HTGAWM Star Breaks Down the 'Ridiculous' Plot Against [Spoiler]

Robyn McCall

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,190 772 41
Alleybux
htgawm.jpg

Somehow, Wes Gibbins is causing more chaos in death than he ever did in life. And that’s really saying something.

On Thursday’s episode of How to Get Away With Murder, the effects of Wes’ death continued to ripple through Middleton’s campus and the Philadelphia court system, leading to (1) a deeply uncomfortable funeral service, (2) an unsettling family matter for Annalise and (3) a truly “WTF?!” moment at the morgue.

TVLine spoke with Billy Brown, the man behind Nate, to get his thoughts on that episode-ending revelation and whether viewers should be wary of the detective in the final weeks of Season 3.

htgawm-billy-brown.jpg

TVLINE | Prior to getting the script for this episode, had you spoken with series creator Pete Nowalk about Nate becoming a suspicious factor in Wes’ death?

No. That kind of detail would not be shared with me. When we did the pilot, and I probably had two or three scenes, I had no clue how they were going to relate to the following episode. Pete just said, “Don’t worry. It’s going to be great. It’s going to be a lot of stuff you probably haven’t done before. But just trust in the process.” And that stands true for Season 3, Episodes 11 and 12.

TVLINE | So, in that case, what was your reaction to learning that Nate and Wes encountered each other at Annalise’s house, prior to the fire? Did it make sense to you, since we did know that Nate was in the house at some point?
I was surprised that Wes pops in. Because keep in mind, from the beginning of the season, the actors were confronted with each of their characters possibly being under the sheet. There was always heightened speculation about that. So, yeah, I was surprised [when Nate and Wes saw each other], but you get acclimated to low-oxygen survival. It’s a high-altitude tightrope act.

TVLINE | Nate seems to be at the center of a lot of shady business. The medical examiner first tells him that Wes’ cause of death was not the fire, then says it is the fire. Then, in this week’s episode, someone signs Nate’s name to the transfer papers for Wes’ body. Can you speak to how soon we’ll get an answer about what’s going on?
With this being Episode 12 out of our 15, there’s a lot you’re going to find out quite quickly in the next three weeks.

TVLINE | Do you have any guesses as to who signed Nate’s name on those transfer papers?
No guesses. But it was done in such an amateur-ish way. To think that you’d be able to forge Detective Lahey’s signature, and have him and others not immediately raise an Olympian amount of suspicion, is almost absurd, in Lahey’s assessment. He thinks, “This is the most f—king ridiculous thing ever.” So it can’t be someone with too big a brain. It emboldens Lahey to move forward on that trajectory, and his force of will grows greater and greater with every possible impugning of his character. He’s not faltering at all in the face of these growing storms around him.

TVLINE | Where do you think Nate’s loyalties lie right now?
To himself. To himself, for sure.

TVLINE | Should viewers be trusting him, then, if he’s only looking out for himself?
Lahey can be trusted. The question is more pointed if asked, “Who can trust Lahey?” Because those in his immediate orbit can’t trust themselves or one another. Lahey’s reaction of only having loyalty to himself is based entirely upon prior circumstances, generated by the scallywags and all the skullduggery that continues to bombard his shores.

TVLINE | That’s a very poetic way of putting it.
Oh, thanks. I wrote that down at the start of the season, and I’ve been waiting to use it. [Laughs] But I have to say, it really just gets better. Everything that’s been crafted up ’til now, with the suspicions and back-stabbings and unknowns, it really gets deeper and darker. There’s huge things that have happened with respect to the Mahoney family. That’s definitely something to lick your chops over.

http://tvline.com/2017/02/09/how-to-get-away-with-murder-recap-season-3-episode-12-nate-kill-wes/

alluregoddess

I wish you… an ounce of luck.
Reaction score
Reactions
292,205 3,426 476
Alleybux
Hmmmm so maybe The Mahoney family had something to do with Wes' death?

Eternal Love

Renewing my Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
9,214 73 30
Alleybux
Yeah I didn't think Nate would screw himself like that so somebody must have forged his signature. I think whoever was Wes' contact, "In Case of Emergency" is behind some of this trickery. That person must have some pull for Wes to call somebody from the past that knew him as Christophe.

The Throne

Black.women.are.top.tier
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
314,753 1,985 406
Alleybux
It was obvious at least to me he didn't sign that form. The mistake is just too stupid. He's being set up and although I did think he may have killed Wes I actually don't at least for now.

Soca Priestess

High Ranking Socatologist
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
265,467 2,958 645
Alleybux
I don't care what anyone says: that b!tch ADA is involved and her and that travesty of wig needs to fry.

Capricorngirl

Caps Do It Better!
Reaction score
Reactions
146,274 2,581 1,207
Alleybux
I'm glad Nate finally got another storyline besides being Annalise's sidepiece.

I do wanna see him and AK get busy again tho....:mwalkright:

Disclosure

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,446 2,162 673
Alleybux
I can't believe they didn't question that signature, even nate! I'm still eying meggy, that prick from their class and the ada. There are many but can't list all of them.

Estella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,406 83 38
Alleybux
TVLINE | Nate seems to be at the center of a lot of shady business. The medical examiner first tells him that Wes’ cause of death was not the fire, then says it is the fire. Then, in this week’s episode, someone signs Nate’s name to the transfer papers for Wes’ body. Can you speak to how soon we’ll get an answer about what’s going on?
With this being Episode 12 out of our 15, there’s a lot you’re going to find out quite quickly in the next three weeks.

