Quantcast

HTGAWM: What the Writers SHOULD'VE Done - Discussion Thread

StableGenius

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,600 1,456 936
Alleybux
Ok so, as someone who was with the show since day one, I was very underwhelmed with the final like, two seasons of the show.

I actually liked it when Annalise was more mysterious and you couldn't tell if she was good or bad. They tried so hard to make her the good guy and "real" that they kinda ruined it and turned the show into a soap opera type, super emotional saga.

The theory that she actually did choose every student one by one for specific reasons (daddy issues, abandonment issues, etc) in order to have them kill her cheating husband was a much more exciting possibility. And that her putting them in these situations was a part of her teaching methods. Like, she chose the students with some of the same mental and emotional issues SHE had and had them experience all this crazy, real life, up close and personal drama... Including murder.... In order to make them great lawyers.

I also would've liked for Oliver to turn out to be the informant since day 1. Like he could've been the reason for the fbi having so much freaking info since season 2 or 3 it whatever. He was playing up this sweet innocent act and then, bam! He turns out or this suave, cunning, master manipulator who was pretending to even be gay. Like, his whole storyline could've been a long con.

What if ak had known that her husband had something to do with her baby dying from the beginning and she had been plotting this grand scheme to have him murdered since the beginning? Would've been a good motive.

Akimbo

Cheverly Remembrance Week: April 15-21
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
332,593 20,843 4,107
Alleybux
Ok so, as someone who was with the show since day one, I was very underwhelmed with the final like, two seasons of the show.

I actually liked it when Annalise was more mysterious and you couldn't tell if she was good or bad. They tried so hard to make her the good guy and "real" that they kinda ruined it and turned the show into a soap opera type, super emotional saga.

The theory that she actually did choose every student one by one for specific reasons (daddy issues, abandonment issues, etc) in order to have them kill her cheating husband was a much more exciting possibility. And that her putting them in these situations was a part of her teaching methods. Like, she chose the students with some of the same mental and emotional issues SHE had and had them experience all this crazy, real life, up close and personal drama... Including murder.... In order to make them great lawyers.

I also would've liked for Oliver to turn out to be the informant since day 1. Like he could've been the reason for the fbi having so much freaking info since season 2 or 3 it whatever. He was playing up this sweet innocent act and then, bam! He turns out or this suave, cunning, master manipulator who was pretending to even be gay. Like, his whole storyline could've been a long con.

What if ak had known that her husband had something to do with her baby dying from the beginning and she had been plotting this grand scheme to have him murdered since the beginning? Would've been a good motive.
I could have gotten down with this if the world hadn’t been demonizing her for the last however many seasons. As it was, her being secretly dastardly would have just proven those assholes right.

fµck those people.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,907 5,784 517
Alleybux
Part of Annalise's likability was the fact that she did a lot of fµcked up sh!t and owned it. I'm all for growth but I never needed Annalise to be "redeemed". She could be the woman to help the innocent like David Allen but still get a guilty client off. The show was much better when the focus was on Annalise/her cases. Given that the plot was already thin the cases of the week were a necessity.

sheba2004

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,364 1,657 168
Alleybux
They should've killed Laurel. I hated her so much I stopped watching for a season or two. You want characters that people like/love or love to hate, that means people are invested. You do NOT want a character so unlikable that your audience stops watching. I hated that they focused on her and her family so much that they didn't really have much time for the other characters. I also hate the whole cliche latin mafia type stories, they bore me. I was so over the whole Jorge is so big and powerful crap.

I agree with you that it got too soap opera like. It was the same thing with Scandal. Both shows were better when their cases were the focal point versus who they were in bed/relationships with. I would have liked to see AK and Connor doing more of the cases that they went to the Supreme Court for.

They brought in too many characters with stupid or no story lines. I could have done without Gabriel and his mother. Asher's sister and mother were a waste of time. Oliver needed something to do. They needed to use Tegan more. The guy that wanted to help with AK's case was just random, there really was no point in having him in there after AK didn't want to date him any further.

I absolutely hate that they made Sam a victim and had AK begging for help when she hadn't done nearly as much as anybody else.

Spoilmepink

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
6,245 107 8
Alleybux
I love the idea of Ana picking them to kill sam. After they proved loyal she shapes them to be good lawyers , they get cocky and start killing the people that they've killed thinking that they're the same level as Ana. She finally gets fed up and rats them out in the most mind fu**ing way ever. With Wes helping her take them down from the inside .

I really wanted it to be revealed to everyone that she never actually killed anyone . I think that's what frustrated me the most out of the series (aside from box face), that that was never properly addressed .

Reaction score
Reactions
5,438 436 141
Alleybux
First thing, I wouldn’t have killed off Wes, that’s when the show jumped the shark and went from a crime drama/comedy combo to straight up ridiculousness and forced storylines.
Laurel should have been the one to get shot instead of Bonnie, there are many ways the writers could have done that one (her and frank die, she jumps in front of Annaliese and sacrifices herself)
Michaela would have gotten Connor cleared of all charges due to FBI corruption and was able to gain his trust back (this probably did happen off screen in the show)
Oliver would have been revealed to have been a second mole, and would have ended up getting thrown into prison for FBI corruption.
Michaela would have had a happier ending, she would become a judge and started a law firm with Connor as her partner.
Laurel’s son would have been raised by Annaliese and Tegen, who would have gotten together.
Eve would end up with Annaliese in the last years of their lives.
I would have never made Frank an incest baby.

Stantonlikzaddy

Play Nice or Stay Out my DMs
Reaction score
Reactions
343,996 9,076 2,790
Alleybux
First thing, I wouldn’t have killed off Wes, that’s when the show jumped the shark and went from a crime drama/comedy combo to straight up ridiculousness and forced storylines.
Laurel should have been the one to get shot instead of Bonnie, there are many ways the writers could have done that one (her and frank die, she jumps in front of Annaliese and sacrifices herself)
Michaela would have gotten Connor cleared of all charges due to FBI corruption and was able to gain his trust back (this probably did happen off screen in the show)
Oliver would have been revealed to have been a second mole, and would have ended up getting thrown into prison for FBI corruption.
Michaela would have had a happier ending, she would become a judge and started a law firm with Connor as her partner.
Laurel’s son would have been raised by Annaliese and Tegen, who would have gotten together.
Eve would end up with Annaliese in the last years of their lives.
I would have never made Frank an incest baby.

This!!!

I loved Connor and Michaela's friendship and how they grew from s1

atx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,645 426 45
Alleybux
Main thing I would’ve done is kept it as case of the week style. Through those cases we got to see a lot of the different sides of Annalise and how she took down the opposition.

Killiandior

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,475 182 12
Alleybux
I wish they would have more with Connor and Annalise together. I enjoyed seeing them work together and plus they had such a fiery dynamic when Connor was whining lol

I agree about the focus on the partners/relationships especially the shift on Laurel and her family. That was unnecessary and didn’t add to the story just made everyone pretty much hate Laurel. If they were going to focus on family then it could have Wes or at least made Wes belong to Sam. Gabriel wasn’t needed more like an off brand Wes, his story could have been Wes. I don’t think they fully planned ahead for the show after his death

1997b

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,973 182 70
Alleybux
I didn't like that they introduced these characters obsessing over the past to create suspense. Wes wouldn't shut up about Rebecca, then laurel wouldn't shut up about who killed Wes and dragging them all into more mess, then Gabe appears obsessing over Sam to keep them all on their toes. I don't buy that Gabe, the activist would bother so much about redeeming his white side, someone who BOTH his mom and Annalise and everyone else told him wasn't sh!t.
I just don't believe that a 20 year old with ambitious goals would be that invested in the past.

I hated all the overdramatic scenes of Annalise screaming at a pillow in therapy and telling frank to kill himself. Just no.

Laurel was an oddly bland character despite all the family drama. I could never empathize with her.

I didn't like the incest story. They recycled that idea from the hapstall case where they had another grown incest baby appear out of nowhere while caleb and Catherine were a secret couple, too.

Last edited:

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,907 5,784 517
Alleybux
Seeing that this thread has been bumped let me add Annalise and Eve should have been end game! So much wasted potential!:arrogant Wasting time on Isaac, Emmitt from season 5, whats his name from 6, and even Tegan was such a waste of time. End rant. I've been trying to do a re-watch and I'm not liking it as much as i did originally. I just finished the episode where Eve left for California but I'm not really interested in continuing. The back half of 2 was when they show started to drag. Maybe I'll just watch the episodes i know I enjoyed.