, in the summer he was leading a play created by Idris Elba and before filming the HTGAWM cameo he was shooting a movie in Europe. He would have been in Romeo & Juliet at The Globe in London if it wasn't for Corrona right now. The gigs he got since being written off HTGAWM are probably better than what he would have gotten in the US (it's not as if there are that many shows or movies with actors like Alfie as leads) but i think people still buy into the social media buzz myth a little too much in the sense that it's become common knowledge that a small supporting part in a very commercial project does more for a career than a leading one in a less mainstream. Buzz almost never translates to a career especially not for actors in tv shows - most of the hyped up during a show's run faves tend to fade away with their shows and it's usually the unsuspectables that go on to have a decent career.

I mean if you were going by the HTGAWM social media fan base 4 years ago Jack was the king of Hollywood by now and Alfie was flipping burgers.

Thanks for the info about the pilot offers. Had no idea about those. Actually, I’m glad that he was able to take on these various projects. His roles post HTGAWM are diverse and I’m sure that he was able to sharpen his skill set as an actor.

ZeusAlmighty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
133,591 3,623 1,142
Alleybux
How do you know it wasn't another reason, perhaps more his doing, that got him kicked off.....? For argument's sake.
Because:

1. Alfred was universally loved on set.

2. Any info implying that Alfred was the cause of his character being written off the show would've leaked by now.

3. Pete Nowalk (the showrunner) has a habit of using cheap shock value to grab ratings.

4. Even ABC were unhappy with Nowalk's decision to kill Alfred's character off.

If you haven't watched the show then what I'm saying might be difficult to understand.

Watch the show and you'll understand how Alfred's character's death spelled the downward spiral of the show.

Last edited:

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
Because Alfred was universally loved on set + such info would've been leaked by now + the showrunner has a habit of using cheap shock value to grab ratings.
Which is ironic as that habit always had the opposite effect on the ratings - but as long as the people who kiss his ass on twitter and reddit (Jack recently admitted to participating in the show's subreddit and do take that as you will) are happy.

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
Hmmmmm. Really?
Which is ironic as that habit always had the opposite effect on the ratings - but as long as the people who kiss his ass on twitter and reddit (Jack recently admitted to participating in the show's subreddit and do take that as you will) are happy.

HelloKitty811

Reaction score
Reactions
55,032 961 40
Alleybux
Okay proof! You are coming through with the receipts in this thread. Much appreciated.
I wonder if he ever shared what he found in those forums with Pete (of course he did). Nowalks’s decisions surely must have been affected by the stans.

OAN The stylist needs to be beaten for sourcing that wig for Aja. THAT is the most unsightly one she has ever worn. They were never able to get it right with her were they? The detail of the side sweep of the bangs is just atrocious. I know she is elated to be able to set her own hair free.

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
Okay proof! You are coming through with the receipts in this thread. Much appreciated.
I wonder if he ever shared what he found in those forums with Pete (of course he did). Nowalks’s decisions surely must have been affected by the stans.

OAN The stylist needs to be beaten for sourcing that wig for Aja. THAT is the most unsightly one she has ever worn. They were never able to get it right with her were they? The detail of the side sweep of the bangs is just atrocious. I know she is elated to be able to set her own hair free.
I remember in S2 with the Hapstall plot an episode ended with a cliffhanger where it looked as if Phillip Jessup kidnapped Oliver. I remember Pete responding to someone he'd never have Oliver hurt or killed off because "you guys would stop watching". A year later he kills off Wes and you know it was too big of a kill for him to not have planned it. I mean he talked about clearing it up with ABC(they weren't enthusiastic about it).

There's also this article about the cast reacting to it : How the 'How to Get Away With Murder' Cast Reacted to That Devastating Death

Besides the fµck up it created for the story - they never really found where to go with the show after Wes was written off. They just kept introducing numerous plots and characters which ended up being abandoned - it's as if nothing noteworthy happened in the last 3 seasons of the show, i think it created some substantial BTS awkwardness. If nothing else it seems to have burst the "we're all besties" bubble. Karla leaving when it was known they were going on their last season is telling too.
With them being so conscious of what was going on about the show on social media and Pete making it known Connor was his pet character every chance he got, it makes you wonder if there was some awkwardness especially with Wes being written off making them realize they're all fair game - except Connor of course. It's also telling how they didn't dare kill anyone mayor off in the following two seasons.

Last edited:

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,973 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
I remember in S2 with the Hapstall plot an episode ended with a cliffhanger where it looked as if Phillip Jessup kidnapped Oliver. I remember Pete responding to someone he'd never have Oliver hurt or killed off because "you guys would stop watching". A year later he kills off Wes and you know it was too big of a kill for him to not have planned it. I mean he talked about clearing it up with ABC(they weren't enthusiastic about it).

There's also this article about the cast reacting to it : How the 'How to Get Away With Murder' Cast Reacted to That Devastating Death

Besides the fµck up it created for the story - they never really found where to go with the show after Wes was written off. They just kept introducing numerous plots and characters which ended up being abandoned - it's as if nothing noteworthy happened in the last 3 seasons of the show, i think it created some substantial BTS awkwardness. If nothing else it seems to have burst the "we're all besties" bubble. Karla leaving when it was known they were going on their last season is telling too.
With them being so conscious of what was going on about the show on social media and Pete making it known Connor was his pet character every chance he got, it makes you wonder if there was some awkwardness especially with Wes being written off making them realize they're all fair game - except Connor of course. It's also telling how they didn't dare kill anyone mayor off in the following two seasons.
lemme tag @DC123 and @fanon cause IIRC they always had the best to say about this show!

really sorry to hear pete kept up the bs, but thanks for giving for finding some possible tea. why does it seem like shondaland productions always have some crazy sh!t happening bts?

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,960 5,786 517
Alleybux
@Calii :dance

I have no tea but just observations. I remember Pete was going and on about Viola loving her jail stint in season 3 when it's obvious she felt the exact opposite. When she was on Good Morning America she seemed "thrilled". Viola later when on to call it a soap opera when asked about it during the same season.

After that it seems like she would promote the show for like 30 seconds in these interviews and go on to another talking point.
Every subsequent season she has posted less and less behind the scenes pics with this one practically being nonexistent. It's like Pete had to keep the character "in her place" after he killed off Wes. Anytime Annalise would be strong someone would knock her back down and she would take the abuse. I'm honestly surprised he let her die of old age instead of getting shot up at the court house.

Last edited:

ZeusAlmighty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
133,591 3,623 1,142
Alleybux

I have no tea but just observations. I remember Pete was going and on about Viola loving her jail stint in season 3 when it's obvious she felt the exact opposite. Good Morning America and seemed "thrilled". She later when on to call it a soap opera when asked about it during the same season.

After that it seems like she would promote the show for like 30 seconds in these interviews and go on to another talking point.
Every subsequent season she has posted less and less behind the pics with this one practically being nonexistent. It's like Pete had to keep the character "in her place" after he killed off Wes. Anytime Annalise would be strong someone would knock her back down and she would take the abuse. I'm honestly surprised he let her die of old age instead of getting shot up at the court house.
@GrahamCracker Of course Pete's favourite Annalise story arc was when she was battered, broken, and incarcerated. Of course.

What more can we expect from a man who sees the visibility of Type 4 hair as a means of expressing "grit" and "rawness"? :disdain

I've noticed that gay white men love the "broken but strong black woman" trope.

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux

I have no tea but just observations. I remember Pete was going and on about Viola loving her jail stint in season 3 when it's obvious she felt the exact opposite. When she was on Good Morning America she seemed "thrilled". Viola later when on to call it a soap opera when asked about it during the same season.

Every subsequent season she has posted less and less behind the scenes pics with this one practically being nonexistent. It's like Pete had to keep the character "in her place" after he killed off Wes. Anytime Annalise would be strong someone would knock her back down and she would take the abuse. I'm honestly surprised he let her die of old age instead of getting shot up at the court house.

My favorite was when she pivoted from talking about the show to her aunt's boobs.

The carnage after her win in court was Pete's classic Annalise can never catch a break twist. He even explained it as Annalise's failure to protect Bonnie even if it was Frank fµck!ng up and as always Pete is completely oblivious to it because somehow Frank is never responsible for his own actions.

The way he described his approach to writing for a diverse ensemble of characters was by his own admission superficial - he had no idea what the hell he was doing. It's the actors who would help him with it. But he seems to be particularly obtuse about these things. Karla said that she agreed to Laurel being latina on the condition that her family wouldn't be made to be drug cartel - and yet Pete still wrote the Castillo's as if they were just that. I mean Vivian is literally the crackhead mother even if a recovered one and she was introduced after he was running this show and writing on Scandal for a minute and yet he goes for the most problematic and overused stereotype of a trope.
His blind spots and his stereotypical understanding of the characters are, you know, the default. What i don't understand is why he's been so obtuse about this.
While it's understandable he can't relate to most of the characters, it's not understandable that he wouldn't show any curiosity as a show runner to explore the humanity and POV of the characters that differ from him the most instead of reducing them to plot devices or foils for the characters he could relate to.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,973 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
I finally finished the entire show earlier this morning, slept on it, and am revisting this forum and thread...

You could see boredom coming off of her in waves.. I know she's a normally very cool, calm, collected woman during interviews and press, but this was different. She was very upfront saying she didn't know where the show was going and how she hoped things would get better, too.

The lead of the damn show. And she has no idea if her character is going to find peace. This is reminding me of Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead. What a mess!

Watching the last few episodes of the series, there were moments i could see Vi had thrown in the towel with her acting. She wasn't giving anymore than she was getting from the script and direction, and I couldn't hold it against her. I'm sure she really tried her best to turn things around - in fact, her input shows with the few joys Anna did have in the last 2 or 3 episodes; she smiled and cried with joy, was honest about her fears, flaws, skills, and traits in such a joyous way I considering praising god (lol!). That scene with her closing arguments in the courthouse was so moving in an authentic, enlightening way.

That's how I know that was Viola's touch. Pete has never and will never be able to write anything like that for even White characters.

You can tell Pete had a decent amount of input on Scandal because his fascination with seeing Black women broken down to puddles of nothing was clear as day with Olivia Pope.

@GrahamCracker Of course Pete's favourite Annalise story arc was when she was battered, broken, and incarcerated. Of course.

What more can we expect from a man who sees the visibility of Type 4 hair as a means of expressing "grit" and "rawness"? :disdain

I've noticed that gay white men love the "broken but strong black woman" trope.

Pete strikes me as one of those over-privileged White men who has never even has true struggles with his sexuality like other LGBTQ people have. He lives in a cloudy bubble he thinks is sunshine and roses, and pushes stereotypes on non-White people because that's all he knows and finds interesting. He even pushes stereotypes about gay people: Oliver and Connor as a married couple engaging in hard drugs and orgies when Oliver is/was an HIV positive man? It's a wonder he didn't make one of them a secret drag queen.

But for the Black women (and men) in this show, they all had deficits that didn't seem natural. Sure people can and do have hardships like that, including people of color. But what boggles my mind is that Pete is unable to make these stories feel organic instead of some cut-and-dry crap he gleaned from Buzzfeed or Fox News circa 1987. It's weird.

I had no idea Karla/the actress who played Laurel did not want her racial identity tied to cartel storylines. The fact Pete/the writers went against that says everything to me: Pete was not a collaborative showrunner, he was not a good boss, an worse creative, and not an ally for anyone on set.

I'm wondering if he and Alfie bumped heads somehow? Cause I really wonder if it was JUST the stans on Twitter/Reddit that made him feel it was OK to bump Wes off.

Speaking of... Bringing that man back to play his own son.. I can accept it but having Christophe come back after a faked death would have been better.

Rome is so cute*

*sarcasm. Why does anyone talk to him? His role on the show was useless.

Last edited:

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,960 5,786 517
Alleybux
@Calii During the episode of Sam incest sh!t you could really tell that Viola couldn't even believe what the script entailed. After the 2nd season Oliver became a walking stereotype. I never saw any great love between the two. You are spot about Pete and his writing for black characters.

Viola has always said that she wanted Annalise to find a great a love and the fact that Pete couldn't even do that is so disappointing. I posted this in a different thread but these came up on my Instagram feed. Viola clearly has love for the Annalise/Eve relationship...What does Pete do? He doesn't bring Famke back until Annalise is dead, Tegan's crush went nowhere, and Robert's existence had no purpose. Not to mention crack head and Emmett from the previous seasons.
100099641_10157305990927083_2410371346283364352_o.jpg

100090252_10157305990832083_8767079624770322432_o.jpg

Last edited:

real ness

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,732 340 427
Alleybux
What was the point of even bringing Famke back? She was gone and all of a sudden she was a pivotal role at her remembrance....

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,960 5,786 517
Alleybux
What was the point of even bringing Famke back? She was gone and all of a sudden she was a pivotal role at her remembrance....
Given their history I thought it made perfect sense but at the same time Pete could have brought her back at anytime instead of wasting time on love interests that went nowhere. o_O He surely could have at least wrote a present day scene with Famke so we could see where each stood in eachothers lives. Eve acted like a grieving widow.