TVLINE | That’s a very poetic way of putting it.
Oh, thanks. I wrote that down at the start of the season, and I’ve been waiting to use it. [Laughs] But I have to say, it really just gets better. Everything that’s been crafted up ’til now, with the suspicions and back-stabbings and unknowns, it really gets deeper and darker. There’s huge things that have happened with respect to the Mahoney family. That’s definitely something to lick your chops over.

http://tvline.com/2017/02/09/how-to-get-away-with-murder-recap-season-3-episode-12-nate-kill-wes/
I hope so. The first two episodes after the break were underwhelming to me. Last night's was good, but that was mainly because of Annaliese and her parents.

The Mahoney's have something to do with Wes' death? Or maybe they have issue with Annaliese?

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,893 2,116 1,477
Alleybux
I can't believe they didn't question that signature, even nate! I'm still eying meggy, that prick from their class and the ada. There are many but can't list all of them.

don't forget the sister of her dead husband. i wouldn't be surprised if she torched the home & Wes & Laurel got caught in the aftermath.

Disclosure

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,446 2,162 673
Alleybux
don't forget the sister of her dead husband. i wouldn't be surprised if she torched the home & Wes & Laurel got caught in the aftermath.
Yeah lol that's why I said there are too many to list cause AK has pissed off a lot of people. :crushed: She has a sharp tongue and cuts deep when she lashes out.

Robyn McCall

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,190 772 41
Alleybux
Another suspect in Wes’ (Alfred Enoch) murder case emerged in the latest episode of “How to Get Away With Murder,” and it’s none other than Nate Lahey (Billy Brown).In a flashback to the night of the house fire when Wes was killed, it was revealed that Nate had walked into Annalise’s house and came face-to-face with Wes, prior to his death.

In present day, Laurel (Karla Souza) was released from the hospital, just in time for Wes’ memorial service where she spoke in his remembrance and ended up having a breakdown.

As part of Laurel’s downward spiral in the aftermath of Wes’ death — remember, she is pregnant with his baby — she asked Nate to help her sneak in to see Wes’ body. Nate ended up taking her down to see the corpse, but when he unzipped his body bag, Wes was missing and had been replaced with another body. At the end of the episode, Nate was called in to speak with A.D.A. Atwood (Milauna Jackson) and A.D.A. Denver (Benito Martinez), who brought out paperwork that revealed someone had signed for Wes’ body to be moved to another morgue — and that someone was Nate.

The look on Nate’s face says that he thinks he’s being framed, but if anything good came out of Wes’ body being moved, it ended up being the evidence that Bonnie (Liza Weil) needed to get Annalise (Viola Davis) out of jail.

Here, Billy Brown talks to Variety about the whereabouts of Wes’ body, who’s framing him, and if he could have killed Wes…
I’m going to ask you loud and clear: what was Nate doing in Annalise’s house the night of the house fire?
I got a call from Annalise and went to swing by and make sure everything was all right, considering her ongoing battle with alcoholism, so I am leaving the courthouse to swing by the house and see the door open from a distance and then of course then I see wreckage by the fireplace of personal possessions and paperwork and so forth, so that’s just the detective in Lahey — to him, something doesn’t feel right.

Okay, but you did run into Wes…moments before he was killed. Should viewers read into Nate being there the night of Wes’ murder?
Is it ever safe to read into what we do here at “HTGAWM”? Every image is possibly loaded with subtext and possibilities. At face value, Nate Lahey is as much a suspect as anyone else from Frank (Charlie Weber) to the Mahoneys. It doesn’t look good for Lahey at this moment.

So, you could be the killer. Do you know who killed Wes?
No. I like to know as little as possible. I read the scripts on the day of the table read for the first time…So I don’t know what’s going to happen to Wes.

Who do you think killed Wes?
Frank and the Mahoney family, those are some primary suspects in detective Lahey’s sights.

That paperwork said that Nate cleared Wes’ body to be moved to another morgue — is that true or is Nate being framed?
It’s true! He did it! 100 percent. He moved the body, burned the puppy, he did all of it. [Laughing]

So you just spoiled the entire season?! [Laughing] But really, is Nate being framed?
The fact that someone, whether it be the DA’s office or in between, would think that they could neatly sign his signature on what would otherwise be primary evidence to be admitted to court and not have one of Philly’s best detectives figure out who the hell is f–king with him, it’s complete amateur hour — this is Lahey’s perspective. It only emboldens him and strengthens his force of will and sets him on this unwavering trajectory of where he needs to go. And now he has his own ulterior motives — this is not just to help Annalise or to find out who killed Wes.

Even if Nate is being framed, couldn’t this be major trouble for him?
Oh yeah. Of course. This is something that could really have devastating effects, not just career-wise, but personally. This is very big. To put this on Lahey to try to cover up, this could be completely devastating for the guy. It’s game on. Whatever tryst he and Atwood had in bed, his loyalties only are for him. It doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care about Annalise or her mother, but Lahey has learned the hard way that he has to look out for himself. He can’t trust anyone. He moves forward and knows he has to do what needs to be done.

Annalise is finally out of jail — for good, or could she end up back there?
She could end up back there. And Lahey knows that he could end up back there. What happened to Sam and Rebecca and Lila Stangard [in Season 1], it might be on the back-burner, but none of those things are completely resolved. At any given moment, Annalise or he can find his ass in jail.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/how...-wes-body-missing-nate-house-fire-1201981759/

JR9386

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,402 487 1,075
Alleybux
I'm glad Nate finally got another storyline besides being Annalise's sidepiece.

I do wanna see him and AK get busy again tho....:mwalkright:

IIRC, Viola Davis stated that she will no longer be doing scenes like that throughout the rest of the show's duration.

I commend her for that because the way the writers did Michaela in season 2 have had me suspicious about what they're trying to do here.

The season finale only further confirmed my suspicions. Having Laurel walking around like Michaela's pimp. :disdain: